HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Brodeur Out 3-4 Months

Old
11-05-2008, 11:22 AM
decadentia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
now I'll finally get to see if Brodeur was more a product of the devils system then his own abilities. Putting any competent goalie behind that defense for years and years, you'd probably see comparable numbers. Putting him on any other team he'd be mediocre at best.
That ranks up among the most ignorant posts i've ever read on these forums.

You don't get yourself up to being the best at anything while being mediocre, even with a great defense ( you may actually want to checkout their defense the past few years by the way ).

I hate Jersey, naturally, but i'm also a fan of hockey and can spot that Brodeur is incredibly talented.

I really wish I hadn't responded actually, your post is either completely ignorant of the last 15 years or you are a troll.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:34 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I think that idea that Brodeur is the product of the NJ system is retarded. The guy is gonna break records, and is one of the best ever. The Devils are a weaker team without him.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:48 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

He could've said something like, "Putting him on any other team he wouldn't be quite as great as he is", and we coulda been like..."ok guy, we see where you're coming from with that argument"

But instead, he had to say, "Putting him on any other team he'd be mediocre at best", and make a complete ass of himself.

I've read some posts of kicksave's in the past analyzing the play of Biron and Niitty, and figured he kinda knew what he was talking about as he mentioned how he is/was a goalie himself. But umm, yeah...that whole credibility thing is pretty much out the window now.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
A devils fan threw it.
no he didnt, all the flyer fans pointed to the guy with the devils jersey. one of your fellow flyer fan posters claims the guy who threw it was bragging about it to him an told us it was 2 flyer fans

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:52 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Why does anyone still care about the smokebomb? Yeah it was two *******s... case closed.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 01:15 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
That ranks up among the most ignorant posts i've ever read on these forums.

You don't get yourself up to being the best at anything while being mediocre, even with a great defense ( you may actually want to checkout their defense the past few years by the way ).

I hate Jersey, naturally, but i'm also a fan of hockey and can spot that Brodeur is incredibly talented.

I really wish I hadn't responded actually, your post is either completely ignorant of the last 15 years or you are a troll.
After watching brodeur for the last 15 years, I happen to know that his style of play doesn't lend itself to be in a good position to handle rebound opportunities. The players who will be in position to score on rebounds are often not a Dman's responsibility, but one of the forwards. Which is where the devils coverage and team defense comes into play. You don't need big names or even great players to play good team defense. You just need defensively responsible forwards, which NJ tends to do a good job of finding, and dmen who know the system and play positionally very well. 2nd and 3rd opportunities have a much great chance to go in, and these are limited by good team defense. If defensive play by forwards didn't matter, then Homer wouldn't have ripped his wingers in the media the last 2 days.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
After watching brodeur for the last 15 years, I happen to know that his style of play doesn't lend itself to be in a good position to handle rebound opportunities. The players who will be in position to score on rebounds are often not a Dman's responsibility, but one of the forwards. Which is where the devils coverage and team defense comes into play. You don't need big names or even great players to play good team defense. You just need defensively responsible forwards, which NJ tends to do a good job of finding, and dmen who know the system and play positionally very well. 2nd and 3rd opportunities have a much great chance to go in, and these are limited by good team defense. If defensive play by forwards didn't matter, then Homer wouldn't have ripped his wingers in the media the last 2 days.
its not 1995, there are like 5 teams that play a much tighter system than nj, yet their goalies deserve all the credit. i doubt you watched brodeur the last 15 years because you wouldnt make a post like your last 2.

you are saying he is vulnerable to rebounds? the reason he has been so successful is because of his ability to control rebounds. rarley do you see him giving up a big fat rebound to the slot, he either absorbs the shot enough to cover or control it or deflects it to the corner, so your claim is very inaccurate and a huge reach for why he has been so good

Old
11-05-2008, 02:46 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Ok so we will be at the worst 4th out of 5 in our division.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
You are pretending to know what you're talking about, but you really don't.

You are stating the obvious advantages to good defensive team play, and then using that as some sort of reason for Brodeur's success over such a long period of time.

Yes, New Jersey plays a very sound defensive system. Yes, Brodeur has benefited from that defensive philosophy. I won't even argue with you if you think that he is not the greatest goalie of all time, as that's a fair opinion. But to utter gibberish such as Biron would put up better numbers than Broduer in NJ's system makes you look like a fool. Seriously.

You don't last as long, nor put up the kind of production as Brodeur by being a "product of the system". You do it by being one of the better goaltenders or your generation. Brodeur is most certainly that.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

To say that brodeur was anything other than a fantastic goaltender is crazy. Yes it helps that he has a good defense. But so do a hell of a lot of other teams. Yet their keepers don't break Roy's record.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
OHhhhhhhhhh you got me, thats a good one, im sorry me not celebrating injuries on athletes upsets you so much to make a joke (a bad one) to try and defend some arrogant "fan". you are the kind of "fan" that the embarrassed flyer fans had to apologize for when that moron threw the smokebomb on the ice, the one that gives philly its bad reputation

and btw, you just insulted all your fellow flyer fans that posted then too
I threw the smokebomb

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:35 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I threw the smokebomb

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I threw the smokebomb
I am Spartacus!

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:13 PM

Forgive me if i don't get excited about this. We make back-ups look like the second coming of Roy.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Forgive me if i don't get excited about this. We make back-ups look like the second coming of Roy.
But Valiquette is the second coming of Roy.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
But Valiquette is the second coming of Roy.
more like the second coming of Chris Terreri

that guy owned the Flyers

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:19 PM
BerubeBox*

I quoted this just so we could all look at it again. And be proud of being Flyer fans.

I highlighted a few of my favorite parts
Quote:
OHhhhhhhhhh you got me, thats a good one, im sorry me not celebrating injuries on athletes upsets you so much to make a joke (a bad one) to try and defend some arrogant "fan". you are the kind of "fan" that the embarrassed flyer fans had to apologize for when that moron threw the smokebomb on the ice, the one that gives philly its bad reputation

and btw, you just insulted all your fellow flyer fans that posted then too
Just sit back and enjoy.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
I quoted this just so we could all look at it again. And be proud of being Flyer fans.

I highlighted a few of my favorite parts

Just sit back and enjoy.
i dont get it

Old
11-06-2008, 04:58 AM
decadentia

Quote:
No one ever said defensive play by forwards doesn't matter. In fact this is simply something that sprouted from your conjecture.

There are many goalies who are "good" who benefit from their system's style.

Leclaire in Columbus
Backstrom in Minnesota
Roloson back in Minnesota
Osgood/Legace in Detroit
Belfour in Dallas

Now there's one goalie in here that stands out, and he doesn't fit the mold of the others. Can you guess which one?

A good goalie in a great system is rarely regarded beyond anything than a good goalie. You won't see those goalies pulling at the records above them.

This time I am giving up, I just realized that i'm trying to prove to someone that arguably one of/the best goalie(s) in the league is more than mediocre and a product of his system.

Old
11-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
i dont get it
Yo gunnar, go back to the mighty Ducks, that movie is about as real as Devils fans so the name is pretty accurate.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
No one ever said defensive play by forwards doesn't matter. In fact this is simply something that sprouted from your conjecture.

There are many goalies who are "good" who benefit from their system's style.

Leclaire in Columbus
Backstrom in Minnesota
Roloson back in Minnesota
Osgood/Legace in Detroit

Belfour in Dallas

Now there's one goalie in here that stands out, and he doesn't fit the mold of the others. Can you guess which one?

A good goalie in a great system is rarely regarded beyond anything than a good goalie. You won't see those goalies pulling at the records above them.

This time I am giving up, I just realized that i'm trying to prove to someone that arguably one of/the best goalie(s) in the league is more than mediocre and a product of his system.
Excellent point!

Biron in Philly?

Seriously though. People are very able to look through the numbers and see how the goalie plays in the games and if everyone cant see that Brodeur shuts the door in the 3rd period with a 1 goal lead then you are simply blind. Luongo plays for trash teams and never puts up great numbers but is regarded as a top 3 goalie in the league. Like I said people are able to see passed just the number and see what a truely great goalie is.

Old
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Yo gunnar, go back to the mighty Ducks, that movie is about as real as Devils fans so the name is pretty accurate.
What does that even mean?

Any case, nice to read posts that praise Marty here.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
What does that even mean?

Any case, nice to read posts that praise Marty here.
i dont even know, some of these philly fans try and act like chest bumping tough guys....and they make awful jokes

i think im starting to like the pens fans more than the flyer fans, i cant believe im actually saying that, but atleast they arent arrogant

Old
11-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
i dont even know, some of these philly fans try and act like chest bumping tough guys....and they make awful jokes

i think im starting to like the pens fans more than the flyer fans, i cant believe im actually saying that, but atleast they arent arrogant
Theres something very funny about Devils fans arguing with myself.

Old
11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
decadentia

Quote:

Everyone be cool