HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Georges Laraque

Old
11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
Laraque doesn't have the skill, nor does he deserve, to play 82 games with any NHL team. If Carbo is wise he'll pick his spots. All other things being equal, the lines should be:

Plekanec-Kovalev-A. Kost
Koivu-Tanguay-Higgins
Lang-S. Kost-Latendresse
Lapierre-Kostopoulos-x
x should = Laraque when the Habs are playing a team like the Bruins and Flyers, it should be Begin when you need a little grit/agitation, but not a fighter per se, and it should be Dandenault when a D-man is a little sore or we need a bit more speed.

Saturday was an example of a game that was useless for Laraque to be dressed for. He could have had another week to rest his groin and the Isles probably woouldn't have dressed Fritz if Laraque wasn't dressing. Even if Fritz was dressed, if he had nobody to tangle with he would barely have played. As it was, Big George allowed Fritz to make a name for himself by fighting him. The fight was useless and there was no reason for it, just as there was no reason for BGL on Saturday.
I was a fan of Begin, and still is but he has slown down and seem to have little to give.I see some one like Steward in Hamilton getting a call soon.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Still hating violence I see Bill. Hate
Like Bob said, 'hate nothin' at all 'cept hatred', if Bill keeps up with this pacifist stuff, I say we beat the crap out of him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Habinger

Amazing how quickly people forget the physical pounding we took at the hands of Philly in the playoffs last year. If Laraque can give our forwards more confidence against the tougher teams then he's worth it.

This season is still young and the schedule has been pretty light so far. I'm sure he will prove his worth down the road, far to early to judge.

Habinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Like Bob said, 'hate nothin' at all 'cept hatred', if Bill keeps up with this pacifist stuff, I say we beat the crap out of him.
I'd watch out 'Phees, it might just be a cover. I still see him walking around his yard at night all wild eyed with a shovel over his shoulder.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Female dog, female dog, female dog.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:06 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Laraque didn't have much of a training camp, he now weighs in at 250lbs and he's definitely not in playing shape. He has to spend a lot of time with the Habs' head trainer doing push ups and working on the stationary bike in order to shed at least 20 pounds of fat. In the meantime, he's as useless as **** on a bull.
Huh?? To the best of my knowledge, Laraque has weighed approximately 250 lbs his entire career. I can't speak for others but when I use the word "shape" with reference to Laraque, I'm not talking about him shedding pounds, I'm talking about rehabbing his groin and getting his wind to the point where he is able to contribute to the 4th line on a regular basis.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:10 PM

He didn't play long enough for me to judge him. And he still didn't play with TKO, he would be at his best on a line with TKO & Lapierre IMO.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:13 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Waste of a roster spot, AFAIC. It.'s unfortunate that Gainey has to resort to this.
Even though Laraque is not in game shape he still appears to be able to keep the opposition honest, which is a dimension to the game that this club has lacked for a long time.

No question he's off to a slow start, but IMO it's injury related, we've yet to see the player who can cycle the puck down low and provide a decent fore checking presence on the 4th line (all while creating more space for this team-mates). I think we should wait a few months before throwing the guy under a bus, Laraque played 71 regular season and 15 playoff games for a team that went to the final last year.

Old
11-03-2008, 03:18 PM
furry hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I contend that BGL is either still injured or at a minimum has not gotten into game shape
From Edmonton to the Penguins, fans and coaches alike claim BGL's a great guy, but is lazy, and doesn't play with heart or grit And from what I can tell, he's living up to his reputation.

Worse, fighters like Fritz and Macyntire will have their way with BGL.

furry hats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry hats View Post
From Edmonton to the Penguins, fans and coaches alike claim BGL's a great guy, but is lazy, and doesn't play with heart or grit And from what I can tell, he's living up to his reputation.

I've read complaints that Laraque was reluctant to grab a guy like Avery or Neil or Hollweg and pound them senseless, but not that he was lazy or that he doesn't play with heart/grit.

In terms of how he'd fair with Fritz and/or MacIntyre, I'll let his record speak for itself.

Last edited by habfan4: 11-03-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typos
Old
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Female dog, female dog, female dog.
LOL.

Old
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Even though Laraque is not in game shape he still appears to be able to keep the opposition honest, which is a dimension to the game that this club has lacked for a long time.
Even if that were true, it would still be unfortunate to have to resort to it.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:36 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Even if that were true, it would still be unfortunate to have to resort to it.
That gets to be a circular arguement . I guess that if the need is there within th ecurrent framework, you may as well have a guy that's good at it. On one level I agree, but on another, the Koivu's of the world don't necessarily want their team to be the one that makes that statement.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
That gets to be a circular arguement . I guess that if the need is there within th ecurrent framework, you may as well have a guy that's good at it. On one level I agree, but on another, the Koivu's of the world don't necessarily want their team to be the one that makes that statement.
You know, having two guys drop the gloves in the heat of battle, well, I can understand. But having the kind of staged fight we got on Saturday is what makes hockey a second (third?) tier sport. Having to keep on the roster a guy whose only "skill" is fighting on skates is, like I said, unfortunate.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
furry hats

Quote:
You know, having two guys drop the gloves in the heat of battle, well, I can understand. But having the kind of staged fight we got on Saturday...
I absolutely agree with you! And the fights are often boring and rarely inspiring for the team (because they are so obviously staged).

Old
11-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

CHEZZ!!! Someone get Chezz

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:13 PM
LesCanadiens

All you whiners will eat crow the same as with Kostopoulos. I remember the same premature critiques for TK when we first got him.

Georges is a decent hockey player...especially for an "elite" brawler. He'll prove to be worthy of more icetime and has already imposed his "aura" on the team and on the opposition. His effect (positive) on the teams success will for the most part be sublime.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:18 PM
furry hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
All you whiners will eat crow...
Whiners? Next time there's a scrum with BGL on the ice, and we NEED an enforcer to flex some muscle... watch him perform his disappearance trick. Truly amazing.

Old
11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Whiners? Next time there's a scrum with BGL on the ice, and we NEED an enforcer to flex some muscle... watch him perform his disappearance trick. Truly amazing.
Do you watch the games?? Like that one against Phoenix??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Do you watch the games?? Like that one against Phoenix??
Seriously, where the hell is Chezz?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
You said the right word: "USELESS". If the Habs would have no goon, the other teams would not dress theirs. And if they would, they would find no one to fight with. And Laraque only fights other goons, for the sake of fighting.l If at least he would use his big body to deliver real good thunderous bodychecks like Phaneuf, but he is too slow to connect with opponents.

Too bad he did not sign with Edmonton as he wanted first.

All the Habs needed was a part-time YOUNG enforcer at 500-600 K to play 40 games or so , not a luxury muscleman at 1.5.
I swear to god, i've never read another poster who brought worst analysis of players , games or proposals...

Laraque has been doing just fine, Some people don't realise who important his presence is when we're in a winning situation, he won't stop hits from coming some people expected , witch is rediculous, it's not like he's waiting for them with a shotgun, but what he will do is minimise cheapshots to a low, even when Sawyer hit Kostitsyn with a clean hit, he had Laraque on his back for the hole 2nd period, and guess what, he was completely invisible in the 3rd period. BGL is the goon not only in fights but in regular game play too, he's extremely good at protectiing the puck in the offensive zone and when the puck is in our zone he switches jobs with Lappierre, he takes care of what's going on around our net while Lappy plays on the wing and covers a D, witch is excellent imo. You guys know just like i do that it takes time for any player to get in full game shape, it's not different for Laraque, especially for a player with his limited talent. But seriously, do we have to yap about evreything when we know he will get better, this discussion is completely useless. The only
reason he's not playing in all of the games is because of Gainey's stupid mentality to have atleast five 4th line players, witch is stupid because 1) There not taking any risks cause they know if they miscalculate is back upstairs eating popcorn and 2) there timing is off because they don't have that game experience the other guys have. Let's not kid oursleves, our best 4th line we can have right now is Kostopoulos-Lappierre-Laraque, and it's what we should put on the ice every single night, no matter what team we play againts, Bégin and Dandenault have no place on the team, It's 3 mil completely wasted, if one is injured well Chipchura, D'Agostini, Glumac and Stewart can all be fill-ups and do as good of a job then Bégin and Dandenault

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

Apparently, you've never watched BGL beat 6'7 Boogaard 3 times, or fight 6'9 Chara to a draw. You've also probably missed the Cote(6'1)-MacIntyre draw from the other day.

Either Fritz is an absolute monster, or that fight was an aberration for Big Georges. Either way, BGL still has the belt for beating Brashear & the Boogeyman.

Thanks for coming out!

Old
11-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Seriously, where the hell is Chezz?
I dont know but he needs to be here and now. Chezz where are thou?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
furry hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Either Fritz is an absolute monster, or that fight was an aberration for Big Georges. Either way, BGL still has the belt for beating Brashear & the Boogeyman.

Thanks for coming out!
f

Or BGL's age, laissey-faire attitude and "nice guy" persona isn't suited to do what he's required to do.

Old
11-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
f

Or BGL's age, laissey-faire attitude and "nice guy" persona isn't suited to do what he's required to do.
Give me a G...