HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philadelphia-Montreal

Old
11-08-2008, 03:36 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Philadelphia-Montreal

From what I can see, Montreal has a general weakness in their organization at RW. Kovalev is aging and is an UFA coming this summer, and in the future Latendresse would be a stretch to be a first line RW and D'Agostini and Kristo don't project to be that great either. Kostopoulos and Laraque are both 3rd/4th line players. Philadelphia's goaltending prospects are laughable, and with the recent play of Biron and Niittymaki, the future doesn't look that bright. So...

To Montreal: Claude Giroux

To Philadelphia: Jaroslav Halak

Analysis: Giroux has 1st line potential as a RW, and fills a gap in the Montreal system as an explosive offensive RW who is good at both ends as well. Philadelphia gets a young goaltender who could step in this year or next. Feel free to critique the proposal as you see it.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Dick Whitman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
From what I can see, Montreal has a general weakness in their organization at RW. Kovalev is aging and is an UFA coming this summer, and in the future Latendresse would be a stretch to be a first line RW and D'Agostini and Kristo don't project to be that great either. Kostopoulos and Laraque are both 3rd/4th line players. Philadelphia's goaltending prospects are laughable, and with the recent play of Biron and Niittymaki, the future doesn't look that bright. So...

Analysis: Giroux has 1st line potential as a RW, and fills a gap in the Montreal system as an explosive offensive RW who is good at both ends as well. Philadelphia gets a young goaltender who could step in this year or next. Feel free to critique the proposal as you see it.
Interesting. What would you guys do with 3 goaltenders? Have any proposals for Antero?

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Captain Saku

Kovalev
Latendresse
A.Kost
S. Kost
Tanguay

They all can play RW!!!

Our main weakness is at #4 D position

So if you want Halak give us a #4 Dman. But again, market for goalies is not very high so I doubt Halak would land us a good defenseman.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Kovalev
Latendresse
A.Kost
S. Kost
Tanguay

They all can play RW!!!

What he said

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

Did Giroux ever play center? That's where he could be most valuable in the future

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, I don't feel like it's very relevant to project an organizational weakness there, as even if you didn't have a variety of guys who are "officially" RWers, you could pretty readily swap a few guys around from other forward spots. Kovalev is playing better than he has in a long time (ever?) and based on the way he trains I don't think I'd predict a quick demise from him.

Anyway, all that said, maybe it's the kind of thing to consider in this off-season, or next, depending on how Halak progresses and whether he starts pushing the organization to be set free for a starting job. Meanwhile, we do need him more than any prospect at any position.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:42 PM
TCIH

I'd do this trade, though I'd prefer if Gainey could acquire a (cheap) backup before he signed off on it.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:47 PM
chaosof99*

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
I'd like to give Giroux another shot before trading him. I was really excited about him but I think I, and many other Flyers fans, have overrated him a bit or expected too much from him too quickly.

Halak is a good goalie but I am not sure that we need him right now. We already have 3 mid-to low level goalies on the 50 man roster and I don't think we need a fourth one without cutting one of the three loose. The problem is that all three will be UFA at the end of the season. Personally I'm keeping my hopes up that we might land Khabibulin in 09 (yeah, unrealistic dreams).

I would also like to see how Biron and Niitty play when they have a full NHL level defence in front of them, something that hasn't happened yet this season.

It's just not the right deal right now. This is a deal that might happen in the summer of 2009, but not now.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:55 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

I was just going by what the roster on the Montreal web site said. They listed Tanguay, Sergei Kostitsyn, and Andrei Kostitsyn all as left handed LW. What are the chances that Tanguay re-signs considering Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Begin, Kostoupolos, Bouillion, Komisarek, and Brisebois among others all re-sign? I know Montreal's got a lot of guys to give new contracts to, and I'm sure that Komisarek and Kovalev are going to want some pay raises.

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 11-08-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old
11-08-2008, 03:56 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Did Giroux ever play center? That's where he could be most valuable in the future
He did in juniors, yes.

Old
11-08-2008, 03:56 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascov View Post
Kovalev
Latendresse
A.Kost
S. Kost
Tanguay

They all can play RW!!!

So if you want Halak give us a #4 Dman. But again, market for goalies is not very high so I doubt Halak would land us a good defenseman.
Halak for Carle or Parent?

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:57 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Interesting. What would you guys do with 3 goaltenders? Have any proposals for Antero?
Biron and Niittymaki are UFAs at the end of the season. I'd imagine if this happened we would re-sign one of them and let the other walk depending on their performances the rest of the year and the salary they are commanding.

Old
11-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Michael Scofield

along the lines of:
PHI: Kukkonen, Giroux, Niittymaki
MTL: Halak, Lapierre +

??

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 04:00 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
considering how badly the flyers are looking for top4 defensemen, i'd say no.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 04:02 PM
guest1467

Quote:
I was just going by what the roster on the Montreal web site said. They listed Tanguay, Sergei Kostitsyn, and Andrei Kostitsyn all as left handed RW. What are the chances that Tanguay re-signs considering Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Begin, Kostoupolos, Bouillion, Komisarek, and Brisebois among others all re-sign? I know Montreal's got a lot of guys to give new contracts to, and I'm sure that Komisarek and Kovalev are going to want some pay raises.
I doubt any of these players re-sign, and you can add Dandenault to that list as well.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I was just going by what the roster on the Montreal web site said. They listed Tanguay, Sergei Kostitsyn, and Andrei Kostitsyn all as left handed RW. What are the chances that Tanguay re-signs considering Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Begin, Kostoupolos, Bouillion, Komisarek, and Brisebois among others all re-sign? I know Montreal's got a lot of guys to give new contracts to, and I'm sure that Komisarek and Kovalev are going to want some pay raises.
1) Lang, Bouillion, and Brisebois are all gone.... we are deep in defensive prospects and the two d will no longer be needed... Lang is 38 and a one year solution. He will be replaced by maxwell or chipchura who will come cheaper.

2) the top priority is komisarek.... 2nd-4th will be Kovalev, Koivu, Tanguay, I'm not sure the order; it will depend on their seasons.... If one or 2 of them are willing to take small discounts we can get all 4 guys signed.... there is approx 22million to go around between the four of them.... that works at 5 mill each for Komo and Koivu... 6 each for Kovalev, Tanguay... as starting points... move a few hundred grand around here or there and we are fine.

3) Kostopolous is pretty cheap and would need to be replaced by a rookie anyway.. there is no savings to be found here.... and no big increase either.

4) money for point two will be saved on dandenault (1.8million) and Begin (over 1 million) as well

5) Giroux would be a nice addition to our prospects and I'd love to have him if you are willing to do this trade at the draft table next year. However right now we need Halak. We saw this week how quickly things can change if you have a fluke injury (Brodeur); but I don't feel confident at all in letting Halak go and being one injury away from having Marc Denis be our starter in the playoffs.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I think it would have to be infeasible for the Habs to trade Halak unless they get a deal that is very literally too good to be true. Too good to be true would be to get a bona fide guaranteed contributor on D. Present tense. Somebody who we would say fills our #4 spot, but really, not just fills it, but fills it to extreme perfection... which means the calibre of player is far above what is league-wide considered a "#4" guy. And still fits our cap.

But nobody is going to trade that (if it even exists) for an unproven young goalie, the NHL trade market just doesn't do that.

Hence the Habs don't trade Halak. Period.

Old
11-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scofield View Post
along the lines of:

??
Maxime Lappierre isin't going anywhere, sorry

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I was just going by what the roster on the Montreal web site said. They listed Tanguay, Sergei Kostitsyn, and Andrei Kostitsyn all as left handed LW. What are the chances that Tanguay re-signs considering Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Begin, Kostoupolos, Bouillion, Komisarek, and Brisebois among others all re-sign? I know Montreal's got a lot of guys to give new contracts to, and I'm sure that Komisarek and Kovalev are going to want some pay raises.
There are probably numerous threads on the Habs board proving that we can return the core of our team for around $54M. It assumes non-wide-open-crazy-UFA contracts for our free agents, and it assumes that the casualties are Lang, Begin, Bouillon, Dandenault, and Brisebois.

I would say Bouillon is perhaps the only guy in that group with any chance of returning, since he's pretty good at what he does, and has a strong presence in the community. But his pricetag may make that impossible. Not a problem in any of those cases.

And further reason why there's no real pressure or incentive to trade Halak. He's good, he's cheap, he fits his spot on the roster and the payroll extremely well. The team doesn't (and for next year shouldn't) have any gaps of sufficient magnitude to justify shaking up that nice situation.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:05 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
After what I saw from Carle tonight, I don't want to trade him.

Old
11-08-2008, 09:20 PM
puzzle

Quote:
I'm glad to hear it cause nobody wants him...

puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Mr Lahey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scofield View Post
along the lines of:

??
+ Max Pac...

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 10:00 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I hope to god Gainey shares a different view. There is nothing Lapierre does on the ice that makes him remotely close to untouchable.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy17 View Post
+ Max Pac...
Not unless you are gonna add Coburn as your "throw in"

This is my fancy way of saying Max Pac is going nowhere

However if you want the poster MaxPac I'm willing to trade him for Miami Screaming Eagles and his GDTs.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 10:21 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Not unless you are gonna add Coburn as your "throw in"

This is my fancy way of saying Max Pac is going nowhere

However if you want the poster MaxPac I'm willing to trade him for Miami Screaming Eagles and his GDTs.
NEVER!!!!