HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs lose the shootout to Columbus 4-3

Old
11-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Bretvincent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
I agree with the Higgins and Latendresse statements, but Laraque skated well?? Whil his puck possession was impressive, especially in the offensive zone, i thought his skating made last year's Latendresse like a Cheetah on crack.
I meant it was better than the awful that was the last few games to just bad today

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretvincent View Post
I meant it was better than the awful that was the last few games to just bad today
He stsill looks like a snail on skates though

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:23 AM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
It would be great if we played a full 60 minute game this season. The effort just doesn't seem to be there. Not sure if it's due to the long layoff between games or if the team expects the other teams to roll over for them.
I agree, I dont think we've seen them play a full 60 mintues yet. Crazy how our record is still really good, I dunno.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:39 AM
m00ks

- Halak's glaring weakness is his rebound control. Other than that, he's a good goalie. He was "ok" tonight. Very weak on the second goal but even the best goalies give those up once in a while.

- Yes Koivu's penalty was bad, but he was hardly responsible for what happened after. It was 4 on 4 and there's no excuse coughing up 2 goals when this scenario is suppose to favor your team's style of play.

- Officiating is still crap shoot and it doesn't look like it'll change. Might as well get used to it.

- I hope they don't take TO lightly.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:40 AM
kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
I agree, I dont think we've seen them play a full 60 mintues yet. Crazy how our record is still really good, I dunno.
I don't know if some of you guys watch hockey or just Habs games, but teams don't really play the "60 minute game" that most of the people on here seem to think should be the norm.

We might see a few in a year, and we'll win something like 6-1 when we're on our game for most of three periods. That doesn't mean you should expect the team to go 82-0 with 500 goals... be reasonable.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Habs

I wish we never had to play Columbus or Florida, incredibly dull game as one would expect.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:49 AM
muzion

people kill me

*cues EPMD's You Gots To Chill*

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 02:48 AM
forktie

Good game guys.. but I am amazed that some of you are calling for Denis to replace Halak.

Ask any Jackets fan about how we go to watch Denis erode.
We always thought he was better than his record with the jackets, and it had more to do with the poor defense around him while he was with us... but then we watched him fail miserably in Tampa... and I dunno. I think we have all seen Halak play better than he did tonight.

anyways, its always good to see an Eastern conf team come in our building.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:34 AM
Donkeyz

Weird game... the Habs had not played for a few days and it showed, mostly on D. Halak could have been better, but he had not played for 2 weeks (anyway, he should have stopped Methot's goal). At the end of the game, he made a few important saves; without those saves, Habs would have had their 2nd lost in regulation.

On most nights, Kovalev is the most entertaining hockey player. It might not always provoke goals, but it sure is entertaining... He moves like a great white shark.

Lang should shoot more often; in the last 2 games, he seems to be looking for the perfect pass when, sometimes, he has a clear shot at the net; maybe he's trying to get SKost out of his funk...

To their advantage, the Blue Jackets played a very defensive game; they were very disciplined. The first 5 minutes of the game set the tone; Habs were buzzing in the BJackets zone, but didn't draw penalties. Mason was very good, Tyutin was the best D of the game.

Can't wait to see the Canadiens play at a regular pace of games (they play 16 games in the next month, I think ?); we're very lucky fans !

PS: I don't understand Peca's value VS his reputation/$$$. He was good with the Sabres, but since then, meh.

Last edited by Donkeyz: 11-08-2008 at 03:41 AM.
Donkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 04:18 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Moo View Post
Honestly?

A lot of us CBJ fans can't stand them either! Our radio commentators are 1,000,000,000,000 times better!
For what it's worth, a lot of people here prefer the radio commentators as well to the ones on TV. I don't find Houde and Brunet bad per se, but I really think I'd rather listen to Dubé and McGuire on a game to game basis.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 07:53 AM
la25ecoupe

How come the two bros played together at the end? Isn't it supposed to be AK27?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Xoggz22

For all those complaining about Halak....We'll trade you Norrena for Halak straight up. Columbus has a lot to complain about when it comes to goaltending this year. Pazzy is hurt - again - and Norrena has cost us a few games (and he's only played a few).

Good game last night. It's easy to see why Montreal is a top pick to reach the finals. mistakes or not they have a lot of skill and speed. I also think people might start to realize that Columbus is actually pretty good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
He very well could be. He was a 1st rounder I believe, so perhaps he should be. Either way, I'm being murdered in a pool I have where injuries aren't allowed to be replaced for some retarded reason and my goalies are Leclaire AND Brodeur!!! (oh yeah, Gaborik, Pitkanen and Zubov too- I have the worst luck).
May have been ansered but Mason was a 3rd round pick for columbus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
...and id like say that the ice looked like crap tonight.
For some reason it felt exceptionally warm in our arena last night. I know the ice isn't the best even on a good night but with the warmer temperature I suspect that must have had an impact.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Xoggz22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:22 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
For all those complaining about Halak....We'll trade you Norrena for Halak straight up. Columbus has a lot to complain about when it comes to goaltending this year. Pazzy is hurt - again - and Norrena has cost us a few games (and he's only played a few).

Good game last night. It's easy to see why Montreal is a top pick to reach the finals. mistakes or not they have a lot of skill and speed. I also think people might start to realize that Columbus is actually pretty good too.
May take a while, the only way we can see one of your games is if you're playing us. Once a year isnt enough to appreciate a specific team IMO.

Cant wait for tomorrow and the following days/week. We've played only 11 games so far and we already had a 4 days break and a 5 days break.

games every two or three days should definitely help us find some rythm, sure there's no excuse for the lack of effort... but we shouldnt expect this team to have decent execution playing once or twice a week. Just take the Plekanec line for example, they were dominant against NYI, but the "we're back" feling was long gone when they dropped the puck tonight.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 10:30 AM.
ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:36 AM
mcphee

Goes to show how close the teams are. I like Columbus' team. Nash is a stud, their young guys have talent, they play hard in all 3 zones, they have som erole players who can skate, I hope they do well.

The result can only be partially due to the Habs effort. The opposition has something to do with it.

I thought Tanguay had a rough night, couldn't seem to find his way into the play. The line showed a lot of jump, but seemed to be missing some timing.

Laraque is what he is but I thought he played his best game of straight hockey.

It was nice to see S.Kost. score, as well as the team's reaction to him scoring. Hopefully he'll get some confidence going.

Mtl outchanced them imo, so it was a tough game for Halak, but I wasn't crazy about his game. It's tough, with the inactivity, but he'll have to get used to it and find ways to stay sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
How come the two bros played together at the end? Isn't it supposed to be AK27?
Kovalev had played the previous pp with Koivu, leading up to that shift.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 10:30 AM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:42 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
If they play against the leafs tonight as they have the last two games, a loss is very likely....and could be an embarrassing loss. I really hope they wake up.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:46 AM
BigTimer*

People actually think that Higgins has better hands than Latendresse? Ok there.

And close game or not, Laraque should of been sent out there to make either Commodore or Boll answer the bell. This isn't a momentum situation, this is a DO NOT RUN OUR PLAYERS situation. What are we paying him 1.5$ million for? Surely not for his hockey ability alone because he shouldn't earn a penny above a million if that was the case. I'd gladly of given up that one point we got tonight in exchange for leaving Commodore or Boll a bloody mess at center ice.

Put the Kostitsyn's together, with Pleks in the middle. Kovy wants his own line... so give it to him, just make sure it's clear to him that he's playing on the 3rd line.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:53 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
People actually think that Higgins has better hands than Latendresse? Ok there.

And close game or not, Laraque should of been sent out there to make either Commodore or Boll answer the bell. This isn't a momentum situation, this is a DO NOT RUN OUR PLAYERS situation. What are we paying him 1.5$ million for? Surely not for his hockey ability alone because he shouldn't earn a penny above a million if that was the case. I'd gladly of given up that one point we got tonight in exchange for leaving Commodore or Boll a bloody mess at center ice.

Put the Kostitsyn's together, with Pleks in the middle. Kovy wants his own line... so give it to him, just make sure it's clear to him that he's playing on the 3rd line.
I wondered the same at that point, just as to when it's ok to sacrifice the point to make a point. 5 minutes left, down a goal, it's tough to do. I think it has to be instantaneous.

Really though, isn't it just revenge, you were pissed and want to make tthe guy pay, do you think that on eplayer in the league would alter his next game against Mtl if Gl had gone after him ? 2nd period, I'd agree, but at that point, tough call.
I'm not sure many coaches would support a player in that circumstance, by that I mean in a subsequent shift.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:02 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I wondered the same at that point, just as to when it's ok to sacrifice the point to make a point. 5 minutes left, down a goal, it's tough to do. I think it has to be instantaneous.

Really though, isn't it just revenge, you were pissed and want to make tthe guy pay, do you think that on eplayer in the league would alter his next game against Mtl if Gl had gone after him ? 2nd period, I'd agree, but at that point, tough call.
I'm not sure many coaches would support a player in that circumstance, by that I mean in a subsequent shift.
You can sacrifice a point to make a point against the Bruins, Flyers, Devils or any other team you play a few times a year... but a team we're facing every other year (was our only game against them this season) there's no "point to make" IMO.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:02 AM
BLONG7

The foolish 6 day lay-off hurt the Habs again...after a big comeback win last Saturday, imagine if they had played Monday instead of waiting all the way to Friday...unfortunately any momentum they had on their side with a three game win streak, was snapped by the schedule makers...anyhow, on to see the Leafs tonight, should be a good game, the Leafs have been playing better, and will remember the 6-1 home opener loss to the Habs...that being said, the Habs should have a good game tonight!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

You have Boll, who is a 4th liner, and Commodore, who is a career bottom pairing d-man... and these guys are going after Kostitsyn and Hamrlik? No dice.

If these guys want to throw their high hits, then do it to a guy who plays the same role as you. Otherwise, you should expect it coming back your way. With Montreal, players know that's not the case. An example has to be set. This team clearly lacks the testicular fortitude (and it always will with Carbo at the helm) to initiate the chippyness, but it's unacceptable when they don't even react and unfortunately it's a big reason as to why this team shuts down in big games.

And as for whether or not it would alter a players style the next time they play us, well I don't have the answer to that. But lets face it, as a fan of this generation's Canadiennes de Montreal, we'll never know the answer because we will never ever set the tempo. As a fan of this team, we should content ourselves with discussing how long one of our top-6 guys is going to be out for because of an elbow from a 4th line scrub, and just how honourable it is that our coaches don't believe in playing a proactively chippy game. Hell, at this point, I don't even know if they're willing to play a reactive game.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
You can sacrifice a point to make a point against the Bruins, Flyers, Devils or any other team you play a few times a year... but a team we're facing every other year (was our only game against them this season) there's no "point to make" IMO.
you can make the arguement that if Commodore was a Bruin, you can do something next game, whereas when will they get another chance ? I'm of the mind that if the team en masse went after Commodore, when it happened, well, I'm ok , I guess. Next shift, playing GL for that reason, I don't quite see it.

If Mtl is up on Boston 6-3 and Komo throws the elbow, you'd expect some action, that shift or next, but if it's 3-2, and there isn't a fighter on the ice, I doubt Julien ices Thornton next shift. Tough call though, that was a pure cheapshot on Commodore's part, exactly the type of shot that can't be argued. No question of tall vs. short, head down, just a gratuitous head shot that no one wants to talk about at the league level, because the result wasn't severe.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I must've missed this, what did Commodore do?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:33 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I must've missed this, what did Commodore do?
He tried to McLaren Kostitsyn.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:34 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
He tried to McLaren Kostitsyn.
I need a youtube.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:38 AM
mcphee

Quote:
You have Boll, who is a 4th liner, and Commodore, who is a career bottom pairing d-man... and these guys are going after Kostitsyn and Hamrlik? No dice.

If these guys want to throw their high hits, then do it to a guy who plays the same role as you. Otherwise, you should expect it coming back your way. With Montreal, players know that's not the case. An example has to be set. This team clearly lacks the testicular fortitude (and it always will with Carbo at the helm) to initiate the chippyness, but it's unacceptable when they don't even react and unfortunately it's a big reason as to why this team shuts down in big games.

And as for whether or not it would alter a players style the next time they play us, well I don't have the answer to that. But lets face it, as a fan of this generation's Canadiennes de Montreal, we'll never know the answer because we will never ever set the tempo. As a fan of this team, we should content ourselves with discussing how long one of our top-6 guys is going to be out for because of an elbow from a 4th line scrub, and just how honourable it is that our coaches don't believe in playing a proactively chippy game. Hell, at this point, I don't even know if they're willing to play a reactive game.

I find it ridculous to question Carbo's guts. No forward in the history of the game has thrown his body in front of more shots, absorbed more hits to make more plays, so our definition is just different. Gainey never fought but it would be ludicrous to quetion his courage in any way.

I assume Plekanec and Kovalev were on the ice when Commodore threw his elbow last night. I don't know who was on the blueline. I would'nt have objected to confronting Commodore right there. My impresion was that the attitude was 'good, we're on the power play'.

The camera angles were distant last night and when Hamrlik went off, I was thinking that Boll should be dealt with. When I saw the replay, Boll just made the hit you have to make on the forecheck, Hamrlik initiated as much as he did. I would've liked Laraque to either seek him out or for someone to lay a big hit with a message ring to it, so I'm not really disagreeing, things were more passive than I would've liked.

As for initiating chippiness, well, you can't play all styles at once. I think the Flyer series last spring gave birth to an urban myth regarding toughness. Price makes the saves, the series turns, simple as that. Yeah, the Flyers are a chippier team, but that's who they are, Mtl's a speed team, you can't have it all ways.

Gainey deceided on his team model and it's he current Wings, not the 07 Ducks.