HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sign Sundin / trade Lang

View Poll Results: Would you trade Lang to sign Sundin?
Yes 72 38.50%
No 115 61.50%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-06-2008, 12:38 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
do you really want to bend over for him? ..... again ? if he comes here, no freakin briere-i-want-to-play-with-my-buddy-or-saku's-wingers kind of ****...

you sign, apologize for not signing earlier, and then, you just shut the **** up and do whatever we ask of you.
huh...

OK, since it seems hard to understand for a few of you (who replied to my posts) unless I use the perfect "phrasing", here it is :

I DON'T GIVE A DUCK ABOUT SUNDIN... and... IT'S NOT LIKE WE NEED HIM ANYWAY (record without Sundin this season : 8-1-1)

thought it was pretty clear anyway for anyone who read more than just my last post in this thread...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Can people frickin stop with 1st, 2nd and 3rd line? Last game Plekanec played 16 minutes, Lang 15 minutes. Mind you Pleks played more than 3 minutes on even strength, still Lang played then his share of PP minutes....which is exactly what Sundin will do. Carbo is rolling his lines and then depending on who's hot and who's not played some lines just a little more than the others. If Sundin is there, he'll make sure he'll play more than less.

You don't disrupt any chemistry, you put Sundin with Lats and SKost. And on some games, THIS will be your best line. And Sundin won't care too much this year 'cause if his goal is to win the Cup, the regular season will almost be like a preseason camp for him. He won't be expecting to play 25 minutes right from the start.

And for anybody who dislike the fact that he's coming after the season has started, that he didn't seem to convince that he want to play, if it makes you feel better, just pretend we would've traded for him. Strangely, nobody minds getting some help at the trade deadline even though you have a fine team, but we do mind getting Sundin now 'cause he was unsure to know what he would do but now seems to be more convinced.....what's the problem really.....We're not talking about Boyd Devereaux here....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 11-06-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

To me, that ship has sailed. I don't like signing players after the season, especially 37 year olds who have missed camp...plus you'd hvae to clear about 5 mil off the cap(Lang plus another player) and possibly not be able to add a d-man later on.

I'd consider it if Sundin approached the Habs and said he really wanted to come here...but not if they have to run after him and offer big money. Let him screw NYR or Phillie(or Anahaeim)'s chemistry. Either of those 3 would need to move a big salary to get him so would it really help them?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

I guess people don't take Gainey's word when he says the team is moving in a different direction, he said it after the Lang Trade.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can people frickin stop with 1st, 2nd and 3rd line? Last game Plekanec played 16 minutes, Lang 15 minutes. Mind you Pleks played more than 3 minutes on even strength, still Lang played then his share of PP minutes....which is exactly what Sundin will do. Carbo is rolling his lines and then depending on who's hot and who's not played some lines just a little more than the others. If Sundin is there, he'll make sure he'll play more than less.

You don't disrupt any chemistry, you put Sundin with Lats and SKost. And on some games, THIS will be your best line. And Sundin won't care too much this year 'cause if his goal is to win the Cup, the regular season will almost be like a preseason camp for him. He won't be expecting to play 25 minutes right from the start.

And for anybody who dislike the fact that he's coming after the season has started, that he didn't seem to convince that he want to play, if it makes you feel better, just pretend we would've traded for him. Strangely, nobody minds getting some help at the trade deadline even though you have a fine team, but we do mind getting Sundin now 'cause he was unsure to know what he would do but now seems to be more convinced.....what's the problem really.....We're not talking about Boyd Devereaux here....
Thank you Whitesnake, some people here really make me laugh, as if Sundin would just come here and demand to play with the best and start a war with Saku, he's been in the league for 17 years now, he knows his role. and if he decides to join us it's because he wants the cup. It's not like playing with Latendresse and S.Kost is considerd a punishment mind you, in fact it's better then what he played with Toronto last season, add to that the pp time he would get on Koivu's line, we have every ingredient to make Mats Sundin a very happy man in Montreal.

To the Sign Sundin/trade Lang proposal, i say hell yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Hab_Fan View Post
I guess people don't take Gainey's word when he says the team is moving in a different direction, he said it after the Lang Trade.
You never take Gainey's word on anything, that's something i learned a long time ago.

Expect the unexpected

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-06-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
look up your hockey history book, you'll notice, the WINNERS rarely made big splashs at the deadline...

Det, Ana, Car, TB, NJ...
Carolina was a huge player at the dealine in 06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
are you serious ? If Sundin plays for the Habs he would be our best player , even at his age . No way he would be on the 3 th line .
Kovalev was better than Sundin last season, I doubt Sundin would be betetr than him this year. Tanguay is also performing at a level Sundin has not been consistently better than in some time. I don't think Sundin would be one of our top 3 players to be honest. Kovalev, Tanguay and Koivu are all better than what I expect Sundin to be.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-06-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Kovalev was better than Sundin last season, I doubt Sundin would be betetr than him this year. Tanguay is also performing at a level Sundin has not been consistently better than in some time. I don't think Sundin would be one of our top 3 players to be honest. Kovalev, Tanguay and Koivu are all better than what I expect Sundin to be.
Sundin was unreal last year down the stretch.... he nearly carried that team into the playoffs.... put him with players who are good and i think he will definetely be over a PPG pace. Heck he was at that pace last year with Antropov and Poni on his line, and no second line to take defensive attention away from him.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I'll ALWAYS take Gainey's word for what it is....I just decide to add some words on my own after he say it..."FOR NOW".

He also keeps saying that he's always looking to improve his team. So when he made those comments, he did say he wasn't interested, he moved on, reason why he signed Lang.....still if Sundin come to him, if there's any interest with fine return for Lang, and if Gainey's is sure about Sundin's decision and willingness to play, you think he'll turn it down? IF Sundin's goal is to win the Cup and could be ready to take a paycut, don't you think it fits EXACTLY what Gainey and Co want for this year?

Gainey is not dumb. While him and Carbo are pretty much open and say whatever they think, do you seriously think that they're saying EVERYTHING they know? How are they able to do that when in the end they still have to keep their strategies for themselves.....

I'm wondering another thing.....Is it only getting Sundin or is it also a question of keeping Sundin away from New York, Pittsburgh.....If Gainey wanted Sundin so bad and was willing to wait a little, it has to mean that he think that this guy could change the face of a team. And what if he chances the face of New York (as if they needed it....), Pittsburgh, Philly or somebody else in the conference.....not only we won't have him but the others will, does it change a little our hope to go further????

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Situations change all the time. Maybe the team is moving in a different direction if Sundin is requesting 8mil. But what if he's willing to play for 3mil?

I know Gainey is known for being an honest and straight forward type person. But he would be crazy not to consider changing his mind if my hypothetical situation ever arose.

So I'm not saying this will happen. Just pointing out that everything is not always black or white.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Sundin was unreal last year down the stretch.... he nearly carried that team into the playoffs.... put him with players who are good and i think he will definetely be over a PPG pace. Heck he was at that pace last year with Antropov and Poni on his line, and no second line to take defensive attention away from him.
he didn't nearly lead them to the playoffs, and he was still no better than Kovalev or Tanguay thus far.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
he didn't nearly lead them to the playoffs, and he was still no better than Kovalev or Tanguay thus far.
They would have been mathematically eliminated weeks before they actually were if it wasn't for Sundin in both 07 and 08

Plekanec + Andrei >>>> Poni + Antropov
Koivu + Lats/Higgins >>>> Poni + Antropov

Regardless, if he is no better than Kovalev or Tanguay, he is definetely at their level... i still think Sundin would be the most talented centre on this team...

But as I said before... I don't want him now.... I'm not worried about his regular season performance, i'm worried about his playoff performance. He has not shown the desire to want to be in the league at this point, i question if he'll have the same heart come playoff time as he had those years in toronto.

I think Sundin is a great player and he'll give his heart for his team... i'm just concerned he doesn't see the habs... or anyone else other than the leafs as "his team"... i'm concerned he bleeds blue and white and thats all he wants.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:

QFFT. Especially the first part. It should be stickied. I'm so tired of hearing this BS (he's second line player, not 3rd bla bla) on and on... Players want some time on ice, that's it.

Quote:
I'll ALWAYS take Gainey's word for what it is....I just decide to add some words on my own after he say it..."FOR NOW".
an other great post.

Even after all those years as a GM, Gainey's still learning.

When he joined the Canadiens, he was managing like he was in Dallas, nothing would get to the media. As a result, people were insulting him (he's sleeping, he's too old, etc...) Now, he's leeking a lot of information, which make him look much more active (when in fact he's been working at the same level the whole time).

As seen with the Souray situation, Gainey is willing to lie to the media.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-06-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: No french curse words.
Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

What this team needs is a another steady D-man to ease the pressure of the 3 (Markov, Komi, Hammer) more than another Forward...I think that is the Team's philosophy as will. I could be wrong but I'm willing to bet the team would look at that avenue before even thinking of Sundin.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
They would have been mathematically eliminated weeks before they actually were if it wasn't for Sundin in both 07 and 08

Plekanec + Andrei >>>> Poni + Antropov
Koivu + Lats/Higgins >>>> Poni + Antropov

Regardless, if he is no better than Kovalev or Tanguay, he is definetely at their level... i still think Sundin would be the most talented centre on this team...

But as I said before... I don't want him now.... I'm not worried about his regular season performance, i'm worried about his playoff performance. He has not shown the desire to want to be in the league at this point, i question if he'll have the same heart come playoff time as he had those years in toronto.

I think Sundin is a great player and he'll give his heart for his team... i'm just concerned he doesn't see the habs... or anyone else other than the leafs as "his team"... i'm concerned he bleeds blue and white and thats all he wants.
I agree with you, but on some level.
It's true, if he does come back, it'll be in the middle of a season and that can somewhat question his dedication.
But the fact that if he indeed returns, should kind of cancel that lack of dedication question.

Some questions/doubts will always arise, but having Sundin/Koivu/Plek as our top 3 centers could be very lethal.

In terms of playoff performance, I just don't buy into the myth of players fading off. It's an extremely high level of competition once in the POs, some players have trouble getting adjusted to it.
But look how they were treating Alfie in OTT, they were ready to crucify him after he looked ''nonchalant'' on that PK goal. But look how much of a beast he was when he brought them to the finals.
Same was said about Hossa..Gaborik..Marleau..a bunch of other players and it's all BS IMO.
Some players don't have the time to settle down and find their rhythm, others can jump right in it. It all depends..

I don't think Sundin would lack heart and determination come PO time. I think it's the only reason why he'd come back, so if he does indeed make it and is part of one of the top contenders, Im pretty sure he would give his complete all to finally snatch that cup.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote