HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What's up with the Kostitsyns???

Old
11-07-2008, 10:00 PM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think he's doing the same, he's just looking for the complex plays instead of the simple ones. Granted I guess that means it's not the same as last year.
Exactly. There's just those plays where Andrei is heading in with steam, Kovalev will keep, Andrei is forced to bend his skate across the line and Kovalev barrels down the boards, behind the net, around the other side and cuts to the middle with a feint.

Last year, Kovalev gives to Andrei.. Andrei takes, waits and either gives it to the trailing Kovalev or makes a cross crease pass to Plekanec.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:03 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Exactly. There's just those plays where Andrei is heading in with steam, Kovalev will keep, Andrei is forced to bend his skate across the line and Kovalev barrels down the boards, behind the net, around the other side and cuts to the middle with a feint.

Last year, Kovalev gives to Andrei.. Andrei takes, waits and either gives it to the trailing Kovalev or makes a cross crease pass to Plekanec.
I guess we can be thankful he's not lazy and bad like two years ago.

For a line that's not doing as well as they can, they are still getting points which is nice. Plus the Commodore near decapitation seemed to have motivated Andrei, he was flying after.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:12 PM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Kovalev played the same way last year and Andrei was fine.
Beginning of the first period Kovalev brings the puck into the offensive zone (AK open on the near side board), cuts to the middle of the zone (turtleneck breaks into the zone with speed, wide open), dangles around a few guys, and then passes it to Georges who then proceeds to throw a weak wrist shot on net. None of his linemates touched the puck on that sequence... It hurts their confidence while making them easy to defend for the opposition.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Erika

Simple, Kovalev = Puck Hog !!

He's playing like Samsonov used to play here. Dancing around with the puck, which results in turnovers over and over again. The number of turnovers he creates compares to the scoring chances he creates is just terrible.

Andrei needs to play with his little brother, it's even clearer now.

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:32 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

He's playing like Samsonov used to play here. Dancing around with the puck, which results in turnovers over and over again.

Once I agree with you.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-07-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old
11-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

He's playing like Samsonov used to play here. Dancing around with the puck, which results in turnovers over and over again. The number of turnovers he creates compares to the scoring chances he creates is just terrible.

11pts 11games and everything is kovalev's fault...

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:43 PM
superstar436

actually, u look at it and it is encouraging for A kosty

key play in islanders game ( 2nd goal of pleks )

key play to his bro to tie the game at 3 today

tomorrow he will score a goal, mark my words

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:48 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Just blaming Kovalev is foolhardy. Both brothers will get it going, just be patient a bit, eh?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

They've been playing like Andrea and Shirley Kostitsyn so far. I'd start to worry after 20-25 games, but I think they'll be playing better by then.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Mother Pucker

Andrei is always amazing to watch; his skills as well as his hunger and grit. As well as the Plek line has their scoring chance, I'm starting to think a line with his bro wouldn't be such a bad idea though. Nothing is happening in the 3rd line and the chemistry that the Kosty bros have is just amazing; just look at the goal today who got us the point.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:21 PM
dre2112

Hard to gel and get into a good rhythm when you have a 3 games in 16 days

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Hard to gel and get into a good rhythm when you have a 3 games in 16 days
the brilliance of the NHL.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 06:31 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
They've been playing like Andrea and Shirley Kostitsyn so far. I'd start to worry after 20-25 games, but I think they'll be playing better by then.
LOL. Hope the Bruins fans don't see that. They'll add it to their growing repertoire: Bobsey twins, Mary Kate and Ashley.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:15 AM
WeThreeKings

So, what happens when they're paired together and Andrei is seperated from Kovalev?

He gets the puck, dominates, makes a beauty feed to his brother, bam tied game.

Need I more evidence?

Old
11-08-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
So, what happens when they're paired together and Andrei is seperated from Kovalev?

He gets the puck, dominates, makes a beauty feed to his brother, bam tied game.

Need I more evidence?
lol! no probably not...and I think you've stated your case quite clearly since last year. I agree with it personally

However, I think AK46 also has some responsibility in this. I thought things changed for him last year when he had more of a 'take charge' type of attitude. Kovalev's gonna play the way he plays, that's how he is. I think even Plekanec has begun to understand this and he doesn't let Kovalev's 'creativity' affect the way he plays. It's time for AK46 to do the same. Sometimes he's too passive on the ice...you've seen the last two games in the 3rd period that he's shown more of a willingless to be selfish himself...he needs to do more of that.

Furthermore, guys like AK really suffer when the Habs take consecutive penalties like they've been doing. He doesn't play the PK so he sits on the bench cold for long periods of time. I think even Carbo mentionned him specifically as a guy who suffers when the Habs play indisciplined hockey.

While I agree, a move to RW and away from Kovalev could prove fruitful...I think he can be just as good playing where he is right now

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:51 AM
JrHockeyFan

What's up? Nice pass. Good shot. Tie game

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I don't know if this has been brought up anywhere else but during last nights game while watching it on center ice with the jackets feed, they said that when they talked to Carbo and his staff before the game, they were told that Sergei Kostitsyn is in the dog house and if he keeps it up would be on his way to sitting out a game healthy.

Guess his game tying goal bought him new life. I don't follow a lot of the media since I'm in the states but I was a bit surprised by this, I mean he hasn't looked great but he's still a young kid that's still in the development stage. Plus it likely means sitting him for a Dandenault or Begin which I'm sure wouldn't go over to well around here, at least with one "fan".

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't know if this has been brought up anywhere else but during last nights game while watching it on center ice with the jackets feed, they said that when they talked to Carbo and his staff before the game, they were told that Sergei Kostitsyn is in the dog house and if he keeps it up would be on his way to sitting out a game healthy.

Guess his game tying goal bought him new life. I don't follow a lot of the media since I'm in the states but I was a bit surprised by this, I mean he hasn't looked great but he's still a young kid that's still in the development stage. Plus it likely means sitting him for a Dandenault or Begin which I'm sure wouldn't go over to well around here, at least with one "fan".
He got that big goal last night.... lets see how it goes from here.

I'm sure that if he needs to be scratched it would only be a one game "WAKE UP" message from the staff and not a permanent thing. As much as young players need ice time and can't be sitting in the press box (i've argued this many times); sometimes you also need to send them a message. If Carbo feels that Sergei needs a wake up message to get the fire back in his game, well then so be it.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
I didn't hear them specifically mention the Habs staff but I heard one of the comments they made on that topic, I got the impression they had talked to members of the Montreal press in attendance, but maybe I completely misheard that comment

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:34 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I didn't hear them specifically mention the Habs staff but I heard one of the comments they made on that topic, I got the impression they had talked to members of the Montreal press in attendance, but maybe I completely misheard that comment
You are needed in the Left Wing Liberation thread.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Heske_44

Things are only going to get better for these two. In all fairness to Andrei he's been out there for a ton of goals. He's obviously a little tentative since his injury and that is fine. Andrei really has played only about 7 games and maybe 4-5 before the injury. That is nothing. If Andrei is still on this pace in February then we can revisit this.

As for SK he's playing on the third line and as far as I am concerned if he's out there killing off penalties that shows great promise for a kid to have this type of confidence instilled in the coach. The points will come and I was only expecting 40 or so anyways this year from him.

The silver lining is it is only going upwards for the bros.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
He got that big goal last night.... lets see how it goes from here.

I'm sure that if he needs to be scratched it would only be a one game "WAKE UP" message from the staff and not a permanent thing. As much as young players need ice time and can't be sitting in the press box (i've argued this many times); sometimes you also need to send them a message. If Carbo feels that Sergei needs a wake up message to get the fire back in his game, well then so be it.
It reminds me of what was done with Ribeiro from time to time, although it wasn't traumatic enough--it took the trade to Dallas to wake him up. It also didn't help much with Ryder or Latendresse last season, both of whom underachieved.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:53 AM
MasterD

Sergei is hitting the sophomore slump, no biggie IMO.
Andrei, well, plays on a line that hasn't fully clicked yet with 2 linemates who play as a duo more often than not... let's give the line some more time, and let's hope someone (Avery type of guy) pisses Kovalev off, then we'd see some magic!

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I strongly doubt Carbo or anybody from the coaching staff would have said that to the Press.
Carbo doesn't even want to give out his lines during the morning skate of a game day. So I strongly doubt he would have made such a remark.

I think he would try pairing up the Broz together because they seem pumped every time they play together. Also, I think it would be the right thing to do for the future because we know it's only a matter of time before they start playing together.

We actually have the depth to do it this season, I think Carbs should definitely start doing it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
You are needed in the Left Wing Liberation thread.
I figured my support would have been automatically assumed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heske_44 View Post
Things are only going to get better for these two. In all fairness to Andrei he's been out there for a ton of goals. He's obviously a little tentative since his injury and that is fine. Andrei really has played only about 7 games and maybe 4-5 before the injury. That is nothing. If Andrei is still on this pace in February then we can revisit this.
His +/- stat shows that he tends to be out there when goals are scored quite often, despite not having many points yet.

One telling stat is his shot total this year. He didn't shoot the puck a great deal last year, but by the end of the year, his linemates didn't have close to double the number of shots as him. So far this year, although he only missed 2 games, he has less than half as many shots as his linemates, both of whom lead the team in that stat. That is in part due to his play but also reflects (IMO) how that line has been playing this year. Kost is the 3rd guy on that line, the 3rd option, should the other two not get themselves into trouble too deep to actually find him. His tempo has slowed since that injury, but even before then when he was the hardest working guy on the line and hitting everything wearing the wrong coloured jersey, he wasn't able to get involved too much.

As 417 said, he needs to get more selfish. He has shown he can work hard enough for that line this year, if he continues playing there then he just needs to step up and use force to take control when he can. I'd love to see him return the favour to Kovalev, wait til #27 has the puck then skate over to him and take the puck off him and continue the play Wonder how Kovy would react?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote