HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Boynton deals with diabetes

Old
10-29-2008, 05:21 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Panthers Boynton deals with diabetes

Sentinel Story

Pretty good read, didnt know that there are only two players in the NHL that deal with this, Boynton included. It goes to show you that even though they are on a national stage and some are idolized, they are still human beings dealing with the same issues we deal with.

The best quote of the article was from DeBoer, saying, ""The nice thing with Nick is it's never for lack of effort or passion." Thats what I think we have all been waiting for here, players that play with commitment and passion, two ingredients we have been lacking by several players for some time now. Hope it rubs off on others!

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:03 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

My dad is a Type 1 that went undiagnosed until he was in his 50s! He was 6'1 and weighed 130lbs one year, and I thought he had cancer - that's how bad he looked. Anyway, in order to combat the weight loss, he started eating fast food and candy bars. Well, in one month of eating that way, he was down another 10lbs. Long story, short, he ended up with quadruple bypass heart surgery. The surgeon told us that his veins and arteries were that of an 80-year old. He gave him 10 years to live. That was 7 years ago.

What we learned from the surgeon is that diabetes is like battery acid on the arteries. It slowly eats away at them if untreated. My dad has the pump now too.

I'm even more amazed at Boyton's ability on the ice now. I can't imagine playing such an intense game - where the body requires so much energy - and having diabetes. I'm curious as to how he manages the disease during game nights. I can only assume he has protein bars and orange juice waiting for him in the locker room. It's great that he's such a role model for other kids (and adults) who live with this disease. Hopefully, medical research will wipe this disease off the books within a few decades.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:29 PM
jol

Bobby Clarke has it also.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
My dad is a Type 1 that went undiagnosed until he was in his 50s! He was 6'1 and weighed 130lbs one year, and I thought he had cancer - that's how bad he looked. Anyway, in order to combat the weight loss, he started eating fast food and candy bars. Well, in one month of eating that way, he was down another 10lbs. Long story, short, he ended up with quadruple bypass heart surgery. The surgeon told us that his veins and arteries were that of an 80-year old. He gave him 10 years to live. That was 7 years ago.

What we learned from the surgeon is that diabetes is like battery acid on the arteries. It slowly eats away at them if untreated. My dad has the pump now too.
Thanks for freaking me out. I'm 23 and 6'1'' and everyone's been telling me how skinny I look, recently. So, I wieghed myself tonight. Eight months ago I weighed 205lbs. I'm now down to 154lbs. I haven't changed my habits at all in that period. I still rarely work out, and I always just eat and drink whatever I feel like, whenever I feel like it(which is usually pretty unhealthy and pretty frequently). I tell people this and they tell me they're jealous, that I'm lucky. I don't feel that way, at all. It freaks me out. I guess I have to go out and buy health insurance so I can see a doctor. Don't quite know how I'm going to afford that, though.