HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sometimes I just don't understand Renney...

Old
11-03-2008, 09:23 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
The player Gomez needed is standing by. Shannahan!
too slow...

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Singn' - I don't disagree about the Mess comment. But of course Scotty Bowman doesn't win without Yzerman, or Lidstrom, etc. Every coach needs help on the ice to win.
I'm talking more about what Mess did off the ice than what he did on it.

11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
94... I think that both Nylander and Straka should be above Avery. Especially Nylander.
Yes. But Sather, to my surprise, replaced both. That continued rejuvenation going. He did not replace Avery (as a player, not as a pest). Sather will never replace Lundqvist. Same stands for Renney, although less firm. Jagr is close to being replaced by Z. Nylander and Straka should be in line with Malik who was outstanding D before getting converted into fans bag.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
gravytrain6t

hey do you guys think it would have been a better idea to bring Nylander back for a few more years for less money and have just signed one of the two (of course I mean Gomez and Drury). I was looking at some of Nylanders numbers when he was here. Not just the assists but he scored goals too.

happy london ranger - I wouldn't necessarily have a problem putting Betts on a third line but who's going to center the fourth?

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 11-03-2008 at 09:03 PM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:10 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
That would have gone against the Sather theorem which states in with new, out with the old--literally. Although Nyldaner would've been nice for one more year, more would be horrible. Think about it:

1.Dubinsky's development would come to a halt and would probably rot in HFD.

2. Jagr would have resigned for the $5MIL he wanted and we would have to clear some space

3. There would probably be no room to sign soon-to-be-stars: Staal, Dubinsky, Zherdev, and quite possibly, Girardi.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Fletch

dubitozherdev...

I don't think you can firmly say what Dubi's development would've been like had he spent last season in HFD. Everything's worked out quite well, but I don't know if he would've rotted in HFD. It wasn't like he was dominating the league or anything and wasn't like he didn't have anything to work on.

If Jagr signed for $5MM, then Naslund may not get signed and Rissmiller doesn't get signed - there's your $5MM space for Jagr. Realistically he would've cost more, and that's where there would've been a space issue.

Right now it's not definite that the Rangers will be able to afford any of the up-and-comers without clearing space. Where the Rangers may've messed up is when they didn't pick up Nylander's option. I think he would've been dirt-cheap for one year, and would've been with a very moveable contract. Perhaps Dubi playing was better, but if I'm looking back to the Summer of 2006, I believe, when they didn't pick up his option, there's where a mistake may've been made.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't think you can firmly say what Dubi's development would've been like had he spent last season in HFD. Everything's worked out quite well, but I don't know if he would've rotted in HFD. It wasn't like he was dominating the league or anything and wasn't like he didn't have anything to work on.

If Jagr signed for $5MM, then Naslund may not get signed and Rissmiller doesn't get signed - there's your $5MM space for Jagr. Realistically he would've cost more, and that's where there would've been a space issue.

Right now it's not definite that the Rangers will be able to afford any of the up-and-comers without clearing space. Where the Rangers may've messed up is when they didn't pick up Nylander's option. I think he would've been dirt-cheap for one year, and would've been with a very moveable contract. Perhaps Dubi playing was better, but if I'm looking back to the Summer of 2006, I believe, when they didn't pick up his option, there's where a mistake may've been made.
Well like I was saying also Fletch. What if the Rangers were to only sign Gomez and not Drury and signed Nylander for less money. It wouldn't necessarily effect Dubinsky coming up last season. As a matter of fact, he still could have been our first line center followed by Gomez, Nylander and Betts. At the very least, he could've been a lw on one of the lines or a third line center. Now, the Rangers wouldn't have that big contract with Drury and much more cap space would have been freed up as well because I think Jagr had his mind set on Omsk and that was it (A lot had to do with his father). Of course now with Nylander, I would have only gave him a max of 3 years on his contract and then Anismimov should be more than ready to step in after the third year (which would have been next year). If not than maybe Korpokoski. This would leave us with more than enough cap space to sign our core young players (Dubinsky, Zherdev, Staal and possibly Korpokoski if he turns out to be the real deal, which I believe he will). With Lundqvuist in net, this sets up a nice core nucleus for years to come with maybe some extra cash. What do you think?

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote