[SWE] Patrik Nilson

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

vCash: 500
[SWE] Patrik Nilson

Yeah so he got signed to Calgary the other day and while it sounds impressive it probably means that he'll get to play in the ECHL or AHL and nothing else. Apparantly the signing by Calgary made someone at SIF annoyed and they want to stop him from playing in the NHL. Well, he won't play in the NHL anyway but I'm sure he must be stopped! What difference does it make if he plays in Laredo or Las Vegas? The ECHL is only marginally better.

The interesting thing is that the SIF say that from their point of view Patrik Nilson hasn't even begun to pay off his suspension since he's been playing hockey all the time and they are thinking about taking measures when he return to sweden. Now morally I agree but I would like to know how they plan to punish him further without getting into legal trouble. After all, in half a year Nilson will have been suspended from swedish and IIHF hockey for 18 months. What he has done in the meantime really doesn't matter. I repeat, I think it is morally wrong but it also shows the cultural differences between european sports and american professional sports. As a further example 100 meter sprinter Duane Chambers, one of the first guys caught with the designer steroid THG (imho a worse crime than taking a dodgy food supplement) is planning to play american football in the NFL and there seems to be no problems at all with that.

What do you guys think, can they (swedish federation) punish him further without the risk of getting sued or should they just let him play? I mean the guy will probably be heckled all around the country for a year or two anyway.

Old
07-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Leo Naphta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
What do you guys think, can they (swedish federation) punish him further without the risk of getting sued or should they just let him play? I mean the guy will probably be heckled all around the country for a year or two anyway.
They probably can't prolong his suspension from a legal point of view, since he hasn't actually broken the suspension in legal terms - the IIHF lacking jurisdiction over the pro-leagues in North America.

Actually, I believe it is possible that Nilson's contract will be deemed invalid by the NHL. He has as far as I know never played junior hockey in North America, which I believe is a prerequisite for undrafted players to be signed to NHL-contracts. If I remember correctly, there was a similar case involving Martin Wilde a few years ago. He had played some years in college and a year in the AHL, when Boston tried to sign him, though the NHL ruled the contract invalid for the above reason.

Old
07-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Naphta
They probably can't prolong his suspension from a legal point of view, since he hasn't actually broken the suspension in legal terms - the IIHF lacking jurisdiction over the pro-leagues in North America.

Actually, I believe it is possible that Nilson's contract will be deemed invalid by the NHL. He has as far as I know never played junior hockey in North America, which I believe is a prerequisite for undrafted players to be signed to NHL-contracts. If I remember correctly, there was a similar case involving Martin Wilde a few years ago. He had played some years in college and a year in the AHL, when Boston tried to sign him, though the NHL ruled the contract invalid for the above reason.
I also believe it is virtually impossible to prolong his suspension. About the Wilde situation, isn't he playing in Providence anyway? Clearly it is not Calgarys intention to let Nilson play in the NHL but to have him in Las Vegas, probably at request from his older brother. I'm not sure if the same rules aply to Nilson, since he has actually played a full year of north american pro hockey, as opposed to Wilde who played in a strictly amateur league. We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess, in any case I'm convinced that Nilson will be playing hockey this year and when he chooses to return to Sweden there will be nothing to do about it.

Old
07-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Leo Naphta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
I also believe it is virtually impossible to prolong his suspension. About the Wilde situation, isn't he playing in Providence anyway? Clearly it is not Calgarys intention to let Nilson play in the NHL but to have him in Las Vegas, probably at request from his older brother. I'm not sure if the same rules aply to Nilson, since he has actually played a full year of north american pro hockey, as opposed to Wilde who played in a strictly amateur league. We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess, in any case I'm convinced that Nilson will be playing hockey this year and when he chooses to return to Sweden there will be nothing to do about it.
Yeah, Wilde is (or was last season) playing in the AHL, but I believe that technically he isn't signed by Boston to a 2-way contract and then assigned to Providence. He is signed directly by Providence, so he can't even theoretically be brought up to Boston. Nilson on the other hand can in theory be brought up to Calgary - but as you say, the actual chances of that happening are not big.

I don't think it is relevant whether or not they had played a year pro-hockey before, but in any case Wilde had done that in the AHL, when Boston tried to sign him.

Anyway, Nilson will as you say surely play hockey next year. If the NHL rule the contract invalid, Calgary will only have one of their affiliates sign him. Which should make no practical difference at all, since he would have no chance of cracking Calgary's lineup in the first place.

Old
07-08-2004, 01:35 AM
DJ Spinoza

Just kind of browsing around here late at night and this caught my eye. I know there's a background here, and I think I remember reading something about this a few months ago, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, can someone fill me in on the history of this situation? Just curious about it, you can PM me if you don't want this post to get off topic.

Old
07-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Just kind of browsing around here late at night and this caught my eye. I know there's a background here, and I think I remember reading something about this a few months ago, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, can someone fill me in on the history of this situation? Just curious about it, you can PM me if you don't want this post to get off topic.
Patrik Nilson bought nutritional supplements over the counter in Florida when he paid a visit to his brother Marcus. The problem was that it developed the steroid nandrolon in his body. Patrik was tested, along with everybody else on the team, last summer after he had signed a contract with Djurgården. He was suspended from all leagues sanctioned by the IIHF (18 months) and Djurgården anulled his contract.

There is a gentlemen's agreement between the NHL and the IIHF that stipulates that they respect each others suspensions. Personally I don´t think that the NHL care so much, even if Marty McSorley was rejected by the IIHF. The swedish federation will contact the IIHF anyways in an effort to stop Nilson from playing in the NHL, who knows he might...

Both Marcus and Patrik played for Djurgården before they departed to North America, as well as Tommy Albelin.

Picture of Patrik in tears at the press conference with the banned substance on the table.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/...335320,00.html

Old
07-08-2004, 04:34 PM
DJ Spinoza

Thanks, it'll be interesting to see how this progresses.

Closed Thread