HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik straight up for Mike Richards

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Gaborik straight up for Mike Richards

Fair deal?

Old
11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Capa*

vCash: 500
Are you kidding? Richards rising star leader on a massively long contract for gaborik an injurgy prone goal scorer who is a UFA. Nah, philly laughs

Old
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
SkullSplitter

probably one of the worst proposals I've heard in a long time.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

No way Philly does that

Old
11-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Acehawk74
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Lecavalier to Montreal for Halak, and 1st has a better chance of happening.... and that obviously ain't happening.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:49 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
This

Old
11-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Fair deal?
In a word, no...

To be nice, an explanation.

Richards: Signed long term, Captain of his team, most likely the best player on his team, heart on his sleeve type guy.

Gaborik: UFA at year's end, likely to demand as much money as possible, has injury problems and hasn't been worth his salt in the playoffs in recent years.

Philadelphia hangs up the phone very quickly, IMO. It would take an atomic bomb to get Richards out of Philly, and even then after the dust settled, he'd probably still be standing there...

~Canucklehead~

Old
11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Surly Furious

All righty then - forgot about that contract.

I hope Gaborik realizes there are a lot of players that other GMS would give more money and years to than they would give him.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Greaves

Why would Philly do this? Trade for a guy who is a UFA on his last year for a soon to be captain of the Flyers who is younger and has been locked up long term? Why?

Old
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
no chance of this ever happening, in shah'a llah.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Terrible deal, Gaborik may have more talent but he's injury prone an upcoming UFA and dosn't have the leadership values of Richards

Old
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Fair deal?

Old
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Click.

That's the sound of Holmgren hanging up.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Blueshirt24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capa View Post
Are you kidding? Richards rising star leader on a massively long contract for gaborik an injurgy prone goal scorer who is a UFA. Nah, philly laughs

As much as I don't disagree, does nobody see the disparity between Philly LAUGHING at Richards straight up for for Gaborik but the Rangers being expected to "start" with Dubinsky AND Staal?

I'm not saying the Rangers want him, and I'm definitely not trying to get into the semantics of "you have to give to get" but, really, besides being a few years younger and thus not as far along in his development, is Dubinsky really that different TO THE RANGERS from Richards TO THE FLYERS?

Further, with Gaborik sitting on the sidelines (I don't think he's really hurting; I think this is Bure in Vancouver all over again), how much is a competent GM really going to pay? Minnesota should be happy with a couple of "help now" roster players and a high prospect/high pick. I don't know why people think he will fetch a franchise player in return at this point.

Either way, back to my original question - if it's valid to laugh in the face of Richards for Gaborik straight up, I say it's just as valid to laugh at the notion of giving up Staal OR Dubinsky in a Gaborik deal. The kids are untouchable; maybe that means the Rags don't have the pieces necessary to make a deal, with Drury and Gomez having NTCs, but either way, I simply can't understand the people who honestly believe Gaborik is worth giving up EITHER of those two, let alone both.

11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Meth Elvis

Quote:
Fair deal?
Only if Philly threw in Carter as well.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Kaktus*

I would think if you are a member since 2002 you can come up with a better proposal? Not this crap.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-07-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old
11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt24 View Post

I'm not saying the Rangers want him, and I'm definitely not trying to get into the semantics of "you have to give to get" but, really, besides being a few years younger and thus not as far along in his development, is Dubinsky really that different TO THE RANGERS from Richards TO THE FLYERS?

as a fan of neither team, I'd say there is a significant difference between the value of Dubinsky and Richards.

and there's a 1 yr age difference between the two. It's not that much difference overall... and the impact these two have right now, IMO, there is a significant difference between the two.

I like Dubinsky a lot as well... I think he's a great young player who's got solid upside and will continue to improve. IMO Richards is a franchise player... a guy that can lead his team, and carry them in tough games... I think he'll be a Hart candidate once he's in his prime. I don't think Dubinsky is at the same level.

no knock against Dubinsky, like I said I think he's a solid player. I just think that Richards will be at another level in their overall impact to a team's success.

edit: as far as value to their own teams, again, Richards is the team captain, a guy they just invested in for 15 years, a cornerstone player in their entire franchise. Dubinsky's value to the Rangers isn't nearly as high... their cornerstone player is Lundqvist, and IMO among the younger future stars on the team, Staal holds more value overall between the two... that'd be my guess at least, as a fan of neither team.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
BrindamoursNose

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

The day I give up a signed Mike Richards at a BARGAIN contract for a UFA Gaborik, is the day I become a Florida fan-of any kind.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

lol to the wall

Old
11-07-2008, 01:42 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt24 View Post
As much as I don't disagree, does nobody see the disparity between Philly LAUGHING at Richards straight up for for Gaborik but the Rangers being expected to "start" with Dubinsky AND Staal?
Well here's the thing: Richards is already an NHL All-Star. He's extremely young (so are Staal and Dubie), but he's signed to a total bargain deal for the next 12 years I think.

Staal and Dubie for Gaborik alone is fair or too much for Gabby, but I'm just saying that it's moreso Richards is proven and locked up to a deal already to be a certified franchise player,whereas Dubie is apparently going to get a huge offer sheet this offseason.

The contracts are a big player in this trade.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I would think if you are a member since 2002 you can come up with a better proposal? Not this crap.
I guess this is a first, someone asking fair value or better for Gaborik. I'm so used to seeing lowball offers of 3rd line grinders and fizzling prospects, I guess someone had to go the other direction, or at least try godammmit, by asking for a player the Wild would actually want.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Probably one of the most overused statement in this board....if so, it's probably not the worst proposal you've heard in a long time...

Old
11-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I guess this is a first, someone asking fair value or better for Gaborik. I'm so used to seeing lowball offers of 3rd line grinders and fizzling prospects, I guess someone had to go the other direction, or at least try godammmit, by asking for a player the Wild would actually want.
lol.. well, you’ve done it

Old
11-07-2008, 01:46 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
That's the thing. You pick one of the worst players possible to put in a proposal. Richards is locked up to an excellent contract and is an all-around guy. He's the Flyers best player.

If Richards a UFA like Gaborik, then we'd be talking different. All the Wild are going to get is a vet, young guys and picks. No one will give up an All-star who is signed for an injury prone UFA All-star

Old
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Click.

That's the sound of Holmgren hanging up.
prior to the click
HOLMER : f@#$sakes Dougie we have been home form the GM meetings for almost a mont and you're still drunk!

Closed Thread