HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu would like to re-sign with Habs

Old
11-05-2008, 11:48 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
If you resign Koivu, you do everything to resign Tanguay as well.. The only times Koivu clicked that well with someone was when he played for his country with Teemu Selanne on his wing..

Im really impressed with the begin of season Koivu is having and I would like it to have our captain back for the next 2 years, more than 2 years seems to be risky to me.. I would try to resign Tanguay for 3 years, between 5-6 millions per year..

More I think about it, more I think Kovalev is gone..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:55 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
15M/4years (5+5+3+2) deal is my bet!
There's a trick available with Koivu who will be under 35 when signing this contract that doesn't work with Kovalev or Lang.

A front-loaded contract with Koivu will reduce the cap hit, but if he retires in the last year or two of the contract, the hit is removed from the team's total salary cap hit that year.

Example:

The above 15/4 years is 3.75 per year. However, if Gainey adds a fifth year at 1M (can't be lower according to the rules), it becomes 16/5 which is 3.2M per year. If Saku feels there is no way he plays that fifth year, he will get the same money as in the 15/4 scenario, but the Habs save 0.55M each year for four years on the cap hit. The fifth year, since Saku does NOT play, they can remove the 3.2 cap hit entirely.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
15M/4years (5+5+3+2) deal is my bet!
No way he gets that he isnt a 5 million dollar player.....3 M tops.... hometown discount

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:52 AM
brownman*

15 divided by 4 isn't 5. And taking a 37% paycut for 3 mil/year is more than just a "hometown" discount.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:56 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Has anyone noticed that he carries himself a little differently this year ? He seems a little bit more at ease, more comfortable somehow, and it seems that the people covering the team are more at ease with him. I'm not sure what it is, but things just seem a little bit less intense in the way he speaks and the way he's spoken about.
he's been with us for a long time, we've seen him in the tricolor for 12 years, we've had good times and bad, we saw him defeat cancer.
i think after all these years of getting to know saku he's now a real veteran, he's matured as a player as we've matured as fans. i believe his cool demeanor is due to that.
not to mention he knows we got a "special" team this year

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
If you resign Koivu, you do everything to resign Tanguay as well.. The only times Koivu clicked that well with someone was when he played for his country with Teemu Selanne on his wing..

Im really impressed with the begin of season Koivu is having and I would like it to have our captain back for the next 2 years, more than 2 years seems to be risky to me.. I would try to resign Tanguay for 3 years, between 5-6 millions per year..

More I think about it, more I think Kovalev is gone..
Well he did click pretty well with Mark Recchi once upon a time.

However i dont see Koivu being difficult to sign at his age and with a similar team in place.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:03 AM
#44_delivers

i guess 4 years 13 mill.
he should retire having played as a hab only.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
No way he gets that he isnt a 5 million dollar player.....3 M tops.... hometown discount
He's on pace for 80+ points. Let say he gets 70 points, in this league, a 70 point player is worth 5M+. Also, you have to take in consideration that 15M/4 years is "only" 3.75M cap hit, which isn't that bad for both ways. That contract would be similar to the one Alfie got with the Sens, with almost 2 millions less in cap hit. If you want another comparison, Mike Fisher got 21M/5 years (6+4+4+4+3), 4.2M cap hit. I know Saku is getting old, but I'd still think my 15M/4year deal for Saku better than what Fisher got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Example:

The above 15/4 years is 3.75 per year. However, if Gainey adds a fifth year at 1M (can't be lower according to the rules), it becomes 16/5 which is 3.2M per year. If Saku feels there is no way he plays that fifth year, he will get the same money as in the 15/4 scenario, but the Habs save 0.55M each year for four years on the cap hit. The fifth year, since Saku does NOT play, they can remove the 3.2 cap hit entirely.
That sounds interesting. Could they give him something like: 5+5+3+2+1+1+1+1....

I guess not, but who knows.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-07-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Do you think that Gainey will try to make a deal with his agent during the season , like he did the for his last contract ?

Personaly , i don't think because he needs to sign biggest need to know what kind of money he will have for Koivu .

edited . Sorry , i am a french pea soup
If Koivu is willing to take the hometown discount then there is no reason not to sign him during the year.... If he wants over 5million or something, then we need to wait and evaluate everyone's season and who fits where next year.... But if he's willing to sign for what he is now making or less... then sign him.

He's at 4.75million right now.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Koivu has turned Latendresse into a veritable goal-scoring machine this season. Well, maybe later. But what happens to Lats if Koivu is injured?
What happens to Gui if the man with the yellow hat isn't around?! He'll get into all sorts of trouble.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Tuggy

I still think he'll retire if the Habs win the Cup this season.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Can you please put re-sign... the title made it look like he wants to quit playing for the Habs
resign/re-sign was the subject of a question last night on Jeopardy...

damn the schedule makers, I can't believe I've resorted to Jeopardy for entertainment.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
There's a trick available with Koivu who will be under 35 when signing this contract that doesn't work with Kovalev or Lang.

A front-loaded contract with Koivu will reduce the cap hit, but if he retires in the last year or two of the contract, the hit is removed from the team's total salary cap hit that year.

Example:

I thought that when a player was over 36 and he retired it counted against the cap, regardless of if you signed him before or after he turned 36?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I thought that when a player was over 36 and he retired it counted against the cap, regardless of if you signed him before or after he turned 36?
That, or something close to that, is true. I think it's 35 and above and I'm not sure about the age of the player counting when the contract is signed

Bob McKenzie is quoted on this site
"One of the clauses in the new CBA that kind of flew under the radar for many was the one dealing with the signing of these veteran players. Without getting too complicated on you, the bottom line, as far as the salary cap is concerned, is that any team that signs a player 35 or older to a multi-year contract is going to use up valuable cap room to the end of the contract no matter what happens to the player. Even if he retires. Or is abducted by aliens. Really, it doesn't matter."

from: http://jesgolbez.blogspot.com/2006/0...ajor-risk.html

Last edited by Riverboat Gambler: 11-06-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: accruacy
Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Anything under a $5M cap hit would be a hometown discount, but who knows maybe we can get something a little under that if it's a long enough deal. $20M/5years - 5 5 4 4 2 would be a perfect deal IMHO.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 08:31 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
I think that Koivu has stopped sweating the small stuff the last little while. I think that easing up a little has him actually revelling in being a player and captain of the Canadiens, rather than letting the pressure get to him. It's also clear to see that he is enjoying playing on such a great team, in such a passionate environment.

Last but not least, I think that the last couple years he's really starting to get a true appreciation of the history of this club. He's been front row center for a lot of the ceremonies honouring the greats of the Habs' past. There seemed to be something really special to him when he was commenting about passing Richard's assist total, and I think that he wants to continue to put his stamp on this franchise until he hangs them up.
I think this sums up the sense I've been getting. It might have been Jean Page who made a comment about a difference in his demeanour, though I have no idea if he's around the team at all, he could've been repeating what he'd been told.

Whatever it is, it's nice to see.

In terms of contract, assuming he ends up pr rated to around 65-70 points, I'd love to see his deal extended at close to what he's getting. The other thought is whether he and Gainey have a relationship like Yzerman had, or like Sakic, whereas at the end of a year, they could discuss their outlook, and decide, yeah, why not ,let's do it another year.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 08:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Hahahaha $3m

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Pascal

4 yrs on a deal is a big stretch.. I think he'll go with 2 yrs @ 4.5m.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:24 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Sure im all for it, if it isnt too expensive.

Never underestimate what Koivu brings to the table.
He looks great so fare!

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
resign/re-sign was the subject of a question last night on Jeopardy...

damn the schedule makers, I can't believe I've resorted to Jeopardy for entertainment.
Jeopardy is awesome.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
habfan4

I'm not sure why anyone would suggest a long term deal, Koivu has demonstrated in the past that he's content to go year to year at a reasonable rate.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Some french singer...forgot her name, unfortunately...but not here body
Her name is Alizee, shame on you for forgetting the best export France has made in years....except maybe that news lady, she's pretty fine too.

I see Koivu retiring here, no if's ands or but's about it.
Koivu has never been the "show me the money" type and there's no reason to start now. We all know how important he is to the franchise and obviously so does Gainey, he will make sure he retires as a Hab.
Can you imagine Koivu in a Wings jersey? As much of a chance as he'd have of winning the cup over there, he'd rather do it on the Habs and has stuck it out here through all the lean years to make sure the team is in a position like it is now.
You know what? Come to think of it, Koivu cost us a bunch of top 5 picks with his play, inspiration and leadership, trade the jerk. It's already been said by most former teammates and a bunch of other players that they'll be rooting for Koivu come playoff time unless he plays against them.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would suggest a long term deal, Koivu has demonstrated in the past that he's content to go year to year at a reasonable rate.
When he signed at 4,75 everybody thought it was too much, and today it's a reasonable price.

Another year at the same salary than now, then lowering it to make a cap hit of 3,44M, so it makes as much as his three year contract, but spreaded on 4 years.

4,75M$, 4M$, 3M$, 2M$ (13,75$, 3,44m$ capt hit).

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Samuelson

I think that Koivu will resign for like 3 years at maybe 12 million?
I mean he's our captain but he's not worth 5 million dollars per (unless he continues on the streak he's on)

Samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:50 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Maybe I'm naive, ok , I am naive, but if 2 guys have a relationship of mutual respect, I'd like them to be able to say, 'at the end of every year, let's sit down and see if we're on the same page'.

I'd be very curious to see if Kovalev and Koivu would both be of that mind, and whether Gainey would deal with them in that way. Even if in 2 year increments...

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote