HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Sundin / trade Lang

View Poll Results: Would you trade Lang to sign Sundin?
Yes 72 38.50%
No 115 61.50%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-05-2008, 08:46 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
No. Save the chemistry!
Enough said....close thread

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Nedved

im turning into a huge lang fan. i love the way he plays the game.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:47 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
In the end....who's the best hockey player? Even Sundin at 75% is better and more useful. The chemistry factor is overplayed here. Wellwood is a fat pig who thinks that hockey is not important enough to be in shape.....he has 6 goals already. And who says that Sundin wouldn't have a good chemistry with the rest of the team? He took the time he needed to be sure to know what he wanted to do. Would you all have preferred to see him sign here sooner but still unsure of his desire to play hockey.

If the guy comes back AND REALLY want to win a Cup.....why wouldn't we want him?

Just imagine a 3rd line with Lats and SKost with him centering them....much more appealing than with Lang.

Thing is....who wants Lang with that salary?
It's done in BG's book. That why this team is good.

Old
11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I'd rather Gainey sign Sundin and then one day later trade him for a top-4 defenceman

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
In the end....who's the best hockey player?
Sundin

Quote:
Thing is....who wants Lang with that salary?
Gainey gave what? A second? A team with a few injuries at center might be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccrecords View Post
In all seriousness, how can you say no to Sundin. These are professional athletes, they are paid to play hockey and they will get over it.
And men, which mean they don't have feelings

But I agree with you, like I've heard many times before, it's part of the business. And Lang wouldn't be here, so who cares if he's unhappy...

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I'd rather Gainey sign Sundin and then one day later trade him for a top-4 defenceman
Would he waive it for an not play off team? If so, I all for it cause we could maybe squeeze a top first rounder

Old
11-05-2008, 09:30 AM
brownman*

It'll obviously never happen but you're all insane for wanting Robert Lang over Mats Sundin.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Cupmonger

Fed up of hearing bout Sundin. Sure he's an elite player, but personnaly I don't think he really wants to play deep down.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
It's not a question of Lang being better than Sundin. It may be a question of who's the better fit for the Habs. Lang knows his role on this team and seems satisfied with it. I don't think Sundin would be satisfied with the same (diminished) role. If he expects more and is given more, that means more has to be taken away from Koivu and/or Plekanec. Does that necessarily put us ahead. I don't know. I would say not really.

In the summer I was excited about getting Sundin and thought it would give us one of the top centremen trio in the league. Now, I'm beginning to think Sundin's refusal was the best thing to happen. We went to our plan B and maybe Plan B was the better fit for our team. Lang provides complimentary offence and spells Koivu on the PK. He's also a winner and a veteran. He's also very cheap when compared to Sundin. This could be an issue come the deadline when we may need a 4th d-man.
Well, Lang has been dragging his feet for quite some time now. He missed some nice chances on PP, a few open nets, but other than that not much has happened.
Dany Dubé made a great point yesterday, he said when you're a youngster like S.Kost and you play aside a veteran such as Lang, and you see him drag his feet a little, you tend to follow. This could explain a little bit why S.Kost has slowed down a bit.

Now who's better for S.Kost and Lats?..Sundin or Lang?..

Also, the ice time is split pretty evenly. if Sundin decided to play here, he'd be very much aware of the depth in the team and I doubt he'd expect to suddenly play 20min a game.
If Sundin's line would happen to be our most productive line, then they'd get more ice time. It's quite simple.

And on a last note, Lang is not very cheap compared to Sundin. Mats although more expensive, would bring a lot more in terms of production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I thought about this the other day. Acquiring Sundin means you're essentially loading up the front to compensate for an apparent defensive hole. Sundin in the line-up puts us over the top offensively easily rivaling Detroit's group.

However, you can keep Lang, whose already finding his niche, and look for a solid top 4 d-man that makes you a complete, evenly balanced team.

I'll stick with the general consensus of the team's needs and that's the second option. Sundin would have been a mean acquisition but that ships sailed. If we can acquire Ohlund or Bouwmeester, Sundin not signing would have probably been a blessing in disguise.
That's so not true.
First of all, your apparent defensive hole is not so apparent. I think it's greatly over-exaggerated here on HF.
Second, when Detroit signed Hossa, was it to compensate their defensive whole?

Good thing about Sundin is he doesn't cost you anything.
Find me a cheap Solid top4 D. You think Ohlund and Bouwmeester are going to cost us O'Byrne and a pick?..Stop dreaming.

Sundin would instantly make our team more dangerous.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-05-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well, Lang has been dragging his feet for quite some time now. He missed some nice chances on PP, a few open nets, but other than that not much has happened.
Dany Dubé made a great point yesterday, he said when you're a youngster like S.Kost and you play aside a veteran such as Lang, and you see him drag his feet a little, you tend to follow. This could explain a little bit why S.Kost has slowed down a bit.

Now who's better for S.Kost and Lats?..Sundin or Lang?..

Also, the ice time is split pretty evenly. if Sundin decided to play here, he'd be very much aware of the depth in the team and I doubt he'd expect to suddenly play 20min a game.
If Sundin's line would happen to be our most productive line, then they'd get more ice time. It's quite simple.

And on a last note, Lang is not very cheap compared to Sundin. Mats although more expensive, would bring a lot more in terms of production.
I don't thik Lang has been dragging his feet, sure he missed a few very good opportunities, but every player has those moments, and you can't expect a player to always sympathize on 100% of opportunities either. Personnally I find that Lang is playing rather fine. I'm positiv he'll be playing extremely well once the team's playing a good full 60 minutes. See your argument quoted is very valid, but if a team is in general not very active, I hardly see how one play can keep up all the time at 100% when everyone else isn'T.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

No way does Lang become the victim if Sundin signs here. Guys like Lapierre, Kostopolous, even Laraque or Latendresse are more likely to be demoted before Lang.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
The reason why I wouldn't do it is that I don't like the message it would send to future FA who might want to sign in Montreal. This way its pretty clear. If you want to sign here, then you do so before the beginning of the season, otherwise the spot might not be there for you.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:06 AM
MrNasty

I don't buy the "chemistry" part of any argument. The Habs have played 1/8 of their entire season and by moving Lang who just arrived is not going to mess with chemistry. Not only that but Lang hasn't had the same linemates for more than a couple games at a time...how does he have chemistry?

Sundin would have 4 1/2 months to find "chemistry" with his new linemates. 29 other teams would gladly trade their 3rd line centre for a 1st line centre regardless of how well he gets along with people in the dressing room.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I'd keep Lang and sign Sundin.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
No way does Lang become the victim if Sundin signs here. Guys like Lapierre, Kostopolous, even Laraque or Latendresse are more likely to be demoted before Lang.
I think that it's more Lang salary and position that Sundin would take. Latendresse as been playing at the same level than Lang and he's a winger at 850K (the bigest discount on the team).

I believe that Sundin plus a fourth defensmen, not a great defensemen, just someone who can move the puck and be relyable defensivly, a guy in the same mould than Georges, would put our team over the top of the league.

And even thought O'Byrne doesn't look like that guy now he might improve during the season, we never know, he's better than we excepcted when we drafted him, he's a late bloomer and have been improving fast since he arrived in Hamilton, maybe he can't do the same in Montreal.

Saying that about O'Byrne is in the case that BG can't get a fourth defensmen for the team, that's a cross your finger strategy when you couldn't fix the problem. And Brisebois could be another cross your fingers strategy, he played well in the last playoff.

Anyway i dont believe that what Lang brings to the team is comparable to what Sundin would bring to the team, i remember when he pushed around Komisarek last year, the way he goes through trafic and shoot the puck from uneasy angles, he's a 6"5 pest and like to get under the skin of the opponent. Anyways Sundin to the Habs have been discussed long enough, ther's nothing new to be said, either you want him or you dont, and i want him.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Ishmael

The decision is made, and I certainly wouldn't trade Lang to sign Sundin. In the off-season, Sundin would have been perfect, but if that transaction were to go down now, it's a cheesy move and the team would suffer overall.

Sundin lost the luxury of setting all of the terms when he waffled this summer, so to come to Mtl now, he'd have to do it on the terms that fit with the rest of the team, including money and role.

I would be very happy to sign him as well, though. 4 awesome lines, or move Plekanec/Lang to the wing. Whatever line is playing the best that night, gets the most ice time.

I'm sure he wouldn't go for it, though, so there's no point thinking about it. The best realistic option is a deadline defenceman, if O'Byrne hasn't pulled it all together yet.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:26 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccrecords View Post
In all seriousness, how can you say no to Sundin. These are professional athletes, they are paid to play hockey and they will get over it. I highly doubt this will even be an issue though, Gainey has too much principle. Now how about dumping Begin and Dandy, sign sundin for 4m (cap??), moving Laps to the wing and dropping Lang to 4th line eh?

Tangs - Sundin - AK27
Higgs - Sak - Lats
SK - Pleks - Kostsr
Laps - Lang - Kosto/laraque

eh??
You cant dump bodies without replacing them.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I think that it's more Lang salary and position that Sundin would take. Latendresse as been playing at the same level than Lang and he's a winger at 850K (the bigest discount on the team).

I believe that Sundin plus a fourth defensmen, not a great defensemen, just someone who can move the puck and be relyable defensivly, a guy in the same mould than Georges, would put our team over the top of the league.

And even thought O'Byrne doesn't look like that guy now he might improve during the season, we never know, he's better than we excepcted when we drafted him, he's a late bloomer and have been improving fast since he arrived in Hamilton, maybe he can't do the same in Montreal.

Saying that about O'Byrne is in the case that BG can't get a fourth defensmen for the team, that's a cross your finger strategy when you couldn't fix the problem. And Brisebois could be another cross your fingers strategy, he played well in the last playoff.

Anyway i dont believe that what Lang brings to the team is comparable to what Sundin would bring to the team, i remember when he pushed around Komisarek last year, the way he goes through trafic and shoot the puck from uneasy angles, he's a 6"5 pest and like to get under the skin of the opponent. Anyways Sundin to the Habs have been discussed long enough, ther's nothing new to be said, either you want him or you dont, and i want him.

Plekanec, Higgins and Komi called to say hello.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:33 AM
noobman

I say the Canadiens should sign Sundin, and then trade him to Toronto for Luke Schenn or Tomas Kaberle

Edit: if it comes down to signing Sundin and keeping Lang, I'd personally just throw Sundin on the 2nd line wing.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
You cant dump bodies without replacing them.
Yes you can. We don't *need* to carry 14 forwards and 7 defensemen.

Begin and Dandenault can be removed from the team if we add Sundin. Don't mistake this for me saying it should or will happen, but we can drop 2 guys and add 1 without any trouble.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
I don't buy the "chemistry" part of any argument. The Habs have played 1/8 of their entire season and by moving Lang who just arrived is not going to mess with chemistry. Not only that but Lang hasn't had the same linemates for more than a couple games at a time...how does he have chemistry?

Sundin would have 4 1/2 months to find "chemistry" with his new linemates. 29 other teams would gladly trade their 3rd line centre for a 1st line centre regardless of how well he gets along with people in the dressing room.
There is a such thing as overall team chemistry though, and whose to say adding sundin to the mix won't **** that up.

Don't think of it from a taking away lang perspective, think of it from an adding sundin perspective. The guy hasn't even played for months and we already have a solid team, we don't need sundin, we don't NEED to get rid of Lang, Lang has proven himself worthy of being a hab, we need another d-man mainly imo.

Adding sundin could mess with the teams chemistry imo, it isn't so much taking lang out of the mix, that would just be a classless move though imo. You pick up a player who comes and plays well, and then you get rid of him to gain a marquee player who might not even be a good fit for the team. Now I know Sundin would probably be a good fit on any team but that doesn't make the move the right move to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Yes you can. We don't *need* to carry 14 forwards and 7 defensemen.

Begin and Dandenault can be removed from the team if we add Sundin. Don't mistake this for me saying it should or will happen, but we can drop 2 guys and add 1 without any trouble.
So in other words you don't feel there would be any problem getting rid of Begin and Dandenault?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-05-2008 at 12:18 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I've heard a lot of the Big Three from the 70's (Savard, Lapointe, Robinson).. Or Anaheim big three of Niedermayer, Pronger and Beauchemin. But Big Four ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'd keep Lang and sign Sundin.
We don't have the cap space to do this, so that's why trading Lang makes more sense. (sending Dandenault/Bégin in the AHL doesn't make sense on a business pov)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnthomas View Post
The reason why I wouldn't do it is that I don't like the message it would send to future FA who might want to sign in Montreal. This way its pretty clear. If you want to sign here, then you do so before the beginning of the season, otherwise the spot might not be there for you.
So you wouldn't sign Gretzy in his prime if he tells you at Christmas that he wants to play for the Habs for 1million?

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Plekanec, Higgins and Komi called to say hello.
They realy called for me? sweet!

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
I've heard a lot of the Big Three from the 70's (Savard, Lapointe, Robinson).. Or Anaheim big three of Niedermayer, Pronger and Beauchemin. But Big Four ??

We don't have the cap space to do this, so that's why trading Lang makes more sense. (sending Dandenault/Bégin in the AHL doesn't make sense on a business pov)

So you wouldn't sign Gretzy in his prime if he tells you at Christmas that he wants to play for the Habs for 1million?
Sundin is no Gretzky

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:00 PM
zzoo

Ship Dandenault to somewhere else. Trade Lang, O'Byrne and a draft choice to Florida to get Jay Bouwmeester. Then sign Sundin for $6M

In: Bouwmeester, Sundin
Out: Dandenault, Lang and O'Byrne.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote