HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TRADE: Flyers trade Downie, Eminger & a 4th for Matt Carle & 3rd Round Pick

Old
11-07-2008, 07:39 PM
JGalt

vCash: 500
Sucks that Downie didn't get a chance here, but Carle is entirely capable of making this into a great deal.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:40 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm all for trading Lupul for a truly legit guy...the only reason Carle is even available in a deal is because he's GROSSLY overpaid for the play he's put on the ice. Having Carle and Jones on a team could be humorous for a cap efficiency perspective...
You might be all for it, but Holmgren just resigned him for another 4 years, and the Flyers have ALWAYS been a straight up organization when it comes to upholding contracts. One of the biggest reasons IMO that Knuble is still on the team.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Plus he hs a no-trade clause. That may factor into the matter.
Here's an article for you sir...

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...5-373354ef9e4f

Quote:
Mike Gillis scoffed at a report that suggested he has explored trade talks with Tampa Bay because contract extension negotiations with the agent for Mattias Ohlund aren't going anywhere.

"No," responded the Vancouver Canucks general manager. "It's remarkable to me that this information is being reported in this way. People can say what they want."

The report suggested that supposed stalled negotiations have fueled interest in moving Ohlund -- who has a no-trade clause -- to the Lightning in exchange for defenceman Matt Carle. It could also be a case of gamesmanship to up the ante for Ohlund, 32, who is earning $3.5 million US in the final year of his deal.

The Lightning are under the $56.7 million salary cap, but with $54.9 million committed, they want to shed salary. Carle, 24, has three more years at a cap hit of $3.437 million and would bring cost certainty, but he hasn't performed well since collecting 42 points (11-31) with San Jose in the 2006-07 season. Carle had just 15 points last season and just two through his first 11 games this season

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:41 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I've been a fan of Carle and has been hoping he'd pull through and break out, he's yet to prove it, but I think the potential is there, it's just sitting on the coach eating cheetos and watching re-runs of M.A.S.H. Downie was never looked upon too well, at least from what it seems like, and Eminger didn't play well in my eyes but was never really given a true opportunity to prove himself. Carle's contract ****ing sucks, in all honesty.

Who knows, some people just don't play well with others, and some play great with others. Maybe this could jump start Carle's breakout. Until then, I'll be holding my breath and hoping for the best.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
Is 12 games REALLY a fair assesment in terms of a change of scenery?
I don't know, they were willing to trade him for two guys who aren't exactly proven commodities.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
You might be all for it, but Holmgren just resigned him for another 4 years, and the Flyers have ALWAYS been a straight up organization when it comes to upholding contracts. One of the biggest reasons IMO that Knuble is still on the team.
Same reason why Hatcher and Rathje were never traded. Still, as noble as this seems, it often times causes a lot of frustration with Flyers fans...

Edit: BTW, I just got back from a business trip. When did this trade go through? Any chance he plays tomorrow?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Kukkonen certainly didn't earn himself any more icetime with that absolutely brutal play on the 2nd goal last night. He's a 7th defenseman, no more, no less.
I said it last night, he sat for 8 of 9 games, the 1 he played he didn't even play defense the whole game, only did because Alberts completely lost his ****. He clearly wasn't up to the speed of the game and being paired with 18 year-old Luca Sbisa wasn't going to help him. The same thing happened last year when he sat for a long time. He had two bad games and then rounded into a far better form. I think he just needs to play.

My point though is that if they're not going to use him, he shouldn't be on the team regardless of whether or not he's good enough to play.

Old
11-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Viller

Downie would never had a spot on this team anyway, John Stevens or not... Too many players coming up and they already have a very good set of wingers.

People on this board amaze me sometimes, most of you have been *****ing for a defenseman since the summer. Now that he gets a top 4 guy that cost us a 3rd pairing D and a current 4th liner wich would have never touched our top6 foward, maybe not even our top 9... You guys still keep yapping?

If we had not given a 1st rounder for Eminger, I bet he wouldn't even had made this team. He's been absolutely horrible for the Flyers, I was optimistic about him this summer but after seeing him a few times, hes just not good or Pitkanen stupid, one of the 2... Downie had his moments, like getting a 25 games suspension and sucker punching Jason Blake in the face, aside from that, not much. He's ok offensively but horrible in the defensive zone. Also religiously takes stupid penalties at the worst moments and gets out of position for a hit...

I guess I'm one of the few that likes this trade. Carle is a massive upgrade over Eminger, Alberts and Kukkonen. Hes also gonna be around for a long while unless hes what it takes to get Jay Bouwmeester at the deadline

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Same reason why Hatcher and Rathje were never traded. Still, as noble as this seems, it often times causes a lot of frustration with Flyers fans...

Edit: BTW, I just got back from a business trip. When did this trade go through? Any chance he plays tomorrow?
Within the last 90 minutes I assume.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
He should play. He just has to go right across the hall.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:47 PM
phlocky

Quote:
I'm all for trading Lupul for a truly legit guy...the only reason Carle is even available in a deal is because he's GROSSLY overpaid for the play he's put on the ice. Having Carle and Jones on a team could be humorous for a cap efficiency perspective...

This is the only thing that concerns me, having both Carle and Jones at their current contracts. IF Carle doesn't seem to be turning his game around with us, I CAN actually see us using him in a trade at the deadline to get J-Bo. At worse case, Jones and Parent come back and Carle gets bumped to the 3rd pairing making him expendable. Best case he turns his game around and he and Jones make a solid 2nd pairing letting Parent develope for a year or so on the 3rd pairing.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He already had one.
So had Lupul.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Casey Tatum

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
This is the only thing that concerns me, having both Carle and Jones at their current contracts. IF Carle doesn't seem to be turning his game around with us, I CAN actually see us using him in a trade at the deadline to get J-Bo. At worse case, Jones and Parent come back and Carle gets bumped to the 3rd pairing making him expendable. Best case he turns his game around and he and Jones make a solid 2nd pairing letting Parent develope for a year or so on the 3rd pairing.
Thats why I was wondering if someone on the back end is getting moved.

Casey Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
So had Lupul.
I'm going to let people in on a secret. Lupul hasn't been as great as people think. This year's Lupul looks a lot like the one we traded for from Edmonton.

Old
11-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Looks like Homer isnt the God Genious man anymore.

Mark this up to Homer's **** up #2

(#1 being trading for Eminger)

Quote:
For those scoring at home, Matt Carle is signed at $3.437M through 2011-12...and hasn't lived up to that deal at all.
i'm really losing patience with holmgren at this point...he could have done better and it feels like he's just giving into stevens. THAT'S the real problem. he had a great start but he hasn't followed it up with much over the past few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
Why do I get the feeling this is going to be "Patrick Sharp II: Revenge of the Downie?"
because it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I dont know the numbers, but does this man Shanahan a possibility now?
who cares?

and carle's cap hit is another thing to consider. UGGGHHH, just like charlie brown. this is so frustrating.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:54 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 929
Comments from a Tampa Bay blog:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/....html#comments

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Miss Mess

Sounds good to me. But it would've been better if we got rid of Alberts instead lol.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
This is just a bizarre statement...the Flyers just traded two guys they signed to deals...why is Lupul any different? Knuble doesn't have a ton of value and is CLEARLY one of the leaders on this team. That's why he hasn't moved, same goes for Hatcher...who for all his faults on the ice, was certainly an extremely important player with the young guys on this club and deserves tons of credit for that.

Flyers don't have too many qualms about cutting deals...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Jim Schennson
Bros.

Well, my Downie jersey should make for a nice dish rag.

Jim Schennson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:00 PM
jb**

Quote:
no kidding
jones and carle= over 6mm in salary
what a waste. homer is back on the sauce. he has ahd a losuy summer and beginning this year

6mm for 2 bototm pairing dman right now, why

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Death of a Martian

Awwww ****. Just got home and this is the news I get?

Poor Steve Downie, I really really liked him. We never really gave the kid a legitimate chance, it was like he was walking on eggshells the whole time he was here.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
MountainHawk

Flyers better bench Gagne tomorrow. Downie will probably cheapshot him.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
This sucks.

Im glad Eminger is gone but Downie is my favorite player. This is worse than loosing Lindros.
Stop smoking crack

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Flyers better bench Gagne tomorrow. Downie will probably cheapshot him.
From Norfolk?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Tampa Bay fans don't seem too impressed with this either. Just give them some time though and they'll come to love Downie as much as we have.

god damn it.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote