HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free agent Shanahan meets with Holmgren

Old
11-04-2008, 05:00 AM
decadentia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
Okay, so we sign Shanahan.

We trade Lupul + 1st + Marshall for J-Bo (Steep?)

Gagne - Briere - Knuble
Hartnell - Carter - Shanahan
Upshall - Richards - Downie
Upshall-Richards-Downie?

Why don't we just stick Metropolit on the first line for crying out loud

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:22 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Shanahan is one of my favorite players and id love to have him on the team. That jersey would look great.

That being said i dont think we need him. However i would still be very happy about the signing.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:40 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
i doubt this happens... seems like homer's just kicking the tires. i'd be for it if we can somehow make it work. i think Nodl is more an AHL player at this point, though i like his potential.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
i doubt this happens... seems like homer's just kicking the tires. i'd be for it if we can somehow make it work. i think Nodl is more an AHL player at this point, though i like his potential.
If Knuble (+) landed us a decent defenseman to shore up the back end, and free some cap room...and 'if' Shanny were willing to sign for 1 million, then I'd be all over it.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayyou1000 View Post
The guys got gas left in his tank trust me. If you give him PP and 18 min a night he ll get you 70 points. He's much like a Sakic, Selanne type player. No matter how old he gets he'll still produce plenty, given a offensive role.
False. Hes not like Sakic or Selanne at all. He might still have some left in the tank but its not even close.

This year and the 3 previous seasons...
Selanne- 219 points in 201 games (1.09 ppg)
Sakic- 239 points in 220 games (1.09 ppg)
Shanahan- 189 points in 222 games... (.85 ppg)

And thats giving Shanny the benefit of the doubt of his good season 3 years ago. While Selanne and Sakic are both averaging well over a PPG average over the last 4 years Shanny hasnt scored a ppg since 1999-2000.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 08:27 AM
ChiTown Flyer

Signing Shanny and moving Knuble sound fairly lateral to me. Also, my girl used to have a crush on him, so I'd prefer not.

Also, I wanted to show off my awesome new avatar.

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Upshall-Richards-Downie?

Why don't we just stick Metropolit on the first line for crying out loud
We did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
False. Hes not like Sakic or Selanne at all. He might still have some left in the tank but its not even close.

And thats giving Shanny the benefit of the doubt of his good season 3 years ago. While Selanne and Sakic are both averaging well over a PPG average over the last 4 years Shanny hasnt scored a ppg since 1999-2000.
So .85PPG for about 700K is somehow bad?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 09:15 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
Okay, so we sign Shanahan.

We trade Lupul + 1st + Marshall for J-Bo (Steep?)

Gagne - Briere - Knuble
Hartnell - Carter - Shanahan
Upshall - Richards - Downie
Switch Harts and Upshall.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

So .85PPG for about 700K is somehow bad?
Who said he was signing for 700k? When did I said say signing him would be a bad idea, especially at 700k?

All I said was comparing him to sakic who is 1 year removed from a 100 point season and selanne who is 1 year removed from a 90+ point season is a little crazy especially since Shanny had 46 points last year and hasnt scored a ppg in a long time while those 2 not only have scored a ppg but they AVERAGE a ppg over the past 3-4 years.

Old
11-04-2008, 10:00 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
We did.

I'll have to use the sarcasm emote next time, the wink didn't seem to do the trick.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:26 AM
turkinaa

I just read that Vaananen is day-to-day with an "upper-body injury." Unless Shanahan plays D or we make a move, I don't see him playing for the Flyers right now. Just keep him off a division rival.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:41 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
I just read that Vaananen is day-to-day with an "upper-body injury." Unless Shanahan plays D or we make a move, I don't see him playing for the Flyers right now. Just keep him off a division rival.
Well since his top three choices appear to be the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins that could be difficult.

I really don't think we need him. He doesn't bring much to the table that we don't have already and we need defensive help, not another winger. Unless this is a precursor to a move that brings in a defender, I don't see the point.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 12:15 PM
ipayyou1000

Quote:

ya this guys in dream land. .85 would be the best on our team for the last three seasons and for under a mill? It's an absolute robery

ipayyou1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 12:34 PM
DUHockey9

I share the same sentiment as many others. If we can sign Shanny to something very cheap and trade some forward depth for defense depth we essentially relocate some money from forward to D and make a lateral move (more or less) offensively with Shanahan. We would clearly need to trade some forwards for the cap space and to shed some contracts. Next year, Shanny leaves and is replaced by JVR or Giroux.

It's hard to not like this IMO. The only possible negative is the value of intangibles. How would he fit in? How would the people getting shipped out affect the locker room?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayyou1000 View Post
ya this guys in dream land. .85 would be the best on our team for the last three seasons and for under a mill? It's an absolute robery
just because the Flyers have 700k available doesnt mean thats what he wants to get paid first of all. Second, I never said he wasnt a good player but to put him in a class with other aging players like sakic and Selanne is ridiculous. Those two are still first line players while Shanny would be a 3rd liner here. He put up 46 points last year. Hes nowhere near as good as sakic or selanne.

Old
11-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
If Knuble (+) landed us a decent defenseman to shore up the back end, and free some cap room...and 'if' Shanny were willing to sign for 1 million, then I'd be all over it.
I wouldn't even trade Knuble if you can make the salary work within our existing structure, at least until we see how the defense looks with Jones/Parent. Going into the playoffs with a healthy top 9 of the following looks pretty tempting:

Gagne Briere Knuble
Hartnell Richards Lupul
Shanahan Carter Upshall

There's no real weakness there. You can play with it as you like, but that makes my mouth water, even if Shanny is washed up a bit. He's still going to score some goals and brings a lot of intangibles that we need that Nodl or Downie don't have at this point in their careers.

But, if the salary doesn't work, then obviously you have to do something.

I think I'm starting to feel that Knuble is still a valuable member of this team. We've already lost a lot of veteran leadership, he's a great guy in the room/with the media, and he's scoring like he usually does. He had a slow start and at times looks awful at even strength, but he still has a place on special teams and always works well with Gagne.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Miss Mess

Yeah I highly doubt that Knuble is going anywhere.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 01:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
According to Glen Macnow, Shanahan is signing either here or with Pittsburgh, and needs a week to 10 days to decide.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:00 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
According to Glen Macnow, Shanahan is signing either here or with Pittsburgh, and needs a week to 10 days to decide.
Wow. If that's true, I wonder how much the Flyers offered him. Even if it's under $2 Million, someone's got to go.

11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

according to nhlnumbers.com Pittsburgh is sitting at approx 56.1 in team salary. so Philly and Pitt are both in the same boat. Both will have to be creative to fit him in.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
according to nhlnumbers.com Pittsburgh is sitting at approx 56.1 in team salary. so Philly and Pitt are both in the same boat. Both will have to be creative to fit him in.
Given the options, I would rather him here than there.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Wow. If that's true, I wonder how much the Flyers offered him. Even if it's under $2 Million, someone's got to go.
Yea, a top 9 winger (with salary) would need to go. It won't be Gagne, so that leaves:

Hartnell: he makes big money but he brings things to to the table that no one else does and he is signed for several more years. I wouldn't object to moving him but he isn't the best choice.

Upshall: he probably has pretty good value, due to being young, cheap, and playing very very well. He is also very valuable to us for those same reasons. I think he has played too well (and like Hartnell brings something not many others do) to move him.

Knuble: makes solid money, so it would clear some room; but he again seems to be proving doubters wrong by putting up good numbers. I think he might be fairly easy to replace in terms of play but I do worry that he has intangibles that would be missed.

Lupul: also makes solid money and an even bigger contract kicks in next year. He's a bit streaky; but I think he does have value around the league. With the re-emergence of Gagne he may not be necessary.

That said I think it needs to be Knuble or Lupul.

It's a tough call.

Old
11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Yea, a top 9 winger (with salary) would need to go. It won't be Gagne, so that leaves:

Hartnell: he makes big money but he brings things to to the table that no one else does and he is signed for several more years. I wouldn't object to moving him but he isn't the best choice.

Upshall: he probably has pretty good value, due to being young, cheap, and playing very very well. He is also very valuable to us for those same reasons. I think he has played too well (and like Hartnell brings something not many others do) to move him.

Knuble: makes solid money, so it would clear some room; but he again seems to be proving doubters wrong by putting up good numbers. I think he might be fairly easy to replace in terms of play but I do worry that he has intangibles that would be missed.

Lupul: also makes solid money and an even bigger contract kicks in next year. He's a bit streaky; but I think he does have value around the league. With the re-emergence of Gagne he may not be necessary.

That said I think it needs to be Knuble or Lupul.

It's a tough call.
Hartnell. Just because he brings somethign to the table that nobody else does doesnt mean he is earning his paycheck. If we could move him Id ship him out in a second. Not that I dont like him but shanahan plays somewhat of a similar game but doesnt take retarded penalties and will score more. After this year if shanny is gone we could find someone that is a hartnell type but for much less money.

Old
11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Hartnell. Just because he brings somethign to the table that nobody else does doesnt mean he is earning his paycheck. If we could move him Id ship him out in a second. Not that I dont like him but shanahan plays somewhat of a similar game but doesnt take retarded penalties and will score more. After this year if shanny is gone we could find someone that is a hartnell type but for much less money.
Yeah, like who?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
I think Hartnell is earning his paycheck. Maybe he is slightly overpaid but that's what happens when you get a FA usually. I have no problem with his salary.