HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bouwmeester for Nash

Old
11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
I'd do that.
I wouldn't, I'd pass, and no I'm not being a "homer". What's the point of adding Nash to a roster when we are also giving away our best offensive threat? We would be taking a step forward and again step back. Pointless. Don't trade for Nash unless Nash has someone to play with, because on his own, he won't do Florida much good.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I wouldn't, I'd pass, and no I'm not being a "homer". What's the point of adding Nash to a roster when we are also giving away our best offensive threat? We would be taking a step forward and again step back. Pointless. Don't trade for Nash unless Nash has someone to play with, because on his own, he won't do Florida much good.
Would you do Bo for Nash straight up? If you would, I don't see why Horton is such a big deal. He's an underachiever and will most likely be that way his whole career. I would love for him to step his game up but its just not going to happen. He's fast, has a nasty wrist shot, and is actually a good playmaker. But every year he doesn't live up to the expectations.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Would you do Bo for Nash straight up? If you would, I don't see why Horton is such a big deal. He's an underachiever and will most likely be that way his whole career. I would love for him to step his game up but its just not going to happen. He's fast, has a nasty wrist shot, and is actually a good playmaker. But every year he doesn't live up to the expectations.
He slept walked to 30+ goals. will he ever have more motivation to dominate? Who knows. I'm just not crazy about giving up Nathan Horton and Jay Bouwmeester for Rick Nash.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:16 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

Trading Nash for Bouwmeester could turn into a PR/marketing nightmare for CBJ. Nash is the captain and face of the franchise. Also consider that Columbus is under immense pressure to make the playoffs -- they are the only expansion team to have not seen the post-season since their inception (8 years and counting). You trade Nash and you trade your chances of making the playoffs this year and possibly next year. Bouwmeester is a longer term solution.

Yes, they could use a rushing D-man who plays 25+ a night, but not at the expense of scoring. Not this year. If Brassard and Voracek emerge as consistent scoring threats for CBJ (too early to tell, though it looks promising), then this trade could work. This would leave them with a deadly scoring tandem, an all-star D-man, a solid starting goalie, and a promising backup (future 1A) in Mason. A very nice core of players who would be competitive night in and night out (especially under Hitch).

Still, contract length is a huge thing to consider in this trade. FLA would have to add a conditional (based on Bouw being re-signed) and a prospect to get it done I think.

Interesting nonetheless.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:20 PM
catters078

if i was columbus i would wait for next years free agency to try to nab bouwmeester..then they could have both

good proposal though

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Oil Change

vCash: 50
I don`t think Columbus would part with Nash for a defenseman.

Oil Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:24 PM
StrangeVision

Quote:
Nash isn't such a big upgrade that we could afford to lose a couple of our best players. That trade would be to greatly increase our offense, not increase it just a bit. Nash is not Crosby. Granted, he is a great player, it's not enough to give up both Bouwmeester AND Horton.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
FissionFire

If Bouwmeester won't resign with Florida, what makes anyone think he'd find the situation in Columbus so much more appealing that he'd sign a long term contract? If it was just about the money he'd already have an extension.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
$.02 from an unbiased Vancouver fan..

CBJ doesn't touch this deal with a 10 foot pole. Nash is one of the top 5 PF in the league and J-Bo is one of the most over rated "number 1" defensemen in the NHL. Hell, if I'm Howson, I'd be calling about ballard before J-bo.

Anyone that thinks J-bo is an elite NHL defenseman needs to go back and watch his play in the WC last spring. He was easily Canada's worst defenseman; outplayed by 35yo Steve Staios.
At the same time, anyone who thinks Nash is an elite forward in this league needs to look at his production and where he has led his team recently.

He is a damn good forward...but not elite.

Neither is J-Bo

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
He slept walked to 30+ goals. will he ever have more motivation to dominate? Who knows. I'm just not crazy about giving up Nathan Horton and Jay Bouwmeester for Rick Nash.
I wouldn't be crazy about it either to be honest. Horton has a ridiculous amount of potential, but just hasn't stepped like we'd hoped. I'd also hate to give up on him, then see him tear it up on another team. But how many years are gonna have to wait for him geez.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 07:18 PM
IanJebus

absolute NO from columbus, what are you even thinking, Rick Nash is 10 times the player Bouwmeester is and has a longterm contract to boot

IanJebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJebus View Post
absolute NO from columbus, what are you even thinking, Rick Nash is 10 times the player Bouwmeester is and has a longterm contract to boot
Cut the hyperbole.

Nash is great, and while better than Bouw at this point, both of them are budding superstars.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
At the same time, anyone who thinks Nash is an elite forward in this league needs to look at his production and where he has led his team recently.

He is a damn good forward...but not elite.

Neither is J-Bo
Ok, look at the situation from a different angle.

Going back as far as U18, look at what Nash has done on an international stage, when surrounded by high quality teammates, playing against high quality opposition: 44GP - 27G - 27A - 54Pts. Bouwmeester has been a very average performer at the international level: 55GP 5G 9A 14Pts.

One set of numbers is, IMO, elite and one set is not

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote