HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halak to Colorado proposal...

Old
11-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Toro

vCash: 500
i seriously don't think gainey is shopping for a Defenceman right now. I'm sure his scouts are on top of it, staying up on the scoops but I doubt gainey makes a move before the deadline. If a Hammer gets injured long term then he does something but he won't do a trade just to be safe IF a guy goes down.

O'byrne get way too much flak around here. He is a 2nd year guy(not even, he hasn't played a whole year yet) and will get out of his funk. I have seen him play better than he has been so far this season, and believe that he will get his mojo going. If O'byrne gets going i will be very very happy with him there. He is a beast trying to learn consistancy and his comfort zone. He is young, he will get his time to earn his keep.(till the deadline anyway)

Like we all know, Gainey will make the moves to have the best team going into the end of the schedule and playoffs. This is the year he is going after the prize. He won't sell our future but he will make some noise.

edit: also if we trade a guy like Dandeneault. His whole salary doesn't get traded away. The money he has earned so far is still on our cap.

so when you trade Dandeneault and his 1.7 million salary, we only trade him and the remaining salary he is owed.

We can't just say he y lets trade dandy and his 1.7 million. We have just under 2 million in space and if we trade a dandy now, we will only gain around 1.2 million in space as that is roughly what is left on dandys contract

Last edited by Toro: 11-08-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
i seriously don't think gainey is shopping for a Defenceman right now. I'm sure his scouts are on top of it, staying up on the scoops but I doubt gainey makes a move before the deadline. If a Hammer gets injured long term then he does something but he won't do a trade just to be safe IF a guy goes down.

O'byrne get way too much flak around here. He is a 2nd year guy(not even, he hasn't played a whole year yet) and will get out of his funk. I have seen him play better than he has been so far this season, and believe that he will get his mojo going. If O'byrne gets going i will be very very happy with him there. He is a beast trying to learn consistancy and his comfort zone. He is young, he will get his time to earn his keep.(till the deadline anyway)

Like we all know, Gainey will make the moves to have the best team going into the end of the schedule and playoffs. This is the year he is going after the prize. He won't sell our future but he will make some noise.
Any other year Toro, and we'd be on the same page. But we can't afford to wait for O'Byrne to get his "mojo" back, and we certainly can't live with Brisebois as a permanent fixture in our top 6. None of the kids are ready to make the jump up from Hamilton either.

If Gainey waits until an injury happens to one of our top 3. It will be too late, and he will over pay like crazy to try and add the top 4 defenseman we need.

Also, if we can make some moves to have the cap space to acquire a top 4 type defenseman now. Why wait? Why not add him and let him play the majority of the regular season with us. Instead of picking up one at the deadline and take a chance of messing with the chemistry the team had developed during the year.

Edit: Good point, but the same rule applies to the player you are adding. His salary cap hit will be less as well.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Any other year Toro, and we'd be on the same page. But we can't afford to wait for O'Byrne to get his "mojo" back, and we certainly can't live with Brisebois as a permanent fixture in our top 6. None of the kids are ready to make the jump up from Hamilton either.

If Gainey waits until an injury happens to one of our top 3. It will be too late, and he will over pay like crazy to try and add the top 4 defenseman we need.

Also, if we can make some moves to have the cap space to acquire a top 4 type defenseman now. Why wait? Why not add him and let him play the majority of the regular season with us. Instead of picking up one at the deadline and take a chance of messing with the chemistry the team had developed during the year.

Edit: Good point, but the same rule applies to the player you are adding. His salary cap hit will be less as well.
Your right, but i was reffering mostly to the Sundin people. Sundin will not have used any of his salary as he will be newly signed.

What ever Happens regarding a trade for a D man, i still believe that our Defence is good enough to get us to the deadline where we will be able to afford the best guy out there as his salary will be only a couple months worth. Adding a guy now will most likely mean a small upgrade. Im my books not enough to change the chemistry as of yet. I guess I also have faith in our depth in Hamilton. My guess is that one of them will be ready to make the jump by the deadline if not sooner.

were in a good spot in the standings and still don't have our forwards clicking on all cylinders yet. I am not in the slightest nervous about our team. We are in the drivers seat.

Old
11-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Halak, Dandenault, Bouillon + 5th

-->

Leopold, Budaj + 6th

Although Halak will be worth much more in 2 or 3 years IMO..

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Your right, but i was reffering mostly to the Sundin people. Sundin will not have used any of his salary as he will be newly signed.

What ever Happens regarding a trade for a D man, i still believe that our Defence is good enough to get us to the deadline where we will be able to afford the best guy out there as his salary will be only a couple months worth. Adding a guy now will most likely mean a small upgrade. Im my books not enough to change the chemistry as of yet. I guess I also have faith in our depth in Hamilton. My guess is that one of them will be ready to make the jump by the deadline if not sooner.

were in a good spot in the standings and still don't have our forwards clicking on all cylinders yet. I am not in the slightest nervous about our team. We are in the drivers seat.
Oh ok, I see what you meant.

Personally I'm not disappointed with our defense. But I did get scared at the prospect of losing one of our big 3 when it looked like Hammer was hurt.

I also like our D-man depth in Hamilton. I just don't quite agree that any of them will be able to make the jump and contribute the way we would need them too.

I also agree that we are in the drivers seat. Which is the perfect time to make the move, because Gainey can set the terms for a trade. If we start to slump, or an injury happens, Gainey loses his edge.

Old
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Toro

Quote:
Oh ok, I see what you meant.

Personally I'm not disappointed with our defense. But I did get scared at the prospect of losing one of our big 3 when it looked like Hammer was hurt.

I also like our D-man depth in Hamilton. I just don't quite agree that any of them will be able to make the jump and contribute the way we would need them too.

I also agree that we are in the drivers seat. Which is the perfect time to make the move, because Gainey can set the terms for a trade. If we start to slump, or an injury happens, Gainey loses his edge.
Very good points, I wonder what Gainey thinks? This guy has some tough decisions to make/not make. This has got to be eating at him, does he make a move or not? He has many avenues to take to the playoffs. Does he like what he sees in Hamilton and O'byrne? Does he see a solution happening internally?

I still would guess that he stays the course and waits till something breaks down or not. It is still way early in the campaign, and if he does something soon, it sends the wrong message throughout our Defence depth. Philly made a move cause they lack any depth there. Especially with a couple top guys missing there.

Still, who knows? maybe Gainey has a trade in the works as we type? all I know is that I am glad were in this situation, with the team we have Were discussing possible improvements to an already kick A$$ team.

Old
11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Very good points, I wonder what Gainey thinks? This guy has some tough decisions to make/not make. This has got to be eating at him, does he make a move or not? He has many avenues to take to the playoffs. Does he like what he sees in Hamilton and O'byrne? Does he see a solution happening internally?

I still would guess that he stays the course and waits till something breaks down or not. It is still way early in the campaign, and if he does something soon, it sends the wrong message throughout our Defence depth. Philly made a move cause they lack any depth there. Especially with a couple top guys missing there.

Still, who knows? maybe Gainey has a trade in the works as we type? all I know is that I am glad were in this situation, with the team we have Were discussing possible improvements to an already kick A$$ team.
lol...I don't know what he could be thinking at this point. But wouldn't it be a dream come true if we were in his position for just one day?

I got a good laugh from the part I bolded. You're right though, the team hasn't been this good for a long time, and H10H still wants Gainey to make a trade.

H10H

Good debate

Old
11-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I see your point Toro, but you have to admit being a little nervous when we thought that Hammer might be injured. Just the thought of both Brisebois and O'Byrne having to be in the line up at the same time scared the **** out of me.

I'm not saying that we go out and get Leopold. But hopefully Gainey has his eyes open for a top 4 defenseman now, instead of waiting until the trade deadline.
With the way the cap works the quality of dman you can get then is so much greater than the quality of D you can get now.

Quote:
Sundin's salary would also be prorated. Just like Forsberg and Selanne last year.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

IMO the only attractive think about Halak right now is his salary. He'll have to play better to enhance his trade value. If the problem is that he doesn't play enough, that's unfortunate, because Price is better. The Devils are fortunate to have Kevin Wekes to step in for the 3-4 months Brodeur will be out. I don't think Halak would be able to handle an equivalent responsibility.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 06:48 AM
MrNasty

It may be Brett Clark the Habs are looking at according to Adrian Dater. He is a good 2-way d-man but some salary would need to go other way as he is paid 3.5M. The guy is another shot blocking machine.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2008...rk-scuttlebut/

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
With the way the cap works the quality of dman you can get then is so much greater than the quality of D you can get now.
I agree as it allows us to have more cap space available. But after watching our defense last night *minus Hammer*. Brisebois and O'Bryne are just not cutting it. We need to replace them soon, or risk burning out our top 3.