HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Donít believe the Hab hype

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2008, 11:55 PM
  #26
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,119
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Alex Kovalev? He wonít duplicate his í07-08 campaign Ė 35 goals and 84 points Ė this season. He hadnít approached such lofty totals since the early part of the decade with Pittsburgh.
Honestly, how can somebody write garbage like this and expect to be taken seriously? "Alex Kovalev won't duplicate last year's success because I said so". Well don't look now but he's already at a PPG clip.

Quote:
The supporting cast up front? Alex Tanguay is off to a nice start with six goals and 11 points, but heís a passer, not a shooter.
Same crap as above. What does this even mean? If he's a passer, isn't he getting assists, thus ensuring that someone (if not him) is scoring goals? What's the problem?

Quote:
Tomas Plekanec? Three goals, seven points. The brothers Kostitsyn? Seven points combined. Guillaume Latendresse? One goal.
Should I go through the entire NHL and list players that are off to slow starts? Players who play on their teams first lines and not their third like S. Kostitsyn and Latendresse do for us?

I'm not even reading the rest of the article. Shame on THN for printing such lazy, inept tripe (which is, unfortunately, more the norm than not these days). I have no problem if you want to try to deconstruct this year's Habs team but for Christ's sake, put a little thought behind your reasoning. This is just embarassing.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:58 PM
  #27
Judge Sauer*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nunavut
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,989
vCash: 500
I wouldn't put too much stock into what he says (besides the total lack of knowledge), this is his first column and his other two contributions to THN are:
Top 10: Scary goalie masks
Top 10: Highest payrolls

He even starts off by saying that he's disagreeing with his co-workers, probably just in the off chance that the Habs end up somewhere besides first in the East just to tell them all "I told you so"

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:00 AM
  #28
Skrudland
Registered User
 
Skrudland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Granted, the í07-08 Sens had some internal problems, but they also had three legitimate 100-point players; the Habs donít have any.
He's right you know. Since potent first lines never slump, get injured, or become the target of shut-down lines there's absolutely no need for scoring depth.

Skrudland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:03 AM
  #29
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montrťal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland View Post
He's right you know. Since potent first lines never slump, get injured, or become the target of shut-down lines there's absolutely no need for scoring depth.
Scoring depth? Come on, we have a passer scoring goals, that's bad.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:07 AM
  #30
ROEN
HabsHQ
 
ROEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
best reply



Glenn Hamilton, from Atlanta - 2008-11-05 01:05:59
Hahahahahahaha that's your argument ? because Tanguay is a passer and our defencemen are defensive ( besides Markov ??? ) Grigg ... go to your fridge, open it, put your headin there AND SLAM THAT DOOR !!!

btw ? what hype ? everyone I've talked to believes the Rangers and Detroit are gonna duke it out in the finals followed closely by the Sharks, Flyers, Pens & Ducks

The Habs are everyone's Cinderella winner yah ok ... it would be nice ...

but the favorites ?


Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-05-2008 at 12:32 AM.
ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:09 AM
  #31
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,400
vCash: 500
That article did seem to smack of some bitterness. He's assuming that everything that can go wrong will go wrong. The chances of everything going wrong at the same time are slim. That is the beauty of depth.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:14 AM
  #32
holyhabs87
Registered User
 
holyhabs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 2009
this is good bulletin board material..this and the stan fischler ****** dissin carey..

dont u just love the hate? there is not 1 similarity between this habs team and the sens team last yaer..we have a goalie...we have more than 1 line that can score..no internal conflicts.

there is not 1 fact or plausible reason to support his argument. he is basing everything off his own assumptions.

no we dont have 3 100 point scorers. we have something more valuable and that is depth. 3 solid lines.

ask the pats how brady's 50 td passes and mosses 22 td receptions helped them in the superbowl. stats are not everything. and that writer is nothing.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:24 AM
  #33
Kachino
Registered User
 
Kachino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: China
Posts: 5,046
vCash: 500



Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:27 AM
  #34
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan56 View Post
the only aspect of the article i agree with is that our defensive corps is too defensive
other than markov and sometimes hamrlik, the d has trouble moving the puck out of the zone
That's funny because we pretty much had the same D for a big part of last year seeing as Streit is the only one we lost and he was used on Offense quite often.

This guy should join HF, he'd fit in with the dumb bashers perfectly.

I really love his arguments.
''Koivu won't keep up his streak''.. Why?..I don't know but if he does he'll get injured, so he won't.. Great Argument
''Tanguay's good, but he's a passer not a shooter''...okay and?..Great Argument
''Latendresse has 1Goal'', but let's forget about the ''A'' Column. Great Argument
''Kovalev won't have as many pts as last year''. Why?..Because he's been inconsistent throughout his career. So?..How is that solid proof?..What if he gets 60-70ish pts and the other 10-20pts are spread out evenly through the team?..Great Argument
''Plekanec has 7pts''..Not sure if he was trying to say that's bad or not..regardless, I thought that was another Great Argument
''Kost Bros have 7pts combined'' but let's not bring out the fact A.Kost got injured..Great Argument

''Outside of Markov, the defensive end is defensive.'' And?..why is that bad?..Great Argument

''Carey Price and Halak is the tandem with the lowest exp and Carey is not Dryden nor Roy''...so this means they will be bad. Maybe we should let him talk to a certain Cam Ward.. Great Argument...

Oh yeah, let's forget about the guy that scored 27G last year with us. Let's also forget about the one that put 21 pucks in last year with the Hawks. And who are these Mike Komisarek and Roman Hamrlik??..
They're not part of the supporting cast.

The sens comparison is hilarious too, seeing as he acknowledges there was internal problems. But hey, they had three 100pts players. I guess he forgot what happened to the Lightning. They also had three superstars..look where that lead them. Yet another solid Argument

The guy has brought nothing more than a personal opinion on the matter. Zero Arguments..Why would The Hockey News even let such a guy have a blog??..
I mean, if he had decent arguments, I'd actually respect his article, but this is good for the toilet.


Last edited by Kriss E: 11-05-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:44 AM
  #35
ari1160
 
ari1160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
what an a** face...

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:44 AM
  #36
Carboneer
Registered User
 
Carboneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Does this individual know hockey? I stopped reading after "the sens had internal problems" and "the sens have 3 100 point players"

Does he realize that hockey is a TEAM sport, and if you have internal problems, ie TEAM problems, you are going to be in trouble. I also didn't realize the NHL adopted pond hockey rules, where only 3 players play the whole game.

If I was THN, I would consider putting this guy back to updating the stats page.
Lol... my exact thoughts

Carboneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:45 AM
  #37
Mother Pucker
Registered User
 
Mother Pucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Tibet
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That's funny because we pretty much had the same D for a big part of last year seeing as Streit is the only one we lost and he was used on Offense quite often.

This guy should join HF, he'd fit in with the dumb bashers perfectly.

I really love his arguments.
''Koivu won't keep up his streak''.. Why?..I don't know but if he does he'll get injured, so he won't.. Great Argument
''Tanguay's good, but he's a passer not a shooter''...okay and?..Great Argument
''Latendresse has 1Goal'', but let's forget about the ''A'' Column. Great Argument
''Kovalev won't have as many pts as last year''. Why?..Because he's been inconsistent throughout his career. So?..How is that solid proof?..What if he gets 60-70ish pts and the other 10-20pts are spread out evenly through the team?..Great Argument
''Plekanec has 7pts''..Not sure if he was trying to say that's bad or not..regardless, I thought that was another Great Argument
''Kost Bros have 7pts combined'' but let's not bring out the fact A.Kost got injured..Great Argument

''Outside of Markov, the defensive end is defensive.'' And?..why is that bad?..Great Argument

''Carey Price and Halak is the tandem with the lowest exp and Carey is not Dryden nor Roy''...so this means they will be bad. Maybe we should let him talk to a certain Cam Ward.. Great Argument...

Oh yeah, let's forget about the guy that scored 27G last year with us. Let's also forget about the one that put 21 pucks in last year with the Hawks. And who are these Mike Komisarek and Roman Hamrlik??..
They're not part of the supporting cast.

The sens comparison is hilarious too, seeing as he acknowledges there was internal problems. But hey, they had three 100pts players. I guess he forgot what happened to the Lightning. They also had three superstars..look where that lead them. Yet another solid Argument

The guy has brought nothing more than a personal opinion on the matter. Zero Arguments..Why would The Hockey News even let such a guy have a blog??..
I mean, if he had decent arguments, I'd actually respect his article, but this is good for the toilet.
Voilŗ.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 01:41 AM
  #38
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Thank god.

I was fearing everyone in the media was jumping on the bandwagon.

We need detractors to wake us up and go, "We still got people to prove wrong".

We seen "They won't make the playoffs" become "They won't do better than last season". Lets make them say, "Well, they can't win the Cup back to back".

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 01:41 AM
  #39
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,222
vCash: 500
This blogger makes the point that some Habs will come down from the heights, notably Koivu. He fails to consider that some of the other Habs haven't hit their stride yet this season and are bound to improve. The Plekanec line, especially A. Kostitsyn, will do better, not worse. If they're the first line, then the Habs will have a much stronger second line to back them up. Forget the argument that Tanguay is just a playmaker. He'll score twice as many goals as Ryder did last season (he's only eight behind Ryder's total of 14 right now.) The third line will score a lot more now that Higgins has returned from the injury list. By the end of the season, Price will be a lot better than he was in last year's playoffs. There may be a few teams in the West who are stronger than the Habs. However, if the Habs reach the finals they just have to beat the other finalist, not all of the West teams in a row.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 01:47 AM
  #40
Quiet Robert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,262
vCash: 500
Everyone's entitled to their opinions, moronic though they may be.

If he wanted to question the Habs, a much smarter line of reasoning would have been to question their opposition so far. 8-1-1 is an impressive record but the quality of opposition was not top flight.

You could also question the team's propensity to give up a lot of shots. Once again Montreal is in the bottom 10 and allows 31.0 shots per game. The team seems to be playing better defensively as far as limiting quality chances, but in games where the goaltending is average (see Anaheim) this will cost us points.

You could also question the team's depth on defence. One injury to a member of the mini big 3 and Montreal is a lot more trouble than some fans may like to admit. (Granted this may be true for a lot of teams in the NHL, but it's still a more valid observation than anything found in the link posted.) Also, an injury to the bottom 3 could force too many minutes on guys who aren't ready for them. Either way, with O'Byrne and Brisebois as no.6 and 7 dmen, there isn't much room for injury.

The argument about point totals on defence is misleading and lazy but I'll respond to it. Markov is good for 55-60+, Hamrlik should get 30+, Komisarek will flirt with 20, Gorges and Bouillon will flirt with 15. But more importantly, our dmen are mobile puck movers, and even if they aren't putting up points they are essential in getting the puck up the ice and getting our transition game going.

But to go on about point totals on one of the deepest teams in the league and complaining about dmen playing defence (what?) is lazy and inept sports journalism.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 05:35 AM
  #41
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I hope not, then we'd be the Senators

I laughed hard @ this !!



John Grigg

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 05:36 AM
  #42
ReVeuF
Registered User
 
ReVeuF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montrťal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
I totally hope Carbo will print this article and show it to the players, that will give them a boost.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 06:09 AM
  #43
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
This blogger makes the point that some Habs will come down from the heights, notably Koivu. He fails to consider that some of the other Habs haven't hit their stride yet this season and are bound to improve. The Plekanec line, especially A. Kostitsyn, will do better, not worse. If they're the first line, then the Habs will have a much stronger second line to back them up. Forget the argument that Tanguay is just a playmaker. He'll score twice as many goals as Ryder did last season (he's only eight behind Ryder's total of 14 right now.) The third line will score a lot more now that Higgins has returned from the injury list. By the end of the season, Price will be a lot better than he was in last year's playoffs. There may be a few teams in the West who are stronger than the Habs. However, if the Habs reach the finals they just have to beat the other finalist, not all of the West teams in a row.
That was my exact reaction. There's a blatant contradiction in his piece. Why is it that our players starting well can cool off, but our players starting cold can't heat up?!

I agree with his point, that perhaps our early record is better than our play has indicated, but it's only been 10 games and we have the best win % in the East. So just imagine if/when we do start to play some solid hockey all around.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 06:12 AM
  #44
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
I believe in what doesn't kill you, simply makes you blogger

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 06:40 AM
  #45
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Although I agree with none of his evidence, I do think the Habs have holes in their team that could hurt them further into the schedule. Quiet Robert enumerated them.

As for the comparison to last year's Sens, that's just plain silly. These two teams have nothing in common and the biggest difference is that the Sens had one scoring line and the Habs on any night can rotate three. Makes it a little difficult to key on one particular line.

As for the the goal tending duo, yes they don't have the experience. But what will they do during this year sit on the bench and watch? They'll be playing.

Last time I checked the word defenceman was someone who played defence not someone who was offensive from the defence.

He's entitled to his own opinions but he is not entitled to his own facts. And he got his facts wrong.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 06:51 AM
  #46
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I think out of all the teams in the history of the NHL, Montreal has proven before that records, and statistics do not matter. Especially with the odds stacked against us we tend to make history (NYR vs MTL Come Back, Projected bottom seed last year, only to come out 1st in the east).

They can yap all they want but its all smoke and mirrors for inexperienced journalists (if you can call them that) who have nothing better to do, then bash the team that has made history, is making history, and continues to celebrate its 100th year with the Hype of Winning Lord Stanley's Cup.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:43 AM
  #47
GaineysRightHandMan
Registered User
 
GaineysRightHandMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
The only thing that I believed from the article is the possibility of a December slump. Is anyone else fearful of that?

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:53 AM
  #48
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Wow, this article reeks so much of angst and hate towards the Habs that it's not even journalism anymore. It's just some random Joe trying to bash the team to get hits on his "blog".

I'm glad I canceled my THN sub when they hire goofballs like him.

I'm perfectly fine with people not agreeing that we have a good team, but this is an obvious mindless bashing fest.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:55 AM
  #49
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,382
vCash: 500
Stop believing in it......start living it!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:02 AM
  #50
Fire Brunet*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .-.
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Strong sophisms in the article

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.