HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Laraque too much of a nice guy?

Old
11-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
Is Laraque too much of a nice guy?

I haven't seen Laraques nasty side at all this season. He only fights guys that he thinks may be able to give me a run at the heavyweight title of the league and will not fight anyone just to get the team going. I guess it was the same story in Edmonton.

Is Laraque too much of a nice guy and a waste of money?

Habs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Definitely not a waste of money. He gives it his all every game and is very servicable, Guy just hasn't found how to use him properly yet.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:00 AM
RE-HABS

Laroque is a pitbull on a leash, the owner is Carbo and soon enough Carbo is going to let his pitbull of the leash. This isn't a case of Laroque not fighting, or picking certain guys to fight it is how Carbo wants to use him and when...Carbo will set the tone soon enough.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:00 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
LOL +1

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:02 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

What did you want him to do? Go after Grabovski?

Brisebois could beat up Grabovski, and he pee's fabric softener!!!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I was really hoping Sergei and Grabovski would have gone at it. Damn refs.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:13 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
See them trying hold back Sergei? Grabovski didn't seem interested in anything more then running his mouth... I think Sergei was going to show him how ice hockey is played in North America.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Blades 0f Steel

What the hell?

He still needs to get into game shape & was slow as hell last night. Carbo should have never given him that much ice time in the 3rd.

But saying he's "too nice" when he couldn't have made an impact one way or the other is just...silly. Completely irrelevant to what transpired last night. I think you should have spent more time dwelling on our team defence & crappy outlet passes, maybe start a thread on that.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:20 AM
smon

Well, it's tough for Laraque to get involved since almost no one will fight him. For example, the Leafs had no one who would dare to tussle with Laraque. Maybe Hollweg would be crazy enough to, but I don't think he was dressed. Georges can cycle the puck effectively because of his size, since it's nearly impossible for a defender to get him off the puck. I kinda agree that his presence hasn't been felt in any of the Canadiens' recent games, he could play a more physical game and hit more often.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Laraque is not a Godard, he plays smart and doesn't take stupid penalties to act tough.

That's why he's the best in the business.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Grabovski was hiding, he wouldn't have fought.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Grabovski was hiding, he wouldn't have fought.
If Grab (little puke as i refer to him) would have fought Sergeï he would have felt like Kostopoulos fighting Chris Neil (read: owned).

And ther's not a lot of people in the league who would accept to drop the gloves with Laraque, he doesn't have the choice to fight enforcers, or else he would have to attack unwilling opponent take a penality and be suspended. I think that komisarek should go back to his old habits and take on fighters that are afraid of Laraque.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Maliki2

The problem is that Grabs and others were running Price the whole game. Laraque should have gone out there and destroyed someone. I don't care if your Grabs or if your Tucker. You can't allow this to happen and this is the reason why we got him in the first place.

If you take shots at our tender you deserve to pay the price.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:36 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
The problem is that Grabs and others were running Price the whole game. Laraque should have gone out there and destroyed someone. I don't care if your Grabs or if your Tucker. You can't allow this to happen and this is the reason why we got him in the first place.

Good point. To be honest, I thought the main reason we got Laraque was to prevent guys from taking liberties with our team. Heck, even Laraque mentioned that when he got signed.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:42 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

BGL doesnt need to run around just to how tough he is, he does his job when its needed and thats all we need from him. remember he did go after Sauer when he hit Akost.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

It's called team toughness. If your goalie is run by little guys, you don't need to send a 260lb enforcer to take care of it. Laraque was useless, & I expect him to be useless against some teams.

"ZOMG Laraque should have taken 7 PIM + a game misconduct on some unsuspecting player to let the rest of the team deal with the aftermath! Makes perfect sense to me!"

Old
11-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Carbo N8

It's not up to Laraque to right every wrong that's ever done to the Habs, 20 players dress for every game. If Price gets run, then someone who is on the ice needs to deal with it, or as happened last night, Price needs to deliver his own message every now & then.

Gainey & Carbo have outlined to Laraque what they expect of him & I'm sure it has been strongly outlined that stupid penalties while trying to start something with reluctant participants aren't a part of his job description.

Players & fans have to stop waiting for Georges to take care of business & have the team deal with it as a group.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

The last to game, since Carbo told everyone that THIS is our fourth line, Georges played very nicely. He hit like a train too! I layed some bodys yesterday!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Blades 0f Steel

By the way, here's some perspective for you guys complaining about Laraque:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=16235136

Old
11-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Pascal

Quote:

Yea that's right but the problem with the NHL is the ridiculous instigator rule. Basically you can chop someone's head off but no one can really "come after you" or they'll get ejected/suspended.

They should let the players police themselves like in the good old days.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 11:44 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
I haven't seen Laraques nasty side at all this season. He only fights guys that he thinks may be able to give me a run at the heavyweight title of the league and will not fight anyone just to get the team going. I guess it was the same story in Edmonton.

Is Laraque too much of a nice guy and a waste of money?

is price good enough?

should we sign sundin?

why is sergei in a slump?

is plekanec playing bad this year?

lats gained weight?

what if Carbo got fired?

I found a way to get over these threads in the last couple of days... but seriously bro, George Laraque, besisdes fighting when he needs to (comeback against isles, shawn thornton, fedoruk) , he is starting to play decent hockey , using his size... do you held him responsible for not playing well in the games he wasn't dressed? ... he did all that playing with an injury...

I mean , seriously ... he is worth every penny of it so far, and expect him to demonstrate that even more throughout the season... if you want to assess the clubs performance after only 10 games is one thing, but be fair, wait until he plays his 10th game...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Newhabfan

Laraque's job is to prevent the opponent from trying to intimidate physically our team, like the Yotes did.

There was no attempt like that from Toronto last night - they beat us with skill and speed. It was not for him to do anything - it was the job of the top 3 lines.

As for small players rushing Price....we got two PP goals out of them. 'Nuff said.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 11:59 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Laraque's job is to prevent the opponent from trying to intimidate physically our team, like the Yotes did.

There was no attempt like that from Toronto last night - they beat us with skill and speed. It was not for him to do anything - it was the job of the top 3 lines.

As for small players rushing Price....we got two PP goals out of them. 'Nuff said.
good flippin' post... you speak the truth my friend.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
Quote:

My point exactly.

Habs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote