HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jay Bouwmeester

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2008, 09:28 AM
  #1
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,566
vCash: 500
Jay Bouwmeester

I don't get a chance to watch any Florida games, but I'm wondering why Bouwmeester's value is supposedly so high.

There's lots of talk that Bouwmeester will be traded, but I've been seeing proposals where people are saying his value is equal to that of guys like Nash or Kovalchuk.

I know he plays a lot of minutes, but according to his stats, he's a career -29 (-5 and -4 the last two seasons, respectively). He also puts up points (37 last season), but overall, his point production seems comparable to guys like Liles, Meszaros, Hainsey, etc.

I also wasn't blown away by his performace for Canada at the Worlds, I thought he was Canada's worst defenseman and barely noticable on either end of the ice.

So, overall, I'm wondering why his value is so high, and why he'll supposedly fetch a larger return than a players Pitkanen or Meszaros did, especially considering he's an upcoming UFA.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
  #2
voxel
Unsustainable Eberle
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
So, overall, I'm wondering why his value is so high, and why he'll supposedly fetch a larger return than a players Pitkanen or Meszaros did, especially considering he's an upcoming UFA.
Bouwmeester is a bonafide top-pairing D-man whereas Meszaros is not. Pitkanen had/has health/work-ethic/contract issues which lowers his value significantly.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:51 AM
  #3
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I don't get a chance to watch any Florida games, but I'm wondering why Bouwmeester's value is supposedly so high.

There's lots of talk that Bouwmeester will be traded, but I've been seeing proposals where people are saying his value is equal to that of guys like Nash or Kovalchuk.

I know he plays a lot of minutes, but according to his stats, he's a career -29 (-5 and -4 the last two seasons, respectively). He also puts up points (37 last season), but overall, his point production seems comparable to guys like Liles, Meszaros, Hainsey, etc.

I also wasn't blown away by his performace for Canada at the Worlds, I thought he was Canada's worst defenseman and barely noticable on either end of the ice.

So, overall, I'm wondering why his value is so high, and why he'll supposedly fetch a larger return than a players Pitkanen or Meszaros did, especially considering he's an upcoming UFA.
He's much more complete than both Pitkanen and Meszaros. He can do it all, simply put.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:04 AM
  #4
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I don't get a chance to watch any Florida games, but I'm wondering why Bouwmeester's value is supposedly so high.

There's lots of talk that Bouwmeester will be traded, but I've been seeing proposals where people are saying his value is equal to that of guys like Nash or Kovalchuk.

I know he plays a lot of minutes, but according to his stats, he's a career -29 (-5 and -4 the last two seasons, respectively). He also puts up points (37 last season), but overall, his point production seems comparable to guys like Liles, Meszaros, Hainsey, etc.

I also wasn't blown away by his performace for Canada at the Worlds, I thought he was Canada's worst defenseman and barely noticable on either end of the ice.

So, overall, I'm wondering why his value is so high, and why he'll supposedly fetch a larger return than a players Pitkanen or Meszaros did, especially considering he's an upcoming UFA.
He's overrated and a dman, so he could possibly go for more than Hossa did.

I don't know why the Panthers don't just trade him now. They have a pretty good top six without him, and they desperately need forwards.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:43 PM
  #5
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I don't get a chance to watch any Florida games, but I'm wondering why Bouwmeester's value is supposedly so high.

There's lots of talk that Bouwmeester will be traded, but I've been seeing proposals where people are saying his value is equal to that of guys like Nash or Kovalchuk.

I know he plays a lot of minutes, but according to his stats, he's a career -29 (-5 and -4 the last two seasons, respectively). He also puts up points (37 last season), but overall, his point production seems comparable to guys like Liles, Meszaros, Hainsey, etc.

I also wasn't blown away by his performace for Canada at the Worlds, I thought he was Canada's worst defenseman and barely noticable on either end of the ice.

So, overall, I'm wondering why his value is so high, and why he'll supposedly fetch a larger return than a players Pitkanen or Meszaros did, especially considering he's an upcoming UFA.
If you read the responses to the proposed trades you'd see that most people don't think he is worth Nash or Kovalchuk.... just cause one person makes a lopsided proposal, doesn't mean thats what his value is.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
  #6
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
So, overall, I'm wondering why his value is so high, and why he'll supposedly fetch a larger return than a players Pitkanen or Meszaros did, especially considering he's an upcoming UFA.
I disagree, his value is higher but you could use those trades as an example and a starting point.

Philadelphia Flyers traded Joni Pitkanen and Geoff Sanderson and a 3rd round selection in 2009 to the Edmonton Oilers for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul.

Ottawa Senators traded Andrej Meszaros to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Filip Kuba, Alexander Picards and a 1st round selection in 2009.

Florida will probably ask for a young forward, a pick probably 1st and a prospect and maybe a support player.

I do not think players like Kovalchuk, Nash or Carter will be traded for Jay.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
  #7
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
He's overrated and a dman, so he could possibly go for more than Hossa did.

I don't know why the Panthers don't just trade him now. They have a pretty good top six without him, and they desperately need forwards.
Because the longer they wait, the larger the demand for him could become. What if suddenly someone like Markov gets hurt in Montreal? What if Zubov or Gonchar get reinjured or simply aren't effective when they return? What is Lidstrom blows out an ACL? Suddenly teams who don't have a "need" for another top defenseman will be in the market for one, and probably desperate to obtain him. Trading JBo this early doesn't make much sense for Florida really.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:20 PM
  #8
iceless
-`ღ-
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I don't get a chance to watch any Florida games, but I'm wondering why Bouwmeester's value is supposedly so high.

There's lots of talk that Bouwmeester will be traded, but I've been seeing proposals where people are saying his value is equal to that of guys like Nash or Kovalchuk.

I know he plays a lot of minutes, but according to his stats, he's a career -29 (-5 and -4 the last two seasons, respectively). He also puts up points (37 last season), but overall, his point production seems comparable to guys like Liles, Meszaros, Hainsey, etc.

I also wasn't blown away by his performace for Canada at the Worlds, I thought he was Canada's worst defenseman and barely noticable on either end of the ice.

So, overall, I'm wondering why his value is so high, and why he'll supposedly fetch a larger return than a players Pitkanen or Meszaros did, especially considering he's an upcoming UFA.
Bouwmeester is a bonafide, top-2 defenseman on any team not being manned by the likes of a Pronger-Niedermayer or Lidstrom-Rafalski pairing. He is hands down the fastest d-man in the NHL right now and can log upwards of 28 minutes a game. His stats are a product of his team, so take it for what it is. +/- is useless unless you're actually watching Bouw play. His point production is hampered by his teams' lack of scoring across the board.

No, he won't fetch you a Nash or Kovalchuk (lol, absurd)... but he will garner a 1st, a solid roster player, and a promising prospect.

You can't expect much more than that, especially given that he's a UFA to be.

EDIT: Like someone else mentioned, expect to see a Hossa-esque deal to go down if he's dealt before the Trade Deadline.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 05:36 PM
  #9
Heske_44
Registered User
 
Heske_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post

I know he plays a lot of minutes.
Alot? He plays the most.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:41 PM
  #10
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
Bouwmeester is a bonafide, top-2 defenseman on any team not being manned by the likes of a Pronger-Niedermayer or Lidstrom-Rafalski pairing. He is hands down the fastest d-man in the NHL right now and can log upwards of 28 minutes a game. His stats are a product of his team, so take it for what it is. +/- is useless unless you're actually watching Bouw play. His point production is hampered by his teams' lack of scoring across the board.

No, he won't fetch you a Nash or Kovalchuk (lol, absurd)... but he will garner a 1st, a solid roster player, and a promising prospect.

You can't expect much more than that, especially given that he's a UFA to be.

EDIT: Like someone else mentioned, expect to see a Hossa-esque deal to go down if he's dealt before the Trade Deadline.
So Florida wont get very much then. I would love to have Bouwmeester on the Pens! it would probably cost Staal, Goligoski, and our 1st. But it better be a trade and sign type of deal

6M for 6 years?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:29 PM
  #11
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Because the longer they wait, the larger the demand for him could become. What if suddenly someone like Markov gets hurt in Montreal? What if Zubov or Gonchar get reinjured or simply aren't effective when they return? What is Lidstrom blows out an ACL? Suddenly teams who don't have a "need" for another top defenseman will be in the market for one, and probably desperate to obtain him. Trading JBo this early doesn't make much sense for Florida really.
What if Bouwmeester tears an ACL? He plays half the game.

His value is already plenty high; teams might give more now to get more games with him this season.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:37 PM
  #12
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
If you read the responses to the proposed trades you'd see that most people don't think he is worth Nash or Kovalchuk.... just cause one person makes a lopsided proposal, doesn't mean thats what his value is.
Trust me, it's not just 1 person

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:54 PM
  #13
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Trust me, it's not just 1 person
its like less than 5% of the posters on the site thought.... look at the responses....

its a few people who have strange ideas... its not representative of what all of HF thinks.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:05 AM
  #14
Metallian*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
So, overall, I'm wondering why his value is so high, and why he'll supposedly fetch a larger return than a players Pitkanen or Meszaros did, especially considering he's an upcoming UFA.


oh not this crap again

rentals get huge ransoms, they always will, and always have

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:11 AM
  #15
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
So Florida wont get very much then. I would love to have Bouwmeester on the Pens! it would probably cost Staal, Goligoski, and our 1st. But it better be a trade and sign type of deal

6M for 6 years?

Higher....you'd be buying out his free agency.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:32 AM
  #16
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,938
vCash: 500
J-Bo is most likely one of the 5 best dmen in the league so he'll fetch a whole lot when he's traded. Keeping things in perspective, he's a UFA at seasons end so any team aquiring him MUST view him as a rental with inside barganing rights for the first month after the season ends. That said, he won't fetch as much as Forsberg did 2 years ago as Forsberg was most certainly the best deadline player available in the history of the NHL, Forsberg was a PROVEN playoff stud and J-Bo has yet to play a playoff game being stuck in a crappy franchise. Also, since J-Bo is a UFA at seasons end and he'll be aquired for less than a full season (most likely the last 1/3rd of the season and most importantly a playoff run) he won't fetch as much as Pronger did when Edmonton traded him away a few years ago. Expect J-Bo to fetch not more than a top end prospect/young NHL player, a mid level NHL player/prospect (one fo the first 2 a current NHL play and the other a prospect or rookie) and probably a 2nd rnd pick depending upon the talent of the players traded (this years draft is VERY strong and a late 1st is worth a middle first in most other drafts, this years draft picks all the way around will be more valuable than most years).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:45 AM
  #17
Caesium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,020
vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
J-Bo is most likely one of the 5 best dmen in the league
63% of HFers don't have him in their top 10. He's not a top 5 defenseman.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:52 AM
  #18
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112
 
Art.Vandelay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I disagree, his value is higher but you could use those trades as an example and a starting point.

Philadelphia Flyers traded Joni Pitkanen and Geoff Sanderson and a 3rd round selection in 2009 to the Edmonton Oilers for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul.

Ottawa Senators traded Andrej Meszaros to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Filip Kuba, Alexander Picards and a 1st round selection in 2009.

Florida will probably ask for a young forward, a pick probably 1st and a prospect and maybe a support player.

I do not think players like Kovalchuk, Nash or Carter will be traded for Jay.
So how about from the Coyotes:

Brett MacLean
Enver Lisin
2009 1st

Maybe add Carcillo if that's not enough and the Panthers would send back a pick if Bouwmeester doesn't resign.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.