HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: Habs lose the shootout to Columbus 4-3

Old
11-08-2008, 08:39 AM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Well I had to watch that one on on disk this morning. I was at the London - Owen Sound game last night. I actually toyed with going to see that game in Columbus. I'll be going to Detroit on the 26th instead (they still have tickets left for groups of 4!)

5 former Knights played in the Habs v Jackets game last night and 4 had an impact. Methot ( guy who scored the OT winner against Oceanic in 05 mem cup), Nash (no introduction necessary), SK got back on track with that tying goal, and Mason did a great job in that 1st period stopping 17 of 18. TKost played his standard checking game

Columbus is a pretty physical bunch. Some good young players too. They outhit us and blocked more shots too. Nice move by Brassard in the shootout. Not sure if Tanguay meant that little sliding shot but it almost worked hitting the post

Man I wish we could get a guy like Nash in our line-up

Lots of moaning about Halak but I think the D corps could have helped him out more. But some of those rebounds to the slot were downright scary. Maybe halak is not getting enough game time

Oh well toronto tonite and all the stuff that goes along with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

The camera angles were distant last night and when Hamrlik went off, I was thinking that Boll should be dealt with.
The Nationwide Arena is a really nice place to watch game but it will never be as good as the Bell centre because of that "bowl sprawl" versus the vertical of Montreal. Everything is spread out for the fans in the seats and TV angles. Club seats in Columbus seem a mile away from the rink. Very similar to the camera shots

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 09:38 AM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:54 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
I find it ridculous to question Carbo's guts. No forward in the history of the game has thrown his body in front of more shots, absorbed more hits to make more plays, so our definition is just different. Gainey never fought but it would be ludicrous to quetion his courage in any way.

I assume Plekanec and Kovalev were on the ice when Commodore threw his elbow last night. I don't know who was on the blueline. I would'nt have objected to confronting Commodore right there. My impresion was that the attitude was 'good, we're on the power play'.

The camera angles were distant last night and when Hamrlik went off, I was thinking that Boll should be dealt with. When I saw the replay, Boll just made the hit you have to make on the forecheck, Hamrlik initiated as much as he did. I would've liked Laraque to either seek him out or for someone to lay a big hit with a message ring to it, so I'm not really disagreeing, things were more passive than I would've liked.

As for initiating chippiness, well, you can't play all styles at once. I think the Flyer series last spring gave birth to an urban myth regarding toughness. Price makes the saves, the series turns, simple as that. Yeah, the Flyers are a chippier team, but that's who they are, Mtl's a speed team, you can't have it all ways.

Gainey deceided on his team model and it's he current Wings, not the 07 Ducks.
That's the thing. In my opinion it takes more guts to block a shot than to drop the gloves. So it's not an issue of guts but rather, it's a type of game that Carbo does not want to play. However, at a certain point in time, you need to play ball. An attitude like "great, we're on the power-play" isn't "great" at all because Commodore was about a half-foot off from ending Kost's 2008 and maybe his 2009. And while Boll might not of been crossing the line, you can't have 4th line garbage running your top-3 d-men all night. Boll would of been more than willing to go if challenged, and if for some reason he wasn't, then send him a two handed sherwood on the wrist or a late elbow courtesy of Laraque, signed by Carbo. The same applies to Commodore... and if they start playing chicken (which I'm not accusing them of, because they weren't even challenged in the first place), then take a run at Brassard or Nash.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:09 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
That's the thing. In my opinion it takes more guts to block a shot than to drop the gloves. So it's not an issue of guts but rather, it's a type of game that Carbo does not want to play. However, at a certain point in time, you need to play ball. An attitude like "great, we're on the power-play" isn't "great" at all because Commodore was about a half-foot off from ending Kost's 2008 and maybe his 2009. And while Boll might not of been crossing the line, you can't have 4th line garbage running your top-3 d-men all night. Boll would of been more than willing to go if challenged, and if for some reason he wasn't, then send him a two handed sherwood on the wrist or a late elbow courtesy of Laraque, signed by Carbo. The same applies to Commodore... and if they start playing chicken (which I'm not accusing them of, because they weren't even challenged in the first place), then take a run at Brassard or Nash.
Sorry, late in the third and down by one is not the time to go for revenge. Your idea would have resulted in the loss of 1 point. Kost wasn't hurt on the play and if anything it motivated him to help tie the game. If the game was out of reach, then send BGL out there to get his pound of flesh.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Guillermo

Send a message via AIM to Guillermo Send a message via Yahoo to Guillermo
Two little things I noticed tonight :

- The Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay line had trouble getting out of our zone all game long.

- IMO, Bouillon had a bad game, lots of turnovers and he has not been the usual physical presence recently.

Guillermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Sorry, late in the third and down by one is not the time to go for revenge. Your idea would have resulted in the loss of 1 point. Kost wasn't hurt on the play and if anything it motivated him to help tie the game. If the game was out of reach, then send BGL out there to get his pound of flesh.
That hit had some nasty intent. Hurt or not, we can't have our top players keep getting hit like that. The problem is it keeps happening. Change your approach to the physical game and maybe it won't.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
How come the two bros played together at the end? Isn't it supposed to be AK27?
Cause we pulled the goalie.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
I'm not disagreeing. From my persepctive, watching, and I watch from an emotional persepctive, I felt the same way. I tend to not buy into mayhem on ice when I talk about a game next day, but in game, I want swift and exact retribution for every imagined slight.

I wonder about in game though, if it isn't the job of a good coach to stay under control. I was watching the umpteenth rewind of Sportscentre and that piece of garbage Tucker is at it again.

Apparentlt he tole the Wilds' Schultz that he was coming after his knees and then proceeded to do so. Minny is proactively tough, has a beast in the Bogey Man, but players do their jobs regardless.

I guess that I agree that at the moment Commodore threw an elbow, I wanted him jumped and pummeled. Would it have served as much a purpose as we like to think, I don't know. Sometimes, I guess, probably a case by case thing.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Pascal

Commodore's elbow should be grounds for a suspension. It was a clear hit to the head.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:30 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
That's where the league is gutless imo. The result in a case like that shouldn't matter that much. I can see the arguement when Sauer hit, A.Kost. reagarding angles, intent, type of hit, there's debate there, but an elbow to the head with intent should be suspendable, but won't be becasue he missed.

Frankly, Hitchcock should bench the guy for putting his own team at risk.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:41 AM
JrHockeyFan

I recall when Montreal was playing NYI in the playoffs and if memory serves we were up in the series and up in the game. Trottier totally mashed gainey's head into the glass with an elbow. He got a major but NOBODY stepped up and dealt justice to the guy who attacked our Capt. We lost the game and the series. That always stuck with me

Smart to do nothing? Not in that case

Trying to save a point can cost you the war sometimes

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:45 AM
rocketlives

Boll's body check on Hammer was shoulder to shoulder and perfectly legal. No retribution needed here. I was surprised Hamrlik had to go to the clinic but he probably suffered a stinger. It's up to him to wait to get Boll solidly into the boards with a legal check the next shift or the next game.

Commodore trying to clothesline AK46 as he did was unacceptable but a penalty was called and it was no time for any Habs player to go in the penalty box. Commodore is 6'5" 228 lbs and as such, he falls into George's territory. I hope George took his number for a future game but we don't play the Jackets very often.

The Kostitsyn brothers have both been playing softly since the beginning of the season. They both can play a much chippier game and they should. Last year I even saw Andrei bodycheck Chara solidly in one game and hurting him. At 6' 205 lbs, he should be able to take care of himself.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:50 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I recall when Montreal was playing NYI in the playoffs and if memory serves we were up in the series and up in the game. Trottier totally mashed gainey's head into the glass with an elbow. He got a major but NOBODY stepped up and dealt justice to the guy who attacked our Capt. We lost the game and the series. That always stuck with me

Smart to do nothing? Not in that case

Trying to save a point can cost you the war sometimes
BigTimer's comments about initiating kind of has me thinking, hich rarely happens. Mtl has always been considered as a team that reacts more than initiates, the 70's being a good example, but look at our all time best at the postion, John Ferguson.

If a game was quiet, back in the days when there were fewer cameras and replay ability, you'd hear oohs and aahhs and the camera would pan to a prone Johnny Bower after Fergy had buzzed him . He'd often take shots at non fighters.

Nilan would've slugged his Mom for fun, they weren't peacekeepers in any way.

I guess it's case by case, it's not cut and dried. Last night was a good example of the whole issue though .

Old
11-08-2008, 10:12 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
BigTimer's comments about initiating kind of has me thinking, hich rarely happens. Mtl has always been considered as a team that reacts more than initiates, the 70's being a good example, but look at our all time best at the postion, John Ferguson.

If a game was quiet, back in the days when there were fewer cameras and replay ability, you'd hear oohs and aahhs and the camera would pan to a prone Johnny Bower after Fergy had buzzed him . He'd often take shots at non fighters.

Nilan would've slugged his Mom for fun, they weren't peacekeepers in any way.

I guess it's case by case, it's not cut and dried. Last night was a good example of the whole issue though .

I agree. John Ferguson had his own little wars and didn't always play his enforcer role. At times he could even be a bit of a mental case. I remember a fight he had against tall and lanky Eric Nesterenko of the Black Hawks. He knocked him cold with one puch and for good measure gave him another left hook as he was falling down unconscious. In another occasion, he went after Bobby Hull who was playing with a special head gear to protect a fractured jaw. I liked Fergy but sometimes he was really nuts.

Last edited by rocketlives: 11-08-2008 at 12:12 PM.
rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
I agree. John Ferguson had his own little wars and didn't always play his enforcer role. At times he could even be a bit of a mental case. I remember a fight he had against tall and lanky Eric Nesterenko of the Black Hawks. He knocked him cold with one puch and for good measure gave him another left hook as he was falling down unconscious. In another occasion, he went after Bobby Hull who was playing with a special head gear to protect a fractured jaw. I liked Fergie but sometimes he was really nuts.
There's a poster on the History board, nice guy, extremely knowledgeable from a historical perspective, big Bobby Hull fan, absolutely detests Fergy. I guess you can't be a Hull fan and like ferguson. I remember the Nesterenko fight, I remember my Dad commenting on how you usually stop hitting when they aren't hitting back.

Old
11-08-2008, 10:34 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I must've missed this, what did Commodore do?
I don't have the tech abilities to get a replay up on Youtube, but Commodore blatantly took a shot at A. Kost's head.

A. Kost was trying to gain the Jackets' zone with speed, and as he was breaking up the left wing into the zone. He looked down for a second as he was carrying the puck in the neutral zone. Commodore was lining A. Kost up on the play, but instead of trying to through a clean shoulder, he threw a flagrant elbow at Kost's chin. At the last moment A. Kost saw the hit coming and moved his head back just enough that it didn't connect flush and hit him higher in the face. If Commodore had better mobility, or A. Kost reacted slightly slower, it would have been a devastating cheapshot (much like McLaren's elbow on Zednik).

Even though the play resulted in no injury, it is the intent that is disgusting. Commodore had lots of time to line Kosty up for a clean hit or hip check, but instead he chose to throw a headhunting elbow. It wasn't like a reactionary, stick the knee out play, or a hit that starts low and ends up high because of poor timing. Commodore deliberately gunned for his head with the elbow from start to finish and missed by a fraction of a second and a couple inches at most.

It was a gutless, disgusting, flagrant attempt to injure on Commodore's part. It was made more frustrating by the fact that it was so late in the game, that there was no chance to make Commodore pay. I hope that the league holds true to their posturing about headshots, and their stating that the most important criteria in issuing a suspension is the intent of the offending player. However, I doubt they will. Everybody knows that they suspend on a reactionary basis, responding to serious injuries or players that have a bad reputation.

In the end, I'm glad that A. Kost didn't get hurt on the play. He was a fraction of an inch away from his second concussion in a short time period. One that would most likely have cause him to miss a lot of time, and could have possibly ended his season.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalrecall View Post
i blame schedule
After reading these boards, many a comment are valid IMO.

Still...

The Habs have not had the chance to turn into LIVING BREATHING HOCKEY MACHINES...

Now the real schedule starts

I mean what were they doing during those breaks... practicing, DVD's at night, restaurants, gaming, chicks, chicks, chicks, watching other teams play, doing interviews, helping their kids with homework...

Now they finally get to PLAY

They will beat Toronto tonight

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Even though the Habs seemed rusty at times, this game was winnable with a bit of goaltending here and there.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:34 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Even though the Habs seemed rusty at times, this game was winnable with a bit of goaltending here and there.
The game was winnable if they decided to play better hockey too.. 2 of the 3 goals were odd man rushes / wide-open guys.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Guy Caballero

I'm going to join the chorus and put this one squarely on Halak. The first and third goals were very weak, and even though the Habs battled back to get it to the shootout, he couldn't redeem himself. Very poor game.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
I'm going to join the chorus and put this one squarely on Halak. The first and third goals were very weak, and even though the Habs battled back to get it to the shootout, he couldn't redeem himself. Very poor game.
I read this quickly and thought you said "I'm going to join the circus". My first thought was, "You're a Habs fan, you've already joined the circus".

But I agree, Halak did not look sharp at all last night. Hopefully that was due to the long layoff.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I read this quickly and thought you said "I'm going to join the circus". My first thought was, "You're a Habs fan, you've already joined the circus".

But I agree, Halak did not look sharp at all last night. Hopefully that was due to the long layoff.
I can't believe Halak has much trade value. What was he doing during the layoff, brooding over his being removed from the game against Anaheim? Halak seemed smaller than his official 5'10" while the rookie Steve Mason (and Giguere in the Anaheim game) seemed to fill the goal mouth. I wish Halak had played in goal for the Jackets instead of for the Habs. If Price follows it up with a poor game against the Leafs despite being over the flu, it might begin to make sense that the Habs as a team were affected by the layoff and were allowing their goaltenders to become sitting ducks.

Old
11-08-2008, 04:18 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I can't believe Halak has much trade value. What was he doing during the layoff, brooding over his being removed from the game against Anaheim? Halak seemed smaller than his official 5'10" while the rookie Steve Mason (and Giguere in the Anaheim game) seemed to fill the goal mouth. I wish Halak had played in goal for the Jackets instead of for the Habs. If Price follows it up with a poor game against the Leafs despite being over the flu, it might begin to make sense that the Habs as a team were affected by the layoff and were allowing their goaltenders to become sitting ducks.
Price has also only been off for a week, where-as Halak hadn't played in 2 weeks.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 04:20 PM
mrCoffea*

I can't believe all the people bashing Halak!

Yeah, he DEFINITELY had a bad game last night, but to say he's a bad goalie or that he never proved anything or showed talent with the team is a farce.

I only see him as slightly inferior to Price, and if we had to rely on him for a long stretch I'd feel confident.

You can't expect these guys that to never let in a goal. What's going to happen when Price inevitably loses a game this season? Are you going to call him a bust and overrated?

It seems that the only way people would be happy with Halak is if he somehow starts outshining Price and taking his number 1 position away from him, which probably will never happen

Be happy with what you got, a lot of teams would kill for such a combo of young talented goalies

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 04:49 PM.
mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Price has also only been off for a week, where-as Halak hadn't played in 2 weeks.
More accurately he had a total of 1.5 periods of play in 3 weeks before last night.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
More accurately he had a total of 1.5 periods of play in 3 weeks before last night.
He could have had 3 periods if he hadn't played so badly that Carbonneau had to replace him after 1.5 with an influenza-weakened Price.