HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Now I'm upset at Brooks

Old
11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I'm not pro-Brooks but he is right here. Gomez needs to be playing with talent.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
I'm not pro-Brooks but he is right here. Gomez needs to be playing with talent.
Agreed. And he also needs to be getting 1st line center minutes!

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:14 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm still not seeing the supposed chemistry between Dawes and Gomez. Prucha had more chemistry with Gomez as far as I'm concerned.

I say scratch Dawes for a few games and stick Prucha in his place. We're getting very little production out of that line as is, so I don't think it could hurt.
I completely agree. This season so far, it seems that Gomez and Dawes have zero chemistry together. When Gomez makes a really nice pass to Dawes, he doesn't even see it coming half the time. They don't look like they are skating well together so far. Cally looks like he belongs there much more than Dawes. He does much more as well. (I am not a Dawes hater, don't want to trade him, send him down... I just think something needs to get him going. He shouldn't get a free pass).

As I keep saying. What are we going to lose by sitting Dawes or moving him down to Drury's line, sitting Fritsche and playing Prucha with Gomez? Dawes and Fritsche combine for a whopping 1 goal, but Prucha did much more then both of them combined when he was on the ice.

Then again, I forgot Dawes scored 14goals last season with a real playmaker, so that gives him a pass to suck it up so far

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Let's see.

Gomez didn't gel with Jagr, and thus far he hasn't gelled with either Naslund or Drury and the early returns with Nik on his wing didn't produce results either....hmmmm

Just sayin.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Larry Melnyk

Brooks is spot on about the composition of the team and the lines, including Gomez's line...The sad thing is it won't change until we make a signing (Sundin) or a trade for a decent wing to play the top 2 lines...We have too many players playing above their station...I love Cally, but he's a 3rd liner....I have no clue what Dawes is..basically a 2nd liner or bust..and everything is pointing to bust---he has been contributing nothing at that level and their are too many other players that can do the job as 3rd or 4th liners...And then there Fritsche and Prucha...4th liners at best and we try to squeeze them into top lines....Thank god, Renney has done a good job so far in getting everybody to buy into the team concept and playing good team hockey (for the most part)....

But, if this team has any designs on making an eventual PO run, Sather needs to be out looking in the not too distant future...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
frozenH20

Dawes and Gomez had one or two nice games, but the honeymoon is over. Gomez is doing what he does best and Dawes has been wasting those picture perfect set-ups for some time now. Assuming Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev and Sjostrom-Betts-Orr are set. I think there are several line options worth trying.

Option 1:
Naslund-Gomez- Drury……………..may work, now that Naslund and Drury are scoring
Prucha-Korps-Callahan…………….looked really good in Prague, I thought they were on to something special

Option 2:
Naslund & Drury look better individually than together, so breaking them should be ok. I always thought Prucha could flourish with Gomez, while Dawes’ playmaking and puck handling skills would give Drury enough time to set up around the net.

Naslund-Gomez-Prucha…………..Gomez gets two speedy wings; Naslund can still shoot and Prucha gets a chance to prove he still can finish
Dawes-Drury-Callahan……………looked great last season

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
NYR Viper

yea, gomez needs a winger....i mean the rangers invested over 7 million a season for 7 years and they cant find a winger who compliments him?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Fletch

Drury between Dawes and Prucha? Wasn't that a disaster last season?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
No, they dont. In fact, another center is probably the last thing this team needs. Look, Chris Drury is overpaid..we all understand that...but the fact that he is overpaid shouldnt be a crutch that justifies why he has to be forced onto the top 2 lines.

Naslund-Gomez-Dawes
Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Callahan-Drury-Prucha
Sjostrom-Betts-Orr

While overpaid, Drury is versatile enough to thrive on that 3rd line, especially considering the way Renney seems hellbent on "spreading the wealth" when it comes to the offense.
Intresting. I think I like the Line-up.

I was thinking and this is semi-OT. Would Jagr be Naslund's perfect line-mate. Naslund likes to play the high slot and cut in from time to time and Jagr likes to weild it around the right boards and look for that pass. Just my thoughts. Probally a bad one.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
sorry I disagree with Melrose Jr.
shanny situation is totally relevant.

We dished out mega bucks on Naslund who is no spring chicken and not necessarily the right fit for Gomez. we could have had Shanny at a fraction of the Naslund's cost to the same effect. 20-30 goals playing wing with Gomez. On top of Shanny - gives you leadership and bit of toughness. Naslund will give you speed. But it seems we have enough speed as it is.

Gomez is too valuable a player to be playing with Dawes and Cally. By the same token I am not sure he is a bona fide 1st line Center of the franchise.

I think Brooks hits the nail on the head. The issue for the Rangers is Gomez!!!!
How do you figure we would get Shanny at a fraction? He wanted a raise for his second season and he doesn't really believe his role should be diminshed... he'd probably want at the very least Naslund money.

I'd like to see Callahan with Dubinsky/Voros and Naslund with Gomez and Zherdev. I know that Zherdev has success with Dubinksy but lately it seems like that line scores on individual efforts rather than line chemistry or team play.

then Dawes-Drury-Prucha or Drury-Korp-Fritsche/Prucha

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2k99 View Post
I know he gets flamed on here, and I never join in. Now I'm aggravated. I understand his point that Dawes and Callahan may not be the ideal wingers for Gomez, especially with Dawes struggling. But is he actually comparing Callahan to Mike Hudson, a fourth line center who only played half a season? Way way way over the top.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11032008...mez_136540.htm
I hope this is meant to be as sarcastic as Brooks is.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Drury between Dawes and Prucha? Wasn't that a disaster last season?
I thought it was. That was called that the 6ft under line last year.

Larry Brooks, WTG. Damn good article puts the nail in the coffin.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Let's see.

Gomez didn't gel with Jagr, and thus far he hasn't gelled with either Naslund or Drury and the early returns with Nik on his wing didn't produce results either....hmmmm

Just sayin.
He only played a few games with Naslund and Drury...too small of a sample size. Plus, hasn't he only played with Zherdev in the preseason? Let's see what they can do in the regular season, when the games actually count. I agree with Brooks...Gomer should be playing with more talent... whether it be Naslund or Zherdev, or both....

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

I have never liked Brooks and my opinion has not changed but I can support his belief that Scott Gomez could be an elite center in this league if he was given linemates capable of scoring 30-40 goals a season. I think it makes sense to play him with Naslund and Zherdev but right now he seems to be clicking with Callahan a bit. Dawes looks lost and could be headed for the press box very soon because he's been no better than Prucha for awhile now.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMMV View Post
I thought it was. That was called that the 6ft under line last year.

Larry Brooks, WTG. Damn good article puts the nail in the coffin.
Yeah i am not a fan of this line and it is a waste of drury, playing someone who just started to come out of a slump with two players who are slumping themsleves

i would do this
naslund-gomez-dawes
voros-dubinsky-zherdev
fristche-drury-callahan
sjostrom-betts-orr

dawes needs to play with talented players if we expect him to score goals, fritsche drury and callahan is a good defensive line that can score some goals and go against teams top lines
i dont want to break up the playstation line
just my opinion

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 04:56 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
How do you figure we would get Shanny at a fraction? He wanted a raise for his second season and he doesn't really believe his role should be diminshed... he'd probably want at the very least Naslund money.

I'd like to see Callahan with Dubinsky/Voros and Naslund with Gomez and Zherdev. I know that Zherdev has success with Dubinksy but lately it seems like that line scores on individual efforts rather than line chemistry or team play.

then Dawes-Drury-Prucha or Drury-Korp-Fritsche/Prucha
Do you think that anyone in the NHL will pay 2 mn for Shannahan. If he wants to play, and until last week this was the case, for the Rangers, he would have been happy with much less. Slats decided that Shanny is too old and too slow. Ok! that's a call.

Shanny scored 25 goals last year being slow, and he will score them again, even being too slow. so IMO that was the better deal. Shanny can/will play well next to Gomez. His game is much better suited for Gomez because he doesn't want to carry the puck through the middle.

Shanny's game is simple, trail the puck carrier, and snap/slap the puck on the trailer pass that Gomez will inevitable create. there aren't many better shooters of the puck than him. That's what this team is painfully
missing.

And frankly Shanny with 25 goals would belong on our 2nd line because we are not 6 forwards with 25 goals - deep. We will be struggling to put together 3 forwards with 25 goals!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Come on now. Naslund is quicker than Shanahan, younger than Shanahan, and makes less ($4 million) than Shanahan did last year ($5.3 million). Also Naslund is tied for second most points on the team with 11. What more do you want out of him?
IMO hockey is measured in goals not in seconds!
Shanny will not get anywhere near 2 million bucks if he wants to play.

What I want from Naslund ?- to play well with Gomez.
gomez was on the squad before Nas and is our most creative player. A huge investment made. So I would like to have a player on his wing who can most benefit from that asset....and that's a shooter and not a skater!

Gomez is the best skater on the Ranger squad. He doesn't need another one with him.

Old
11-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

from qwertyaas in the Shanny link!

Quote:
“Brendan wants to play, so we sat down and chatted about the possibilities,” Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com. “We would have to jump through some hoops to get a deal done because of the cap, but we could do something.”

The Flyers are top-heavy with forwards, and they are about $700,000 under the NHL’s $56.7 million salary cap. They would have to lose salary. Other sources say the 39-year-old Shanahan might be willing to play for less than $1 million given so many clubs are strapped by the salary cap right now.

The rest of the article: http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_h...104&feedID=717

so both nas and shanny will give you 20-30 goals. one for 4 million and one for under a million.
So where is the value?

Old
11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
I have to laugh when I read about Brent Sutter whining about his kid getting concussed while skating with his head down, when his kid hunted down and hammered Cherepanov with a forearm last season. Apparently, the rules as they apply are different in Brent's mind.
Good point....don't dish it if you can't take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The point of Brooks' article is spot-on. Dont let a couple of exxagerated comparisons make you lose site of that.
I agree. I think the point of the article was one that has been brought up on this board a lot already, "Renney's combinations are often like pulling players out of a hat".

What ever Renney does, it's allowed him to be successful in NY however there are some things that he does that make me question him. One of those things is his inability to have the vision of what works and to put lines together, which prevents cohesiveness and chemistry with the forward groups. This has been a recurring theme with the Rangers for the past several years.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote