HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valentenko signed in Russia

Old
11-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeri Loonen View Post
You are Da Man!

Thanks again.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 09:57 AM
vesperal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeri Loonen View Post
Here's a transcript of a Pavel Valentenko interview in Russian media...

It's possible that if I'll be necessary in two years, that I will return to Montreal. I want to play in the NHL. My contract with Dynamo is for three years. But it holds a clause that if after two seasons I obtain a good proposal from across the ocean, the Dynamo management will release me without problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
In two years Pavel will be only 23 years old. Let's say he then makes $2 million per year in Russia and is one of the best defensemen over there and we offer him $3M and he comes back with us that's fine with me.
I don't think Valentenko or Montreal can do that. I remember reading about a similar situation and if he comes back, his contract is still valid and he should still be on his entry level contract. For how long does this apply and how does this affect his right, I don't know. I'll post a thread in the BoH section to see what the expert says.

vesperal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post
A lot of good points made, kind of like the U.S. elections! I can see the player's point of view, he is a long way from the NHL, Carle, Weber, Belle, Henry would probably all see a call up before he does. He tried, it didn't work out, everybody moves on. I think Russia is probably going to pay (players not drafted, international reputation) by not signing a transfer agreement. It's no coincidence that the Habs ( outside of last year's pick) won't take a Russian in the draft.
What do you mean? Habs took Trunev this year (2008). They took Valentenko in 2006. They took Sergei Kostitsyn (Belarus but was playing in Russia) in 2005. They took Emelin and Grabovsky in 2004, Andrei Kostitsyn in 2003, Korneyev in 2002, Perezhogin in 2001. The Habs also drafted Russians in 1999, 1998 (Markov), and 1997.

There is no evidence whatsoever that says Habs don't take Russians in the draft.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:38 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I really think after reading the interviews, Valentenko is trying to be a gentleman.

It seems like his family needs him to support them and wants him to be in Russia.. and Valentenko didn't know where to go. Sometimes it's hard to go against your parent's wishes.. especially when you don't see them forever.

I feel bad for Valentenko being placed in a situation like this.. and I truly believe he felt obligated to sing because of his father.

I'm going to miss the kid.. he had a bright future. And he still does because I truly believe his dream is the NHL.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 01:38 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Also, don't forget, when he came over to NA, he had a two year deal with Nizhnekamsk...But that's o'k on NHL standards.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 01:46 PM
mlandry

I have come to a stunning realisation!

AO is next to sign in Russia!

But seriously, the circumstances seem so similar, both of them being in Russia for family reasons; and you know the KHL talked to AO at least trying to get him there. I know it (probably) will never happen but I thought I would throw my crazy conspiracy theory out there incase it does happen I can say I called it first.

In other news, I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this on the main board. I know he's no Radulov but come on now!

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:31 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Can players sighn in Russia reneging on their NA contracts but players cant sign in NA reneging on their Russian contracts? Why cant the Habs just sign Emelin? I must be missing something.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:37 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Can players sighn in Russia reneging on their NA contracts but players cant sign in NA reneging on their Russian contracts? Why cant the Habs just sign Emelin? I must be missing something.
I think one of the parts you're missing is where Emelin agrees to sign with the Habs before his KHL contract is up.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:40 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What loudi94 said. It takes 2 babeeee, it takes 2 babeee, me n you.

Sorry, I've had this Springsteen CD on in the car all week.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
What loudi94 said. It takes 2 babeeee, it takes 2 babeee, me n you.

Sorry, I've had this Springsteen CD on in the car all week.
You kids & your new music.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:55 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:
His parents would rather he play in poorly equipped rinks, where paramedics may or May Not be in attendance?
]

not anymore...

ViD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Schooner Guy

The thing that really bugs me about this is that Tank lied to Habs brass about why he was going over to Russia and now he doesn't even have to tell anyone from the Habs organization that he signed with Moscow....his agent communicated this. Too many people are making Tank out be some sort of noble hero for taking care of his family when he broke a contract and lied to people that have been very good to him.

Oh yeah, and if anyone believes that he left Canada without having his mind already made up that he was jumping ship.....I have some land to sell you in Siberia.

Old
11-01-2008, 03:58 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
The thing that really bugs me about this is that Tank lied to Habs brass about why he was going over to Russia and now he doesn't even have to tell anyone from the Habs organization that he signed with Moscow....his agent communicated this. Too many people are making Tank out be some sort of noble hero for taking care of his family when he broke a contract and lied to people that have been very good to him.

Oh yeah, and if anyone believes that he left Canada without having his mind already made up that he was jumping ship.....I have some land to sell you in Siberia.
Exactly my point. The cause might be noble. But two wrongs don't make one right.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 01:55 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't know if this is new news but I'm reading the JdM today and Dynamo's president says the contract is for two years (no out-clause after this year) with a club option for a third year, if I read it properly. Sounds like he's gone for at least two years.

They also speculate that Emelin wants to come over after this year but it's just that, speculation.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't know if this is new news but I'm reading the JdM today and Dynamo's president says the contract is for two years (no out-clause after this year) with a club option for a third year, if I read it properly. Sounds like he's gone for at least two years.

They also speculate that Emelin wants to come over after this year but it's just that, speculation.
Well as far as I'm concerned he broke his contract with us to go over there.... Do you really think its that hard for him to to break his contract this summer and come back?? If he really wants to be back; he'll be back.

Sadly I don't think he wants to be back.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 02:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Well as far as I'm concerned he broke his contract with us to go over there.... Do you really think its that hard for him to to break his contract this summer and come back?? If he really wants to be back; he'll be back.

Sadly I don't think he wants to be back.
Well it seems like he broke his contract with Nizhenkamsk to join us, then broke us contract with us to join Moscow (via Nizhenkamsk). So one thing we can glean is that he's not a very reliable individual

I was hoping it would turn out the way it first appeared - that he needed to take the big money in Russia to support his family and that he'd be back in North America after this year, but the more I read, the more I'm concerned he just up and left and all this "family troubles" stuff is bunk.

Don Lever said he begged off a game in Hamilton blaming a knee injury that no one knew anything about, and next thing he's signed in Russia. If it really were family problems, why wouldn't he have just said so? The fact that Gainey/Carbo/Lever seemed so caught off guard by the signing is not a good sign.

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt but now I'm not so sure.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I could see him coming to training camp with the understanding that if he doesn't stick in the NHL, he'll go back to Russia instead of Hamilton.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. If not this year, then the next.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So it went to the dad had cancer to the dad had financial problems.....And then from 3 years, to 1 year + 2 options to 2 years + 1 option...

We should learn that everything that comes from Russia especially, we should wait at least a week before commenting....but what's the point right???

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So it went to the dad had cancer to the dad had financial problems.....And then from 3 years, to 1 year + 2 options to 2 years + 1 option...

We should learn that everything that comes from Russia especially, we should wait at least a week before commenting....but what's the point right???
It was pretty easy to put two and two together as soon as he signed with the Russian team. I was suprised so many people still believed he went back to Russia because of family issues EVEN AFTER he signed the contract with Moscow. He knew what he was doing all along.

Old
11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Also, don't forget, when he came over to NA, he had a two year deal with Nizhnekamsk...But that's o'k on NHL standards.
You are a troll and a NHL hater.

And Valentenko doesn't respect a contract, I'm not that sure anymore I want him back, if it is to brake another contract...

CH4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I could see him coming to training camp with the understanding that if he doesn't stick in the NHL, he'll go back to Russia instead of Hamilton.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway. If not this year, then the next.
Yeah, maybe we could have a farm team in Russia so our players that don't make it could stay closer to home.

That would be a huge advantage.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:08 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Yeah, maybe we could have a farm team in Russia so our players that don't make it could stay closer to home.

Or a major disadvantage. By staying in Russia they don't get used to the smaller rinks nor are they immersed into the NA liftestyle, culture, and more important language. Those players would have a harder time adapting to the NHL when they do end up coming over.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:15 PM
habdynasty

or they could move the habs to russia .... moscow canadiens?

no thanks...

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote