HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11/4 New York Islanders @ New York Rangers "Election Day!" 7 PM MSG

Old
11-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Bury Your Head

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
our pp did score 2 goals tho. for the wrong team.
Clever.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:27 AM
303Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
I think Colton Orr could have hit that one in the net. Maybe he would not have been on the ice in that situation, but the vast majority of NHL players could knock a puck like that in the net. It was nothing special. Just a lucky bounce. That puck could have just as easily shot in a different direction.
Sure Mo.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Ahh gotta love shorties. And especially 2 of 'em!

jeezez christ...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
In the Rangers defense, they had plenty of scoring chances that were robbed by MacDonald. They outplayed the Isles for the whole game (absolutely dominated the second period).
MacDonald was good, but except for the Rozsival slapshot that got through the Drury screen, almost none of them were good quality scoring chances.

Then you've got the missed shots and attempts just ripped into the path of someone telegraphing a block. At one point in the 2nd, there were 19 missed shots and 21 blocks. Never saw those counts again, but safe to assume the continued to climb.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these nobody goaltenders are giving the Rangers fits. I can't say if it's shot selection, strategy, personnel, or whatever, but the quantity of chances being generated is masking the lack of quality of the chances, ES or on the PP.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:37 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence that these nobody goaltenders are giving the Rangers fits. I can't say if it's shot selection, strategy, personnel, or whatever, but the quantity of chances being generated is masking the lack of quality of the chances, ES or on the PP.
I do agree with you for the most part. A lot of the shots the Rangers takes are easily handled, most of them coming up on the rush and just shooting from the boards.

But when we do have a nice chance, it is usually turned away (Drury had quite a lot of nice chances throughout the season, but they just didn't connect).

I guess it is no coincidence that the Rangers make the opposing goalies, be it elite or AHL goalies look like brick walls. We are built down the middle, but we don't have much support for them besides for Naslund and Zherdev for the most part.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Shake and Bake

This is getting ridiculous...Rozsival needs to get off the pp. I think Pern has got to go...when you have different personnel over the last three years and the same terrible power play, the coach plays a part in it. The system sucks. This team NEEDS Sundin. Get the deal done Sather...move Captain Cash to a wing. We need another goal scorer

Where is Captain Clutch when you need him? I have seen a Captain Cash all year, but no captain clutch. 7 million dollar a$$

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:55 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Drury doesn't need to score, he has great leadership abilities!

Anyways, on a serious note, I'm still pretty pissed about this game. 2 shorties... I still can't believe that.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by KotsyJr View Post
Drury doesn't need to score, he has great leadership abilities!

Anyways, on a serious note, I'm still pretty pissed about this game. 2 shorties... I still can't believe that.
yeah it was pretty terrible. next game they really need to show us something.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Fletch

when you're not getting in front of the goalie and getting to the loose pucks around the net, you limit your quality chances. Defenses are tightening up and the Rangers haven't been beating everyone to the loose pucks like they were doing to begin the season. It's about working harder and smarter in the offensive zone, and stopping with some of the silly turnovers.

I agree 100% with MJ, and was going to say the same thing about Macdonald. He did scramble around a few times, but there weren't shots on goal when he was scrambling, there was skating, blocked shots and missed shots. What may be missing is some handy dandy boardwork. Defensemen who keep it simple and just play the puck along the boards and the Rangers try to win the battles.

I don't know. While this team's record is still far better than I had imagined, the last 10 games have left a bit to be desired overall and there are problems that need fixing and erase the big jump they have on the rest of the division.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:37 AM
ThirdEye

You know, while I didn't expect our offense to be anything special, I did expect the power play to be greatly improved this season. The fact that it's even worse simply blows my mind. The guys either look way too comfortable and apathetic, or when the other team pressures them they look like they have zero confidence and get anything going at all.

A truly good team would not have lost to Toronto and the Islanders back to back. We basically sent a message to the league with these losses, and it's that we have trouble beating inferior teams, our PP is anemic, and the team overall is mostly all bark and no bite.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:40 AM
segmentation fault

You know, just shooting the puck isnt exactly the answer...Getting a clear shot first might be nice, in which all I have to say is "MOVE." They just sit there on the PP passing the puck back and forth while the 4 defenders sit in the middle. Someone needs to try something different.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to 385
There's a lot of talk about how you guys "blew it on the PP." Yeah, even our own announcers were commenting that the Rangers try and do to much with the man advantage, but the Islanders ARE currently leading the league in shorties. I can hardly believe it myself, but we just seem to excel in that area. At least for the time being anyway. And in the long run, you guys can always look at the standings and feel better. Looking forward to the next four games.

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
There's a lot of talk about how you guys "blew it on the PP." Yeah, even our own announcers were commenting that the Rangers try and do to much with the man advantage, but the Islanders ARE currently leading the league in shorties. I can hardly believe it myself, but we just seem to excel in that area. At least for the time being anyway. And in the long run, you guys can always look at the standings and feel better. Looking forward to the next four games.
Playing against our PP certainly helps. Half of your shorties (3) have come in your two games against us.

It's like last season, when the atlantic division had great stats in PK and awful stats in PP. What came first, the hen or the egg? All teams had good PK units and struggled badly on the PP.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Playing against our PP certainly helps. Half of your shorties (3) have come in your two games against us.

It's like last season, when the atlantic division had great stats in PK and awful stats in PP. What came first, the hen or the egg? All teams had good PK units and struggled badly on the PP.
Why do you have to take that away from us. IT'S ALL WE HAVE!

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Rangerfan4life90

If I had a choice between getting 10 PP chances or 10 PK chances i'd easily take the latter. That's how patheic this PP unit is.

The refs screwed us again, they know were horrible on the PP so they gave the isles a chance to score on it...BINGO!

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 385 View Post
Why do you have to take that away from us. IT'S ALL WE HAVE!
Yes, throw us a friggin bone here people!

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
McDonald stole a game for the Isles plain and simple. He kept the Isles in the game till the 3rd when they tightened up defensively and scored 2 shorthanders. Great shot by Park and nice hand eye coordination by Thompson to net his 1st NHL goal.
Probably the most intelligent post in this thread.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:11 PM
MikeT98213

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
Why did the Isles get lucky because their goalie stole a game for them when they were out played? How many time has Lundquist stolen games for the Rangers?
I'm sure you didn't say the Rangers were lucky on those wins. Take the loss and call it a night.
Good point. The Isles were outplayed, no question about it but goaltenders "steal" games every night in the NHL and their names are not always Lundquist, Brodeur and Luongo.

I've seen Steven Valiquette steal some games for the Rangers and never considered the Rangers to have been "lucky" on those occasions.

MikeT98213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
If I had a choice between getting 10 PP chances or 10 PK chances i'd easily take the latter. That's how patheic this PP unit is.

The refs screwed us again, they know were horrible on the PP so they gave the isles a chance to score on it...BINGO!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Fletch

rangerfan..

and to top it off, they know the Islanders are good at those shorties.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote