HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Flex Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2008, 01:35 AM
  #26
BLEHockey
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
im 5'6 and I use 120 flex wood sticks.. my shots are pretty hard... I guess its a preferance?

BLEHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:14 PM
  #27
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEHockey View Post
im 5'6 and I use 120 flex wood sticks.. my shots are pretty hard... I guess its a preferance?
A lot of it is preference. On the other hand, a 120 wood stick isn't the same as a 120 composite. A 120 composite would feel like an steel I-beam. Wood has a natural flex and will soften over time. They are also less consistent.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 03:38 AM
  #28
TheUndertow40Six2
Registered User
 
TheUndertow40Six2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Jose
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
A good rule to follow is to stay at about half your body weight with the flex number (ie: 200lbs, 100flex... 170lbs, 85flex). If you're strong for your size/weight, get a stiffer stick. Cutting a composite stick will change the flex as well, so if you know you're going to need a few inches taken off, get a lighter flex to start with.

TheUndertow40Six2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM
  #29
iceman_88888888
Registered User
 
iceman_88888888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
A lot of it is preference. On the other hand, a 120 wood stick isn't the same as a 120 composite. A 120 composite would feel like an steel I-beam. Wood has a natural flex and will soften over time. They are also less consistent.
the natural flex is usually right in the middle of the stick but the manufacturers are doing better by adding some materials (fiberglass, carbon fibers, etc) to certain areas of the stick to lower the flex point and make a more consistent wood stick. and yeah, the wood shaft softens up quite a bit after a few solid games/practices but nothing compares to the feel of a wood stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndertow40Six2 View Post
A good rule to follow is to stay at about half your body weight with the flex number (ie: 200lbs, 100flex... 170lbs, 85flex). If you're strong for your size/weight, get a stiffer stick. Cutting a composite stick will change the flex as well, so if you know you're going to need a few inches taken off, get a lighter flex to start with.
a good rule of thumb here is that you add 5 to the flex of a composite stick for every inch you cut off.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:03 PM
  #30
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
the natural flex is usually right in the middle of the stick but the manufacturers are doing better by adding some materials (fiberglass, carbon fibers, etc) to certain areas of the stick to lower the flex point and make a more consistent wood stick. and yeah, the wood shaft softens up quite a bit after a few solid games/practices but nothing compares to the feel of a wood stick.


a good rule of thumb here is that you add 5 to the flex of a composite stick for every inch you cut off.
I don't know if I completely agree with that. Yes, an excellent wood stick will offer better feel than a composite. However, with the variations from stick to stick it's hard to find an excellent wood stick. I remember when I used Sher-Wood PMP 5030's I'd go through about 10 or 12 before I found two that felt good. With composite, I can walk up to the stick rack find my curve and flex and head to the register.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 04:07 PM
  #31
HerrAlex
 
HerrAlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: greater Anaheim area
Country: United States
Posts: 1,394
vCash: 500
idk im 5'8 170 and i love intermediate

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 01:24 PM
  #32
iceman_88888888
Registered User
 
iceman_88888888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I don't know if I completely agree with that. Yes, an excellent wood stick will offer better feel than a composite. However, with the variations from stick to stick it's hard to find an excellent wood stick. I remember when I used Sher-Wood PMP 5030's I'd go through about 10 or 12 before I found two that felt good. With composite, I can walk up to the stick rack find my curve and flex and head to the register.
i used the titan tpm2020's and the titan asd's in my youth and i loved those sticks. i just don't think the composites and ops' match the feel of them. but they are getting better and better ever since easton came out with their si-cores.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2008, 02:45 PM
  #33
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
i used the titan tpm2020's and the titan asd's in my youth and i loved those sticks. i just don't think the composites and ops' match the feel of them. but they are getting better and better ever since easton came out with their si-cores.
I loved the Titan TPM99. /sigh.....that was a long time ago.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 02:11 PM
  #34
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,154
vCash: 500
RBK 4K one piece flex question

I'm making the switch to a one-piece, thanks to Hockey Giant's ridiculous sale on the 4K, but I have a question about the flex. It's described as a "regular flex" stick on the site. What does that mean? 75? 80?

I was going to wait until I could afford something a little better, but it has a right handed Crosby curve, and I really miss my old Sherwood 5030 Crosby curve.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 05:32 AM
  #35
iceman_88888888
Registered User
 
iceman_88888888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm making the switch to a one-piece, thanks to Hockey Giant's ridiculous sale on the 4K, but I have a question about the flex. It's described as a "regular flex" stick on the site. What does that mean? 75? 80?

I was going to wait until I could afford something a little better, but it has a right handed Crosby curve, and I really miss my old Sherwood 5030 Crosby curve.
reebok's "regular" flex is about a 90 on the easton scale... as long as it's uncut and an extension isn't put in.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
  #36
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Has anyone else noticed really whippy sticks on wrist shots may result in the puck going who knows where?? Or maybe it's the lifting paying off

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 01:55 AM
  #37
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Has anyone else noticed really whippy sticks on wrist shots may result in the puck going who knows where?? Or maybe it's the lifting paying off
Probably the lifting. But flex, like curve, is personal preference, so what's true for you isn't always true for everyone.

Oh, as for all these flex scales? It's best to use Easton's, which most companies seem to use. That scale has logic behind it- it's the amount of force it takes to bend the stick one inch at the kickpoint.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2008, 02:46 PM
  #38
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Has anyone else noticed really whippy sticks on wrist shots may result in the puck going who knows where?? Or maybe it's the lifting paying off
As always, try placing emphasis on rolling your wrists over when you take a shot. You'll find your accuracy will return.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
  #39
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
*bump*

No need to open a new topic for this....

...so I just bought my very first one-piece hockey stick yesterday, after breaking my old Koho on Saturday night. Price was a factor, so I ended up with a stick that has a 100 flex rating (Easton Stealth Reflex). I'm 6'2, 190lb.

Was this a good choice? When fooling around w/ the stick in-store, I found it to be pretty good. The stick was pretty light at 520g, and I didn't feel a noticeable difference in stickhandling. If it's too stiff for my size.... how much bulk should I add to flex that stick?

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
  #40
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
I've been running around London stick handling with a Bauer 1000 Super Pro Lite wood stick with a Modin Curve, mid flex. Not bad at all. But I just bought a One70 that I'll be able to use when I get home. I was going to cut the wood one down, but it's heavy and I want my wrists stronger, the composites are going to feel like nothing when I use them.

Also, anyone else know what's comparable to the Modin Curve? I kind of like it. I can post a pic (Down the shaft) if necessary.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
  #41
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
*bump*

No need to open a new topic for this....

...so I just bought my very first one-piece hockey stick yesterday, after breaking my old Koho on Saturday night. Price was a factor, so I ended up with a stick that has a 100 flex rating (Easton Stealth Reflex). I'm 6'2, 190lb.

Was this a good choice? When fooling around w/ the stick in-store, I found it to be pretty good. The stick was pretty light at 520g, and I didn't feel a noticeable difference in stickhandling. If it's too stiff for my size.... how much bulk should I add to flex that stick?
The general rule is about half your weight, so you're pretty good on flex.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:51 PM
  #42
PIMking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Country: Germany
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
I tend to use sher wood wood sticks with a coffey blade. I do belive that its a 85 flex. I have harder and better shots with the 85 flex compared to a 100 flex im 5'10 210.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
  #43
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
The general rule is about half your weight, so you're pretty good on flex.
Thanks!

For a second I was tempted to pick up a 65 flex (yes, sixty five... it was a senior stick) but I was really skeptical about its integrity, seeing as how I've never seen a senior stick with a flex rating lower than 85.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
  #44
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Thanks!

For a second I was tempted to pick up a 65 flex (yes, sixty five... it was a senior stick) but I was really skeptical about its integrity, seeing as how I've never seen a senior stick with a flex rating lower than 85.
It can be done. Brett Hull was very picky and insisted his sticks be at 65 - 70 flex. But it's not too common.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 04:13 AM
  #45
iceman_88888888
Registered User
 
iceman_88888888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Thanks!

For a second I was tempted to pick up a 65 flex (yes, sixty five... it was a senior stick) but I was really skeptical about its integrity, seeing as how I've never seen a senior stick with a flex rating lower than 85.
65 flex?!?!? i thought 65 was the intermediate flex and the senior flex went no lower than 70. but anyways, composite sticks are built and designed well enough that a 65 flex can be used by the biggest and heaviest person without snapping it unless they bow it out completely.

either way, i still wonder how guys can use such a whippy stick. i'm 5'10 and only 155lbs and use a 110-115 flex after i cut down my sticks. i've tried to switch and use a 85-90 flex so i could let the flex and whip of the shaft do the work and not kill my shoulders but i couldn't control any of my shots. but everybody has their own preference.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 04:16 AM
  #46
iceman_88888888
Registered User
 
iceman_88888888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
The stick was pretty light at 520g, and I didn't feel a noticeable difference in stickhandling.
i hate to tell ya but 520g is heavy for a one-piece composite stick. that's only a few grams off of the weight of a wood stick. most of the higher-top end sticks are no heavier than 450g... not much of a difference in the grand scheme of things but when you play with a stick that's 100g less than the one you have, it's a big and noticeable difference.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
  #47
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
i hate to tell ya but 520g is heavy for a one-piece composite stick. that's only a few grams off of the weight of a wood stick. most of the higher-top end sticks are no heavier than 450g... not much of a difference in the grand scheme of things but when you play with a stick that's 100g less than the one you have, it's a big and noticeable difference.
Perhaps, but it was farrrr lighter than any stick I've ever used

I got a chance to try it out last night, and it was amazing. I was doing one-handed dekes all over the place with relative ease, and stickhandling better than ever. I didn't get an opportunity for a slapshot, but my wrist shots, passes, and even my backhands were quick and crisp. I didn't really notice a "lack of feel" for the puck... but maybe it's because I used a thinner layer of stick tape.

Long story short... I was never really convinced that composites were better, but after using even a low-end one I'm sold. Also, 100 flex isn't nearly as stiff as I would have guessed.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:39 PM
  #48
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Long story short... I was never really convinced that composites were better, but after using even a low-end one I'm sold. Also, 100 flex isn't nearly as stiff as I would have guessed.
No, you're right about this. Balance is often ignored but is really more important than weight when it comes to finding a stick that works for you.

I'd rather have a stick that's 100g heavier and is balanced correctly, than a really unbalanced stick. (i.e. the 9KO)

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:22 PM
  #49
iceman_88888888
Registered User
 
iceman_88888888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
No, you're right about this. Balance is often ignored but is really more important than weight when it comes to finding a stick that works for you.

I'd rather have a stick that's 100g heavier and is balanced correctly, than a really unbalanced stick. (i.e. the 9KO)
good point. a well balanced stick has a much better value than the weight of a stick. i think the analogy i was given was that between a 550gm stick and a 420gm stick, the difference is about 8-10 pennies.

but what i noticed when i played around with the easton stick in question is that it is very blade heavy which is why i thought the stick was so heavy.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:04 AM
  #50
StrykerB
 
StrykerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Hey all,
I am about 5' 7", 190 pounds (not making the nhl obviously ), and have been using a bauer supreme One50 stick with a Lindros curve. It is the 87 Flex, but because of my height I ended up cutting the stick, so the flex read around 105. I notice my wrist shots and snap shots feel a little weak. Could this be because of the flex of the stick? I'm also noticing that the flex point seems to be in the middle of the stick.
You can try these guys Oggie. They have flex built into the grips to help your shot. I use them and I definitely feel like my shot is better. The straight ones are kind of ridiculous though, because if you don't like a bigger knob then you can't use it.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.