HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suspend Kosto

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Adam91

vCash: 500
Suspend Kosto

Just heard Van Ryn has broken: hand, finger, and nose as well as a concussion. I'm sorry but as a diehard Habs fan I'll be the first to admit that was a dirty hit, has no place in the game, Kosto deserves a small suspension.

Old
11-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
I don't think your the first to admit this. Everyone agrees it was a dirty hit.

Old
11-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Travis Moen

What is the difference between this hit and the hit AKost suffered a few weeks ago?

Old
11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
The only mitigating circumstance I can see is that Kostopoulos appeared to regret the hit the second after he did it. I don't think there was malicious intent. It's a fast game and he didn't use his brain. Shouldn't surprise us with Kostopoulos. Still, it's too little too late and you have to think before you act. A short suspension is probably fitting, but I'm not sure it will happen.

Old
11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
redmachine54

I feel bad for both Kostopoulos and Van Ryn (moreso the latter). Kostopoulos is a rough player, but I'm sure even he knows the stupidity of the hit... he's a great team guy, and it's a little disappointing to see him being the one to make that kind of hit.

Old
11-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Beakermania*

Noone has denied that it was dirty.

Old
superstar436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
What is the difference between this hit and the hit AKost suffered a few weeks ago?

that one you had to replay the clip many times to decide whether it was an elbow to the head or a legal hit. This one there is not doubt what so ever. It is illegal

Old
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
I don't think your the first to admit this. Everyone agrees it was a dirty hit.
touche, mostly I just posted to point out how severe Van Ryn's injuries turned out to be.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
24 And Counting*

What about Smurfovsky butt-end?

I think Kosto deserves a one game suspension at most.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

How many did Jones get for Bergeron?

Because i heard plenty of people on the other side saying he left himself vulnerable for the hit.
Van Ryn isnt a rookie, he took his time with his back to the play. Is the hit excusable? no.

But for me, its the same mistake as a guy who crosses the neutral zone with his head down. Eventually someone will obliterate him if he isnt more attentive.

In saying that, 2-3 games at most.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Call me an ******* or whatever, but I absolutely love hits like that. Steve Downie became one of my favorite players because of his hit on McAmmond last season.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Preparing to get flamed here, but this is ****ing ********.

Kosto didn't intent to injure him like the BS morons in Toronto called, Van Ryn saw the hit coming; not saying it's clean, but let's be reasonable here, it wasn't intentional, Kosto isn't a dirty player.

Calling for our own players to be suspended, new low guys, new low...

Old
11-08-2008, 11:34 PM
znk

I agree he should get a suspension but god damn it I'm sick of seeing player turn their back to the play. Coaches used to teach us never to do that and now they all do it. And once in a while this happens.
When you're the guy giving the hit you cant guess which player will play it as expected and which will turn at the last second.

Same goes for player who skate with their head between their legs or admire their drop passes (A.Kost)
If I dont make my stop at an intersection and I get hit by a truck well....I have some responsibility in it.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:37 PM
second58th

Number one rule of a D Man... Protect yourself!

If he had of protected himself everyone would have talked about what a great hit it was!

I'm sick and tired of players not protecting themselves and even turning into the boards before a hit in order to draw penalties. TK didn't mean to do it, that was pretty obvious about that. For that to be a game is just BS!

I think it's time for this to be adressed by the league, but it wont.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:40 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinine View Post

Kosto didn't intent to injure him like the BS morons in Toronto called, Van Ryn saw the hit coming; not saying it's clean, but let's be reasonable here, it wasn't intentional, Kosto isn't a dirty player.

Nobody is saying he's a dirty player. We're saying that one hit was a dirty hit.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinine View Post

It's called being honest, it was an illegal hit plain and simple. He didn't let up and followed through with his check when he could obviously see Van Ryn's numbers. Infact I'm watching it again right now on CBC, and I can't believe you're questioning the hit.

As for calling out one of our players. He did something wrong and he should be punished for it. I'd be saying the exact same thing if it were any player that played for the Habs.

I strongly suggest you go and look at the replay.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
that one you had to replay the clip many times to decide whether it was an elbow to the head or a legal hit. This one there is not doubt what so ever. It is illegal
I still don't see it as a difference.
If hits like that are illegal to the point of deserving suspensions, and rightfully so, then so should hits to the head be.

Also, most hits to the head come when players aren't even looking in the same direction, they don't know the hit is coming. Whereas in this situation, the player very well knows he's about to get hit yet puts himself in a very vulnerable position.

If the good old saying of ''keep your head up'' applies when players get destroyed after a head shot, then why aren't we saying ''don't turn your back'' when a player is rushing for puck knowing someone is racing behind him.

I think both these type of hits should be banned, not just one. That's what I find stupid.

Old
11-08-2008, 11:56 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Even if, and especially when, a player turns his body face first(anteriorly)toward the boards when going for the puck, the onus is on the opposition player to hit him cleanly. No excuses, period. Yes, Kosto should be suspended.

Last edited by ToysInTheAttic: 11-09-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old
11-09-2008, 12:06 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Yeah, the way the hit ended up wasn't clean at all. But I'm not sure Kosto meant to hit Van Ryn like this. It's like Van Ryn tried to change direction and turned his back on the play, and it happened really fast too. It's not like head hunting, just a hit that didn't go the way it should have. BTW, I've been the first against the recent wave of hits we've seen, but I never thought the hit on Bergeron was that bad, when a player turns his back and he actually saw the other guy coming, sometimes it's too late to avoid a bad outcome. But I'm not saying it was fine...

Old
11-09-2008, 12:08 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It's called being honest, it was an illegal hit plain and simple. He didn't let up and followed through with his check when he could obviously see Van Ryn's numbers. Infact I'm watching it again right now on CBC, and I can't believe you're questioning the hit.

As for calling out one of our players. He did something wrong and he should be punished for it. I'd be saying the exact same thing if it were any player that played for the Habs.

I strongly suggest you go and look at the replay.
What's the expected play for Van Ryn in that situation? To a player in Kosto's position it appears Van Ryn will pick up the puck in the corner and round the boards to the back of the net. But as Van Ryn realises he's going to get crushed if he does that he decides to abruptly break and turn back the other way. He still got nailed....and it was worst. I've been in both positions in the past and I never ever did what Van Ryn did.

Old
11-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
What's the expected play for Van Ryn in that situation? To a player in Kosto's position it appears Van Ryn will pick up the puck in the corner and round the boards to the back of the net. But as Van Ryn realises he's going to get crushed if he does that he decides to abruptly break and turn back the other way. He still got nailed....and it was worst. I've been in both positions in the past and I never ever did what Van Ryn did.
I would say he should have went in for the puck with his body on an angle. That's what I was always taught while playing little league hockey. I don't know why he decided to turn back, but your reasons make sense.

As for Kosto, he didn't let up at all, when he had plenty of time to. I know the game is played at a very high speed. But sitting in the stands tonight, I was able to see Van Ryn's numbers quite clearly.

If you watch the replay *the game is on right now on CBC and they are showing the hit again*. You could see Van Ryn's numbers from just before the goal line. Which doesn't mean that Kosto could have stopped, or avoided him entirely, but he could have let up. He didn't and continued to follow through with his check.

Old
11-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I still don't see it as a difference.
If hits like that are illegal to the point of deserving suspensions, and rightfully so, then so should hits to the head be.

Also, most hits to the head come when players aren't even looking in the same direction, they don't know the hit is coming. Whereas in this situation, the player very well knows he's about to get hit yet puts himself in a very vulnerable position.

If the good old saying of ''keep your head up'' applies when players get destroyed after a head shot, then why aren't we saying ''don't turn your back'' when a player is rushing for puck knowing someone is racing behind him.

I think both these type of hits should be banned, not just one. That's what I find stupid.
While that might be true, they aren't illegal. So, there's still a huge difference between the two hits.

Old
11-09-2008, 01:12 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I don't think he went in with an intent to injure Van Ryn. As has been said, the look on his face after the hit was one of regret. That being said, when you hit someone so hard they break their hand, their finger and get a concussion you are not pulling your check and when you are looking at someone's numbers you should be pulling your check.

I like Kostopoulos I think he is a stand up player but a suspension should be coming his way.

Old
11-09-2008, 01:19 AM
anarmandaleb

I'm thinking it'll either be something ridiculous like a 1-game suspension, or something ridiculous like a 10-game one.
As much as I hate to say it, that hit deserves about a 3-5 game-suspension.

Old
11-09-2008, 01:26 AM
Stradale

I dont agree with most of you guys, i didnt thought it was dirty. Kostopoulos clearly didnt want to do that. Van Ryn bend down a bit just before getting to the board and both of them was at the same speed and Kosto just hit him like a normal play that we see in everygame but Van Ryn clearly put himself in a vulnerable position. Im not trying to protect TKO or putting the blame on Van Ryn, but come on, he knew TKO was coming, it was very dangerous to put your head toward the board like that knowing damn well the guy behind you going at full speed will finish he hit.

Last edited by Stradale: 11-09-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Closed Thread