HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you deal to make room for Sundin?

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Who would you deal to make room for Sundin?

I know its the hockeybuzz and Eklund but

Again, word that the Rangers and Canucks are working on a deal...It is quite possible, I am also told, that this deal could be directly tied to the Rangers signing Mats Sundin...

According to one VERY connected source: "I wouldn't be shocked at any moment to hear a Rangers trade and Sundin signing. It could happen at any moment now."

I think he will be a Ranger real soon............it just makes sense and I think it is where he wants to play

BUT who do they deal then?

Vancouver needs forwards pretty bad and they may take on Prucha and they have cap space so Rozi would likely be the best Ranger choice

I personally hope it's Rozi and Prucha for Bieska straight up

Then use the rest of the cash for Sundin

BUT what about Gomez?...........Drury?.........others?

Thoughts?

Old
11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Vitto79

Also saw that Ohlund( a Swede ) is a FA next yr and he makes 3.5 , same as Bieska

May take more to get him but perhaps Rozi, Prucha,extra forward or pick........would love them to take Rissmiller but not really Fritsche

Old
11-05-2008, 10:59 AM
DontStepanMe

Would trade in this order any of the following.

Drury (but I don't think there is a GM dumb enough to take that contract)
Redden (see Drury above)
Gomez (see Drury and Redden)
Rosy (see Drury, Redden and Gomez)
Naslund (see Drury, Redden, Gomez and Rosy)
Prucha
Rissmiller
Dawes
Kalinen

in other words we are jolly well ****ed.

Old
11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post

Redden (see Drury above)
Prucha
Rissmiller
Dawes
Kalinen

Um...Nazzy contracts good 4 million per year and hes near avging a point per game...come on.

Old
11-05-2008, 11:13 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Redden (see Drury above)
Prucha
Rissmiller
Dawes
Kalinen
I disagree on a few fronts.

Drury - NMC and captain, shouldn't even be discussed... he's going nowhere

Redden - NTC (3 teams) - movable depending on which 3 teams he refused to get traded to this year... he had offers from some teams for more $$$ than he ended up signing for (Columbus for sure, perhaps more)

Gomez - NTC (3 teams) - movable depending on which 3 teams he refused to get traded to this year... a team like Vancouver or Columbus would love to have him

Rozsival - doesn't have any trade/move clause - very movable, team like Ottawa would definitely take him

Naslund - NMC, end of discussion

Prucha - don't think there's a market for him like many would want back, but there's no way the Rangers resign him (would have to be for more than $1.6 just to keep him from becoming an UFA), so if we have something imminent and can't find a taker for a ~3rd round pick we can just waive him

Rissmiller - already went through waivers, no one is going to give you anything for him

Dawes - definitely struggling, but with a cap hit of less than 500k, doesn't make any sense to move him for the kind of return he would bring back

Personally, the only one I'd be willing to move based on expected return is Rozsival... and only because I think Mara has made him expendable.

EDIT: But... with Fahey injured, Hartford's D is so depleted that I think we would have to bring in a d-man from outside the organization.

Old
11-05-2008, 11:26 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Rozsival would top my list and no, not just because of last night.

Old
11-05-2008, 11:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Drury isn't going anywhere because he has a no movement clause and Redden isn't going anywhere either, though I would gladly give both away for practically nothing just to be rid of their atrocious contracts.

That makes Scott Gomez the prime candidate, which is a-ok with me. One of the most overrated and overpaid players in the league. He's supposed to be our best offensive forward, which only proves how poorly constructed our roster of forwards is. As I've said before, at least 2/3 of the teams in the NHL have at least one forward better than Gomez, if not more. Gomez isn't a significant goal scoring threat, his best assets are wasted since this team doesn't have a real goal scorer for him to set up, and if I see him do that stupid end-to-end rush one more time I might snap. It's so predictable, and 90% of the time it results in a turnover. Here's a thought: maybe you shouldn't keep doing the same thing over and over again, especially when opposing teams obviously expect you to do it. Scott Gomez is not an elite player and he never has been. He's a very good second line player. He's not a franchise forward.

Other than him, I'd have no problem moving Rozsival. He's not as badly overpaid as Drury, Gomez, or Redden, but he shouldn't be making more than $4 million. He's not a real top-pairing defenseman, and while he does have a great shot, obviously no one can get it through his skull that he needs to shoot. Plus, I don't think anyone on the team makes as many stupid and risky plays as he does.

Kalinin, Mara, Voros, Dawes, Prucha, Fritsche, Rissmiller, Sjostrom...any of those I'd gladly move. I like Sjostrom and Mara and Kalinin is all right, but I wouldn't think twice about moving them to get Sundin. Their defense is good enough that Potter can step in and play 3rd pair minutes.

Frankly the only guys I definitely wouldn't move are Lundqvist, Dubinsky, Staal, Zherdev and Girardi. I love Callahan but even he is expendable.

While I'm sure most of you wish we could get Sundin without giving up any of our big players, but I would be ecstatic if we moved Gomez to get Sundin. I don't expect it to happen, as I think its pretty unlikely, but I would love to see it. Sundin is better than Gomez, even at this age, and if we can get him for another year after this year, and then he leaves, as does Naslund, that gives us nice cap space to pursue a better player than Gomez.
We can't continue with Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rozsival all on this team. Our four highest-paid skaters are all vastly, vastly overpaid and overrated. The team is constructed to succeed in the regular season. Against good teams in long series, this team will crumble due to its inability to score.

Old
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Um...Nazzy contracts good 4 million per year and hes near avging a point per game...come on.
ok I'll give you Naslund. and I would actually like to see him play w/ Sundin. but if I had to choose between getting Sundin or hangin on to Naslund. It's see ya nazzy.

Old
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:

Redden (see Drury above)
Prucha
Rissmiller
Dawes
Kalinen

These threads are a joke! Why would you want to trade Gomez, Naslund, and even Redden? You do realize that this "terrible" defensive group is leading the league in GAA, right? Drury has gotten off to a slow start and Roszival is struggling but the answer certainly isn't trading half the team (unless you want to battle the fishies for Tavares)!

Can see moving Roszival but then you really think Potter is ready to play 20+ minutes at this level? Not for nothing but Rosie chews up a bunch of minutes and is pretty effective (except on the pp). You move him and who do you think is going to play all those minutes? Now you talk about moving both Rosy and Redden and you've left a big hole on the blue line. Who fills in then?

Old
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
These threads are a joke! Why would you want to trade Gomez, Naslund, and even Redden? You do realize that this "terrible" defensive group is leading the league in GAA, right?
It aint b/c of the way we play defense. It's b/c of Lundy that we lead the league in GAA. hate to break it to you.

Quote:
Drury has gotten off to a slow start and Roszival is struggling but the answer certainly isn't trading half the team (unless you want to battle the fishies for Tavares)!
Drury has been nothing short of Terrible. Period. His contract is even worse. It actually makes the team better to get rid of Drury for Sundin for both this year and future years. Drury is the most overpaid, overrated player in this league. and I never said trade half the team. If we can get rid of one player from this list from the top 4 we would have more than enough room to sign Sundin. Plus we get whatever a team gives us in picks/prospects/dman in return of said player (Drury, Gomez, Redden, Rosy).

Quote:
Can see moving Roszival but then you really think Potter is ready to play 20+ minutes at this level? Not for nothing but Rosie chews up a bunch of minutes and is pretty effective (except on the pp). You move him and who do you think is going to play all those minutes? Now you talk about moving both Rosy and Redden and you've left a big hole on the blue line. Who fills in then?
I know about Rosy's minutes. and you do have a point about it. But our problem is we can't score. so we might need Mara, or Kalinen to eat up more minutes. while Potter steps up to third pairing. Maybe we can trade Rosy and Somebody else for a dman, or a prospect. But the fact remains that this team is horrid offensively and will not go anywhere in the PO's as constructed. If we have to sacrifice a .5/gpg to add .75/gpg than we still come out ahead. and If we can shed a bad contract or two in the process we really come ahead. Think about the big picture as well as this year.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Richter35

I think rozy/prucha/fritsche are the most movable assets. If that could land us a decent dman back who doesnt make more than 3.5 (i.e. bieksa) and a pick or something it would leave us with about 4 million to sign sundin. If he didn't take the 2/20 deal in Van then i don't think its about the money for him, he just wants to play on a good team and our struggles notwithstanding we are top 4 in the east I would say, with room to improve. Gomez while overpaid (why in god's name did we not sign Savard for 4/20 in the 06' offseason? his deal is an absolute steal in comparison) is a good player. Drury/Redden are unmovable and i think its worth to keep dawes around, if not for the fact he's dirt cheap right now.

naslund - sundin - drury
dawes - gomez- zherdev
voros-dubi-cally
sjo-betts-orr

let riss rot, i don't like the idea of having a million dollar 13th forward, korpi can be called up in case of injury

Old
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Drury isn't going anywhere because he has a no movement clause and Redden isn't going anywhere either, though I would gladly give both away for practically nothing just to be rid of their atrocious contracts.

That makes Scott Gomez the prime candidate, which is a-ok with me. One of the most overrated and overpaid players in the league. He's supposed to be our best offensive forward, which only proves how poorly constructed our roster of forwards is. As I've said before, at least 2/3 of the teams in the NHL have at least one forward better than Gomez, if not more. Gomez isn't a significant goal scoring threat, his best assets are wasted since this team doesn't have a real goal scorer for him to set up, and if I see him do that stupid end-to-end rush one more time I might snap. It's so predictable, and 90% of the time it results in a turnover. Here's a thought: maybe you shouldn't keep doing the same thing over and over again, especially when opposing teams obviously expect you to do it. Scott Gomez is not an elite player and he never has been. He's a very good second line player. He's not a franchise forward.

Other than him, I'd have no problem moving Rozsival. He's not as badly overpaid as Drury, Gomez, or Redden, but he shouldn't be making more than $4 million. He's not a real top-pairing defenseman, and while he does have a great shot, obviously no one can get it through his skull that he needs to shoot. Plus, I don't think anyone on the team makes as many stupid and risky plays as he does.

Kalinin, Mara, Voros, Dawes, Prucha, Fritsche, Rissmiller, Sjostrom...any of those I'd gladly move. I like Sjostrom and Mara and Kalinin is all right, but I wouldn't think twice about moving them to get Sundin. Their defense is good enough that Potter can step in and play 3rd pair minutes.

Frankly the only guys I definitely wouldn't move are Lundqvist, Dubinsky, Staal, Zherdev and Girardi. I love Callahan but even he is expendable.

While I'm sure most of you wish we could get Sundin without giving up any of our big players, but I would be ecstatic if we moved Gomez to get Sundin. I don't expect it to happen, as I think its pretty unlikely, but I would love to see it. Sundin is better than Gomez, even at this age, and if we can get him for another year after this year, and then he leaves, as does Naslund, that gives us nice cap space to pursue a better player than Gomez.
We can't continue with Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rozsival all on this team. Our four highest-paid skaters are all vastly, vastly overpaid and overrated. The team is constructed to succeed in the regular season. Against good teams in long series, this team will crumble due to its inability to score.
Gomez isn't and shouldn't go anywhere. He's put up points with slightly above average skaters. He IS a 1st line center. Heck he got 70 points last yr with the linemates he has. And while I want Sundin, i wouldn't give up gomez who is young for him.

Get rid of Roszival and Sundin is a done deal. Roszival has been average this season.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

Redden (see Drury above)
Prucha
Rissmiller
Dawes
Kalinen

Can't players waive their no trade clauses? And say someone wanted Drury but didn't want to take on that contract. Couldn't we make a deal where we pay a certain % of it?

Old
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Melrose_Jr.

This topic has beaten to death already here thanks to fake "media sources". No way is the discussion being restarted. Read the "everything Mats Sundin" thread, there's at least 200 trade proposals in there, comment as necessary.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=542780

Closed Thread