HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brown to Isles rumor

Old
11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
And your window to win the Cup will likely be the when Tavare/Hedman ETC's are up. With Kopitar's 2nd contract of $6.7M, the window is going to open and close on all that talent REALLY quickly. DL did a great job locking Brown up long term at a bargain rate, but assuming they develop like expected, what happens when Johnson, Doughty & Bernier all want to get paid?

It's a GREAT problem to have (too much talent, not enough cap $'s), but to call a team a Cup contender is overly optimistic IMO.
Pittsburgh is dealing with the problem quite well right now if you ask me....

You get the time to evaluate and keep the best of the bunch... and trade away the guys who don't work out quite as you planned but still have good value.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:47 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGo94 View Post
Sorry but the Kings will not trade Brown if at all ever.
When did Brown change his last name to Crosby?

Don't get me wrong I don't see the Kings actively trying to trade the guy, and add to the fact the Islanders don't make good trading partners, but for the right package why wouldn't the Kings make a deal.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post

Don't get me wrong I don't see the Kings actively trying to trade the guy, and add to the fact the Islanders don't make good trading partners, but for the right package why wouldn't the Kings make a deal.
Because it's a two steps forward, three steps back kind of deal? I just don't see the rationale in trading such a valuable asset at this time.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Celestial Black

This is highly doubtful.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post

Oh and what is the "right package"? They would only trade brown in a trade involving someone in tops in return. They will not trade him for picks or "supposedly good prospects". So you know then with your theory Crosby is tradeable as well for "the right package" than also. So let's come back to reality now and no Brown will not be traded and no I don't see the Kings making any blockbuster trades since the last one they did was for Palffy looooong ago. DL isn't like that.

GoKingsGo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Oh and what is the "right package"? They would only trade brown in a trade involving someone in tops in return. They will not trade him for picks or "supposedly good prospects". So you know then with your theory Crosby is tradeable as well for "the right package" than also. So let's come back to reality now and no Brown will not be traded and no I don't see the Kings making any blockbuster trades since the last one they did was for Palffy looooong ago. DL isn't like that.
Not that I believe the Islanders would offer it... but some other kings posters have said they wouldn't make the following trade.

Brown

for

Okposo
Islanders First round pick 09

Would you make the deal??

Old
11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
backofthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Not that I believe the Islanders would offer it... but some other kings posters have said they wouldn't make the following trade.

Brown

for

Okposo

I LOVE Brown. He brings an intangible to the team.

It would be wrong to trade him after he signed a long, cap friendly contract.

He is the new face of the Kings.

Having said all of that...this offer would be tough to pass up. Basically the Kings get a RWer in the mold of an Iginla and a top 10 pick...maybe even a top 5.

But, this will not happen. It makes no sense for the Isles or the Kings.

backofthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthenet View Post
I LOVE Brown. He brings an intangible to the team.

It would be wrong to trade him after he signed a long, cap friendly contract.

He is the new face of the Kings.

Having said all of that...this offer would be tough to pass up. Basically the Kings get a RWer in the mold of an Iginla and a top 10 pick...maybe even a top 5.

But, this will not happen. It makes no sense for the Isles or the Kings.
I personally think you take it and end up with 2 shots at Tavares/Hedman.... but you're right in that it doesn't make sense for the isles.

I love Brown... and i think it would take an overpayment by someone to get him out of LA. but i don't think he's untouchable.

Old
11-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Pnut

Quote:

Brown

for

Okposo

this is highly unlikely
Okposo was a high 1st rounder that s getting better game by game (he was just moved up to the 1st line and the pick this summer which could be Hedman or Tavares. The Isles are already last in the whole league (with only LA near us)
This is very uinlikely and only would have been done if MM was still the GM (TG he is not)

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 03:55 PM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:

Brown

for

Okposo

I would definitely NOT make that deal.

Reasons why:

1) Isn't Okposo "supposed" to play like Brown?
2) He isn't proven yet whereas Brown is
3) Brown has a great long term contract right now
4) He just got captain. What does that say to others on the team then?
5) There is no guarentee the Isles will get a #1 or #2 pick.
6) So we trade a core young captain star who is a monster hitter and goal scorer for someone even younger and not proven yet? Why don't we trade Frolov and Kopitar then since they are over 20.

That is why I wouldn't. Makes no sense at all. Those that would do the trade must be blinded assuming the Isles will land a #1 or #2 pick.

Old
11-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
this is highly unlikely
Okposo was a high 1st rounder that s getting better game by game (he was just moved up to the 1st line and the pick this summer which could be Hedman or Tavares. The Isles are already last in the whole league (with only LA near us)
This is very uinlikely and only would have been done if MM was still the GM (TG he is not)
I didn't say it was likely... infact i said as much in the first sentence of my post...

however another poster suggested it earlier in the thread and there were kings fans turning it down... i was wondering how this poster felt. See:

Quote:
I would definitely NOT make that deal.

Reasons why:

1) Isn't Okposo "supposed" to play like Brown?
2) He isn't proven yet whereas Brown is
3) Brown has a great long term contract right now
4) He just got captain. What does that say to others on the team then?
5) There is no guarentee the Isles will get a #1 or #2 pick.
6) So we trade a core young captain star who is a monster hitter and goal scorer for someone even younger and not proven yet? Why don't we trade Frolov and Kopitar then since they are over 20.

That is why I wouldn't. Makes no sense at all. Those that would do the trade must be blinded assuming the Isles will land a #1 or #2 pick.
This is supposedly the best draft since 03... go back and look at that first round....

Even if its not a 1 or 2 pick; it will certainly be a top 10; and i'm 90% sure it will be top 5... that has a huge amount of value to me.

And it has a pretty good chance of being top 2.

Old
11-04-2008, 03:59 PM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthenet View Post
Basically the Kings get a RWer in the mold of an Iginla and a top 10 pick...maybe even a top 5.

IN the mold? Oh so you mean take another gamble on someone who is "supposed" to be like someone. So we should give up one of our young stars whom is still on the up and up and will put up the points close to Iginla and hit harder than Iginla?

This is why the Kings will never win a cup and always be in rebuild phase because people seem they just want to keep trading and trading for prospects and picks and now even trade our young core people for even younger players.

Simplay amazing

Old
11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:
I didn't say it was likely... infact i said as much in the first sentence of my post...

however another poster suggested it earlier in the thread and there were kings fans turning it down... i was wondering how this poster felt. See:

This is supposedly the best draft since 03... go back and look at that first round....

Even if its not a 1 or 2 pick; it will certainly be a top 10; and i'm 90% sure it will be top 5... that has a huge amount of value to me.

And it has a pretty good chance of being top 2.
So why would we give up our young star captain for someone not proven yet? Maybe we can trade Kopitar, O'Sullivan, Frolov etc. then also for some players who are "supposed" to be good also.

I am just shocked at some people who are Kings fan who would make this deal. Thank god they are not the GM or we would have traded our whole core this year already for more picks and prospects.

Old
11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
So why would we give up our young star captain for someone not proven yet? Maybe we can trade Kopitar, O'Sullivan, Frolov etc. then also for some players who are "supposed" to be good also.

I am just shocked at some people who are Kings fan who would make this deal. Thank god they are not the GM or we would have traded our whole core this year already for more picks and prospects.
Normally I'd agree with this line of thinking... but when you have a chance at a generational talent... ie a Tavares or Hedman you take it.

You could even luck out and maybe end up with both.

Imagine this team going forward... put the lines together anyway you want.

Top 6:
O'sullivan, Kopitar, Okposo;
Frolov, Tavares, Moller

Top 3 D: Doughty, JJohnson, Hickey

Goalie: Bernier

or you could replace Tavares with a Schenn and add Hedman giving you an amazing top 4 D.

or you hit the ultimate jackpot and get both.

Old
11-04-2008, 04:12 PM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:
Normally I'd agree with this line of thinking... but when you have a chance at a generational talent... ie a Tavares or Hedman you take it.

Top 6:
Frolov, Tavares, Moller

or you could replace Tavares with a Schenn and add Hedman giving you an amazing top 4 D.

I definitely agree with you but what does that tell your team and players and fans that you trade your newley named captain whom has stepped up off the ice to become one of the new faces of the LA Kings then turn around to trade him for someone not in the elite ranks?

If I am a player I would simply say "Wow. Am I next then? I thought we have our core in tact and now to build around us and trade those who are good prospects but not fitting the system for proven players, but not trade core members already".

That will send a very bad message trading him. We don't "need" taveres and hedman. He have a stock pile of D now as it is and our forwards are great too and yes it would be good to have both but don't need em bad enough to trade our newly named young captain for a "chance" at it.

Old
11-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

Top 6:
Frolov, Tavares, Moller

Except that Tavares and Hedman aren't generational talents and according to Cliff Fletcher they aren't even franchise talents. Although I think Fletcher might be out to lunch on that, but these guys aren't locks to be superstars. Okposo and the Isles first isn't a bad deal for Brown, but at some point the Kings need to stop trading away proven talent for unproven teenagers. They need to start filling in their roster with quality veterans to show their youth how to win instead of trying to compete for the all prospect team.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 04:17 PM
GoKingsGo94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Except that Tavares and Hedman aren't generational talents and according to Cliff Fletcher they aren't even franchise talents. Although I think Fletcher might be out to lunch on that, but these guys aren't locks to be superstars. Okposo and the Isles first isn't a bad deal for Brown, but at some point the Kings need to stop trading away proven talent for unproven teenagers. They need to start filling in their roster with quality veterans to show their youth how to win instead of trying to compete for the all prospect team.

That is well said and fully agree. I was trying to put words like that together you said it perfectly =)

Old
11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
well if thats your thinking i can accept that.... i guess it comes down to how you evaluate Tavares and Hedman..... Personally I'm putting them in the franchise talent area where many analysts have.... I've seen Tavares live myself many times and i think hes the real deal. Not Sidney Crosby level... but close to it.

but thats another debate for another thread.

Old
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
well if thats your thinking i can accept that.... i guess it comes down to how you evaluate Tavares and Hedman..... Personally I'm putting them in the franchise talent area where many analysts have.... I've seen Tavares live myself many times and i think hes the real deal. Not Sidney Crosby level... but close to it.

but thats another debate for another thread.
I believe Tavares is the real deal, too, but I wouldn't claim he is a generational talent at this point. My point was that there are no guarantees with these prospects. The Kings would be sending a terrible message to every young player in that organization by trading their young captain. They don't really need more prospects. They need to find quality players to compliment the great youth that they have.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote