HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would you guys think of Cam Barker in MTL?

Old
11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
I don't like Barker... he was kind of a floaty oaf as a junior, skilled, but still kinda outta touch with the game. Reminds me of Hainsey... the bad Hainsey that we had. I do believe he has grown his game since then, however. (As did Hainsey). But regardless, I don't think another young defenseman is going to help us. And it's certainly not what you trade a core team guy like Higgins for. I mean, assuming by "young defenseman" we're still talking about somebody down on the learning curve, as I believe Barker would be, not the young studs in the league like Phaneuf, Weber, Burns and so on.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
wedge

I like it but not this year. Barker wouldn't help us for the cup. Like other people said, I rather have an experienced d-man. Next year, with Bouillon and Brisebois gone, why not?

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
prevail

Keeping Higgins will help Komisarek sign back

I wouldn't change a thing, most of these guys have been here for years when we were borderline playoff team and are hungry to win, why mess with success

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:53 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Poor Higgins. Every time a trade rumour pops up his name is involved. Why Habs management would ever want to deal Higgins is beyond me.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Because after McDonagh the Habs have no significant LD. Valentenko is gone and there is uncertainty with Emelin's future. Weber, Subban, Fischer, Carle and O'Byrne are all RD.
Emelin? Korpikari? Besides we will have Markov, Hamrlik and Gorges there next couple years and lefties are much easier to find on free agent markets anyway. I dont see major weakness there.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:57 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Ohlund is the caliber of guy we'd be moving Higgins for, not a young guy like Barker.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Korneev was drafted, I think, as a LD.. but I'm pretty sure he plays RD.. so we are even thinner in that position.

Even our lower rated D guys seem to play mostly on the ride side.. Stejskal is a RD.
Korneev was drafted as a RD, although he did play some center at the U-18's 2 months before the draft.

The LD's are pretty, McDonagh I could see turning pro this summer. That leaves Valentenko and Emelin who we don't know if we will ever see (although Emelin had been on the right side, he can play both sides) leaving us with only Torp and Shawn Belle as our only LD prospects. Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Ohlund is the caliber of guy we'd be moving Higgins for, not a young guy like Barker.
That's the type of deal I would think Gainey would go for, a solid veteran D not a move where we trade our 3rd leading goal scorer from last year for a prospect and a pick.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You do realise that you're the only one who ever talks about korneev right? You know just like i do that he'l get a big fat contract extension after next year and he'l probably never leave the KHL
There are 1 or 2 others..

But I'm just going off what McGuire said during the Championships that Korneev wanted to come over after his contract. Hopefully it's true, because he could be a decent solution to our Top-4 problems for the short-term future.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Emelin? Korpikari? Besides we will have Markov, Hamrlik and Gorges there next couple years and lefties are much easier to find on free agent markets anyway. I dont see major weakness there.
It is unknown if either will actually come to North America. I think we can assume Korpikari won't since we haven't heard from him in a while.

Who takes over the team when Markov and Hamrlik are gone? Hamrlik will be in his late 30's, and probably retire, and Markov will start getting on in age. In the cap age it's much better to have young players who can fill major roles for cheap instead of going out and paying $7-8 million for a player. It is a major weakness right now and should be addressed.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Beakermania*

we also no longer own korpikari's rights....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
why hasn't Barker nailed down an NHL job yet ?
He has!

He played great last year for the Hawks and was going to be our #4 dman but our idiot GM signed Huet and we couldn't afford him under cap until near end of month!

Barker is a good #4 right now but the addition of Campbell in offseason sorta makes it redundant to have Barker also!

I like Barker but the Hawks need a 2nd line LW or C! Troy Brouwer is not gonna cut it!

Our #1 line is set (Versteeg-Toews-Kane)
And our #3 has played well together since last year (Ladd-Bolland-Byfuglien)
But our #2 line has been Sharp and Havlat with varying wingers since begining of year.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
He has!

He played great last year for the Hawks and was going to be our #4 dman but our idiot GM signed Huet and we couldn't afford him under cap until near end of month!

Barker is a good #4 right now but the addition of Campbell in offseason sorta makes it redundant to have Barker also!

I like Barker but the Hawks need a 2nd line LW or C! Troy Brouwer is not gonna cut it!

Our #1 line is set (Versteeg-Toews-Kane)
And our #3 has played well together since last year (Ladd-Bolland-Byfuglien)
But our #2 line has been Sharp and Havlat with varying wingers since begining of year.

Old
11-03-2008, 03:38 PM
LyleOdelein

This whole "we need a number 4 d" idea is beyond me.

The Wings won the cup with Lilja and Brad Stuart filling in as their 4th defenceman.

The Ducks won with O'Donnell as their 4th defenceman.

The Canes won with Mike Commodore or Aaron Ward as their 4th defenceman.

The Lightning won with Sarich as their 4th defenceman.

The Devils won with Colin White as their 4th defenceman.

The Habs D isn't perfect, but I don't really see how any of these guys were head and shoulders above Boullion or Gorges. All you need at this spot is a guy that can play fairly soundly defensively and make safe plays. Most good teams rely heavily on their top 3, and use the bottom 3 a lot less. The idea of giving up Higgins to get a fourth defenceman seems to be a little over the top as far as I'm concerned. You can't sacrifice a player of Higgins' quality, just in case there might be an injury down the road. If you do, you're creating huge gaps in other areas for the team.

Just because our offensive depth is a strongpoint on the team, doesn't mean that it should be sacrificed to improve in another area. Without Higgins, the Habs are one LW injury away from having Begin or Kostopolous or Pacioretty on the 2nd line.

Anybody that expects a Beuchemin or Ohlund at the trade deadline has played too much EA hockey. If Gainey does anything, it will be grabbing a veteran #6/7 guy for a pick or a lower tier prospect.

Last edited by LyleOdelein: 11-03-2008 at 03:48 PM.
LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
This whole "we need a number 4 d" idea is beyond me.

The Wings won the cup with Lilja and Brad Stuart filling in as their 4th defenceman.

The Ducks won with O'Donnell as their 4th defenceman.

The Canes won with Mike Commodore or Aaron Ward as their 4th defenceman.

The Lightning won with Sarich as their 4th defenceman.

The Devils won with Colin White as their 4th defenceman.
The Wings also had Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall

The Ducks also had Neidermayer, Pronger, beauchemin

The Canes...okay

The Lightning...Dan Boyle, I sorta forget the rest

Devils had Neidermayer, Rafalski..

I love Hammer and Komi, but they are no Lidstrom, Rafalski, Neidermayer, Pronger, Boyle...

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:07 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't think anyone thinks Bouwmeester is over paid at $1.875M. Especially since he's currently making $4.875M.

Even at his current salary, I don't think many Hab fans would consider him over paid.
Good thing you found a woman that has accepted to marry you... you're already becoming senile!

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:19 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I would keep Higgins.

That said, if Barker for Latendresse was on the table, I think that I would do it.

Project vs Project

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:58 PM
goalchenyuk

The Hawks can't keep Barker with them , because of the salary cap . Higgins makes more than Barker , so it's impossible for them to play Higgins , if they don't trow a cap eater player in the deal .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
The Hawks can't keep Barker with them , because of the salary cap . Higgins makes more than Barker , so it's impossible for them to play Higgins , if they don't trow a cap eater player in the deal .
Barker's cap hit is 2.47 while Higgins' hit is 1.7.

Old
11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
We can't really take on added salary either.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
1) Barker is up with the team now... they did some other maneuvering; waited a few days since the cap is calculated daily and are now able to have him on the team
2) Barkers cap hit > Higgins cap hit.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:33 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
The Wings also had Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall

The Ducks also had Neidermayer, Pronger, beauchemin

The Canes...okay

The Lightning...Dan Boyle, I sorta forget the rest

Devils had Neidermayer, Rafalski..

I love Hammer and Komi, but they are no Lidstrom, Rafalski, Neidermayer, Pronger, Boyle...
Fair enough, but if you throw Markov into the Habs depth chart it's not as huge a discrepancy.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't like Barker... he was kind of a floaty oaf as a junior, skilled, but still kinda outta touch with the game. Reminds me of Hainsey... the bad Hainsey that we had. I do believe he has grown his game since then, however. (As did Hainsey). But regardless, I don't think another young defenseman is going to help us. And it's certainly not what you trade a core team guy like Higgins for. I mean, assuming by "young defenseman" we're still talking about somebody down on the learning curve, as I believe Barker would be, not the young studs in the league like Phaneuf, Weber, Burns and so on.
That was always my sense of him too. I agree with the rest of the post. If Keith or Seabrook were being dangled for Higgins, then I would be interested. But not Barker.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
That was always my sense of him too. I agree with the rest of the post. If Keith or Seabrook were being dangled for Higgins, then I would be interested. But not Barker.
If you're trying to win, you don't deal a known commodity for, 'maybe this guy will be good'.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
If you're trying to win, you don't deal a known commodity for, 'maybe this guy will be good'.
Exactly. Also, assuming even that dealing Higgins is a good thing to do, I don't see why Gainey would deal a player like Higgins unless it was in return for someone equally good or superior. It's like breaking a twenty to buy some gum and a lottery ticket. It's better to spend the twenty dollars on something that's worth at least twenty dollars. Like Keith or Seabrook.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 12:19 AM
TopProspecT

Cam Barker since being called up has 3 points in 4 games, 2 G 1 A. He has being playing GOOD, especially on the powerplay. He has a cannon of a shot. I would say he is starting to realize his potential.
If any team is going to trade for him now would be the time, because im guessing by the end of the year his value will sky rocket playing for a very offensive hawk team. I doubt he is traded though, the hawks have spent a while now developing him.

TopProspecT is offline   Reply With Quote