HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Price ready to dethrone King Marty for 2010 start?

Old
11-08-2008, 02:51 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Youppi can't quit. The habs own him!
Then, someone must kill him.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 02:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
The Top 5 is gonna be Brodeur, Luongo, Turco, Price and Fleury. That's the order in selection likely as well. One of those guys (Brodeur, Luongo, Turco) will have to go down before Price can slide in.
I like Turco but he has been pretty bad this year and he'll be around 35 during the Olympics, they will go with a younger option. What are the chances it gets down to the 3rd goalie anyways? Might as well make it a young guy.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Toro

Not yet....

but maybe by then, who knows

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I like Turco but he has been pretty bad this year and he'll be around 35 during the Olympics, they will go with a younger option. What are the chances it gets down to the 3rd goalie anyways? Might as well make it a young guy.
I agree.... the third spot should be used to groom a young guy for 2014 or the next world cup if the NHL decides they don't want to do the olympic thing anymore.

Price is fighting Cam Ward, and Marc-Andre Fleury for that spot IMO.

Mike Smith is mentionned in the article, but hes a longshot.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Tricolore#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Price has all of this year to prove his true calibre and I assume Canada will have some sort of invite camp where he can make noise. Stevie Y and company will probably want to have a young goalie as a 3rd incase the NHL does allow its players to go in 2014. The only other strong young option is Fleury, who is sporadic and was a reason Canada lost in the WJC, so Price definitely has the advantage.
Fleury may have been the reason Canada lost in 2004, but that was 5 years ago. He has grown leaps and bounds since then, and was steady enough to get to the Stanley Cup Finals last year. So far that's more than what Price has done, and you can argue that Price was the reason the Habs lost in the playoffs last year, even though the Canadiens were a much better team than the Flyers. Right now, Fleury would be ahead of Price for that reason. Of course, Price could win the Stanley Cup this year and completely change that argument, but to discount Fleury at this moment for that reason is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
No way Giguere is making team Canada, this guy is so overrated, he is lucky to play for a team like Anaheim, he is big but so slow.. Price is already head and shoulder better technically and his play with the puck is an asset you can deny..
Price might be a better technical goalie (and trust me, I loathe Giguere because he clearly cheats), but Giguere has accomplished incredible things at the professional level, and has won big pressure games. He is lucky to play for a team like Anaheim? Team Canada will be even better than Anaheim, and he'll fit in nicely. Also, he carried the Ducks to a game within winning the Stanley Cup in 2003. Seems like most people forget that. His professional record is what it comes down to, and unfortunately for us Canadiens fans, that's what it comes down to. It's a short tournament that requires instant massive performance.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
TCIH

Quote:
No way Giguere is making team Canada, this guy is so overrated, he is lucky to play for a team like Anaheim, he is big but so slow.. Price is already head and shoulder better technically and his play with the puck is an asset you can deny..
As Tricolore#20 said, he has a much better record in big games (especially at the NHL level, being a huge reason the Ducks got to the finals in 03 and won the cup in 07).

And Price a better technical goalie? Hey, I think Price is great too but aside from pushing-the-limit equiptment, incredible technical understanding of the game is one of the biggest reasons Giguere is as highly regarded as he is. It's why he's so successful; he knows how to cut down angles and move laterally in spite of his planet-sized chest-protector.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Hi , Dan, I don't know if Price's development will reach that stage or not, but if Youppi quits, I'm nominating you.
Thanks mcphee. I've been looking for something to supplement my income ever since I quit calling bingo. That just might be my calling.
On a side note, I have class with Mike Mcphee's daughter. She's a real nice girl.

danboulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 04:13 PM
guest1467

Quote:
A final appearance and a Stanley Cup were achieved because the team played on his shoulders. If anything, he is under rated; when push comes to shove, Giguere is dynamite.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Maximus Taylor

no..

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 10:41 PM
TheCH*

Price has a tons of progression to do in order to even make the team, he shows flashes but is far from consistent. Luongo is a shoo-in for starter as far as i'm concerned.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 02:49 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Price has a tons of progression to do in order to even make the team, he shows flashes but is far from consistent. Luongo is a shoo-in for starter as far as i'm concerned.
Luongo is definitely the number one guy. Price might fight for the third spot.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 02:55 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by danboulie View Post
Thanks mcphee. I've been looking for something to supplement my income ever since I quit calling bingo. That just might be my calling.
On a side note, I have class with Mike Mcphee's daughter. She's a real nice girl.
no 'stache, I assume ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote