HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#11 -- Oilers at Flyers -- November 2, 2008 -- 1:00 PM (ET)

Old
11-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
It would be nice if Stevens knew how to come up with a game plan against teams that play East West o-nse.

It would be nice if we started to play like Toronto Maple Leafs in terms of effort.

It would be nice if we could close games against teams that played 3 games in 4 nights.

It would be nice not to take a **** load of penalties.

It would be nice to forecheck.

Same lame unexplained excuse every other game from this team and head coach.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Downie really needs to stop getting ****ing slashing penalties though.
Agreed.

I'd like to note though, when the game was 2-1 in favour of the Oil, Cote and MacIntyre dropped the gloves. Needless to say, Cote got his ass kicked and the Oilers gained momentum. That was worse than Downie's penalty IMO.

I'm not going to compare Cote's hockey skills to those of Downie's...but maybe Cote should win a fight now and then, otherwise, keep his gloves on his hands...cuz the way I see it, that fight this afternoon charged the wrong team.

Also, Alberts takes more penalties than Downie...how come he doesn't miss a shift???

I'd like to Downie sent to the minors until Stevens is let go as coach, it's pretty obvious he has 'an issue' with the kid, and I don't blame Downie really. He knows he's under the microscope, and when he gets a shift I feel he's just trying to hard to impress...which is back firing and costing him.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:02 PM
bney7

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Agreed.

I'd like to note though, when the game was 2-1 in favour of the Oil, Cote and MacIntyre dropped the gloves. Needless to say, Cote got his ass kicked and the Oilers gained momentum.

I'm not going to compare Cote's hockey skills to those of Downie's...but maybe Cote should win a fight now and then, otherwise, keep his gloves on his hands...cuz the way I see it that fight this afternoon charged the wrong team.

Also, Alberts takes more penalties than Downie...how come he doesn't miss a shift???

I'd like to Downie sent to the minors until Stevens is let go as coach, it's pretty obvious he has 'an issue' with the kid, and I don't blame Downie really. He knows he's under the microscope, and when he gets a shift I feel he's just trying to hard to impress...which is back firing and costing him.
That fight had absolutely nothing to do with them losing, they were out played all game long.

bney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bney7 View Post
That fight had absolutely nothing to do with them losing, they were out played all game long.
I'm not saying the fight is why they lost, but the momentum shifted more towards the Oilers right after it.

That was my observation.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

its great that Cote is willing to drop the gloves with anyone, but he needs to start winning a few of these.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Bottom line is most of us like this Kid. However the way the game is played now your not about to see him transformed into the 2nd coming of Rick Tocchet.

Send him down and let him grow up a little.

Tommy D
Agree there. Stevens won't play him fairly, so it's best for him to play the whole year in the AHL. Stop jerking him around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Yep, he's not playing loose out there. He knows nobody has confidence in him and you can see he's just preparing for the next mistake to happen and for his ass to be planted firmly on the bench.

He's been a go-to guy everywhere he's played. Now his coach basically despises him and hates playing him. It has to be tough on your focus and confidence.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art.../1017/sports04
Quote:

PHILADELPHIA — The Flyers entered Sunday's 5-4 loss to the Edmonton Oilers as the NHL's third-most penalized team, behind only the Anaheim Ducks and the Columbus Blue Jackets.

For that they are unapologetic.

But on several occasions Sunday they seemed perplexed by the judgment of referees Dan O'Rourke and Wes McCauley, who whistled the Flyers for seven minor infractions and the Oilers for six.

"It's hard to distinguish between what a penalty is (and isn't) because it's somewhat inconsistent," Flyers captain Mike Richards said.

"Just because a guy gets by you, you can't make a desperation play because even if you touch him, the arm is going to go up.

"I don't want to say anything and get fined, but it's hard because of the inconsistency."

That was no more glaring than during the third period Sunday. After a goal by Simon Gagne drew the Flyers to within 5-4 just 20 seconds into the period, Flyers defenseman Ossi Vaananen was called for a holding penalty and argued all the way to the penalty box.

Shortly after that penalty expired, Flyers defenseman Andrew Alberts went off for interference when he stepped in front of the Oilers' Ethan Moreau after coughing up the puck at the offensive blue line, even though the two players barely touched.

"That wasn't a penalty," Flyers defenseman Kimmo Timonen said. "(Alberts) didn't do it. It looked like he was going to do something and he didn't, and the referee already had a hand up."

About three minutes after the penalty to Alberts expired, Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid was called for hooking Scott Hartnell on a breakaway, even though he barely laid a stick on him.

When asked about the third-period penalties that interrupted the flow of the game, Flyers coach John Stevens took the high road -- sort of.

"Do you mean the ones that were taken or the ones that were called?" he asked.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bney7 View Post

Absolutely right, I thought it was a great scrap and Cote fared well. How could you go out there and suck balls after an effort like that from your teams tough guy?

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:00 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
"When asked about the third-period penalties that interrupted the flow of the game, Flyers coach John Stevens took the high road -- sort of.

"Do you mean the ones that were taken or the ones that were called?" he asked."
Say what you want about Stevens, but that quote is classic!!!

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-03-2008 at 07:46 PM.
ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
"When asked about the third-period penalties that interrupted the flow of the game, Flyers coach John Stevens took the high road -- sort of.

"Do you mean the ones that were taken or the ones that were called?" he asked."

Say what you want about Stevens, but that quote is classic!!!
Mr. Cannon had mentioned something about the penalties too in the post-game interview on the website. His remarks just kind of ended around the time he said "Well I'm not gonna say how I really feel. We'll get fined," or it was something along those lines. Made me chuckle.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Antidote

Props to your GDT and fans from the Oilers board.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=568872

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote