HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sergei Kost... after 10 games review

Old
11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
centrehice

vCash: 500
Agreed.

S kost 40+ sounds about right. Less than 40 though would be a disappointment in my eyes. A step back in progress from last year. Sophomore "slump" or not.

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:09 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
is this like the Kovalev ZZZZZzzzz thread....

Sergei 4 point night on Saturday.

\c.
Sergei 7 turnovers on Saturday

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Cupmonger

I say burn the witch, he turned me into a newt!

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Mike8

I can still see S.Kostitsyn putting up 50-60 points. If he puts up less, not a big deal, but I can't imagine how 50-60 would be considered unrealistic.

He was on pace for 43 points last season. Injuries will happen to Montreal's top-six. S.Kostitsyn will get on a hot streak sooner or later, and see more playing time. The coaching staff is clearly very fond of him and will still seek to give him powerplay minutes.

Expecting 50+ is realistic. Just don't be disappointed if it's less.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Evil Ted

The one nice thing about him is that if he isnt scoring he usually isnt letting players skate by him to score on us, he also plays a strong open ice physical game.

My only knock is he takes bad penalties, kinda Koivu like at times.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Erika

Don't worry folks, he will be back on track as soon as next week, No worries !!

Sergei will be there when it'll counts the most, he was just a bit down from what happened to his big Brother, it's understandable.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:36 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Don't worry folks, he will be back on track as soon as next week, No worries !!

Sergei will be there when it'll counts the most, he was just a bit down from what happened to his big Brother, it's understandable.

No it's not....what the hell...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder11 View Post
I just dropped both in my pool+pleks last nite
Don't worry, I did the same

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I think that SKost and Lang are actually feeding from each other....and not on a good way. Somebody should wake up and mention how Lang's play has regressed a lot for some games now. And the thought of putting Higgins on the Saku line to put Lats on the 3rd is even more scarier...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I'm starting to wonder if it isn't due to playing with two teammates that are a lot slower than he is. He feels like a guy who might benefit from a lightning quick teammate on his line, so that he can make plays to him, both going full speed...

Somebody like, say, one day, his brother.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:40 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
S.Kost should be sent down to hamilton for a wake up call. D"agostini should be called up.
Wake up call? LOL

Sounds great except S Kost is doing a fine job on PKs and playing fine except for scoring lately.

D'agostini while a scorer is not a two way player and definitely not the type for the PK.

In any event there are other players that should go to Hamilton before Sergei. Like Lapierre who has 1 goal, is a minus one with 11 min in penalties

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 11-02-2008 at 11:46 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:10 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
No it's not....what the hell...
Didn't you know, professional hockey players cry when their friends/relatives are hurt and they can do nothing but play poorly afterwards since those things stick in their heads. That's the sign of a true professional, being concerned with others and not your play.

I mean look at Brett Favre when his father died or even kicker Matt Bryant after his son died this year. Dany Heatley has had poor stats since the Snyder incident and Alex Burrows could do nothing but mourn the loss of Luc Bourdon on the night the Canucks honoured him.

It's common znk, it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Wake up call? LOL

Sounds great except S Kost is doing a fine job on PKs and playing fine except for scoring lately.

D'agostini while a scorer is not a two way player and definitely not the type for the PK.

In any event there are other players that should go to Hamilton before Sergei. Like Lapierre who has 1 goal, is a minus one with 11 min in penalties
A) D'Agostini is a solid two-way player

B) Lapierre has been playing great hockey considering the bums he plays with. He hustles and uses his speed, hits and protects the puck.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:05 AM
BATJAM

van fan here. Any concern about Akost's lack of production? After last season, and this preseason, I was expecting him to tear it up. I know the big hit took him out for a few, but prior to that, he seemed to be the odd man out, not getting too many touches on the puck. Mind you, I've only watched 3 or 4 habs games this year. What do you all think?

BATJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:09 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATJAM View Post
van fan here. Any concern about Akost's lack of production? After last season, and this preseason, I was expecting him to tear it up. I know the big hit took him out for a few, but prior to that, he seemed to be the odd man out, not getting too many touches on the puck. Mind you, I've only watched 3 or 4 habs games this year. What do you all think?
Well he set up a Plekanec goal beautifully, using his speed and shiftiness, so maybe he's back. He started slow last year and went on a torrid pace later in the season, perhaps it's just his style.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well he set up a Plekanec goal beautifully, using his speed and shiftiness, so maybe he's back. He started slow last year and went on a torrid pace later in the season, perhaps it's just his style.
Andrei Kostitsyn is the opposite of Brian Savage.

Anyone here disappointed?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Mike8

Quote:
I believe he's an excellent talent who's still developing. This year, he's shown signs of getting bigger, meaner, and playing more well-rounded hockey. I'd like to see him dedicate himself to making an impact on every game, though.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Pascal

Quote:
It's a bit weird this year for him to me.. AKost is like a bomb that is going to explode eventually. He has a sick upside but this year you're right I feel like he's not getting enough quality time with the puck. Kovalev has it all the time.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 07:38 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I'm starting to wonder if it isn't due to playing with two teammates that are a lot slower than he is. He feels like a guy who might benefit from a lightning quick teammate on his line, so that he can make plays to him, both going full speed...

Somebody like, say, one day, his brother.
Lang may be slow but Higgins certainly wasn't...

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:46 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn is the opposite of Brian Savage.

Anyone here disappointed?

OMG no I'm not disappointed.

I think Sergei isn't playing well, give him another game or two. If he don't catch up, a SINGLE game on the PB might get him thinking and can help a youngster like him.

We need to be patient and never forget that he is a work in progress and so young...

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

My thoughts on the subject...

First, some people are expecting too much out of SK, he's a flashy player but I don't see him as a PPGM guy, he'll always have to play gritty in order to be a 60 point guy. At this point I don't see him as an 80-90 point guy...though it would be great.

Second, it would be dumb to demote him, I think Lang is a great compliment...Lats or Higgins should make taht a strong line. I think he'll get his 50+ by year end.

Third, right now he needs a bit more jump, maybe he thought things would be a bit easier, he needs to start winning foot races and 1 on 1 battles. Lats has gotten away from this the last 2-3 games after a very good start...as with all young guys, consistency is the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Wake up call? LOL

HUH?

Lapierre has been excellent so far, his game is not about getting points, it's about playing with energy and being physical which is what he's done.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-03-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
My criticism of S.Kost. is that he likes to admire his skillful passes a bit too much.

Like a few others, he's a work in progress.
+1

Some of those skillful passes should have been higher % plays which may have done more good than a "oooh that would have been awesome if it worked" play.

- Let him mature. But do not give him a free pass to keep Andrei happy.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Second season in the NHL, 10 games in

I say we trade him he is useless

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
compile

vCash: 611
OMFG PANIC!!!
Trade S. Kostitsyn!!

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:41 PM
gillyguzzler

Very talented kid will eventually break out. Last year he played well with Koivu and Higgins. This year, he's adapting to a new center, who is the complete opposite of Koivu. For sure he'd perform much better than on a line with Koivu and Tanguay or playing with Andrei and Pleks, but he's the young guy here and he needs to find some chemistry with Lang. I could see Carbo sending him for a couple of games in the press box if he doesn't show up better on the weekend.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
S.Kost should be sent down to hamilton for a wake up call. D"agostini should be called up.
while I agree that as soon as we have a chance, dagostini should be the first one to get called up, I'm strongly against the idea on sending sergei in hamilton.

s.kos is a great player , he plays well ... he enjoys the game here in mtl, and plays with grit, why would you want to get rid of such a great player?

defensively, he owns dagostini... he needs time to settle with his linemates higgins and lang... thats all... that line , when its going to clic, is going to be , by far, the best 3rd line in the nhl.

calm down buddy ... he plays well, I don't know what you're talking about... seriously...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote