HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Changes in European Hockey (KHL and Champions League)

Old
05-21-2008, 02:33 AM
LennyV

vCash: 500
Changes in European Hockey (KHL and Champions League)

Somewhat big changes are coming to the Euro Hockey scene next year when RSL relaunches itself as the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga) with 24 teams (21 russian teams + 1 each from Kazaksthan, Latvia and Belarus). This league is set to expand in 2009 and maybe include teams from Sweden and Finland. I've also heard talks about KHL entry drafts and such. More info on KHL (in english): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Hockey_League

the next big change is the revamping of the Hockey Champions League which I think might bring some more attention to that tournament. info on that (with schedule!):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2..._Hockey_League

what impact do you think this will have on hockey internationally and locally? can this be a step in the direction of european hockey (in some form) being a serious threat to NHL?

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
Somewhat big changes are coming to the Euro Hockey scene next year when RSL relaunches itself as the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga) with 24 teams (21 russian teams + 1 each from Kazaksthan, Latvia and Belarus). This league is set to expand in 2009 and maybe include teams from Sweden and Finland. I've also heard talks about KHL entry drafts and such. More info on KHL (in english): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Hockey_League

the next big change is the revamping of the Hockey Champions League which I think might bring some more attention to that tournament. info on that (with schedule!):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2..._Hockey_League

what impact do you think this will have on hockey internationally and locally? can this be a step in the direction of european hockey (in some form) being a serious threat to NHL?
You've just ruinned this thread. Now we'll get a bunch of posts saying "no way" etc.
I don't think that KHL should be somehow compared to NHL at this stage.
I'd better talk about KHL and Swedish, Finnish, Czech teams joining it, because it would be really interesting for me to attend the game against one of such teams. And imagine if there is a dirty play occured so all message boards will be full of Russia vs other country confrontation and this way a good Russian vs European derby can appear.

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 02:47 AM
LennyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
I'd better talk about KHL and Swedish, Finnish, Czech teams joining it, because it would be really interesting for me to attend the game against one of such teams. And imagine if there is a dirty play occured so all message boards will be full of Russia vs other country confrontation and this way a good Russian vs European derby can appear.
I don't really like the idea of Swedish, Finnish & Czech teams joing KHL. At least not now. Most hockey fans have some knowledge of the best teams and players in these leagues and we can see the best teams from the different leagues playing against each other in champions league. I'm really high on the idea that teams from Belarus, Latvia etc are gonna play in KHL. I hope this will improve these countries national teams and we get to see even more latvians and belarusians on a higher level (NHL, KHL, SEL etc...). Hockey as a sport is really good on the highest level (olympics, world championship playoffs, nhl, khl etc) but it could really benefit by narrowing the gap between the good and the bad teams so that more games in international tournaments become close and exciting. I think KHL is a step (not sure of how big this step will be though) in the right direction when it comes to that.

I can see it being a threat to NHL in the way that you see a lot of young european players going to North America playing junior hockey and in the minor leagues in hope of getting a pro deal. If KHL becomes a success on a broad european scale (tv deal very crucia) more european players can stay in europe or come back to europe in an earlier stage of their career (Perezhogin a good example) rather than just stick around in AHL (Weinhandl a good example). NHL might lose its status of being the only league that matters even though KHL might never (probably never) will surpass the NHL as a hockey league.

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:37 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
First, why doesn't Fetisov fix the junior system first? It would be great to see russian young skilled guys and develop in russia. It can't happen under the current system though. Look at Vasyunov, Mayorov, and Korostin (a few examples). If they could be developed they could be dynamic stars in russia, but they are being wrecked which is why one of those guys already left. It's like they are lost in translation, they don't really have a place to fit after destroying the weaker junior divisions.

It can be cured. I know it's problably not this simple, but...First off, some of these young guys are eligible to play for 4 different teams in Russia. This is bad. The U-18, and U-20 club teams should be merged into one league, independent of the KHL. Also, players under 18 should not be permitted to play on the farm or parent clubs. There should be a draft from the junior league. This way, all of the best young talent in Russia would be playing eachother in one organized junior league, rather than spread over 3 different watered down leagues + the KHL. This way, you will have a junior league that will rival the CHL while develloping top talent. We will then be able to assess and compare these young players on satistics for once.
Also, it would benefit the teams in the KHL because their players would develop alot better playing against their peers, opposed to sitting on the bench with their KHL team, or playing in the less credible farm system.
Overall, a junior league needs to be organized. Right now it is a complete mess, and the development program in Russia is really hurting at the U-20 level.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
leftwing lock

Until other super 7 countries have teams playing in Khl I don't really see it as a big change. I also do not think we will see many top teir teams move to khl as long as the champions league is around.

The champions league I think is a huge step for european hockey. Hopefully some great rivalries can start up. I think it will raise the profile of european hockey in Canada. I would love to have the games on tv here. With so many teams in europe CL makes it easier to follow.

Not sure who to root for yet, maybe I'll take the qualifier.

leftwing lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Chileiceman

Is that Victoria Cup or whatever it is called, where the NHL champion plays against the European Champion going to happen, or has it been shelved? I would have loved to watch that.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Muscle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Is that Victoria Cup or whatever it is called, where the NHL champion plays against the European Champion going to happen, or has it been shelved? I would have loved to watch that.
It's not the NHL champion it's New-York Rangers against Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

Old
05-25-2008, 02:14 PM
malkinfan

When is this happening?

Old
05-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Muscle Bob

1 October, 2008.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cup

Old
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
malkinfan

Hopefully Cherepanov and Anisimov are playing.

Old
05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
no.95

The Champions League looks interesting, as long as the teams take it serious. Last time around the teams, at least the Swedish ones, saw it more as pre-season frendlies and took it as an opportunity to give their juniors some ice time.

Furthermore there really isn't much of an interest around here in Sweden to play teams from other countries. A rather recent example of this is my local club Björklöven who annually host a pre-season tournament. Previous years they have invited top, or at least good, european teams like Kölner Haie, Dynamo Moscow, AK Bars Kazan, Eisbären Berlin, Metallurg Magnitogorsk etc. with hardly any spectators. The games that drew people were the games against other Swedish teams like Modo and Luleå. People want passion, rivalry a history between the teams. Around here no one gives a rats ass about SC Bern, Spartak Moscow or even Espoo Blues.

Another question that comes to mind is whether there will be some sort of relegation system in the KHL or if the teams are set from the beginning with only economy playing a factor when it comes to expansions. Perhaps you can tell but I am really not in favor of modern sports, money ruins too much of the feeling.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Yabob

Considering that the Champions league is spread out during the regular season (and that they are playing for a lot of money) it will probably not be seen as the same thing as preseason games.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2008, 11:13 AM
no.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabob View Post
Considering that the Champions league is spread out during the regular season (and that they are playing for a lot of money) it will probably not be seen as the same thing as preseason games.
No and I do hope that it will be taken seriously. However, the last euro club championships was not. Perhaps more money and a better schedule will make it more interesting. I definitely like the idea, no doubt about it. I think it's the right way to go unlike the expansion of the KHL which I think is too centered around money and show and not about the sport it self.

Old
05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabob View Post
Yes, the clubs will take it seriously. But will the fans?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:33 PM
malkinfan

No offense brother, but dumb question. If there is good hockey, the fans will love it.

Old
06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

After all doesn't the UEFA have their champions league during the seasons of various domestic european leagues like EPL, La Liga and the others!?!?

Anyways, should make for some quality hockey

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 03:28 AM
no.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
No offense brother, but dumb question. If there is good hockey, the fans will love it.
Not necessarily. The regular fan wants passion, rivalry and so on. Your average Swedish fan couldn't care less about Swiss or Russian teams, in some cases the quality of hockey is not all that matters.

The Champions League is a great idea though, even if I think it'll have a hard time establishing itself among fans.

Old
06-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.95 View Post
The Champions League is a great idea though, even if I think it'll have a hard time establishing itself among fans.
I'd say it wouldn't be much of a problem if it was set up right. Just don't let it become the sort of a mess European basketball has been the last 5 or so years..

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:34 AM
leftwing lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by the finnish flash View Post
I'd say it wouldn't be much of a problem if it was set up right. Just don't let it become the sort of a mess European basketball has been the last 5 or so years..
What is wrong with Euroleague? Its sounds like a good system/format. But I don't really know much about it other then what I have read on there site and wikipedia.

leftwing lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
I don't really like the idea of Swedish, Finnish & Czech teams joing KHL. At least not now. Most hockey fans have some knowledge of the best teams and players in these leagues and we can see the best teams from the different leagues playing against each other in champions league. I'm really high on the idea that teams from Belarus, Latvia etc are gonna play in KHL. I hope this will improve these countries national teams and we get to see even more latvians and belarusians on a higher level (NHL, KHL, SEL etc...). Hockey as a sport is really good on the highest level (olympics, world championship playoffs, nhl, khl etc) but it could really benefit by narrowing the gap between the good and the bad teams so that more games in international tournaments become close and exciting. I think KHL is a step (not sure of how big this step will be though) in the right direction when it comes to that.
I was wondering about this, for Dinamo Riga, Barys Astana, and HC Dynamo Minsk (and maybe HC Sokil Kyiv?) is the goal to bring together as many of the national team players as possible?
It seems like it would be a good business move, especially if they could find a way to lure players like the Kostitsyns, Grabovski, Antropov, Skrastins, Ozolins, etc, even if it was towards the end of their careers.

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Not necessarily. The regular fan wants passion, rivalry and so on. Your average Swedish fan couldn't care less about Swiss or Russian teams, in some cases the quality of hockey is not all that matters.
Finnish fans don't even care much about the Swedish clubs, not to mention Russian, Swiss, German or Czech ones. National teams are a different matter.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:13 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing lock View Post
What is wrong with Euroleague? Its sounds like a good system/format. But I don't really know much about it other then what I have read on there site and wikipedia.
It's okay now, but a few years ago there were two top leagues competing - one made by FIBA and the other one by ULEB. I think only this year they got it settled, and now there are three European leagues hosted by FIBA and ULEB together. At least thats my understanding.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 04:22 PM
malkinfan

Quote:

But if sweden is not in it no one cares about the average swedish fan. In your case, think of the average swiss or russian fan. Think of how many more of them will be watching these games.
Thats the whole point, grow the game to many more countries so they will be interested. Obviously Finland will not care if Finish teams arent in the league same for sweden and all the other countries. The overall vision of this league is to grow the league so that it includes teams from all ofthese countries so they will care. It is a smart, logical attempt.

Old
11-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
But if sweden is not in it no one cares about the average swedish fan. In your case, think of the average swiss or russian fan. Think of how many more of them will be watching these games.
Thats the whole point, grow the game to many more countries so they will be interested. Obviously Finland will not care if Finish teams arent in the league same for sweden and all the other countries. The overall vision of this league is to grow the league so that it includes teams from all ofthese countries so they will care. It is a smart, logical attempt.
exactly

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:27 AM
PTmbp13

In North amerika they speak English and in Sweden we speak alittle english, no russian, so many young talents go to nhl rather than khl. That is one huge factor.

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote