HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Now I'm upset at Brooks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2008, 06:29 AM
  #1
wa2k99
Registered User
 
wa2k99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Charles IL
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Now I'm upset at Brooks

I know he gets flamed on here, and I never join in. Now I'm aggravated. I understand his point that Dawes and Callahan may not be the ideal wingers for Gomez, especially with Dawes struggling. But is he actually comparing Callahan to Mike Hudson, a fourth line center who only played half a season? Way way way over the top.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11032008...mez_136540.htm

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 07:24 AM
  #2
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Wow man, you're being sensitive. If that upsets you... wow. He compares the situation to Mess centering Hudson, so what. Unless he really means that Dawes is Hudson and Callahan is Gilbert. Then you're just being silly.

People have been clamouring for what, a month now, for Gomez to center Zherdev. Brooks says it and he gets roasted here... it's just amazing to watch as an unbiased spectator. Gomez has been gold all season and as much as I was banking on Dawes this season, he is not getting it done and Gomez is being wasted. He makes a valid point.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 07:34 AM
  #3
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,889
vCash: 500
Actually, Brooks has written two excellent columns in 2 days. This one about Gomez, and the Sunday article about concussions. I have to laugh when I read about Brent Sutter whining about his kid getting concussed while skating with his head down, when his kid hunted down and hammered Cherepanov with a forearm last season. Apparently, the rules as they apply are different in Brent's mind.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 07:36 AM
  #4
GarretJoseph
Registered User
 
GarretJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2k99 View Post
I know he gets flamed on here, and I never join in. Now I'm aggravated. I understand his point that Dawes and Callahan may not be the ideal wingers for Gomez, especially with Dawes struggling. But is he actually comparing Callahan to Mike Hudson, a fourth line center who only played half a season? Way way way over the top.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11032008...mez_136540.htm
I think you read it wrong. I think its a great article.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 07:45 AM
  #5
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I think you read it wrong. I think its a great article.
I think Gomez does need more offensive and proven wingers

I love Cally , he rocks and Dawes has some chemistry with Gomez but get some other guys on there like the start of the year

I think it's time to go with Naslund ,Dubinsky, Zherdev.............then move Drury back to the Gomez wing and for now keep Dawes

Thing is they need a 3rd line Centre.............bahhh they will figure it out or a deal will come

I imagine Prucha and Fritsche for a 3rd line C ant some point unless Korps and Anisimov improve alot in hartford and get the shot

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:07 AM
  #6
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
The point of Brooks' article is spot-on. Dont let a couple of exxagerated comparisons make you lose site of that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:12 AM
  #7
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think Gomez does need more offensive and proven wingers

I love Cally , he rocks and Dawes has some chemistry with Gomez but get some other guys on there like the start of the year

I think it's time to go with Naslund ,Dubinsky, Zherdev.............then move Drury back to the Gomez wing and for now keep Dawes

Thing is they need a 3rd line Centre.............bahhh they will figure it out or a deal will come

I imagine Prucha and Fritsche for a 3rd line C ant some point unless Korps and Anisimov improve alot in hartford and get the shot
No, they dont. In fact, another center is probably the last thing this team needs. Look, Chris Drury is overpaid..we all understand that...but the fact that he is overpaid shouldnt be a crutch that justifies why he has to be forced onto the top 2 lines.

Naslund-Gomez-Dawes
Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Callahan-Drury-Prucha
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

While overpaid, Drury is versatile enough to thrive on that 3rd line, especially considering the way Renney seems hellbent on "spreading the wealth" when it comes to the offense.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:17 AM
  #8
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
I agree with Brooks...

wouldnt mind seeing those lines above me...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:39 AM
  #9
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Yah, agree with everyone else that all of Brooks' points are valid, although I could have done without his obligatory dig at the Shanny situation.

Not sure how Dawes is going to fit in if he can't start generating offense somehow. He's now gotten a long and uninterrupted look on the top line and has nothing to show for it, unlike Callahan.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:44 AM
  #10
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,487
vCash: 500
Gomez needs new wingers, I agree with Brooks.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:51 AM
  #11
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie
 
Sad London Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london england
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
sorry I disagree with Melrose Jr.
shanny situation is totally relevant.

We dished out mega bucks on Naslund who is no spring chicken and not necessarily the right fit for Gomez. we could have had Shanny at a fraction of the Naslund's cost to the same effect. 20-30 goals playing wing with Gomez. On top of Shanny - gives you leadership and bit of toughness. Naslund will give you speed. But it seems we have enough speed as it is.

Gomez is too valuable a player to be playing with Dawes and Cally. By the same token I am not sure he is a bona fide 1st line Center of the franchise.

I think Brooks hits the nail on the head. The issue for the Rangers is Gomez!!!!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:52 AM
  #12
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
I dont mean to play devil's advocate here, but while its easy to say "Scott Gomez needs talented wingers to compliment his playmaking ability," an abundance of talented wingers is not what this team possesses. In fact, the only current member of the roster that Gomez has shown any sort of connection with is Dawes...and I dont put him under the umbrella of "talented winger" especially the way hes started the season.

I remember when the Zherdev trade was made and when Jagr walked, Gomez was quotes as saying something to the effect of "Its my job to make it work with whatever winger I play with"....well, hes putting up points, but not really gelling with anybody. Its sort of a strange situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:53 AM
  #13
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The point of Brooks' article is spot-on. Dont let a couple of exxagerated comparisons make you lose site of that.
I could have written something original here, but you already nailed it.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:54 AM
  #14
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
sorry I disagree.

shanny situation is totally relevant.

We dished out mega bucks on Naslund who is no spring chicken and not necessarily the right fit for Gomez. we could have had Shanny at a fraction of the Naslund's cost to the same effect. 20-30 goals playing wing with Gomez. On top of Shanny - gives you leadership and bit of toughness. Naslund will give you speed. But it seems we have enough speed as it is.

Gomez is too valuable a player to be playing with Dawes and Cally. By the same token I am not sure he is a bona fide 1st line Center of the franchise
Come on now. Naslund is quicker than Shanahan, younger than Shanahan, and makes less ($4 million) than Shanahan did last year ($5.3 million). Also Naslund is tied for second most points on the team with 11. What more do you want out of him?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:55 AM
  #15
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,112
vCash: 500
Bleed...

the Rangers may not have an abundance of this kind of winger, but the question is, of those the Rangers do have, should Gomez be centering one or two of them? Renney loves spreading things out - which he hopes makes certain players better and makes it tougher for other teams to defend. Interesting logic, but in practice we don't really see this a lot and the better wingers tend to play with the better centermen. Perhaps he's still experimenting to see what he has. Hopefully we'll get out of the experimental stage soon.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:56 AM
  #16
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 500
I'm still not seeing the supposed chemistry between Dawes and Gomez. Prucha had more chemistry with Gomez as far as I'm concerned.

I say scratch Dawes for a few games and stick Prucha in his place. We're getting very little production out of that line as is, so I don't think it could hurt.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
  #17
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie
 
Sad London Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london england
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Come on now. Naslund is quicker than Shanahan, younger than Shanahan, and makes less ($4 million) than Shanahan did last year ($5.3 million). Also Naslund is tied for second most points on the team with 11. What more do you want out of him?
Thats what I am saying Naslund has speed, that Shanny doesnt.
but the result is the same. Naslund will give you 25 goals (we hope) so would Shanny playing with Gomez, unless you tell me that Dawes is a better shooter of the puck than Shanny.

Shanny would have been sub 2 million IMO.....

I am not talking points - I am talking goals! we need goals to win games.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:07 AM
  #18
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
sorry I disagree with Melrose Jr.
shanny situation is totally relevant.
It's not. The time to weigh the pros and cons has passed. The Rangers have publicly said there's no interest, Shanahan is looking for other work, case closed.

Honestly, Dubi's the hottest center. Do you try Dawes with him to see what happens?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:12 AM
  #19
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It's not. The time to weigh the pros and cons has passed. The Rangers have publicly said there's no interest, Shanahan is looking for other work, case closed.

Honestly, Dubi's the hottest center. Do you try Dawes with him to see what happens?
To be honest, I am not a big fan of either Dawes or Prucha...but its gotten to the point where it might be time to try Dawes in the press box and give Prucha his minutes.

Its one thing to not be scoring, but more often that not, Dawes is absolutely invisible out there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:15 AM
  #20
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,288
vCash: 500
I would really miss Brooks if he stopped covering the Rangers.

He is the only one with a opinion of his own. Its getting pretty tireing to read Sam W position himself right between what the fans thinks and what Renney is dooing all the time. Zipay can be interesting at times, but not that often...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:21 AM
  #21
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
To be honest, I am not a big fan of either Dawes or Prucha...but its gotten to the point where it might be time to try Dawes in the press box and give Prucha his minutes.

Its one thing to not be scoring, but more often that not, Dawes is absolutely invisible out there.
The Rangers have to get production from at least one of these guys though. I agree that maybe it's time to give Prucha a long leash on a line he doesn't deserve to be on if it's in th ebest interest of the team.

In the anti-Dawes thread, there's also the suggestion that Sjostrom has earned the spot that none of these guys are able to claim. Like Voros on the 2nd line, it doesn't seem like a natural fit, but seems like it might be the next logical thing to try.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:28 AM
  #22
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
No, they dont. In fact, another center is probably the last thing this team needs. Look, Chris Drury is overpaid..we all understand that...but the fact that he is overpaid shouldnt be a crutch that justifies why he has to be forced onto the top 2 lines.

Naslund-Gomez-Dawes
Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Callahan-Drury-Prucha
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

While overpaid, Drury is versatile enough to thrive on that 3rd line, especially considering the way Renney seems hellbent on "spreading the wealth" when it comes to the offense.
Switch Dawes and Callahan and I love it.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
  #23
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Switch Dawes and Callahan and I love it.
Yea, that spot on the first line is interchangable. Hell, you can even try Prucha there if you want. I just think its necessary to keep Gomez/Naslund Dubinsky/Zherdev combinations together to maximize the offensive firepower near the top of the lineup. The other spots, including Voros', can and should be tinkered with to find the right combinations.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
  #24
Tomas Sandstrom 28
Registered User
 
Tomas Sandstrom 28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 513
vCash: 500
Dubinsky and Zherdev have been the two guys to get the rest of the forwards going. Maybe try Dawes-Dub-Zherdev for a couple games and see what happens.

Personally, at this point I'd sit Dawes for Prucha right now.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
  #25
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
No, they dont. In fact, another center is probably the last thing this team needs. Look, Chris Drury is overpaid..we all understand that...but the fact that he is overpaid shouldnt be a crutch that justifies why he has to be forced onto the top 2 lines.

Naslund-Gomez-Dawes
Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Callahan-Drury-Prucha
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

While overpaid, Drury is versatile enough to thrive on that 3rd line, especially considering the way Renney seems hellbent on "spreading the wealth" when it comes to the offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018
Switch Dawes and Callahan and I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinman
Either the coach took the advice to heart or he was thinking the same thing, because today he had Gomez skating with Ryan Callahan and Markus Naslund, while Chris Drury was between Petr Prucha and Nigel Dawes (the other two lines remained the same).
Called! Love it Renney

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.