HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl-chi

Old
11-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Octavius
Next #18?

vCash: 424
Mtl-chi

To MTL:
Cam Barker

To CHI:
Ryan O'Byrne
David Fischer
2nd '09

Montreal needs a good #4 defencemen, who can help on the PP and has a good transition game. Lately our D has a problem with the transition game and I'm sure the addition of Barker would improve that. O'Byrne will surely improve on that aspect in the future, but we are in a win now mode. Losing Fisher would hurt, but we have enough depth on D. The Habs would need to trade or waiver Dandenault to clear cap space, but I don't think that would be a problem.

Chicago has cap problems, that will force them to trade someone ,when Wisniewski comes back or send Barker to AHL. Trading someone like Sopel might be hard right now and their best bet would be to wait till the deadline. This way they get a good young 3rd/2nd pairing defencemen with a good contract, a very good prospect for the future and a pick in a deep draft.

Last edited by Octavius: 11-07-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Mixed up the pick year :)
Octavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Piffle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
To MTL:
Cam Barker

To CHI:
Ryan O'Byrne
David Fisher
2nd '08

Montreal needs a good #4 defencemen, who can help on the PP and has a good transition game. Lately our D has a problem with the transition game and I'm sure the addition of Barker would improve that. O'Byrne will surely improve on that aspect in the future, but we are in a win now mode. Losing Fisher would hurt, but we have enough depth on D. The Habs would need to trade or waiver Dandenault to clear cap space, but I don't think that would be a problem.

Chicago has cap problems, that will force them to trade someone ,when Wisniewski comes back or send Barker to AHL. Trading someone like Sopel might be hard right now and their best bet would be to wait till the deadline. This way they get a good young 3rd/2nd pairing defencemen with a good contract, a very good prospect for the future and a pick in a deep draft.
Hawks are not going to do any quality for quantity trades. They would want to do something the other way around, where they package picks+prospects to upgrade the team. They have tons of prospects at forward and a couple at defense that are ready for NHL time, but there is no room for them. No reason to add to that pile.

Value-wise, I am not familiar with those MTL prospects to make an intelligent comment.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Fozz

That's too steep a price for overrated Barker.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Behn Wilson

Barker is not going anywhere. He looks great on our first unit powerplay combined on the point with Campbell, who has been regularly stting up his wicked one timer. Barker is firmly entrenched on our top unit now. He is not being moved.

They would waive or trade Sopel before moving Barker if they had to clear up space.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
It's a fair trade valuewise I would say. But does Chicago want to subtract from their d-core. O'Byrne isn't going to fill Barker's hole and if Chicago is serious about playoffs this year, which I think they are, I don't see them doing this deal.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
shao01

Overpayment from MTL. You'd have to take out O'Bryne or Fisher for the deal to be fair.

shao01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
It's a fair trade valuewise I would say. But does Chicago want to subtract from their d-core. O'Byrne isn't going to fill Barker's hole and if Chicago is serious about playoffs this year, which I think they are, I don't see them doing this deal.
Barker is a keeper. We finally have a solid pairing to man the PP which has been a sore point on this team for years. If aint aint broke, dont fix it. If we didnt have a moron for GM paying 12 million to goalies this year, he would have opened camp with the team and Robert Lang (or someone else) would be here to center our second line and Sharp could go back to wing with Toews and kane where he belongs.

Old
11-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't know if it's this way or not, but if Barker ever did become available, I would presume it'd be because Chicago feels like he's getting squeezed out of a crowded enough young D group, and they wanted to address a need at a different position? Campbell, Seabrook, Keith are already great minutes for a top-3. With Wisniewski coming back and possible progression from some others, maybe Barker could become a marketable asset at some point... I don't see that such a point has arrived... but if it did, you'd think they maybe wouldn't be looking for another young D like O'Byrne for him?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't know if it's this way or not, but if Barker ever did become available, I would presume it'd be because Chicago feels like he's getting squeezed out of a crowded enough young D group, and they wanted to address a need at a different position? Campbell, Seabrook, Keith are already great minutes for a top-3. With Wisniewski coming back and possible progression from some others, maybe Barker could become a marketable asset at some point... I don't see that such a point has arrived... but if it did, you'd think they maybe wouldn't be looking for another young D like O'Byrne for him?

He has a unique skill set that none of our other dmen offer. We have needed someone who can tee it up from the point for a long time. The powerplay has been abyssmal for as long as I can remember. Campbell is a great setup guy back there but we needed a Doug Wilson/Gary Suter type who could blast away a shot and that is exactly what barker is offering. And he adds size too which the Hawks d is short on.

Wiz is a third pairing physical dman, he not a top 4 guy. Barker is a high end skill guy with size. They arent goign to get rid of him and if they did it would be for a similar high end dman or forward, not a package of fringe guys and picks.

Old
11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
8BostonRocker24

Another Montreal 3 for 1 trade???

Gee, didn't see this one coming...

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

I still consider Cam Barker bluechip..He's a 22year old defenceman with top pairing potential. He's got that beautiful slapper and can play well on ES&PP. With some guidance he can become quite good.

Fischer on the other hand is a defenceman progressing in a downward motion, looking more and more like a bust as the years go by..(IMO)

O'Bryne is a hard hitting defensive defenceman who will play 4-6D on your team..The exact role Wisnewski already fills on Chicago.

And "2nd '08" not sure how you'd go around trading a 2008 draft pick seeing as 2008 Draft already happened..? And even if you do mean 2009, draft picks even 2nd round picks have very little value in the real world.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:10 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
O'Byrne isn't going to fill Barker's hole
And even if he is, it's none of our business what they do in their personal lives.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
And even if he is, it's none of our business what they do in their personal lives.
LOL, that was pretty good.

Old
11-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Octavius
Next #18?

vCash: 424
The reason I thought this would work is that Barker is in a bit of a jam, because of his cap hit. If they send him back to AHL once Wisniewski is healthy, it is just a waste of his talent. He is a potential top pairing defenceman, just like Fischer. He has more of a chance then Fischer, but him not getting enough NHL time can hinder his development.

Octavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
The reason I thought this would work is that Barker is in a bit of a jam, because of his cap hit. If they send him back to AHL once Wisniewski is healthy, it is just a waste of his talent. He is a potential top pairing defenceman, just like Fischer. He has more of a chance then Fischer, but him not getting enough NHL time can hinder his development.
Barker will NEVER see the AHL again, hes here to stay. If youve seen him play on the Hawks that is clear as day. He is a big reason (along with Quinville and Brouwer also being called up) for their recent resurgence.

Wiz has nothing to do with him. Barker is now and will remain Top 4, him and Campbell play well together. Wiz will replace / rotate with either Sopel or Aaron Johnson on the bottom pairing. I think you are severely overestimating the effect of Wiz's return.

Old
11-07-2008, 03:24 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Fischer on the other hand is a defenceman progressing in a downward motion, looking more and more like a bust as the years go by..(IMO)
Uhh.. what? How do you figure?

Fischer played his best hockey during the second half of last season.. and he's started off this season pretty strongly.

I'd say Fischer is progressing very slowly.. but most definitely not in a downward motion. He still has top-4 potential.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
When they drafted him they expected him to be a long-term project type of guy who would develop slowly, and they've been proven correct. He is progressing just fine per the Habs projections and should be in the AHL next season.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote