HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

TRADE: Flyers trade Downie, Eminger & a 4th for Matt Carle & 3rd Round Pick

Old
11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He already had one.

Is 12 games REALLY a fair assesment in terms of a change of scenery?

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Kambo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I just realized the meet the team party is on the 17th. I swear to christ I will ****ing ***** at Stevens. Mark my words muther ****er, I'm coming for you. And Homer, you're ****ing next if you don't can his ass in the next week and a half.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
I'll wait to see how Carle does, maybe he'll do good enough that we can put him in a trade for Bouwmeester

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I just realized the meet the team party is on the 17th. I swear to christ I will ****ing ***** at Stevens. Mark my words muther ****er, I'm coming for you. And Homer, you're ****ing next if you don't can his ass in the next week and a half.
There's a team party on the 17th?

Old
11-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
All downie accomplished as a Flyer (coaches fault or not) was a 25 games suspension, some fights and at least 1(maybe 2) game costing mistakes in the ECF.
He got a total of 54 professional games under his belt before Stevens lit him up in public and had him on the ice in the ECF. No rookie deserves the treatment Downie got last year...and the blame for that falls squarely on BOTH Holmgren and Stevens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
Mother of God.

Stop trying to find the next Coburn and try something like bring in a proven top 4 defensmen next time, Holmer.
Trading for a player like Carle--better than Eminger--isn't a bad move, the problem with Carle is his contract and how he's played since signing it (why he's being traded at all).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
TSN (and others) had a reported rumor earlier this week about Carle possibly being traded to Van for Ohlund, a rumor shot down by the Canucks. But the article on TSN also mentioned that TB is looking to shed salary and Kolzig could be next.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
There's a team party on the 17th?
That's when the meet the team is supposed to be.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

In other news, somehow Kukkonen remains on the team despite the team refusing to use him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
TSN (and others) had a reported rumor earlier this week about Carle possibly being traded to Van for Ohlund, a rumor shot down by the Canucks. But the article on TSN also mentioned that TB is looking to shed salary and Kolzig could be next.
Tampa should have thought about that when they signed 70 forwards in the off-season and signed 3 more guys since the start of training camp.

Old
11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
I wish we could have a Steve Downie appreciation thread, but since Downie was blackballed by Steven's last season the thread would pretty much contain the McAmmond footage and goal highlight.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
I saw that this evening.

I would have rather tried to pull Ohlund out of Vancouver...he's exactly the style defenseman we could use right now. I think him and Sbisa would have been great on the second pairing.

Coburn - Timonen
Sbisa - Ohlund
Parent - Jones

...what the hell do I know?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Casey Tatum

Does this mean we're going to drop another D-man since he's cleary going to be in? Possibly traded?

Casey Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
All the words in the English language cannot describe how ****ing pissed the **** off I am right now. **** you, John Stevens, you ass clown muther ****ing *******. This seriously ruined my ****ing night now, because that wannabe ******* ****ing buried him. I hope he falls off a ****ing cliff.

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****!

At least on the bright side, Downie will actually get to ****ing play normal ****ing minutes. And peace out Eminger.
Kambo I am right there with you!! I was so ticked I immediately had to go outside and have a smoke just to calm the **** down!! Homer is losing his god like status in a hurry. I wonder how he likes being Stevens ***** cause that is esentially what he is now. Does your bum hurt Holmgren cause you just got ****ed!!! Did the Tampa GM at least give you a complimentary jar of vaseline after he dry humped you Holmgren??
If anything Carle and a 4th for Eminger and a 3rd but adding Downie would have made more sense?? Adding Downie makes NONE!!!!!! Thanks Stevens you are now on MY most hated people of all time!!!!!!!!! Where is Kevin Dank??? We are due for a good rant around here not just a little one like he has been teasing us with lately

FlyersWillRockU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
flyersguy33*

In other news, For all you people at home on this Friday night. ESPN Classic is showing the Boston College vs. Notre Dame game LIVE.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
i don't fully understand this trade..what a waste of great draft pick on eminger.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Tatum View Post
Does this mean we're going to drop another D-man since he's cleary going to be in? Possibly traded?
They only replace Eminger, there's no need for it.

Old
11-07-2008, 06:35 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

I don't think its that bad of a deal, Carle can turn out to be very good for us. For a fan base and team that is just dying for a good defense, there is a lot of whining in here. I liked Downie and all, but for Christs sake people look at the forwards we have available!! I liked what Nodl brought to the team more than Downie, and it seems that Holms thought the same thing. Downie would, and still will be under the microscope by officials for a long time...not something that we need right now. We keep our core, and keep guys like Giroux and JVR.

Homer admitted his mistake on Eminger (apparently) and picked up a defender that can actually play. He may not be as proven as others, but to get guys like that it would take a bigger chip, like Giroux, Lupul, JVR...guys we don't want to give up.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
In other news, For all you people at home on this Friday night. ESPN Classic is showing the Boston College vs. Notre Dame game LIVE.
yeah man just turned that game on now.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I saw that this evening.

I would have rather tried to pull Ohlund out of Vancouver...he's exactly the style defenseman we could use right now. I think him and Sbisa would have been great on the second pairing.

Coburn - Timonen
Sbisa - Ohlund
Parent - Jones

...what the hell do I know?
His contract is up, I assume. Any idea what he is requesting? Any reports?

Old
11-07-2008, 06:36 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Downie was VASTLY overrated by this board.
(there, I said it)
Yup, the ONLY real asset he has shown at this point is that he can muck in the corner. That's not good enough for a first round pick.

Well, all of you wanted your 2nd pairing dman so there you have it. And to think you guys don't like the price we paid??? Holy **** talk about hypocrates. You're fine with offering someone like Lupul for Finger but ***** at getting Carle for Downie and Eminger??? All I can say is WOW.

Carle will bobably come in and be our 3rd best dman tomorrow night. That may not be saying much but he IS an improvement over Sbisa, Eminger, Vannanen, Alberts and Kukkonen. Sbisa may eventually be better than Carle but right now Carle IS better than those other 4.

I thought Eminger was going to work out ok for us but I'm actually excited about this deal. I was actually hoping we'd trade to get Carle last year when SJS were disappointed with him. I thought then that it might only cost us Umberger and as it turns out, I prefer to have the price to get him and 2 3rds (the sum of the 2 trades) for the cost of Downie and John Carlson as opposed to it costing us Sbisa. I may not like Carles cap hit but he is still a solid prospect.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Casey Tatum

Quote:
They only replace Eminger, there's no need for it.
True but what about when Parent and Jones come back?

Casey Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Downie was VASTLY overrated by this board.
(there, I said it)
I agree. Not that I think he wont be good but i dont see him as much more than a very good 3rd liner and will pick you up 40 points or a 2nd liner on a bad team (never higher than 3rd in philly IMO). Eminger has been a bust and Carle has shown that he can be good and is still very young. I dont think we got a great deal exactly but at the same time you need to over pay when your desperate and right now we are desperate for a dman.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
His contract is up, I assume. Any idea what he is requesting? Any reports?
Yes, he's in a contract year. No clue, he's been a horse for that club though.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
I don't think its that bad of a deal, Carle can turn out to be very good for us. For a fan base and team that is just dying for a good defense, there is a lot of whining in here. I liked Downie and all, but for Christs sake people look at the forwards we have available!! I liked what Nodl brought to the team more than Downie, and it seems that Holms thought the same thing. Downie would, and still will be under the microscope by officials for a long time...not something that we need right now. We keep our core, and keep guys like Giroux and JVR.

Homer admitted his mistake on Eminger (apparently) and picked up a defender that can actually play. He may not be as proven as others, but to get guys like that it would take a bigger chip, like Giroux, Lupul, JVR...guys we don't want to give up.
I'm all for trading Lupul for a truly legit guy...the only reason Carle is even available in a deal is because he's GROSSLY overpaid for the play he's put on the ice. Having Carle and Jones on a team could be humorous for a cap efficiency perspective...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Yes, he's in a contract year. No clue, he's been a horse for that club though.
Plus he hs a no-trade clause. That may factor into the matter.

Old
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
In other news, somehow Kukkonen remains on the team despite the team refusing to use him.
Kukkonen certainly didn't earn himself any more icetime with that absolutely brutal play on the 2nd goal last night. He's a 7th defenseman, no more, no less.

As for Downie, he's caught up in a numbers game. While Steve has some very good qualities (passing, board work) playing a top 3 line role at his size, with well below average foot speed was going to be an issue.

With Nodl, Giroux and JVR (who I believe have all passed Downie in the Flyers minds) plus the group of forwards we already have it was going to be very very difficult for him to ever play a major role on this team.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote