HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs sign Desharnais

Old
11-06-2008, 10:18 AM
David

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
So does Theo Fleury.
Brian Gionta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Were St-Louis or Fleury elite prospects?
Fleury was drafted late because of his size or the lack there of and didn't even found out that he was drafted until he got a neighbour to drive him across the Ontario boarder to buy The Toronto Star where all the draftees were listed.

However, people thought enough of him to include in the World Junior Roster...where subsequently he was at the centre of that bru-ha-ha with the Russians and the Czech soldiers back in 1987 WJC.

St. Louis was not drafted. However on paper St. Louis (listed as 5'9" although these numbers are always inflated esp. for small guys) is much bigger than Fleury (5'6") but I am sure that size was again a factor here.

St. Louis was a scoring sensation and even was considered for Hobey Baker Award for best US Collegiate player. However, St. Louis was not recognized in the same way that Fleury was during his younger years.

Perhaps that was because Fleury did have that bigger than life bravado that Marty didn't really have.

In either case, both of these guys had to fight tooth and nail to get to NHL and then be stars in it, esp. because of the grinding, physically draining hockey that was played for the last 20 years.

And even more impressive to me has always been our very own Frankie Bouillion making it to NHL as a defenseman and succeeding at all of 5'8"!!! THIS is something. We don't give him nearly enough credit for the size of this guy's heart. Didn't he even take on Colten Orr one year and hold his own?

Small guys now-a-days have a much better shot at making it in NHL.

Let's not forget that our friendly captain, Yvan Serge Cournoyer was only 5'7"!!!

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-06-2008 at 10:42 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Fleury was drafted late because of his size or the lack there of and didn't even found out that he was drafted until he got a neighbour to drive him across the Ontario boarder to buy The Toronto Star where all the draftees were listed.

However, people thought enough of him to include in the World Junior Roster...where subsequently he was at the centre of that bru-ha-ha with the Russians and the Czech soldiers back in 1987 WJC.

St. Louis was also not drafted. However on paper St. Louis (listed as 5'9" although these numbers are always inflated esp. for small guys) is much bigger than Fleury (5'6") but I am sure that size was again a factor here.

St. Louis was a scoring sensation and even was considered for Hobey Baker Award for best US Collegiate player. However, St. Louis was not recognized in the same way that Fleury was during his younger years.

Perhaps that was because Fleury did have that bigger than life bravado that Marty didn't really have.

In either case, both of these guys had to fight tooth and nail to get to NHL and then be stars in it, esp. because of the grinding, physically draining hockey that was played for the last 20 years.

And even more impressive to me has always been our very own Frankie Bouillion making it to NHL as a defenseman and succeeding at all of 5'8"!!! THIS is something. We don't give him nearly enough credit for the size of this guy's heart. Didn't he even take on Colten Orr one year and hold his own?

Small guys now-a-days have a much better shot at making it in NHL.

Let's not forget that our friendly captain, Yvan Serge Cournoyer was only 5'7"!!!
Bouillon is built like a freaking tank though. 5'8 200+ pds is HUGE.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 10:54 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Bouillon is built like a freaking tank though. 5'8 200+ pds is HUGE.
Actually 5'8" guy is TINY when compared to and competing against the likes of Chara (6'9"), Pronger (6'5"), and even fighting Colton Orr (6'3") and holding his own!

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Passchendaele

St. Louis isn't even close to 5'9".

he's 5'6.5" - 5'7" max.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
St. Louis isn't even close to 5'9".

he's 5'6.5" - 5'7" max.
Okay so if they are listing him at 5'9 and he's just 5'7 max, how big is Desharnais if they are currently listing him at just 5'6?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Cournoyer was one of the best skaters of all-time.
He also had one of the hardest shots in the NHL. His father worked in a machine shop, and at Yvan's request made him a puck of steel weighing over 3 lbs. He would practice in his basement shooting the steel puck. When he got on the ice the official pucks felt light as a feather.

Got this tidbit from a coffee table book on all the Habs greats; whether players, builders, or coaches to be voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. "Honoured Canadiens, Hockey Hall of Fame"- 1909-2009, 100 years of Legends. Wonderful book.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Mont Royale

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Sure, laugh now. It wasn't so funny at the time.

Mont Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Okay so if they are listing him at 5'9 and he's just 5'7 max, how big is Desharnais if they are currently listing him at just 5'6?
St. Louis admitted himself being only 5'7". But many people lie themselves about their height. He could be truly 5'6", who knows.

I don't really know about Desharnais. He was sometimes listed at 5'7". He could be 5'5" (like Gionta).

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont Royale View Post
Sure, laugh now. It wasn't so funny at the time.
I just finished reading a book about the brawl in Piestany. Kind of an intersting account of the roles of th eplayers/coaches/referees/ and hockey officils involved.

Theo Fleury spent most of it pinned to the ice despite his attempts to free himself.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I just finished reading a book about the brawl in Piestany. Kind of an intersting account of the roles of th eplayers/coaches/referees/ and hockey officils involved.

Theo Fleury spent most of it pinned to the ice despite his attempts to free himself.
What was the name of the book??

I started reading a book like this waiting for a job interview this summer in hamilton... i would go to the hamilton library and pick it up and read more in the 3 hour breaks i had between interviews.... i finished about 1/2 of it, but never got through the whole thing and couldn't take it out cause i had no way to bring it back once i returned to kingston..... I wanted to finish the book; it was good...

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
And nobody mentions The Pocket Rocket. Another era yes, but he still was only 5'7".

Good signing. Like Beaker says, no risk - potential big reward.
I think that is the main point. So what if he does not make it, we have him signed and if he works out, bonus. At the very least he will help out in Hamilton.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sure size isn't everything, but you still need at least 1 extraordinairy feature to make it. Reason why Locke will not make it. And reason why Desharnais "might" make it...his vision is off the chart. He's not big but he's quite strong, not sure if he's St-Louis' or Fleury's strong as far as lower body is concerned. He's not lightning fast but he's fast enough and I think he's still improving in that department. It does seem that he improved his foot speed from the beginning of last year to the beginning of this year. Might not be a lot of room left for improvement, but still....
I still think Locke could make it.. he just needs to play for a bad team like LA or NYI.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I still think Locke could make it.. he just needs to play for a bad team like LA or NYI.
I don't know Natey, he was given a pretty good opportunity with the Wild. It's not like they are overloaded with talented centers.

Mikko Koivu C
Eric Belanger C
Colton Gillies C
Krystofer Kolanos C
James Sheppard C

I can see him getting beat out by Koivu and Belanger. But the bottom 3 I listed aren't that great.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
I really liked what I saw of this kid in the game at Roberval. He seemed to always be at the right place at the right time (remember Plek's SH-goal, I do believe he was the one to dislodge the puck along the boards). Seems to be a little fighter and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull a Martin St-Louis on people.

Good low risk signing, now let's hope he can keep up his game in the AHL and eventually get a shot in the big league (remember Carbo likes him, so he'll get a good opportunity if/when it happens).

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:30 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't know Natey, he was given a pretty good opportunity with the Wild. It's not like they are overloaded with talented centers.

Mikko Koivu C
Eric Belanger C
Colton Gillies C
Krystofer Kolanos C
James Sheppard C

I can see him getting beat out by Koivu and Belanger. But the bottom 3 I listed aren't that great.
James Sheppard is a great player and IRC had a good preseason. Either or Locke just does not fit the Minnesota system, those centres you listed are all two-way players that work hard.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post

Mikko Koivu C
Eric Belanger C
Colton Gillies C
Krystofer Kolanos C
James Sheppard C

Not to be a jerk or anything.. but Gillies (19) and Sheppard (20) are both 1st round draft picks with much higher ceilings than Corey Locke.

Gillies, as far as HockeysFuture is concerned, is rated as their #1 prospect. (7.0B).. Sheppard has "graduated" from that list (7.5B).

Also, I think Pouliot (22) (also a 1st round pick as Montreal fans know) is playing centre this year.. (Gillies has taken 0 face-offs).. but I'm not positive.

Kolanos and Locke as the injury call-up was a toss-up, but Kris fits more into Lemaires style of play.

Saying Gilles and/or Sheppard aren't that great is like someone coming here telling us that Pacioretty and/or Maxwell aren't all that great.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 11-06-2008 at 05:29 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:42 PM
goalchenyuk

when he played during the pre-season , i thought that Desharnais was very strong on his skates for someone of his size . He's way more solid than Grabovsky .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
What was the name of the book??

I started reading a book like this waiting for a job interview this summer in hamilton... i would go to the hamilton library and pick it up and read more in the 3 hour breaks i had between interviews.... i finished about 1/2 of it, but never got through the whole thing and couldn't take it out cause i had no way to bring it back once i returned to kingston..... I wanted to finish the book; it was good...
When The Lights Went Out, Gare Joyce.

Old
11-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Yeah that was the one... I was thinking it was The Night the Lights Went Out... but Gare Joyce was definetely the author.... I'm sure its the same book.

Old
11-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I was just joking about my comment "trop ptit pour la ligue nationale"

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 07:13 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Yeah that was the one... I was thinking it was The Night the Lights Went Out... but Gare Joyce was definetely the author.... I'm sure its the same book.
I was struck by how that team was pretty well left on their own, by the coaching staff, Hockey Canada, everyone. I don''t think players with the current program would get away with as much 'boys will be boys' stuff. 2 former Mtl players who wore the C, had roles, ehh, though very different roles.

The ref that night was exposed pretty badly in the book wasn't he ? He made calls charges, about who started what, who left the bench first, all stuff he didn't see.

Old
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I was struck by how that team was pretty well left on their own, by the coaching staff, Hockey Canada, everyone. I don''t think players with the current program would get away with as much 'boys will be boys' stuff. 2 former Mtl players who wore the C, had roles, ehh, though very different roles.

The ref that night was exposed pretty badly in the book wasn't he ? He made calls charges, about who started what, who left the bench first, all stuff he didn't see.
I didn't get that far ....

like i said i maybe got through a third but couldn't finish it... over the xmas break its on my must read list.

I found the discussion of how noone in hockey canada likes to talk about that team very interesting... How Gare Joyce was at that banquet and noone would discuss the team with him despite the fact it graduated as many NHLers as any team canada WJ team; but they totally want to wipe the team from the record book at hockey canada. Sure its not a great incident, but we shouldn't be burying the dark parts of our history.

Old
11-06-2008, 09:32 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
I completely forgot about this book when I lost my last "books to read" list (yeah, I'm a nerd). That is such an important, although infamous moment in Canada's hockey history. I'm just a little too young to fully grasp the extent of the rivalry between Canada and Soviet Russia. I think I'll track it down and read it over Christmas break. Thanks for the reminder, even though it wasn't intended as one to me.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 10:00 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
You know who i'd love to get on our team? Brian Boyle.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 10:46 PM
ToysInTheAttic

re: "When the Lights Went Out", by Joyce Gare. Read that book this past summer. Lots of future NHL players involved in that brawl. Shanahan, Fleury, Keane, Federov, Konstantinov, Mogilny. Refs lost control of the game, then left the ice after the brawl got going. This game resulted in better referee selection in the future.

Piestany 1987-

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote