HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs, rebounds, and crease-crashing

Old
11-04-2008, 01:08 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Habs, rebounds, and crease-crashing

A heads up for an interesting blog post. This should be interesting reading especially for those people who believe Montreal doesn't do enough fishing for rebounds, as well as those who espouse the "didn't-go-to-the-net-enough" theory of the Habs' playoff exit and believe it has carried through this season:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...ease_crashers/

The notion that the Habs are purely playing on the perimeter is a trifle outdated, and it's good to see statistics demonstrating that.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
A heads up for an interesting blog post. This should be interesting reading especially for those people who believe Montreal doesn't do enough fishing for rebounds, as well as those who espouse the "didn't-go-to-the-net-enough" theory of the Habs' playoff exit and believe it has carried through this season:

The notion that the Habs are purely playing on the perimeter is a trifle outdated, and it's good to see statistics demonstrating that.
People get mis-conceptions about goals scored from close in, they assume that the big guys get them all, when Koivu and Plekanec are both excellent in tight.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

This should be posted on the Ruins board. They always come-up with the pathetic "Habs are soft and only a team that plays the perimeter".

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:03 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
People get mis-conceptions about goals scored from close in, they assume that the big guys get them all, when Koivu and Plekanec are both excellent in tight.
Second on that Koivu point. He rarely scores from more than 10 feet away.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Second on that Koivu point. He rarely scores from more than 10 feet away.
Partly because his hot might not break a pane of glass. I wonder about that. He could snap the puck when he came into the league, but seemed to lose that ability early on. He compensates but I've awlays wondered why.

Old
11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
This should be posted on the Ruins board. They always come-up with the pathetic "Habs are soft and only a team that plays the perimeter".
I'm sure that would only result in a bunch of "grow a pair" or "grow a set" comments, some Lucic praising and inevitably a "USA, USA, USA!!!" chant.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Coco Fever

Habs have finally started playing the new tendency; they now send 2 guys to the net instead of playing the standard triangle when entering the offensive zone.
They have the speed to do it.

Puck carrier enters the zone along the board and usually slows down while F2 and F3 "crash" (go to) the net for deflection/rebound. They allow the Ds to jump in the play, so the "onside" D is there to "complete" the triangle...

We're seeing more and mor eof those square offense vs the original trainagle offense. You have 1 more passing option and it's putting a lot of pressure on the opponents. 1 thing I particularly like about this new offensive concept is that the opponents really have to backcheck hard otherwise they're allowing a 2 on 1 either in front of the net or on the puck side along the board.

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Habs have finally started playing the new tendency; they now send 2 guys to the net instead of playing the standard triangle when entering the offensive zone.
They have the speed to do it.

Puck carrier enters the zone along the board and usually slows down while F2 and F3 "crash" (go to) the net for deflection/rebound. They allow the Ds to jump in the play, so the "onside" D is there to "complete" the triangle...

We're seeing more and mor eof those square offense vs the original trainagle offense. You have 1 more passing option and it's putting a lot of pressure on the opponents. 1 thing I particularly like about this new offensive concept is that the opponents really have to backcheck hard otherwise they're allowing a 2 on 1 either in front of the net or on the puck side along the board.
so, I'd think that makes a lot of sense for the makeup of the team, as they have about 7 forwards with the vision to pick out options that a lot of players don't see.

Does this account for a few more 2 on 1's against than normal, maybe some mis-reads ?

Old
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Partly because his hot might not break a pane of glass. I wonder about that. He could snap the puck when he came into the league, but seemed to lose that ability early on. He compensates but I've awlays wondered why.
I guess I shouldn't be going there but I'm trying not to censor my thoughts. See where that takes me.... hopefully not jail.

I'll rationalize Koivu's declining snap shot with his wifes reputed physical gifts.

I'd say his wife may have the stronger wrists now.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:24 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
I guess I shouldn't be going there but I'm trying not to censor my thoughts. See where that takes me.... hopefully not jail.

I'll rationalize Koivu's declining snap shot with his wifes reputed physical gifts.

I'd say his wife may have the stronger wrists now.
I get it, marriage to attractive woman=decline in wrist shot due to less intense exercising of the wrist. No wonder young Kostitsyn can still really snap them.

Old
11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
I get it, marriage to attractive woman=decline in wrist shot due to less intense exercising of the wrist. No wonder young Kostitsyn can still really snap them.
Precisely...

logic even holds up for Sr. Kostitsyn who's married but seperated from his wife by an Ocean and 3/4 of a continent.

Go figure.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Coco Fever

Quote:

As for your question about 2 on 1; yes, you'll usually outnumber the opponents more often, but they won't be "visual" 2 on 1...like the normal 2 on 1 we usually see...not sure it's clear what I'm writing! Let me explain a bit more; you're trying to get a 2 on1 at the net with your 2Fs vs their 1D...also, you're trying to "isolate" their other D versus your puck carrier and your D that jumps in the play...

If the other team doesn't react quick enough, you can have 2 X 2 on 1 situations in the offensive zone...

I think you're involved in minor hockey, right? If it's still the case, get your teams to play like that...minor hockey coaches don't know how to adapt (or will not due to lack of knowledge) to that system! You'll see them jumping on the bench and yelling "BACK, BACK, BACK" at their players...

Coco Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Bretvincent

interesting read, though its not that surprising considering we are one of the highest scoring teams so concordantly there would most likely be a relation between that and a common way to get goals though it was interesting that Detroit wasn't scoring many goals like that up to now this year.

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:49 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post

As for your question about 2 on 1; yes, you'll usually outnumber the opponents more often, but they won't be "visual" 2 on 1...like the normal 2 on 1 we usually see...not sure it's clear what I'm writing! Let me explain a bit more; you're trying to get a 2 on1 at the net with your 2Fs vs their 1D...also, you're trying to "isolate" their other D versus your puck carrier and your D that jumps in the play...

If the other team doesn't react quick enough, you can have 2 X 2 on 1 situations in the offensive zone...

I think you're involved in minor hockey, right? If it's still the case, get your teams to play like that...minor hockey coaches don't know how to adapt (or will not due to lack of knowledge) to that system! You'll see them jumping on the bench and yelling "BACK, BACK, BACK" at their players...
thanks. My only involvement is watching the games of friend's kids when I can.

Old
11-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Etienne

Ak46 is also very good in front of the net, even if his work doesn't necessarily shows on the scoring sheet. Just watch this video and how he bumps Chara out of Kovalev's way (@ around 0:55)

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 03:20 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
Ak46 is also very good in front of the net, even if his work doesn't necessarily shows on the scoring sheet. Just watch this video and how he bumps Chara out of Kovalev's way (@ around 0:55)

Hahaha all three goals right in front of the net. Yep Montreal is a perimeter team

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
Precisely...

logic even holds up for Sr. Kostitsyn who's married but seperated from his wife by an Ocean and 3/4 of a continent.

Go figure.
She's actually living here with Andrei (and their daughter) now.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
To be fair, you can't blame them. Over the last few years, I'm sure a lot of their fans have probably stopped watching after the 1st period of Habs/Bruins games. They haven't had the opportunity/desire to watch how the games turn out and get an understanding of our team

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote