HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu would like to re-sign with Habs

Old
11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Koivu would like to re-sign with Habs

Here 's a report in the Journal LaPresse about Koivu and the Habs .

Koivu says that it would be an honnour to re-sign and to end his career with the Habs , specially for 8 m$ per season

Koivu looooooves Montreal

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...a-montreal.php

The 8M$ per season was just a joke ...

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 11-05-2008 at 09:51 PM.
goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:04 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Can you please put re-sign... the title made it look like he wants to quit playing for the Habs

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:04 PM
mcphee

Has anyone noticed that he carries himself a little differently this year ? He seems a little bit more at ease, more comfortable somehow, and it seems that the people covering the team are more at ease with him. I'm not sure what it is, but things just seem a little bit less intense in the way he speaks and the way he's spoken about.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:08 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Has anyone noticed that he carries himself a little differently this year ? He seems a little bit more at ease, more comfortable somehow, and it seems that the people covering the team are more at ease with him. I'm not sure what it is, but things just seem a little bit less intense in the way he speaks and the way he's spoken about.
last year , he did a french version of " this is my team " .

He doesn't have the Medias againts him anymore .

Old
11-05-2008, 09:08 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Its because he has at least 1 reliable winger (Tanguay), hes not the only passer on his line anymore, he can score, he can be more free to do what he wants in terms of scoring, or passing. His line is producing and its clearly a great feeling. Thats why Koivu is different this year, because he has a kick ass line as long as Tanguay stays on it.

Edit: Just realized i was completely off topic, BUT I STAND BY MY PARAGRAPH!

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:12 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Yeah, I had two of my big burly cousins visit all the members of the Habs-covering media and "say a few words."

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
last year , he did a french version of " this is my team " .

He doesn't have the Medias againts him anymore .
I think that maybe both sides, and it sounds stupid to say both sides, may have realized that there was no reason, or life was too short for animosity. Maybe not, but things seem a bit more relaxed with him.

Old
Next Best Thing*

Sure im all for it, if it isnt too expensive.

Never underestimate what Koivu brings to the table.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:13 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Maybe his 13 points in 10 games and the team's 8-1-1 record have something to do with it.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:14 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Yeah, I had two of my big burly cousins visit all the members of the Habs-covering media and "say a few words."
never under estimate the value of a burly man. Words to live by.

Burly is a funny word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Maybe his 13 points in 10 games and the team's 8-1-1 record have something to do with it.
Probably a bit, but he's going to have highs and lows, maybe knowing rather than hoping that he's on a good team helps.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-05-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Probably a bit, but he's going to have highs and lows, maybe knowing rather than hoping that he's on a good team helps.
Makes sense. Lots of talent on this team so the load can be distributed and the blame can be spread around.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Makes sense. Lots of talent on this team so the load can be distributed and the blame can be spread around.
The first time in over 10 years he came into camp and people were talking Stanley Cup. And knowing before the season that it likely won't take a miraculous unbeaten streak in March for us to scrape into 8th place like always. I don't think he even remembers what that feels like. Remember last year expectations were rock bottom.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

OOOOOOOOOO RE-sign.... not resign. I was like "sooooo since when do player resign from teams"

Koivu re-signing would be amazing. Koivu in any other jersey would look... revolting, worse than Sundin would in a jersey that's not the leafs... (or Habs) So we let Kovalev go, sign Koivu, Tanguay Komisarek, Higgins, Plekanec and Latendresse. and therefore we can sign the Hossarik combo. All of this magically stays under the cap. (would it work (Gainey'll make it work)).

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:54 PM
goalchenyuk

Do you think that Gainey will try to make a deal with his agent during the season , like he did the for his last contract ?

Personaly , i don't think because he needs to sign biggest need to know what kind of money he will have for Koivu .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Can you please put re-sign... the title made it look like he wants to quit playing for the Habs
edited . Sorry , i am a french pea soup

Old
11-05-2008, 10:00 PM
redmachine54

There was a Finnish poster (or maybe he just understood Finnish) who mentioned this earlier in the season, too, and made it clear that money apparently wasn't a factor.

Regardless, I still want him to stay with the club. I know, a lot of Canadiens greats finished their careers with other teams, and I wouldn't put Koivu in the same league as the Lafleurs, Lapointes, and Robinsons (Robinson finished in LA, no?), but damn I'd like him to stay. He didn't have the most fortunate career, and he stuck with the team through some pretty tough years, the most 'offensive' remark being the one he made on not wanting to stay on a rebuilding team.

I'd like him to finish his career here. Honestly, if he signed for a discount a la Alfredsson (not the same salary as Alfie, but a discount similar, since Alfredsson's worth a lot more than what he's getting), it'd be great.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Mother Pucker

Koivu will stay...and I think he'll even be willing to take a small paycut if he has too. I sure hope he does stay; now that he finally has a real player on his line, he'll produce like hell and people will finally appreciate him for his real value.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachine54 View Post
There was a Finnish poster (or maybe he just understood Finnish) who mentioned this earlier in the season, too, and made it clear that money apparently wasn't a factor.

Regardless, I still want him to stay with the club. I know, a lot of Canadiens greats finished their careers with other teams, and I wouldn't put Koivu in the same league as the Lafleurs, Lapointes, and Robinsons (Robinson finished in LA, no?), but damn I'd like him to stay. He didn't have the most fortunate career, and he stuck with the team through some pretty tough years, the most 'offensive' remark being the one he made on not wanting to stay on a rebuilding team.

I'd like him to finish his career here. Honestly, if he signed for a discount a la Alfredsson (not the same salary as Alfie, but a discount similar, since Alfredsson's worth a lot more than what he's getting), it'd be great.

Meh, if I was Finnish I would probably try to spin the same wheel, meaning have a soft spot for Koivu too. What was most shocking to me was his pre-game interview before the Minnesota game, the question was about his brother, and being on the same team.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachine54 View Post

Most of the time , the problem to re-sign players of Koivu's age , is the fact that they want a multi-years contract .

Gainey has to deal with the cap space , so once the players start to produce , he needs money to pay them . One of the source of money is to bring on 1-2 young players each season , because they just cost the minimum salary .

By now , Gainey already know that at one point , he will need to bring Chipchura , Maxwell , Trotter or Desharnais per exemple , just to save $$$ to pay the bigger salaries . I don't say that they all are going to make the team , but 2 would be great .

For how much season Gainey could re-sign Koivu ? not really more than 1-2 season , until one of these center could bring equal or more than Koivu ( i am taking her about the Koivu of 37 years old , not the one of the previous season )

Old
11-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Corey

Koivu has turned Latendresse into a veritable goal-scoring machine this season. Well, maybe later. But what happens to Lats if Koivu is injured?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Clumsyhab

15M/4years (5+5+3+2) deal is my bet!

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:14 PM
LyleOdelein

I think that Koivu has stopped sweating the small stuff the last little while. I think that easing up a little has him actually revelling in being a player and captain of the Canadiens, rather than letting the pressure get to him. It's also clear to see that he is enjoying playing on such a great team, in such a passionate environment.

Last but not least, I think that the last couple years he's really starting to get a true appreciation of the history of this club. He's been front row center for a lot of the ceremonies honouring the greats of the Habs' past. There seemed to be something really special to him when he was commenting about passing Richard's assist total, and I think that he wants to continue to put his stamp on this franchise until he hangs them up.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:23 PM
eddy

Good to hear, hope he retires a Hab.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:24 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Koivu has turned Latendresse into a veritable goal-scoring machine this season. Well, maybe later. But what happens to Lats if Koivu is injured?
What 's the link with Latendresse and that thread ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
15M/4years (5+5+3+2) deal is my bet!
way too long

Old
11-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Koivu will stay...and I think he'll even be willing to take a small paycut if he has too. I sure hope he does stay; now that he finally has a real player on his line, he'll produce like hell and people will finally appreciate him for his real value.
Who's the girl in your avatar?

Anyways, I hope Koivu stays with the Habs forever but I don't think they will negociate during the season. No need to bring up more distractions during the year.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Who's the girl in your avatar?

Anyways, I hope Koivu stays with the Habs forever but I don't think they will negociate during the season. No need to bring up more distractions during the year.
Some french singer...forgot her name, unfortunately...but not here body

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote