HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs for sale?!

Old
11-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Woland

vCash: 500
I don't know anything about business but how safe is the Blackberry against the I-Phone ??? I know they aren't exactly the same , but nothing would stop Apple from making a direct rival to compete against the Blackberry and killing the company. Unless this is already the case ...

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 02:06 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
I don't know anything about business but how safe is the Blackberry against the I-Phone ??? I know they aren't exactly the same , but nothing would stop Apple from making a direct rival to compete against the Blackberry and killing the company. Unless this is already the case ...
blackberries are so ingrained as the tool for the business professional that they are pretty safe.

I phones aren't really a competitor right now.

If you need a business communications tool ---> blackberry
If you need a cool phone that can surf the web, has graphics, is young and hip --> iphone

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 02:37 AM
Artyukhin*

well IF the day ever comes Uncle George has to or wants to sell i hope Jim Balsillie buy the Habs .Jim Balsillie is a major Montreal Canadiens fan(lifelong Habsfan) and he would only continue to drive this team ahead for our next stanley cup .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Uncle George vehemetely denies what Balsillie says. its right there in the article

However we know George Gillett is a smart business man and everybody has a price.

I think what i'm saying is that he is not actively shopping the team... but if someone makes him an offer that is a severe overpayment for it, he'd be dumb to turn them down.

We are the third highest valued club in the league according to Forbes... so its no doubt we are attractive.

And Balsille also says it would be stupid to move the team out of Montreal, which is right.

Balsille wouldn't move the habs.... a struggling US team yes... a highly successful one in montreal... there's no way.
"Uncle George vehemetely denies what Balsillie says"

yes and Uncle George is saying the same stuff over in London "not forsale" but everyone in the loop is saying different.No secret the financial crisis is playing havoc on alot of people owing loans . they got loans of near 700 million ? for the soccer team they need to refinance before end of Jan 2009 .What about the Hockey club? They say not forsale for a good reason.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5084553.ece

The American tycoons are expected to issue another public denial today, amid concerns that the price could be driven down if they are seen as active sellers, but it is an open secret in the world of football finance that they are willing to sell for the right price. Even if they have not been directly involved in negotiations, others have negotiated on their behalf.

================================================== =============

"Balsille wouldn't move the habs"

Jim Balsille is a lifelong or longtime Habsfan and i do believe there are conference rooms at RIM he named after famous Montreal Canadiens. So we would never have to worry about him or his passion for the Montreal Canadiens

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 11-07-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 02:37 AM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
.Jim Balsillie is a major Montreal Canadiens fan(lifelong Habsfan) .
is this a fact ?

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
is this a fact ?
yup it is i remember reading it way back when .

Balsillie, a long-time Habs fan who named the conference rooms of RIM's corporate headquarters after retired greats like Guy Lafleur, Bobby Orr and Gordie Howe

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=M1ARTM0013122

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
is this a fact ?
Regardless Balsillie is a good business man....

Moving a struggling US franchise to Hamilton could be a good financial move.
Moving the high revenue, highly successful, long tradition franchise of the montreal canadiens to Hamilton..... yeah not a good move at all.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:00 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Balsillie's a Habs fan? I was under the impression he was a Leaf lover. Oh how I was wrong. In fact, it all makes sense now, trying to get a team in Hamilton to lower the Leafs fan base and profit.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:05 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
The team and the arena make way to much money and someone would have to overpay to even get close to buying this team. Add to that, does Molson not have a clause that if the team is ever for sale they have first right of refusal?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:17 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

wanted to buy the Pens, the Preds, trying to get his hands on Preds shares (the 27% in the article), telling the Habs are for sale...

damn! must be the most active non-owner in the NHL!

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Balsillie's a Habs fan? I was under the impression he was a Leaf lover.
Yeah, everyone assumes that with the Ontario boys

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:55 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Basically it says : Gillet denied with véhémence (wtf that means)
In English it's used as an adverb not a noun. It's he vehemently denied....... meaning he used words stronger than strong (like whiter than white).

As for this news item. If it's true than Basille is an idiot and makes me wonder how did he ever become a millionaire. Must of gotten the answers right on the Regis show. He screwed up the Pittsburg deal. Scared away the Nhl with the Nashville fiasco and now he's in Gillet's bad books. If this was true and he was thinking of buying why would he come public with it?

Last edited by onice: 11-07-2008 at 07:01 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:44 AM
1UP

Well, he just became persona non grata in the NHL. He'll never get a franchise.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Balsillie's a Habs fan? I was under the impression he was a Leaf lover. Oh how I was wrong. In fact, it all makes sense now, trying to get a team in Hamilton to lower the Leafs fan base and profit.
Quote:
Jim Balsillie est reparti avant qu'on ne puisse l'interroger plus longuement sur ses intentions envers le Canadien, une équipe dont il dit être un «fan pur et dur», selon le Globe & Mail, même si sa mère raconte que, garçon, il affectionnait plutôt les Maple Leafs de Toronto. Invité à préciser sa pensée par courriel, Jim Balsillie a refusé d'épiloguer sur le hockey.
He says that he is an hardcore Hab fan, but his mother says that as a young boy he was a Leafs fan.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:59 AM
skysam

I bet he'd be one of those meddling owners. You know, the ones that come down from their luxury box during the intermission to reconfigure the powerplay.

skysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:17 AM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysam View Post
I bet he'd be one of those meddling owners. You know, the ones that come down from their luxury box during the intermission to reconfigure the powerplay.

I doubt this happens.
Only in long island you see this kind of crap

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Carrammeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
well IF the day ever comes Uncle George has to or wants to sell i hope Jim Balsillie buy the Habs .Jim Balsillie is a major Montreal Canadiens fan(lifelong Habsfan) and he would only continue to drive this team ahead for our next stanley cup .
[
Ronald Corey was also a big fan of the Habs so that doesn't mean anything. At least with George, we know that BG has all power hockey wise, not so sure it would be the same with Balsillie and BG wouldnt be here to long if that would change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysam View Post
That is my feeling too

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-07-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Carrammeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:26 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

I'd be super pissed if he was allowed to buy the Habs after he was refused to purchase the Penguins and especially the Predators. It would prove Bettman's love affair with unstable US franchises to the detriment of Canadian teams. You would think that a team like the Predators was much easier to buy than the Habs.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Well, he just became persona non grata in the NHL. He'll never get a franchise.
He made an enemy of Gillet to begin with. George will make sure he doesn't get a franchise. Because he screws up with the beautiful image that the Habs had for their birthday. But more importantly by saying it's for sale, it devalues the franchise. If Gillet really wants to sell, buyers will be waiting for him with an advantage and others will look at it with suspiscion.

Seriously I want teams to come to Canada like the next guy but this moron Balsille is an idiot.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Haddock

Is there anyonne more haïssable than Balsillie around the NHL these days? Keep him away from the Habs please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixTX View Post
I doubt this happens.
Only in long island you see this kind of crap
Or actually, in Tampa, as in the incident that skysam is refering to.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-07-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Pascal

He comes across as a ********* to me..and a liar.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Newhabfan

It's a big marketing operation that did not cost him one dime. I doubt he has any info on that - but he's completely unaccountable for it - you cannot sue him in justice for spreading this kind of rumors.

Let's face it - we could not care less who owns the Habs, all we want is for the team to win. And Gillett understood that and did what must be the hardest part for a "passionate" manager - name the best available management team and let them do their stuff without interfering, through hard times and huge media pressure. Balsilie is too "passionate" about hockey to be a good owner - he would probably try and interfere with hockey decisions which would cause major issues with Bob Gainey or Pierre Boivin. He is the North American version of Alexander Medvedev - the KHL boss.

The same goes for a "Québec based ownership" idea that I heard today - with all the passion and hockey culture it would be hard for them to keep away from hockey decisions - sure recipe for disaster - see the MLSE.

Gillet is a great owner so far mostly because he is great at delegating tasks. We would not want anyone else.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:22 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
That's complete crap. Isn't Gillett a huge Habs fan? Why would he buy the team, stick with them through the hard years and sell them just when they're geting good? Sure, he's a businessman and all, but he could've made more money investing in something else if that was his intent.
I guess you've never heard the saying "buy low and sell high" have you

The only reason I don't want Bailsillie to buy the team if it was for sale (which I greatly doubt anyways) is that he not as rich as Uncle Georgie is and he would be one of those hands on owners that would bust Gainey's b@lls and interfer with the team.

I don't know if you guys follow the markets but RIM has taken a 55% haircut in stock price which is a huge part of the owners wealth. It's also a one trick pony company with almost no diversification. Uncle George has diversified into several different ventures and spread the wealth into several successful baskets and has more then enough resources to own the Habs while keeping them profitable and increasing their value.

Bailsillie should work on buying a starter team such as Nashville or Atlanta and not bother trying to buy the Habs as it's not likely going to happen.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:46 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Looks like Balsillie is in denial mode-

Quote:
According to La Presse, Jim Balsillie of Research in Motion told the newspaper that the 100-year-old club was for sale.

When asked by TSN to respond to the report, Balsillie's lawyer Rich Rodier said, "absolutely not, it couldn't be farther from the truth, there is nothing to it - zero."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2550...s=topStory_nhl

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Habs

You boys will be pissed when I'm the new owner and #51 and #47 are the first trades I demand are made.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
RE-HABS

I think it is stupid that some people think he would move the team!

For one they have the largest attendance in the league, two they are how many times sold out in a row now? Three, their value has double since Gillet bought them and last but not least the Montreal franchise is the oldest most decorated team in the NHL and is the flagship team of the NHL along with the Leafs!!!

This is not the struggling Nashville Predators or the Atlanta Thrashers people, wake up.

And to think Gillet wouldn't sell them is silly on most peoples part as well, like any other businessman he is losing his shirt because of the market (not to mention the canadian dollar value now as well) and his best and biggest asset to sell right now is the Habs and if there is a buyer like Blackberry's owner Basille and willing to pay for the team and arena Gillet is going to listen.

Jim would be a great owner, he has deep pockets and an ego...everything a great owner needs to succeed!

Will the habs be sold? Probably Not, but if they were you couldn't find a better owner than Blackberry.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote