HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Idea Regarding Anaheim

Old
11-04-2008, 06:16 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Idea Regarding Anaheim

So I was surfing through ESPN looking at stats, studs and duds etc... And Something I realized, Anaheim's Bobby Ryan is rotting in the AHL. I thought he was in the NHL for some odd reason. Now we've all heard Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Ovechkin, Sundin rumours, which are all fun to beat around the bush with, but I read a little note on Bobby Ryan's Profile on ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=3264

"News: Ryan has been tearing it up in the AHL with six goals and 11 points in nine games, according to the Orange County Register.
Spin: Ducks GM Brian Burke admits that Ryan should be playing with the Ducks, but the cap issues prevent that at this time. Burke also admits that he has no idea when Ryan will be able to be brought up and there is always a chance that he will have to consider trading him at some point. The Ducks are currently about $900,000 below the cap."

The Ducks already have their team pretty much mapped out, and I doubt Ryan wants to spend time in the AHL when he could be a solid top line roster player somewhere else.

My question is, within the realm of reason, would you go after Ryan? I don't think he would be cheap, but under Anaheim's circumstances they sort of have their hands tied behind their back with salary cap issues.

No need to bash this thread if you don't like it, just thought I'd voice an idea that I came across.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Not for what Burke will ask in return. We've got plenty of good young scorers in the pipeline.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Judge Sauer*

They'd sooner get rid of a roster player than trade Ryan. If it weren't for the cap issue, he'd have a roster spot right now.
The asking price will be higher than what the team woudl want to give up for him.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 06:42 AM
redmachine54

According to a few Ducks fans here, Burke won't part with Ryan unless a young guy with similar upside goes the other way; in essence, he's not going to trade Ryan just because he can't fit him on the roster. If anything, it'd be a lateral move on Montreal's part to trade for him.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Depends who would be going the other way I suppose, but he seems to be doing very well so it's an interesting idea. Thing is, Matt D'Agostini has 6 goals, 13 points in 11 games and we don't have room for him, Chipchura, Stewart, etc. If management feels his upside is sufficient then it could happen, but with Gui and MaxPac in the 'big winger/power forward' role now and in the near future, would we want another player with a similar skill set over some of the guys we have playing now (and in the near future)? Unless management gets rid of key guys to aquire him (Higgins, either of the Bros, Lats) or thinks highly enough of him to make sure he gets a great chance with us, he may not get as big a chance with the Habs as he would get elsewhere in the short term. We likely have have some assets the Ducks would like, but I don't know if we'd be able to get the most out of him with the log-jam on wings.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
So I was surfing through ESPN looking at stats, studs and duds etc... And Something I realized, Anaheim's Bobby Ryan is rotting in the AHL. I thought he was in the NHL for some odd reason. Now we've all heard Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, Ovechkin, Sundin rumours, which are all fun to beat around the bush with, but I read a little note on Bobby Ryan's Profile on ESPN. http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=3264

"News: Ryan has been tearing it up in the AHL with six goals and 11 points in nine games, according to the Orange County Register.
Spin: Ducks GM Brian Burke admits that Ryan should be playing with the Ducks, but the cap issues prevent that at this time. Burke also admits that he has no idea when Ryan will be able to be brought up and there is always a chance that he will have to consider trading him at some point. The Ducks are currently about $900,000 below the cap."

The Ducks already have their team pretty much mapped out, and I doubt Ryan wants to spend time in the AHL when he could be a solid top line roster player somewhere else.

My question is, within the realm of reason, would you go after Ryan? I don't think he would be cheap, but under Anaheim's circumstances they sort of have their hands tied behind their back with salary cap issues.

No need to bash this thread if you don't like it, just thought I'd voice an idea that I came across.

Forget it. With a huge contract on the table being rejected by Burke, with MLSE patiently waiting for him to sign with them, I doubt whether Burke has the authority to trade the likes of Bobby Ryan.

Everyone, including Ryan is putting in time until Burke leaves.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Marksman

If Ducks need to trade, the do it to clear some room under salary cap. Trading Ryan does not accomplish that - and Habs dont have that much room on theirs to take garbage contracts like Morrison or Marchant.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Lone Rogue

Basically, the NHL does not like to "help out" Burke's cap problems, so Bobby Ryan is going to be left to dry in the AHL. Not only that, but Burke has a huge mancrush on Bobby Ryan, being his big 2nd Overall pick in the Crosby Sweepstakes, so he ain't letting him go unless he gets away with shipping him to Toronto.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
JrHockeyFan

Bobby Ryan is one of those iffy kind of guys to me. Not a particularly good skater. Also, playing in Owen Sound the coaching really did not do much with the kid that I could see. Regardless of who he played with there never seemed to be much of a system in place.

He may well be a scorer in the NHL some day, but there is something fundamentally wrong that I can't put my finger on with Ryan. He just doesn't seem to be a very savvy player. Big strong kid though.

He had one good plus minus year at plus 30 his second year in the OHL. His next two years were minus despite scoring 95 and 102 points

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Habs

Bobby Ryan reminds me of Mark Parrish

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Russeltown

Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf to Toronto for Jeff Finger and Jiri Tlusty

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 05:57 PM

I'd trade our first or any forward prospect we have for Bobby Ryan, except Max Pac.

Maxwell? Yes. Kristo? Let's go. 1st round pick? Will be a later one anyway.

Then, package him to get Bouwmeester.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 06:10 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Bruke will want a big return. no thanks

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
What will Burke do to get Sundin?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think we have any single prospect as good as Ryan. (Yes, I just said I think Ryan is better than Pacioretty, for example). So what do we trade for him? Anaheim's whole problem is that they can't take on salary. So they don't need any of our regular players for him.

If Burke said he's considering trading Ryan, well, he's just trying to play cool, pretend like he didn't screw up his cap situation, nothing wrong with the team he has, etc. But he wouldn't _really_ trade Ryan.

Unless maybe for Georges Laraque?

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Next Best Thing*

Something I'd like to know is why aren't they dressing him? I always thought BR was an equivalent to Latendresse, and he's in our top9 while we are a deeper team than the Ducks....

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Something I'd like to know is why aren't they dressing him? I always thought BR was an equivalent to Latendresse, and he's in our top9 while we are a deeper team than the Ducks....
he's in the AHL...they have no cap space.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
CPrice

I can't remember but I read on these boards somewhere that he was almost traded to Toronto for Kaberle or something? Anyone remember this?

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
I can't remember but I read on these boards somewhere that he was almost traded to Toronto for Kaberle or something? Anyone remember this?
I think that was from Bleacherreport or something, nothing credible. It's a free blog site. Just some fan saying it and others took it as a possibility. Burke even ended up having to say that he wouldn't be talking any trade possibilities with TO and that the assistant GM would be the one if there were any talks to happen.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote