HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is it always Guillaume that copes?

Old
11-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Bonin

vCash: 500
There's no demotion there... at the start of the season it was suppose to be higgins on the 2nd line and Latendresse on the 3rd line... then higgins got injured so Latendresse move up but then when Higgins get back its normal he gets the spot he was suppose to go at the beginning back... It's just back to the normal starting line up none has been domoted yet...

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Lats is clearly mixed up as far as what's his role in this team and knowing Carbo's past as far as communication, though he seems to have improved, I wouldn't be surprise to hear that they haven't talked for a long time.

The guy was mostly in Juniors a scorer who despite being big, did not use his body too much. Here we want him to play in his off-wing and be that punishing physical guy he never was.

Honestly, if I was Gui, despite what everybody tells me how I should be playing including the coaches, I would start playing my own game, the one that made it possible for me to be drafted. If he would start scoring, if he would put his body in front of the net and start scoring those garbage goals, who cares if he destroys a guy or 2, 3 seconds after the said guy had passed the puck....
Do you think Carbonneau would mind if that would happen ? I'd bet he would be thrilled. It's all in Lats mind.

Anyway - why all the ruckus when he had an satisfying start of the season after all ? If he keeps the same rythm - he's on for a 57 points season not bad eh?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Tusk

Poor Lats, he's had such a tough life.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:30 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

A big part of the explanation as of why the Koivu - Tanguay combo is working out so well, is that Lats consistantly gives them the puck and did all the dirty work without the puck... Which was exactly what Koivu and Tanguay needed. More often than not, lines are a question of duos, not trios.

Now, if Higgins just gives the puck to Tanguay and Koivu, and if he lets them do the puck possession job, he could get a career high in goals and points. If he play like a puck hog like last year, the whole line will struggle.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:31 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Lats has 1 point in 7 games.
Actually he got 3 pts in his last 7

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:33 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Who comes up with this ****?

And aside from the Toronto game, neither of these guys has looked amazing this year. And Higgins is clearly better for the Koivu line. He can skate, win battles along the boards, and score close to 30 goals. Oh and you can put him out in any situation.
What the...?

Tanguay has scored 5G and 2A in the 8 next games...
Koivu has got something similar to that as well...

They were game in game out our best line before the third period against the Islanders...

Old
11-07-2008, 09:35 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Actually he got 3 pts in his last 7
I was misinformed then. Still, they juggle the lines for one game and everyone cries foul.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
2 days ago in l'antichambre, they talked about the line changes, and the brought up the point that Guillaume was always getting owned when people came back from injuries. When Higgins came back, Lats ice time got almost split in two while his presence on the powerplay became inexistent. They also say... And I agree on this, that if Sergei was french and quebecer, he would already be in the pressbox and in the fans' doghouse

This lead to my main question:

Is Gui mishandling Gui?
I have been one of the biggest defenders of Lats on this site, but I'm the first to admit that putting Higgins back with Saku and Tanguay was the right move. Lats wasn't really clicking with them the last 2-3 games and Higgins seemed to rejuvenate them last game.

I think people get too caught up in the promotion/demotion crap. We have 3 lines that can score, I think as long as Lats is on one of those 3 he'll get 45-50 points and keep progressing. S.Kost has also had a rough last 5-6 games after a good start the first 3-4 games...hopefully they can get each other going.

That doesn't mean that Lats can't get another look in a few weeks for whatever reason on that line. I think he needs to get back to basic and play the power game like he did the first 6-7 games...play physical, go to the net and create space for his linemates. I think he drserves some credit for Saku and Tanguay's great start, he created some turnovers and some space for them early on.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
well Carbo said clearly that some players were just floating on a line and they where just letting the other players do the job.. he also said the management, was not blind.. so it means only few option... Latendresse (Koivu and Tangs creating the chances) Kostitsyn (both.. see andrei as 3pts but i think its more about Sergei) and the 4th liners.. doesnt really matter or apply as they can be swap anytime.. seeing Latty getting <downgraded> we must assume he is one of those.. so Latendresse as to see himself as the instigator on any line.. somehow he hasnt been shooting and as only be passing so far this season... we all know he must drive to the net and shot.. but really doesnt.. again. despite having a good vision.. he still need to do plus, BEACAUSE we KNOW he can do more.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:38 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Such a strange argument...Latendresse got demoted because Higgins is better and Latendresse has reverted back to Fatendresse.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:40 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Such a strange argument...Latendresse got demoted because Higgins is better and Latendresse has reverted back to Fatendresse.
Wow! Such a great argument...

Old
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
What the...?

Tanguay has scored 5G and 2A in the 8 next games...
Koivu has got something similar to that as well...

They were game in game out our best line before the third period against the Islanders...
What does that have to do with Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn?

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:43 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
What does that have to do with Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn?
I assumed you were speaking about Lats Koivu and Tanguay... Sorry.

Old
11-07-2008, 09:52 AM
mcphee

I don't know often or in how many ways we can say the same thing. Carbo went into camp thinking that

Pleks line says the same.
Koivu/Higgins stay thes ame with an upgrade in Tanguay
S.Kost/Lang/Lats

Injuries made it a difficult camp in terms of playing together, but it seemed clearly to be the intention.

Higgins can't skate thru camp and misses 6 games. Lats is used on the line, gets off to a good start thru 4-5 games, but is a bit inconsistent.

Higgins comes back, th ethought is that if Lats can maintain, then Higgins improvses the Lang line. Lats struggles a bit, the team is behind in a game and in the shuffle, Higgins scores a big goal, on a play where h eread what Koivu would do.

Carbo decides to go ahead with his original intentions, makes some comments about how a few players should step it up, but not in an agressive manner as no one has been horrible.

He also said that thru th eyear, more changes will occur as players go thru ups and downs and he has to adjust to short term needs. So, where has anything changed in terms of how any of these players are perceived ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Habinger

Nothing to see here. You don't lose your spot on the roster due to injury. If Lats would have lit up that little red light behind the goalie a whole bunch of times then maybe he wouldn't have been put on the third line.

Not really much of a demotion anyway, better the third line on one of the highest scoring teams in the league than the first line of a bottom feeder. Now a trade to the Leafs, that would be a demotion

Habinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
2 days ago in l'antichambre, they talked about the line changes, and the brought up the point that Guillaume was always getting owned when people came back from injuries. When Higgins came back, Lats ice time got almost split in two while his presence on the powerplay became inexistent. They also say... And I agree on this, that if Sergei was french and quebecer, he would already be in the pressbox and in the fans' doghouse

This lead to my main question:

Is Gui mishandling Gui?
That is an insult to any thinking man's intelligence.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Tusk

Coping is the key to being a successful adult, at least if you're middle class.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:57 AM
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
No, he is playing where he belongs. Yes, he has already some points in bank but when you see him play, he doesn't have that much drive. He can't follow too much the speed of the game but he did show good things in the first games. The way he has been playing the last games, he deserved a little demotion but the third line still isn't that bad. The third line also plays alot so I don't see it as a big demotion.

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:58 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
I was going to set you up and say, 'hmm, doesn't bother me', but it's become so tiresome that humour doesn't deflect it much anymore.

Old
11-07-2008, 09:59 AM
habfan4

The Habs "third" line still features Robert Lang and Sergei Kostitsyn? Correct? Latendresse isn't going to have to play with Joe Juneau and Niklas Sundstrom is he?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Lord, what fools these mortals be.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:11 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Lord, what fools these mortals be.
I tried 'we've come to seize your berries, not to praise them' on the young'un, hoping to mess her up with the mis-quote, but I'm out of my league.

Old
11-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Lats has 1 point in 7 games.
this.

And plus Lats doesn't always get penalized.. he shouldn't even have been put in the NHL so early to begin with. He also rarely got benched despite not playing well for long periods.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
well, a slumping Serge and Lang is worst than an on fire koivu, an excellent Tanguay and pp time
Sure it is, but not by that much. It's far from last year Smolinski and Lapierre line.

Quote:
I beg to differ, the stats says it another way he had one point recently on the pp

Then, if he is the better player, he should be the one to be put on the third to launch back serge, not gui

He had one point in his last game and Andrei missed 2 games... do the maths.

No, the better player should be on the top 2 lines so that his talent can be exploded at the advantage of the team by playing with better teammates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
It's a demotion but it actually could help him and the whole third line.
It was the planned 3rd line anyway.
Obviously it's a demotion, but it's not huge, Lang and Sergei remain top 6 forwards, not 3rd or 4th liners. He'll have the chance to play offensive hockey as well on this line.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:25 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Pork Chop will ignite the 3rd line. 6 points between them tonight.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote