HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hab Fans for A. Kost Left Wing Liberation

Old
11-08-2008, 08:18 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Hab Fans for A. Kost Left Wing Liberation

Chime in here if you are a supporter of liberating A. Kostitsyn from Left Wing position on Kovalev's line.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Tusk

Chime.

I'd love to re-sign Kovalev, but we should make sure Andrei can play their sooner, rather than later to help offset that possible scenario of him not coming back, that's one example of why it should be tried ASAP, another is that, I dunno, he seems better on the right and needs to carry the puck more to exploit all his talent, think about how good he is and how little he touches the puck, it's crazy.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:28 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
The time for this is now.
I honestly don't think Kovalev would be that thrown off if someone else were to play the left wing as long as he kept his Centre.

Having Andrei on the right wing would enable him to control his own line, not to mention being able to unite the brothers.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:28 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Chime.

I'd love to re-sign Kovalev, but we should make sure Andrei can play their sooner, rather than later to help offset that possible scenario of him not coming back, that's one example of why it should be tried ASAP, another is that, I dunno, he seems better on the right and needs to carry the puck more to exploit all his talent, think about how good he is and how little he touches the puck, it's crazy.
And if we don't re-sign Kovalev this season, I'd say it's in our best interest to prepare for that right now. If we get A. Kost dominating on the RW of his own line, he can step in and fill the void left by Kovalev.. and D'Agostini or Pacioretty should be ready next season to play third line LW (Pacioretty) or RW (D'Agostini) because we have Sergei, Lats, and maybe Tanguay who can play RW on the second line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
The time for this is now.
I honestly don't think Kovalev would be that thrown off if someone else were to play the left wing as long as he kept his Centre.

Having Andrei on the right wing would enable him to control his own line, not to mention being able to unite the brothers.
Lats is doing nothing, and A. Kost can't do anything. So, it's not going to affect Lats at all to play third fiddle on the top line and maybe with the frustration of never getting the puck he can hit some guys and take some punishment in front of the net and do what he should be doing.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old
11-08-2008, 08:35 AM
TheCH*

Kostitsyn is no Kovalev, he is nowhere near ready to control a line like Kovalev. He is playing really timid since he got hit, yet because of this he is putting himself in vulnerable positions more frequently. I don't think his head is all in it yet.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:37 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Kostitsyn is no Kovalev, he is nowhere near ready to control a line like Kovalev. He is playing really timid since he got hit, yet because of this he is putting himself in vulnerable positions more frequently. I don't think his head is all in it yet.
Not at the level of dominance of Kovalev, yet. But we've all seen the potential and it's time to nurture it. It won't get nurtured on a line with Kovalev, because you can be the catalyst on your line when Kovalev hogs the limelight.

Old
11-08-2008, 08:38 AM
kostitsyn1489

So you break the whole line-up so he plays on the right wing? We already have SKthat always played RW, Kovalev that always played RW and Tangfuay on the right wing.

I agree he's got to play on the right wing, but who moves to the left wing, dont tell me sergei you wouldnt help him at all.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:42 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Not at the level of dominance of Kovalev, yet. But we've all seen the potential and it's time to nurture it. It won't get nurtured on a line with Kovalev, because you can be the catalyst on your line when Kovalev hogs the limelight.
Nurture it right now and it is not gonna come without compromise. He is simply not the best suited for that position over the other players we have. Anyways, when that line gets going again like they were last year(and it mainly Kostitsyn that needs to pick up his play to last years level for that to happen), we'll all be content again.

Old
11-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Chime in here if you are a supporter of liberating A. Kostitsyn from Left Wing position on Kovalev's line.
Yeah, Andrei Kostitsyn was absolutely horrible last season on the left wing. I mean, the guy couldn't play at all. Totally useless. If you have to skate on one side of the rink instead of the other, all of your skill goes down the drain. Albatross city. Wingers can never change the wing they play on or else they become terrible hockey players. I mean, did you see his shootout attempt in Columbus? Had he been playing on the right wing, it would have went in.

Carbo!!!

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:48 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Here's the issue as I see it. I think he probably is better suited to th eright side. I think it's important to know how much of a lead dog he can be.

I think that the above might have a bit more to do with what's best for #46 rather than getting he most out of the team overall. I think he's by a long shot, best suited to playing with Kovalev. I'm a fan of Kovalev, I enjoy watching the weird and wonderful game that he plays, that often leaves his linemates guessing, but he's a tough player to match. #46 has the gumption to take the puck and make his play, as does Plekanec, plus, he can finish and retrieve loose pucks.

So, you're right, but it might not be best for the team.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Anyways, when that line gets going again like they were last year(and it mainly Kostitsyn that needs to pick up his play to last years level for that to happen), we'll all be content again.
Actually, there's been a lot of posters like us who have been wanting A.Kost on the right for as long as he's been put on the left. The odd time he's played on the right have been enough to get a glimpse of how much better he can be, not many guys in the league control the puck like Kovalev, but Andrei plays a similar style when on the right, no one says he's gonna dipsy doodle and do crazy knee shots from center in practice, but there is something more to his game when he's on the right. He's great on that line, on the left, but I think he has more in him then we are seeing. Someone who's as strong on the puck and tough to knock over like him should be carrying it a little more. But MCphee has a great point too.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Plekanec and A.Kostitsyn need to be put away from Kovalev.

Kovalev is good but he cant use his teammates for ****, he just dances around in the offensive zone and creates chances by himself. Plekanec an AK46 are being wasted. Kovalev would be playing with Lapierre and Kostopoulos and the line would actually be more effective, because the two grinders could crash the net for rebounds and dig the corners for pucks to feed Kovalev.

Kovalev is meant to play with complimentary players, why? Because he, most of the time, does everything by himself. AK46 and Plekanec, last season, were complimentary player. But they need to take their game up to another level, which would be to be leaders on their respective lines, create their own scoring chances, etc.

I would put Kovalev on a line with Latendresse, who at this point is a complimentary player that has enough skills to play with Kovalev, kind of like AK46 last season. The center should be Lang, who isnt good enough to lead a line all by himself, but has enough skills to play with Kovalev.

Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay
S.Kostitsyn - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn
Latendresse - Lang - Kovalev

Carbo, you can thank me later.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:59 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post

Kovalev is good but he cant use his teammates for ****, he just dances around in the offensive zone and creates chances by himself. Plekanec an AK46 are being wasted. Kovalev would be playing with Lapierre and Kostopoulos and the line would actually be more effective, because the two grinders could crash the net for rebounds and dig the corners for pucks to feed Kovalev.

Kovalev is meant to play with complimentary players, why? Because he, most of the time, does everything by himself. AK46 and Plekanec, last season, were complimentary player. But they need to take their game up to another level, which would be to be leaders on their respective lines, create their own scoring chances, etc.

I would put Kovalev on a line with Latendresse, who at this point is a complimentary player that has enough skills to play with Kovalev, kind of like AK46 last season. The center should be Lang, who isnt good enough to lead a line all by himself, but has enough skills to play with Kovalev.

I like those lines

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:04 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:

I agree with most of it, but why putting Sergei Kostitsyn on his offwing. We complain that AKost plays offwing, but to fix the problem we put his bro on his offwing. I think if we do those line Sergei should play on the right as well they've good good together in the past and Sergei was playing on the right and hell anyway those 2 in offensives zone play all 3 forward position when paired together.

But yes at some point Akost needs to play on the right wing. The way he played with plek and Higgins is way different then the way he does now. He plays more of a power forward/garbage goaler right now and despite not being why he got drafted he's doing a good job at it, but yeah if we want him to expose his skills he gottacontrol the puck and he wont with Kovy.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
So you break the whole line-up so he plays on the right wing? We already have SKthat always played RW, Kovalev that always played RW and Tangfuay on the right wing.

I agree he's got to play on the right wing, but who moves to the left wing, dont tell me sergei you wouldnt help him at all.
Sergei is the natural LW, where is the problem

Higgins - Koivu - Tang
Lats - Pleks - Kovy
Sergei - Lang - Andrei.

Quote:

Don't take Pleks away from Kovalev.... Plekanec and Kovalev have good chemistry... even better than Lang and Kovalev. Pleks is needed on that line.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:16 AM
plafleur10

I have always believed BOTH brothers are currently miscast in their current positions, I am convinced Andre is a natural RW and Serguei is a natural LW.

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:19 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
I have always believed BOTH brothers are currently miscast in their current positions, I am convinced Andre is a natural RW and Serguei is a natural LW.
On the offensive side, you're probably right. I wonder if the coach is worried about the other side.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Iwishihadacup

CHIME on me crazy diamond!!

We really need to split the ATAK line... kovy is really killing these two guys and does not dominate like last year in exchange

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:28 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Higgins - Koivu - Tang
Lats - Pleks - Kovy
Sergei - Lang - Andrei.
It's not cause he played LW with London that he's anatural LW. He was on the right Mikhail Stefanovich right side at th WJC and i guess he had more of an option to pick his side with team belarus then he did with London.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:31 AM
TheCH*

Quote:

Kovy having a career year(close to it!) last year says your wrong. And not only him, but every player on that line had their best year yet!

Quote:

Higgins - Koivu - Tang
Lats - Pleks - Kovy
Sergei - Lang - Andrei.
The problem is the Kostitsyn - plek - Kovalev line was one of the best in the league last year. I can't see how changing things can make it even better for us.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old
11-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
The problem is the Kostitsyn - plek - Kovalev line was one of the best in the league last year. I can't see how changing things can make it even better for us.
This argument i can accept and it does have a lot of merit. I'm personally giving them till the 20 game mark to get it going.

The what is the problem remark was directed at someone who didn't want to put Sergei at LW.... thats the part i don't understand.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
It's not cause he played LW with London that he's anatural LW. He was on the right Mikhail Stefanovich right side at th WJC and i guess he had more of an option to pick his side with team belarus then he did with London.
Yeah, Sergei plays both wings, just like Andrei. This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, Kovy's best kept with Andrei and Plekanec.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Okay if you are really dead set on this....

Higgins/Latendresse - Pleks - Kovalev
Tanguay - Koivu - Andrei
H/L - Lang - Sergei

Old
11-08-2008, 09:54 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Okay if you are really dead set on this....

Higgins/Latendresse - Pleks - Kovalev
Tanguay - Koivu - Andrei
H/L - Lang - Sergei
Could work, same thing with Sergei kst at LW it's not like he ever played on the left side either, but the problem was that you take a player from his offwing to put him where's more effective and you take a guy to put him on his offwing. That said Tanguay said he could play on both side. Still he's effewctive on the right side now why change it. We've always lacked of right winger, now we have too miuch... So yeah i surely want AKost on the right side, but whose the best option on the left side.

Old
11-08-2008, 10:59 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Yeah, Andrei Kostitsyn was absolutely horrible last season on the left wing. I mean, the guy couldn't play at all. Totally useless. If you have to skate on one side of the rink instead of the other, all of your skill goes down the drain. Albatross city. Wingers can never change the wing they play on or else they become terrible hockey players. I mean, did you see his shootout attempt in Columbus? Had he been playing on the right wing, it would have went in.

Carbo!!!
Okay, this was a serious overreaction.

No, Andrei Kostitsyn was not horrible at LW last season. But if you want to look at Andrei's highlight package, care to tell me how many of his best plays came off his RW? How about his sick assist to Plekanec during the Isles game, what side was he on? His flying the through the air batting the puck in vs. Philly, what side was he on? When he deked the entire Thrashers team and scored, what side was he on? When he deked out the Capitals and owned Kolzig, what side was he on? When he knocked down Richards, got the puck and wristed it by Biron, what side was he on?

Ask Qui Gon Dave who's seen the majority of A. Kostitsyn's career beginning in the AHL, he'll tell you exactly what kind of a player A. Kostitsyn is on the RW. It's well documented that he's more dynamic and he can use his skill set better coming down the right wing.