HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabovski or Lang ?

View Poll Results: Lang or Grabovski ?
Lang 269 82.01%
Grabovski 59 17.99%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Nedved

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I'd rather have Grabs if he could get the time he gets now but on our third line. Since that is impossible he probably would not have achieved his skill level with us. So Lang is a better choice. The best choice however is not to give Grabs to the leafs, Gainey could have just given the leafs a legitimate 1st line center that we get to deal with for years.

Good move trading Grabs bad move trading him within the division. One step forward possibly two steps back.
id be blown away if he became a first line center

Old
11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
Same here.

Koivu and Plekanec aren't even viewed as first line centers by most people on here? I think we can all agree Koivu/Plekanec > Grabovski.. Unless he somehow explodes from nowhere to become a point per game stud.

Lang is better suited for our current team, no doubt. Shouldn't have been traded to TO though. Trade West-ward Bob!

Old
11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
kovalost27

Stay in tune for next week's poll:

Ryder or Tanguay?

Old
11-05-2008, 10:30 PM
lxzred

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Stay in tune for next week's poll:

Ryder or Tanguay?
I really did LOL - I vote for tanguay

Old
11-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Grabovski would be no better than a fourth liner on Montreal.... Lang hands down he will end up with 20 plus goals.... Grabovski dont think so (yes I know he has 5 and Lang has only 3)

Old
11-06-2008, 12:06 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanwuc View Post
Yeah I know its a huge stretch but there is good reasons you don't give prospects with potential to your closest competition.

Old
11-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I'd rather have Grabs if he could get the time he gets now but on our third line. Since that is impossible he probably would not have achieved his skill level with us. So Lang is a better choice. The best choice however is not to give Grabs to the leafs, Gainey could have just given the leafs a legitimate 1st line center that we get to deal with for years.

Good move trading Grabs bad move trading him within the division. One step forward possibly two steps back.
Grabs will never be a legit first line centre IMO. He'll be the leafs version of Oleg Petrov. Sure he'll get points and he'll get minutes on a losing team (someone has to score for them)... but if you are a team that has to give a lot of minutes to a guy like Grabs, you will never be good enough to be a true contender. True contenders don't have room in their top 6 for a guy like Grabovski; and he's useless in a non-offensive role.

Quote:
Yeah I know its a huge stretch but there is good reasons you don't give prospects with potential to your closest competition.
We didn't give him away to them... they gave us very good value back....

I doubt anyone else in the league was offering a second rounder for him + another prospect.... and the leafs second rounder this year will be a very high second rounder.

So do you trade him out west for a 4th rounder cause you don't want to deal him to the Leafs??? Well then now you are giving up other assets cause that 4th rounder isn't getting you Lang.

Old
11-06-2008, 01:01 AM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

grabs is too small, think playoffs, and would have never had a chance to develop with us (not to mention he had a bad attitude)

it was the right move on both sides, I think he'll be very good for the Leafs eventually if he can stay on his feet

Old
11-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Rayne*

Lang has shown he belongs here. Grabovski was hit or miss.

Old
11-06-2008, 01:28 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We didn't give him away to them... they gave us very good value back....

I doubt anyone else in the league was offering a second rounder for him + another prospect.... and the leafs second rounder this year will be a very high second rounder.

So do you trade him out west for a 4th rounder cause you don't want to deal him to the Leafs??? Well then now you are giving up other assets cause that 4th rounder isn't getting you Lang.
A pick that may end up late if the leafs make the playoffs which they easily could. Their team is playing very aggressive style of hockey and they don't seem to quit like they used to. What we got will not help us for many years if ever, leafs however got a great prospect with a high upside that goes immediatly into their lines. No risk high reward for T.O. which is already paying off in dividends.

You don't know what the habs could have gotten for grabs from the west so it's all speculation. Just like I can say "I am sure we could have gotten a 2nd from one of the other 25 teams outside of our division". Hell even a package deal could have been done to avoid handing him to the leafs. Trading a speedy offensive threat like Grabo to someone you play 6 times a year is dumb.

Old
11-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
A pick that may end up late if the leafs make the playoffs which they easily could. Their team is playing very aggressive style of hockey and they don't seem to quit like they used to. What we got will not help us for many years if ever, leafs however got a great prospect with a high upside that goes immediatly into their lines. No risk high reward for T.O. which is already paying off in dividends.

You don't know what the habs could have gotten for grabs from the west so it's all speculation. Just like I can say "I am sure we could have gotten a 2nd from one of the other 25 teams outside of our division". Hell even a package deal could have been done to avoid handing him to the leafs. Trading a speedy offensive threat like Grabo to someone you play 6 times a year is dumb.
They constantly fall behind and have to battle back in games.
I give them credit but they will eventually tire and drop back.
the Habs used to be like that too.

Old
11-06-2008, 01:55 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:

1) The actual value of the pick doesn't matter now... only the perceived value of it at the time of the Lang/Grabovski trades.... at the time it looked like it would be a very high second round pick. We were able to trade it to Chicago for Lang. Where it ends up now doesn't matter to me, we no longer own the pick. Regardless I still don't think they make the playoffs... no way they finish higher than 11th in the East IMO. They are a young team, without proven offensive producers and they will slump at some point.

2) No I don't know what the Western teams were offering, but it was obvious that Grabovski was on the trade block for quite some time. Do you honestly believe a GM like Gainey didn't explore the other options out west... do you honestly believe he would turn down a similar offer out west to give him Toronto. Come on man... give your head a shake.

3) If you think Lang is the missing piece for you to go deep in the playoffs, as Gainey obviously believes that the big offensive centre was necessary, well then you don't worry about what Grabs will do over the next five years. You worry about winning the cup now, and if he burns you a few times in the regular season over the next few years so be it. But i still stand by my Oleg Petrov comparison. As long as Grabovski is in the leafs top 6, they aren't going anywhere...

Old
11-06-2008, 03:16 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Who would be best for our third line: Grabovski or Lang

Grabovki: cheaper, younger, faster - might have been a better fit with S.Kost

Lang: expensive but experienced- RH shot- slower- probably won't be re-signed

The Habs ave very thin in centers pool- Outside Maxwell and Chipchura, I don't see any who can play in the NHL and produce.

Was Gainey patient enough with Grabovski ?

Disappointed by being left out of the lineup in Phoenix last night, Grabovski traveled to Los Angeles alone – ahead of the team flight – to meet Gary Greestin, his agent.

The disgruntled player and Greestin met with Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau and general manager Bob Gainey.

No disciplinary action has been taken against Grabovski – for now. But he will not dress against the Kings today.
http://www.habsinsideout.com/boone/4897
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of story for me . what happens if Toronto "missuses" him(4th line or scratching) will he demand another trade?

the players who wanna be here are here. the one's who dont (the Bulis, Prez, Grabovski's) are gone.

Old
11-06-2008, 05:02 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I would say Lang now, Grabovski in the future. Although at this rate that future could be in a few months.

Old
11-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Iwishihadacup

lol @ 28 persons...Seems like Shorty's bandwagon pretty small

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Grabovski will do more points this year than Lang.

He could not stay with us but he is a bettter player.
Lang 10 games 6 points - 193 votes
Grab 13 Games 7 points - 27 votes.

I don`t understand the results of this poll...
Grabovski= 2nd line time of use, also he is -1
Lang= 3rd line use, played with kostopoulos a few games but is +4

See what I did here?

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-06-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old
11-06-2008, 05:27 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
1) The actual value of the pick doesn't matter now... only the perceived value of it at the time of the Lang/Grabovski trades.... at the time it looked like it would be a very high second round pick. We were able to trade it to Chicago for Lang. Where it ends up now doesn't matter to me, we no longer own the pick. Regardless I still don't think they make the playoffs... no way they finish higher than 11th in the East IMO. They are a young team, without proven offensive producers and they will slump at some point.

2) No I don't know what the Western teams were offering, but it was obvious that Grabovski was on the trade block for quite some time. Do you honestly believe a GM like Gainey didn't explore the other options out west... do you honestly believe he would turn down a similar offer out west to give him Toronto. Come on man... give your head a shake.

3) If you think Lang is the missing piece for you to go deep in the playoffs, as Gainey obviously believes that the big offensive centre was necessary, well then you don't worry about what Grabs will do over the next five years. You worry about winning the cup now, and if he burns you a few times in the regular season over the next few years so be it. But i still stand by my Oleg Petrov comparison. As long as Grabovski is in the leafs top 6, they aren't going anywhere...
Oh yes how could I forget, Gainey has never made a mistake or dumb move. I shall repent before the cheerleaders show up for the usual Rah Rah's. I for one don't remember hearing about Grabs being shopped and unless you find an article to prove that wrong than it's more of the lovely speculation you love to tout as fact.

Patryn isn't anything special and that second could have come from anywhere. Hell even our own second + a low end prospect could have done the trick. The leafs are a team that could make the playoffs on a wing and a prayer. How many times has an 8th place team come into the playoffs hungry and upset the 1st seeded team?

All I am saying is Lang is not worth giving the leafs a vital piece in their rebuild. If you can't see that then you should give your head a shake.

Old
11-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Oh yes how could I forget, Gainey has never made a mistake or dumb move. I shall repent before the cheerleaders show up for the usual Rah Rah's. I for one don't remember hearing about Grabs being shopped and unless you find an article to prove that wrong than it's more of the lovely speculation you love to tout as fact.

Patryn isn't anything special and that second could have come from anywhere. Hell even our own second + a low end prospect could have done the trick. The leafs are a team that could make the playoffs on a wing and a prayer. How many times has an 8th place team come into the playoffs hungry and upset the 1st seeded team?

All I am saying is Lang is not worth giving the leafs a vital piece in their rebuild. If you can't see that then you should give your head a shake.
If grabovski isnt resigned at the end of this season I'll raise you the biggest LOLLFMAO ever

Old
11-06-2008, 05:54 AM
HabsOfSteel

Quote:
You gotta see the big picture; Gainey was just making sure the Leafs don't finish too low in the standing and have a chance to draft Tavares...

Old
11-06-2008, 07:07 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Disappointed by being left out of the lineup in Phoenix last night, Grabovski traveled to Los Angeles alone ahead of the team flight to meet Gary Greestin, his agent.

The disgruntled player and Greestin met with Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau and general manager Bob Gainey.

No disciplinary action has been taken against Grabovski for now. But he will not dress against the Kings today.
http://www.habsinsideout.com/boone/4897
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of story for me . what happens if Toronto "missuses" him(4th line or scratching) will he demand another trade?

the players who wanna be here are here. the one's who dont (the Bulis, Prez, Grabovski's) are gone.
This is the end of the discussion for me. If a player doesn't want to play here, and especially if the rumours are true that he didn't get along with the Kostitsyn brothers, etc, then get him the heck out of here. The dressing room is no place for someone who isn't pulling his weight or is causing problems.

Lang obviously wants to play here, so there is no doubt in my mind we made the right decision.

Old
11-06-2008, 07:21 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
This is the end of the discussion for me. If a player doesn't want to play here, and especially if the rumours are true that he didn't get along with the Kostitsyn brothers, etc, then get him the heck out of here. The dressing room is no place for someone who isn't pulling his weight or is causing problems.

Lang obviously wants to play here, so there is no doubt in my mind we made the right decision.
No player is bigger than the team.

That is why he is no longer here and I could certainly care less what he does elsewhere.

And honestly, there is no way he would of generated the same early success here pivoting the third line instead of Lang. He's getting top minutes of a talent ridden Toronto team; of course he's going to produce!

Old
11-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Lang no doubt about it

Old
11-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Grabovski= 2nd line time of use, also he is -1
Lang= 3rd line use, played with kostopoulos a few games but is +4

See what I did here?
+/- is usually a useless stat, and it is in this instance especially. The Canadiens are cup contenders, the Leafs will be trying to stay out of the basement. +/- is a team stat, not an individual one. You're arguments here holds no water whatsoever.
It's actually commendable for Grabovski to only be -1 on a team which has one of highest GAA in the league.

Old
11-06-2008, 07:40 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Grabovski will do more points this year than Lang.

He could not stay with us but he is a bettter player.
Lang 10 games 6 points - 193 votes
Grab 13 Games 7 points - 27 votes.

I don`t understand the results of this poll...
you are contradicting your self.

Old
11-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Patryn isn't anything special
And you know that Pateryn isn't anything special because???? He's just a 5th rounder? Guess who's just a 5th rounder as well....

But if it's because you've been following him last year and have seen some games this year, well your opinion is just as good as mine or any others for that matter....

Old
11-06-2008, 08:12 AM
terreur

vCash: 50
so, according to your way of thinking, we can't get rid of any prospect... so forget that 4th D man...

Closed Thread