HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs for sale?!

Old
11-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 500
He's not selling, La Presse fished it out of their *****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
To Rouyn-Noranda E3
To Kuujuaq E4

Kuujuaq heh? Talk about the Siberia of hockey, forget the Islanders and the Thrashers, we got a new winner.

Last edited by Phil Parent: 11-07-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Quote:
Canadiens for SALE?
According to team officials, NO!

According to team officials the Canadiens are not for sale. The question that should be asked is why? First and foremost, owner George Gillett is a businessman and is about making a profit. He has been to the top of the financial mountain and been buried underneath an avalanche of debt before, but he has always had a knack of eventually making money.

As Sports Illustrated's Michael Farber stated during the Andrew Carter morning show; "everything is for sale"
http://www.cjad.com/node/531474

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:36 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
That's complete crap. Isn't Gillett a huge Habs fan? Why would he buy the team, stick with them through the hard years and sell them just when they're geting good? Sure, he's a businessman and all, but he could've made more money investing in something else if that was his intent.
LOL

Think about what you just said there. Hrmm maybe to MAKE $?

Buy a team when they're **** and value is low.... sell a team when they're the best team in the NHL and value is high... hrmmm wonder how that makes any sense

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:45 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

If Ballsillie gets the Habs and somehow tries to move them, the dude's head is going to get cut... I'm not even joking... the guy would get killed, literally.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Etienne

By reading the article and then Sophie Cousineau's blog, it looks like the interview with Balsillie was about somethinge else entirely and toward the end they talked about hockey. It wasn't until then that he said the team is for sale. He can be:

a) doing a publicity stunt
b) suffering from a bizarre sense of humor
c) crazier than a cat

I choose "all of the above"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
If Ballsillie gets the Habs and somehow tries to move them, the dude's head is going to get cut... I'm not even joking... the guy would get killed, literally.
I know... even the jihads would be pale with envy. It'd also pretty much hand the PQ what they need to break up with the ROC.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-07-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Etienne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:52 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
I know... even the jihads would be pale with envy. It'd also pretty much hand the PQ what they need to break up with the ROC.
Dude I happen to know for a fact that if some guy tried to by the team and move it somewhere else, before the deal would ever go down either the NHL would do everything in their power to stop it or a fan of some kind would go ******* and assassinate the guy.

You might think I'm joking but I'm not. I guarantee one crazy person would do something. It's like if they tried to move the New England Patriots..... I doubt that would go over well with anybody who is a fan, infact people would go downright crazy.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Dude I happen to know for a fact that if some guy tried to by the team and move it somewhere else, before the deal would ever go down either the NHL would do everything in their power to stop it or a fan of some kind would go ******* and assassinate the guy.

You might think I'm joking but I'm not. I guarantee one crazy person would do something. It's like if they tried to move the New England Patriots..... I doubt that would go over well with anybody who is a fan, infact people would go downright crazy.
I could very much happen, and that fan could very much be among us...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Uber Coca

Like I red in La Presse, this isn't the first time Jim Balsillie goes out and make supiscious comments about an NHL team. He always wanted one and never could get one, it was a delicous time for him to simply cause a reaction. Gary Bettman doesn't look to like this guy since he's around a lot and adds nothing but controversy. That said, there is no way the Habs are for sale since the team is doing well and the revenue, directly linked in the success of the franchise, is at his peak.

Balsillie just look like a kid that want something and need to tell the world about it.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Habnot

Everyone is discounting the economy and how it's impacting organizations that are leveraged to the neck. Add Liverpool, an acquisition made with little capital and much leverage and it would not be a stretch the Gillett is in a financial mess.

Furthermore, selling the Habs is easier than selling his 50% share in Liverpool. He has been in a messy fight with Tim Hicks for over a year trying to gain control of Liverpool. That transaction could not be completed quickly.

Let's not forget that Gillett has a history of near bankruptcy.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Haddock

Now is damage control time. I'm not willing to believe the affirmations made by Balsillie's lawyer before La Presse's. Jean-François Bégin is one of the most serious and respected sport journalist in town. In fact, he's one of the few real journalist covering sport left.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Ross MacLochness

Don't know if it was mentioned, but Jimmy's lawyer was on hockeycentral at noon and apparently Uncle George is PISSED at this ridiculous story. Balsillie sent a letter of apology/explanation to Gillett. His lawyer also denies Jim ever mentioned the Habs being for sale, he's a Habs fan, but never once had a discussion with George about owning a part of the team. George has no interest in selling.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:04 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Don't know if it was mentioned, but Jimmy's lawyer was on hockeycentral at noon and apparently Uncle George is PISSED at this ridiculous story. Balsillie sent a letter of apology/explanation to Gillett. His lawyer also denies Jim ever mentioned the Habs being for sale, he's a Habs fan, but never once had a discussion with George about owning a part of the team. George has no interest in selling.
Balsillie is as pissed as Gillet, that is why he is clearing the air.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Shred

Balsillie is a troll. He's trolling the NHL and getting his blackberries talked about for free. He gets tons of attention and loves it. It's a win/win situation for him.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL

Think about what you just said there. Hrmm maybe to MAKE $?

Buy a team when they're **** and value is low.... sell a team when they're the best team in the NHL and value is high... hrmmm wonder how that makes any sense
He could've made more money investing in something else, though, and it would've been less risky. Clearly, part of his motivation was that he wanted to have his own hockey team and make it successful.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Skrudland

Balsillie is obviously a huge fan of hockey and anyone that is a huge fan of hockey wouldn't move a team like the Canadiens regardless of what team they cheer for. I could never imagine the league without the Leafs or Bruins (and the rivalries they represent) no matter how much I dislike them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Bahahahahahahahaha!

Skrudland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:50 PM
InPriceWeTrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
The idea of that isnt even remotely possible.

Pretty positive the NHL would never allow any original 6 team too move, or would any owner even consider it

And if they did move, the NHL most likely had gone under, and we'd be watching the KHL

InPriceWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Richer

I don't really agree with most other on this one. I would not be suprised if this had some legs. Uncle George is one of the most heavily leveraged owners in the NHL. The habs have one of the highest debt load of any NHL team. Being highly leveraged in this enviroment is not where the smart money wants to be.

George has to refinance his Liverpool loans, he might have a hell of a time doing this, good businesses have a tough time getting loans George will have a tougher time. He may not want to sell the team but it may come to the point where he needs to to remain solvent he has to sell his best assets to cover the cost of his bad ones. The habs are his best asset. Just like a lot of CEO's and hedge funds didn't want to sell but had to when the margin cleck phoned he could be in a position where if he doesn't sell the team the bankrupcy courts may do if for him. This has happened to George before and he seems not to have learned many lessons from that.

Richer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Where's the tape??? Let's ask François Gagnon....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:54 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Like I red in La Presse, this isn't the first time Jim Balsillie goes out and make supiscious comments about an NHL team. He always wanted one and never could get one, it was a delicous time for him to simply cause a reaction. Gary Bettman doesn't look to like this guy since he's around a lot and adds nothing but controversy. That said, there is no way the Habs are for sale since the team is doing well and the revenue, directly linked in the success of the franchise, is at his peak.

Balsillie just look like a kid that want something and need to tell the world about it.
From what I have read in the papers here in ontario balsillie never made such a statement. I bet what he said was that he would love to buy the habs one day if it became available and la presses made it sound like a hole different story. The ones that make the controversy are the media and they have there way with every one and have the ability to make anyone look bad.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Now is damage control time. I'm not willing to believe the affirmations made by Balsillie's lawyer before La Presse's. Jean-François Bégin is one of the most serious and respected sport journalist in town. In fact, he's one of the few real journalist covering sport left.
He could very well be but...

Quote:
La Presse persiste et signe

Les journalistes du quotidien de la rue St-Jacques maintiennent toutefois leur version. Au cours d'un entretien téléphonique, le journaliste Jean-François Bégin, qui n'était pas présent lors de l'entrevue qu'a accordé Balsillie à Sophie Cousineau et au photographe Bernard Brault, se demande bien pourquoi sa consoeur aurait placé des mots dans la bouche de l'homme d'affaires, comme le prétend maintenant le clan Balsillie-Rodier.
he was NOT there, so how does he know ?

and if we take a minute to think about it, here's another interesting part :

Quote:
Selon Bégin, sa consoeur a dit à Balsillie qu'il était dommage que le club montréalais n'était pas à vendre, ce à quoi il a rétorqué "qu'il l'était bien".
1. qu'il était... a vendre ? (it is... for sale ?)
2. qu'il était... dommage ? (it is... sad ?)

the way it's written, it's option #2. Obvious.

can we suggest the 254.6011 to the journalist please ?

source : http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/263121.html

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:43 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
He could very well be but...

he was NOT there, so how does he know ?

and if we take a minute to think about it, here's another interesting part :

1. qu'il était... a vendre ? (it is... for sale ?)
2. qu'il était... dommage ? (it is... sad ?)

the way it's written, it's option #2. Obvious.

can we suggest the 254.6011 to the journalist please ?

source : http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/263121.html
They way it's written suggests option #1 because they last thing mentioned was that it was a vendre and not that it was dommage. Isn't that the rule in French? If you use "Il" or any pronom, it has to replace the last sujet mentionned or something? But I think he meant option #2. They should specify it between brackets because it's confusing...It also changes the whole context.

Example I just made up: Je mange une pomme avec une fille. Elle est bonne. Is elle the girl or the apple?

Last edited by usernam: 11-07-2008 at 06:50 PM.
usernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:21 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
They way it's written suggests option #1 because they last thing mentioned was that it was a vendre and not that it was dommage. Isn't that the rule in French? If you use "Il" or any pronom, it has to replace the last sujet mentionned or something? But I think he meant option #2. They should specify it between brackets because it's confusing...It also changes the whole context.

Example I just made up: Je mange une pomme avec une fille. Elle est bonne. Is elle the girl or the apple?
it (should) replace a subject in the previous sentence, not necessarly the previous subject. In this case there's two "subjects", 1. Il (Il est dommage) and 2. Canadiens.

Happens a lot with french medias in sports, most sports journalists are NOT fully bilingual - and thoses doing the translation arent either... so, between what a guy said and what they think a guy said... well... you know...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:37 PM
panayiotis

credit crunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
Just in from Cyberpresse...Jim Basilie says the Habs are for sale!!

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...l-a-vendre.php
George Gillette has been trying to get money out of his montreal canadians side of the business for awhile. he tried to sell all or part of the team to red bull guy maybe last summer. He is stretched to the max with Hicks in Liverpool. I am sure RIM dude is telling the truth. He must have been approached by the investment firm Gillette has hired. If i remember correctly he only put down 10 mill of his own money to buy the operation from molson. So he is still carrying a load of dedt from the habs purchase. Dealing with lots cash. I am sure there is a couple of well funded swiss bank accounts. To be rich ahhhhhhhhhhhh

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
George Gillette has been trying to get money out of his montreal canadians side of the business for awhile. he tried to sell all or part of the team to red bull guy maybe last summer. He is stretched to the max with Hicks in Liverpool. I am sure RIM dude is telling the truth. He must have been approached by the investment firm Gillette has hired. If i remember correctly he only put down 10 mill of his own money to buy the operation from molson. So he is still carrying a load of dedt from the habs purchase. Dealing with lots cash. I am sure there is a couple of well funded swiss bank accounts. To be rich ahhhhhhhhhhhh
You have a link for any of this red bull stuff or else its getting deleted...

Especially since Balsillie retracted his side and George Vehemetely denied his.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote