HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Grabovski or Lang ?

View Poll Results: Lang or Grabovski ?
Lang 269 82.01%
Grabovski 59 17.99%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
CanadienErrant*

vCash: 500
Grabovski or Lang ?

Who would be best for our third line: Grabovski or Lang

Grabovki: cheaper, younger, faster - might have been a better fit with S.Kost

Lang: expensive but experienced- RH shot- slower- probably won't be re-signed

The Habs ave very thin in centers pool- Outside Maxwell and Chipchura, I don't see any who can play in the NHL and produce.

Was Gainey patient enough with Grabovski ?

Old
11-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Marksman

Lang because he brings size and good faceoff skills too and didnt sour on the team like Grabovski.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:07 PM
StlRams514

Send a message via MSN to StlRams514
How can anybody even say Grabovski? I supported him the whole time he was a Hab and he got shredded all the time... It seems that now that he's a Leaf people like him... So random

Old
11-05-2008, 12:08 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Was Gainey patient enough with Grabovski ?
More like Grabovski wasn't patient enough with Gainey. He asked to be traded (before we acquired Lang, mind you) and threatened to return to Russia if we didn't move him. At least we got something for him.

At the moment I think Lang suits our needs better. Has lots of experience, is big, right-handed, can play in all situations (kills penalties, which Grabovski does not), good faceoff man (Grabs is at I think 39% on the year or something), and can score.

Grabovski will develop into a good player in his own right but for where we are now, I'm happier with Lang. I don't think Grabovski brings us any closer to a Cup, basically.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Grabovski. He scored twice yesterday. I'll wait till Lang plays and I'll come back to you....I would love to have that poll after Grabovski's 10th game in the season where he was 0g 0a 0p......

Seriously....Grabovski did not have a fair chance with us. But were we in a position to give it to him? The guy is an offensive centerman and now that we have 3 offensive lines, clearly he would've been better than he was before. And clearly, it's just about confidence. O'Byrne is not as bad as we think, he lacks confidence. Same applied to Grabovski.

People seriously underestimate the role of the confidence in a young player.....same applies also to SKost right now....

Old
11-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Ross MacLochness

This is a joke right?

Old
11-05-2008, 12:12 PM
guest1467

Lang is a proven scorer who has experience, a righthanded shot and can play on the PP and PK. He is also isn't a defensive liability. There is no comparison IMO.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Lang easily. We benefit from his experience and size.

I like Grabovski though, he's fun to watch. I'm not the slightest bit angry about moving him to the Leafs. It was a nice move by Bob. He dealt Grabovski who deserved a chance to play and we picked up an asset. Win Win.

I'm not sure Grabovski could handle the defensive work required of a 3rd line palyer, even if it's not a defensive line. Match-up-wise, other teams look to get their top line out there vs. our 3rd, I'd prefer the veteran and larger Lang in those situations.

Also, with Grabovski in we'd be so small down the middle. Philly's big centres destroyed Plekanec and Koivu (to a lesser extent) in the play-offs.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRams514 View Post
How can anybody even say Grabovski? I supported him the whole time he was a Hab and he got shredded all the time... It seems that now that he's a Leaf people like him... So random
isn't he getting destroyed in the Polls?..

Grabovski was rumored to have some type of beef with the Kost Broz.
Out of principles as well, you can't expect to keep a youngster on your team if he decided to skip on the plane ride back. That's just a No-no.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
24 And Counting*

Lang 'cause he doesn't fall twice every shift he takes.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:15 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24 And Counting View Post
Lang 'cause he doesn't fall twice every shift he takes.
That's easy to do when you don't move your feet

(I don't actually think this but I couldn't pass up the opportunity )

Old
11-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Grabovki: cheaper, younger, faster - might have been a better fit with S.Kost
Weren't there rumors of feuding between Grabs and the Kost brothers?

Size, PK time and RH shot are big factors for me chosing Lang. Grabovski still gets pushed off the puck very easily, though admittedly he is looking very good on that line with Hagman and Kulemin. He's expected to produce in Toronto and he stepped up last night. You knew he had the talent to play in this league, so it was only a matter of finding chemistry with that line.

That said, Lang is no slouch either, he's got 6 points in 10 games so far. He's shown none of the lazy play we were warned against (although he took two stupid penalties against MIN) he's hustled on the backcheck and defensively he's been solid. Lang is the best option we've had on the 3rd line in over 10 years.

Lang's sub-par 46.5% in faceoff circle is still better than what Grabs can do in that department.

(Also, I'm shocked this kind of thread pops up after Grabovski has a 3 point night. I never expected this...)

Old
11-05-2008, 12:17 PM
number 11

are we going to do this every time an ex-hab gets a point?

Old
11-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Grabovski. He scored twice yesterday. I'll wait till Lang plays and I'll come back to you....I would love to have that poll after Grabovski's 10th game in the season where he was 0g 0a 0p......

Seriously....Grabovski did not have a fair chance with us. But were we in a position to give it to him? The guy is an offensive centerman and now that we have 3 offensive lines, clearly he would've been better than he was before. And clearly, it's just about confidence. O'Byrne is not as bad as we think, he lacks confidence. Same applied to Grabovski.

People seriously underestimate the role of the confidence in a young player.....same applies also to SKost right now....
I don't think S.Kost lacks confidence. I think he looks toward the veteran on his line and sees somebody that is slow, not too intense. Youngsters usually follow the wave.

S.Kost played 1 shift with his bro vs the Islanders and he was skating hard, you saw he was pumped.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Weren't there rumors of feuding between Grabs and the Kost brothers?
But that's the thing....they're rumors. The same type of rumors we hate and don't believe when they're towards our favorite players but the rumors we love to believe when it's towards the ones we don't or especially left the team and are doing better elsewhere.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
You must be new to the Habs board.

I'm happy with the way Lang has played with us so far.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Judge Sauer*

Lang without a doubt, his veteran presence will help come playoff time as well.
Lang is nowhere near the liability that everyone else painted when he was first traded to the Habs. Loving the fact that both Lang and Tanguay are playing so much better for the Habs in comparison to their previous teams instead fo a player going somewhere else and rocking it.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Beakermania*

Lang fits our needs so much better... a top three of Koivu, Pleks, Grabovski is just too small.

Lets not forget the number of minutes Grabs is getting in TO when we look at his points... and the number of PP minutes he is getting. Over 20 minutes last night... he wouldn't come close to that with us.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I prefer Lang for a few reasons: he is bigger, he is right handed (something we lack sorely), he is much better at faceoffs (I wouldn't be surprised if Grabovski is dead last in the league), Lang is a better defensive player (pretty good PKer and ES defense zone coverage). I don't see what Grabovski could possibly bring to a team that is 8-1-1 and scores a ton of goals that Lang can't deliver.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Iwishihadacup

Grabovski Bandwagon: Full

:teaaaaaatch:

(seriously lang >>>Grabovski)

Old
11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Depends. Lang brings certain qualities a team like Montreal is looking for in going on a Cup run. Two things of significance in this comparison would be:

1) Face-off ability- In playoff hockey this is critical. Grabovski is terrible in this aspect of the game, Lang is great at it.

2) Experience- Obviously a huge factor in any playoff run. Lang is more experienced than Grabovski, but he's not the type of leader that will get the team going a la Mark Messier.

In the long term though, you have to say Grabovski. For reasons:

1) The Cap World- He's cheap, and won't be a UFA for a significant amount of time. He'll be on your team much longer than Lang.
2) He's on an upward learning curve: Last season he didn't fit well with Montreal, but now in a new environment he's leading all NHL rookies with goals with 5.

As far as on the defensive end, I don't think Lang is as wonderful as Hab fans like to think. At the same time he isn't a liability. For those of you who say Grabovski is a defensive liability, watch him play. He's been actually pretty good for the Maple Leafs. Under a Ron Wilson coached team, Grabovski isn't getting this much icetime if he's playing poor defensively.

So, for the short term for Montreal who is going for a cup now, Robert Lang is obviously the better choice. Over the longterm though, Grabovski is easily the better choice. It's a near certainty that 3 or 4 years down the road hab fans will be thinking Gainey is crazy for trading Grabovski for such a small return.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
It's a near certainty that 3 or 4 years down the road hab fans will be thinking Gainey is crazy for trading Grabovski for such a small return.
Depending on the Pateryn's progression.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

fully agree with this post

Grabs needed time to get strength, thing is Canadiens wanted to go for it this year and not next year. Had he an extra year we would have kept him and he would have been really good for us

Old
11-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
Hi, hi, as soon as I saw in the highlights that Grabovski had 2 goals last night, I thought a thread was a foregone conclusion.

You can set your watch by this kind of stuff.

Old
11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think S.Kost lacks confidence. I think he looks toward the veteran on his line and sees somebody that is slow, not too intense. Youngsters usually follow the wave.

S.Kost played 1 shift with his bro vs the Islanders and he was skating hard, you saw he was pumped.
switch A. Kost and Lats and that should fix the Kost bros. and Lang up even

Closed Thread