HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik straight up for Mike Richards

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Blueshirt24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
as a fan of neither team, I'd say there is a significant difference between the value of Dubinsky and Richards.

and there's a 1 yr age difference between the two. It's not that much difference overall... and the impact these two have right now, IMO, there is a significant difference between the two.

I like Dubinsky a lot as well... I think he's a great young player who's got solid upside and will continue to improve. IMO Richards is a franchise player... a guy that can lead his team, and carry them in tough games... I think he'll be a Hart candidate once he's in his prime. I don't think Dubinsky is at the same level.

no knock against Dubinsky, like I said I think he's a solid player. I just think that Richards will be at another level in their overall impact to a team's success.

edit: as far as value to their own teams, again, Richards is the team captain, a guy they just invested in for 15 years, a cornerstone player in their entire franchise. Dubinsky's value to the Rangers isn't nearly as high... their cornerstone player is Lundqvist, and IMO among the younger future stars on the team, Staal holds more value overall between the two... that'd be my guess at least, as a fan of neither team.
I don't disagree entirely, but I do think Dubinsky's value is higher to the Rangers than you think. Dubinsky only has one NHL season under his belt. Richards has three, so even though the age difference is negligible, Dubinsky has a little time to develop still before the comparison is entirely fair. Either way, the point I was getting at is less whether or not Dubinsky and Richards are equals (they are, at least in my mind, similar players for their respective teams... to say the least - most believe Dubinsky is the Ranger's future captain) and more why Richards straight up for Gabby is a laugh but two incredibly promising young players, one of whom is not drastically different from Richards to begin with, is expected to be the "starting" price in a Gaborik proposal. Simply put, I believe Gaborik's value, especially with him not playing, is being WAY over estimated. Gaborik should get a LESSER package than Hossa, as he has less impressive career numbers and is a much greater injury concern. Hossa is only 3 years older and has achieved five 75+ point seasons; Gaborik has broken the 70 point barrier once in his career so far (yes, I understand that he plays on a defensive team but it's ridiculous to argue the return for UFA Gabby should be better than the return for UFA Hossa).

11-07-2008, 01:50 PM
SpezDispenser

Personally, if these two guys were UFAs and I could only pick one, it would be Richards by a mile. People have already listed why and I agree with them.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:53 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
big LOL @ this trade proposal.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:55 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I guess this is a first, someone asking fair value or better for Gaborik. I'm so used to seeing lowball offers of 3rd line grinders and fizzling prospects, I guess someone had to go the other direction, or at least try godammmit, by asking for a player the Wild would actually want.
I can't see the Wild getting a player like Richards for Gaborik... soon to be UFAs don't get traded for another team's franchise player... usually they won't get another team's top 2-3 players, considering their contract situation.

trading Gaborik, because of his contract, means that you have to deal with teams that are contending this season... no team that is out of playoffs will give up anything for a soon to be UFA that is most likely to test the UFA market. And among the contending teams, such teams aren't going to change core pieces of a contending team to add any player as you get further into the season... there's just too much risk for such teams to lose the things that most impact their success.

that's why you see deals like Hossa's - for depth guys that the Pens could replace, and prospects... go through players that were dealt in their last contract year before UFA status and I'd guess that the deals are all similar... contending teams take on such players for a pkg that doesn't include any of their current key roster players.

any team that gives up current quality value from their roster for Gaborik, won't be giving up a cornerstone player like Richards... you're then likely looking at similar talent on similar contract, or significantly lesser talent otherwise.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You'd have much better luck targeting Briere.

11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Beakermania*

its pretty obvious this deal is a non-starter.

Closed Thread