HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Call-ups

Old
11-08-2008, 03:26 PM
WithOutPaperss

vCash: 500
Call-ups

Well the other night I had my Midget B game, where my team got hammered 9-1 with me scoring the only goal. I then got called up to a Midget A game directly after and got 1 goal and 1 assist.

The Midget A game was 10 times faster and many people said I fit right in.

My only question is do I have a problem playing against/with slower and less skilled players, because I played and felt better in the Midget A against better players than I did in the Midget B game.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:33 PM
db88

play midget A. plain and simple

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 04:08 PM
PIMking

some people have the problem that they play up to the talent around them and down to the talent they are playing.

I am one of them.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 06:42 PM
UVALacrosse

play A.

sounds like you play with the levels you're with. Play down for B, play up for A.

lots of people do it.

UVALacrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37 View Post
Well the other night I had my Midget B game, where my team got hammered 9-1 with me scoring the only goal. I then got called up to a Midget A game directly after and got 1 goal and 1 assist.

My only question is do I have a problem playing against/with slower and less skilled players, because I played and felt better in the Midget A against better players than I did in the Midget B game.
PIMking said it all! Players always play to the level they are at. If you get placed in to higher level, you will always adjust to this new level because of a lot of variables.

One of these variables is that you feel that you should be there and you are afraid of making yourself look like an A**. This fear has a tendency to bring up your game so you can belong or be one of the guys. The last thing you want to hear in the dressing room from all of the guys is that you suck!

This is why you increase your play. Now, did the coach say that you are going to stay? Or was it just a one time thing? If it was a one time thing, buddy, you went in there and did the job. Good chance will be that you will be asked to stay.

However, it you don't get the call, then you have to figure out how to keep that type of intensity on your Midget B team. If you can stay focused and hold that intensity, you are really going to be a scoring machine.

Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 11-10-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
PIMking said it all! Players always play to the level they are at. If you get placed in to higher level, you will always adjust to this new level because of a lot of variables.

One of these variables is that you feel that you should be there and you are afraid of making yourself look like an A**. This fear has a tendency to bring up your game so you can belong or be one of the guys. The last thing you want to hear in the dressing room from all of the guys is that you suck!

This is why you increase your play. How, did the coach say that you are going to stay? Or was it just a one time thing? If it was a one time thing, buddy, you went in there and did the job. Good chance will be that you will be asked to stay.

However, it you don't get the call, then you have to figure out how to keep that type of intensity on your Midget B team. If you can stay focused and hold that intensity, you are really going to be a scoring machine.

Head coach
In our league you can get called up as many times as you want before Christmas, and after that you get called up around 6 times I think.

As a matter of fact though I did pick up my game tonight in Midget B and am playing in Midget A again.

I think you're right though Head Coach, I thought I belonged there instead of B so I went out and tried to prove it.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:51 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37 View Post

It doesn't shock me at all. Hockey is a team game, and if you're surrounded by better players your game will improve, just as long as you can keep up with the pace and physicality.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:45 PM
zakhawk91

play what ever one you like better is my advice

zakhawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:24 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakhawk91 View Post
play what ever one you like better is my advice
That's usually not the player's choice.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:46 AM
beardedgraf

lower levels youll obviously stand out more, but playing with players at your level or a higher level will make your passes better, your mistakes look smaller, and your skill set will continue to develop instead of plateauing

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:53 AM
frito

The other thing you need to consider in regards to your initial question, is that hockey is a team sport. You will only be as good as the cast of characters around you. If you are the primary threat on your B team, with very little threat throughout the rest of the team, all the other team has to do is hone in on you and you, as well as youy team, is essentially shut down.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:06 PM
MikeD

Here is a bit of motivation for while you are playing "B".

As a good team mate, you encourage those around you, both lower skilled, equals and those above you. By maintaining your level of play/enthusiasm, you set an example that is contagious. These are the qualities of a "captain". You do not berate, you educate. Dont be afraid to also do just s much listening to your team mates as you might in talking To them. HUMBLE... Your impact to the B team can be more than on the scoreboard. Be sure to find out EXACTLY how many times you can be called up. You just might like to keep your committment to the team you signed with for the reaminder of this season. You dont want to be FORCED. Any self respecting A coach would understand if you took such a position of loyalty to your B team. In fact, its likely to raise the A Coach's appraisal of you as a player and a person.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote