HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Georges Laraque

Old
11-03-2008, 04:59 PM
LilWinger11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Give me a G...
G!

Gimme a T...

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Still hating violence I see Bill. Hate
Violence against violence

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
G!

Gimme a T...
T

Gimme a F...

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Seriously, where the hell is Chezz?
Having the ultimate Halloween party hangover?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
T

Gimme a F...
F!

Gimme anO

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habinger View Post
Ah, nothing quite like n00b love!

Oh, wait a second....
Gimme a G...

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
HabsDood

Quote:
Gimme a G...
G

Gimme a S

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Titan124

Quote:
Apparently, you've never watched BGL beat 6'7 Boogaard 3 times, or fight 6'9 Chara to a draw. You've also probably missed the Cote(6'1)-MacIntyre draw from the other day.

Either Fritz is an absolute monster, or that fight was an aberration for Big Georges. Either way, BGL still has the belt for beating Brashear & the Boogeyman.

Thanks for coming out!
But Fritz beat Laraque, so doesn't he have the belt now?

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Georges Laraque did a awesome job for a guy who he's not at 100%! I'm not worried about him!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:11 PM
lou4gehrig

A fourth liner and/or bottom pairing defenseman being bashed by the fans on this board. I'm shocked....

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
habsfan56

laraque feels like he beat fritz and makes aa good point about it to
«Je n’ai pas été coupé alors qu’il a dû passer des radiographies au visage… Tu n’analyses pas un combat avec le nombre de coups qui se donnent», prévient Laraque. «Étant donné qu’il a une grande portée, je devais me protéger. Mais mon visage ne montre aucune marque.»

another reason to like laraque --> he detests avery

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/262890.html

habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
First I would like to begin by saying that I was very happy when Gainey signed Laraque. I also acknowledge that the season is still young, and his contract even younger.

But I cannot help but to think that Gainey will regret this signing next year, or the year after, if not already. Carbo is having a hard time using him (he has only played 4 games so far, and only once took more than 9 shifts). He is also -2 and pointless (though I know he wasn't signed for his production).

My worry is that he is rather expensive ($1.5 million for 5 minutes every 2 games?), and, as he is getting older, I take it we should expect this to be his best year as a Hab. I think that we are going to desperately want that $1.5 million spent elsewhere many times throughout the next 3 years.

That said, I love the Habs this year: 8-1-1, awesome.
funny...i told people back when he was signed 1.5 million was too much for a 4th line player...i was hoping I was wrong since it would mean he is doing well...so far he's actually worst than i expected

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
habdynasty

I guess george is off to slow start, he is 1 point behind Lapierre, Begin and Dandanault

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:37 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Georges Laraque did a awesome job for a guy who he's not at 100%! I'm not worried about him!
Laraque won that fight. U tube it and look at it again. Fritz got punches in at first because Laraque missed his grab at Fritz's jersey. All Fritz did was swing widely but it only took one Laraque punch to mess up Fritz's face. When they both get up off the ice after the take down you can see the big welt by Fritz's right eye, that one hurt the next morning

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:

Either Fritz is an absolute monster
Well, he certainly looks the part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
I guess george is off to slow start, he is 1 point behind Lapierre, Begin and Dandanault
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Laraque won that fight. U tube it and look at it again. Fritz got punches in at first because Laraque missed his grab at Fritz's jersey. All Fritz did was swing widely but it only took one Laraque punch to mess up Fritz's face. When they both get up off the ice after the take down you can see the big welt by Fritz's right eye, that one hurt the next morning
I honestly thought BGL won that fight when it happened, just from the way Fritz looked afterward.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 10:16 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry hats View Post
Whiners? Next time there's a scrum with BGL on the ice, and we NEED an enforcer to flex some muscle... watch him perform his disappearance trick. Truly amazing.
Difference between us? I actually watch the games, apparently, you don't.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 10:23 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Currently, I'm watching L'antichambre on RDS...

God I love Georges

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 08:12 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Huh?? To the best of my knowledge, Laraque has weighed approximately 250 lbs his entire career. I can't speak for others but when I use the word "shape" with reference to Laraque, I'm not talking about him shedding pounds, I'm talking about rehabbing his groin and getting his wind to the point where he is able to contribute to the 4th line on a regular basis.

You'd be surprised how George would be able to better contribute to the 4th line on a regular basis if he spent some time with Scott Livingston, the Habs' Strenght and Conditionning Coordinator and shed some pounds. I saw his two fights against Thornton and Fritz and he wasn't very impressive with the fists either. He now looks like a guy who had too many baconators at Wendys last summer.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 08:32 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
You'd be surprised how George would be able to better contribute to the 4th line on a regular basis if he spent some time with Scott Livingston, the Habs' Strenght and Conditionning Coordinator and shed some pounds. I saw his two fights against Thornton and Fritz and he wasn't very impressive with the fists either. He now looks like a guy who had too many baconators at Wendys last summer.
Bacon's hard to resist.

I don't know if he came into camp in good condition or not, that's tough to know. The thing is that he missed camp entirely, pretty well from Day 1 and he's at an age where conditionning matters a lot. He doesn't seem to have any sprint right now, not that he's fast but he should be able to get some momentum going bearing down on d men in the corner. He doesn't have that right now. I'm sure that attn. is being paid to getting him into game shape, but I can't see how we'd know that weight is a problem.

Higgins and Koivu missed camp as well, but we're talking different models here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
I think having Gorges on the team is confusing him and may lead to some too many men on the ice penalties.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-04-2008 at 10:42 AM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Even rookie posters are allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours (I know, God forbid). As a global moderator you should set a better example and shouldn't be allowed to flame other users.

I still consider myself a Noob yet I know the GTFO thingie is more of a hazing ritual on this forum.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-04-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:09 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
We appear to be having a parallel conversation.

Georges Laraque has been playing at his current weight (or somewhere close to it) for his entire career. Are you suggesting that he's been able to play 10 years in the NHL while being out of shape? Perhaps Laraque is slamming back bacon double cheeseburgers while he's off at his summer time gig (running the gym he owns in Edmonton). His current performance couldn't be tied to the groin injury he had before camp, which he subsequently aggravated, could it?

Only in Montréal could a guy the size of a linebacker be expected to skate like the wind and win every fight (3 scraps in 4 games for those claiming he doesn’t do his job) all while recovering from or nursing a groin injury.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Fun? Fun? It's a hockey board. It's life and death. It's like marriage. It's a lifelong commitment. It's like digging holes. And there's no fun allowed.
If you want fun, ask McPhee for his Mrs Howell impression.
I blame the league, if the schedule was put together by humans instead of shaved apes the Habs might play more than once a week and these divisive threads wouldn't get any attention.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Beakermania*

now that we're all on the same page... can we get back on topic??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:16 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I blame the league, if the schedule was put together by humans instead of shaved apes the Habs might play more than once a week and these divisive threads wouldn't get any attention.
Hey anything that gets me doing Mrs.Howell is worthe efort right ? Right / Who's with me ?

I meant doing as in an impression not actually....., though frankly, why not ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Newhabfan

Back on topic..

I've read somewhere that the number of FpG (Fights per Game) in NHL raised from 0.8 two years ago to about 1.1 last year and even more this year. My bet is that both Carbonneau and Gainey never wanted to have an enforcer in their team and were hoping for a different trend last year. All that talk about "team toughness", "our PP will make them pay" etc. was not viable, mostly because there was no clear intention from the NHL to keep physical play clean. So the next best thing after "not needing an enforcer" was "an enforcer that can also skate". BGL in this case.

I think Laraque's presence in our team had a positive effect, and not only on the Yotes game, but even in games he was not there. How many teams have tried, during the first ten games to play rough? almost none. Yotes tried and Laraque played his part. His role is symbolic - you do not want opposing teams to think that physical intimidation is an option against the Habs. I bet that should something like this happen he would be there to answer. But his role is dissuassion not to initiate the aggression.

I'm perfectly happy with him on the bench or in the pressbox as long as the opponents are not aggressing our skilled players. That's his mission after all.

I'm also perfectly happy with him facing the media instead of the others. I'd rather have everyone bashing Laraque then Sergei K. Maybe his presence at the Antichambre was planned on purpose to give the media something to chew for the next week?

Imagine what the media would do for 5-6 days with no game, without Laraque as subject? Latendresse? Sergei? Kovalev even?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote