HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Dater Goes Ape (Insert Word Here)

Old
11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
quesosauce

vCash: 500
this team needs an ass kicking, simple as that, not an ass kicking from an opponent, but by a player/coach (preferably a player though, and the only one who i think could do it would be Foote)

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 02:48 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
I think it's more he's not getting great oppurtunities. He's constanty shuffled between lines, he has no chemistry with Sakic, and, despite playing well on the point, is relegated to PP duties with Arnason.

This team is an absolute gong show right now, like a chicken with it's head cut off, running around as the hungry coyote laughs at the stupidity of it all.

We need some changes, we've needed some major shakeup style changes for a while now (2 years at least).

The players just seem complacent, they now they can **** the bed and nothing will come of it.
I agree with the gong show bit. I had really hoped that Foote would bring back accountability but sadly I think I was just hoping for a return to bygone days. This team simply is not good. It isn't horrible either but it definitely isn't good. There are some interesting young parts to build around but it might be time to officially shut the door on those cup teams of yesterday. Has Wolski had much of a chance to play with Hensick. I can't really recall the two playing together last year but that would be an interesting experiment. Hensick can definitely make plays and if that is all Wolski needs it could be a dynamic combination.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Still, I do disagree with your assessment, or at least part of it. Yes, Budaj has faced a few nasty shots in the past couple of games, due to terrible defensive coverage (someone needs to instruct one of the Avs' forwards coming back that the space right between the faceoff circles is a nice place to cover defensively); but Budaj has been letting up big rebounds all year, IMO. He's got to be better.

-AB
Fair enough. I think the issues that Budaj struggles with when he's not playing well, are his five hole, and to a lesser extent his lateral movement, which isn't terrible, but just ok, and needs to be very good if he wants to be a solid starting goaltender.

I haven't pointed out each save Budaj's made in GDT's where he made a great save without rebounds, because I didn't want to make an I told you so kind of post. Also McNabb brought it up (not that him saying something necessarily gives it credence) and Budaj made enough of those types of saves in the last few gamest, where I figured people would notice them, but maybe not. It's possible that I'm just not seeing the poor rebounds, but the next time I'm able to watch a game live and post in the GDT, I'm going to try and point out the saves Budaj makes with both good and bad rebound control, in hopes of him getting the credit I think he deserves on this issue.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Great saves are...well, great. But they are somewhat nullified if they're followed by a soft goal that costs the game.

11-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Great saves are...well, great. But they are somewhat nullified if they're followed by a soft goal that costs the game.
Which hasn't happened in a while, so the saves stand on their own.

Old
11-05-2008, 04:05 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Fair enough. I think the issues that Budaj struggles with when he's not playing well, are his five hole, and to a lesser extent his lateral movement, which isn't terrible, but just ok, and needs to be very good if he wants to be a solid starting goaltender.

I haven't pointed out each save Budaj's made in GDT's where he made a great save without rebounds, because I didn't want to make an I told you so kind of post. Also McNabb brought it up (not that him saying something necessarily gives it credence) and Budaj made enough of those types of saves in the last few gamest, where I figured people would notice them, but maybe not. It's possible that I'm just not seeing the poor rebounds, but the next time I'm able to watch a game live and post in the GDT, I'm going to try and point out the saves Budaj makes with both good and bad rebound control, in hopes of him getting the credit I think he deserves on this issue.
Something I've noticed about Boods' lateral movement is the fact that he actually does have amazing lateral movement. He's got a ton of strength in those legs and he can move with the best of them. The problem lies in the fact that he's not reading the play fast enough, most of the time it's not the fact that he has weak movement it's that he moves, mentally, two steps slower. I really started noticing this when it always looked like he "almost" made a save. It's because he's getting there quick enough, just not reading it fast enough.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:05 PM
okcomputer

i agree that this team needs a message sent to them. This could mean waiving arnason and calling up willsie or hensick, which sends the message to the forwards not to be lazy.

Or it could mean scratching hannan, clark, or salei and letting tjarnqvist play, i don't think that tjarnqvist is going to change anything but it will tell the defensemen who are performing poorly right now not to be comfortable in their spots.

okcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Something I've noticed about Boods' lateral movement is the fact that he actually does have amazing lateral movement. He's got a ton of strength in those legs and he can move with the best of them. The problem lies in the fact that he's not reading the play fast enough, most of the time it's not the fact that he has weak movement it's that he moves, mentally, two steps slower. I really started noticing this when it always looked like he "almost" made a save. It's because he's getting there quick enough, just not reading it fast enough.
This could be true. At times he has shown great lateral movement, and also at times, he's shown great reading of the play. They definitely go hand in hand, but it seems as though there are sometimes when he's stuck down in the butterfly, when a cross ice pass that should have been blocked gets through. Again, I don't think this is really an area of concern, but it could be improved on a more consistent basis to help bail out the team when they need it. Luckily the butterfly aspect is a fundamental issue, so this can be worked on and improved.

Old
11-05-2008, 04:38 PM
weezman

Send a message via AIM to weezman
This team (and others) are stuck in the past.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:55 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
This could be true. At times he has shown great lateral movement, and also at times, he's shown great reading of the play. They definitely go hand in hand, but it seems as though there are sometimes when he's stuck down in the butterfly, when a cross ice pass that should have been blocked gets through. Again, I don't think this is really an area of concern, but it could be improved on a more consistent basis to help bail out the team when they need it. Luckily the butterfly aspect is a fundamental issue, so this can be worked on and improved.
Also what I see alot is Boods get himself into decent position to make a save, but keeps moving instead of getting set. The opposing forward if he's patient just waits for a hole to open up and scores an easy goal. Our defense need to be taking out these opposing fowards who shouldnt be getting all this time in the slot unmolested. And Budaj needs to quit squirming around so much and opening up new holes for people to shoot through him. Thats my biggest beef with Budaj. Most goals seems to be squeeking through him in places where there shouldnt be openings.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Wolski for the most part has looked very good.
What? He's a 2nd line player, the 2nd best 'young' player on the roster, and he's on a 7 goal pace for the season.

7 goals is 'very good'?

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:49 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Admit? No. Correct? at the end of the season.
They're the same thing.

And Avs' management will do neither, IMO, unless attendance regularly hits 13K or so.

-AB

Old
11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
I haven't pointed out each save Budaj's made in GDT's where he made a great save without rebounds, because I didn't want to make an I told you so kind of post.
I don't disagree that Budaj has made some damn nice saves in recent games. But, does that absolve him of the big rebounds in the same games?

Quote:
Also McNabb brought it up (not that him saying something necessarily gives it credence)
Goodness, no. McNab seems to have hockey knowledge, but it's so ridiculously encased in pretty wrapping paper that it's simply impossible to listen to.

Quote:
and Budaj made enough of those types of saves in the last few gamest, where I figured people would notice them, but maybe not.
That may be true, but again - do good saves absolve him of his bad plays?

Quote:
It's possible that I'm just not seeing the poor rebounds, but the next time I'm able to watch a game live and post in the GDT, I'm going to try and point out the saves Budaj makes with both good and bad rebound control, in hopes of him getting the credit I think he deserves on this issue.
Cool. It might be a 'leveling' of the beliefs in here. If you want, let's do it for a few games, and I'll join you in the discussion.

And again, sorry about the "others don't agree with your point" thing I did yesterday. Those sorts of BS posts tend to mute opinions, and I shouldn't be pushing that, as it's generally irrelevant and not productive for positive debate.

-AB

Old
11-05-2008, 11:00 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
What? He's a 2nd line player, the 2nd best 'young' player on the roster, and he's on a 7 goal pace for the season.

7 goals is 'very good'?

-AB
Did Henrik Sedin not have a "very good" season two years ago when he tallied all of 10 goals?

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I don't disagree that Budaj has made some damn nice saves in recent games. But, does that absolve him of the big rebounds in the same games?

Goodness, no. McNab seems to have hockey knowledge, but it's so ridiculously encased in pretty wrapping paper that it's simply impossible to listen to.

That may be true, but again - do good saves absolve him of his bad plays?

Cool. It might be a 'leveling' of the beliefs in here. If you want, let's do it for a few games, and I'll join you in the discussion.

And again, sorry about the "others don't agree with your point" thing I did yesterday. Those sorts of BS posts tend to mute opinions, and I shouldn't be pushing that, as it's generally irrelevant and not productive for positive debate.

-AB
No big deal on the later issue, but as far as the rebounds, I don't believe he's made any bad plays or bad rebounds in the games since Raycroft started two in a row. I've been a bit sensitized to the subject lately with Dater and a couple other people mentioning it, so I've been paying close attention. I've seen one bad rebound in each of the last two games, and it was early on that didn't lead to a bad scoring chance. I've probably posted enough about my feelings on why I don't think this is an area of concern in this thread and others, so I won't beat it to death right now. I'll wait to see what Budaj does tomorrow (if I'm able to watch the game live while I post in the GDT) and in the following games, and comment on it further then, in hopes that I haven't jinxed him.