HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Laraque too much of a nice guy?

Old
11-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Magic33

vCash: 500
Laraque is there to lay out some bodies, but i find he is doing really well down low in the offensive zone. He knows his role. Keep the puck deep, cycle, tire out their Dmen, try to create something then get off the ice. He has been doing that the last couple games.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Laraque has never been a "mean" guy... He does his job fairly well and he intimidates people, but he's not going to cheap-shot everybody... He's no Hollweg...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 02:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I called Laraque's mom a ***** the other night, he just called me up.

"Please refrain from calling my mother derogotory names, I would greatly appreciate your co-operation in this matter."

Super classy guy.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 02:26 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
I haven't seen Laraques nasty side at all this season. He only fights guys that he thinks may be able to give me a run at the heavyweight title of the league and will not fight anyone just to get the team going. I guess it was the same story in Edmonton.

Is Laraque too much of a nice guy and a waste of money?
Laraque's head is in Edmonton. His business, his "friends"...

He just found out that Carbo doesn't know how to use him. He must regret to have signed with the Habs.

Anyway. Laraque did not help Pittsburg nor Edmonton to win a Cup. He won't in Montreal too.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 02:28 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post

He just found out that Carbo doesn't know how to use him. He must regret to have signed with the Habs.

Anyway. Laraque did not help Pittsburg nor Edmonton to win a Cup. He won't in Montreal too.
Aren't you Mr.Positive.

I'd have a four letter word for ya, but apparently its against board rules these days.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Carbo N8

[QUOTE=CanadienErrant;16238131]Laraque's head is in Edmonton. His business, his "friends"...

Anyway. Laraque did not help Pittsburg nor Edmonton to win a Cup. He won't in Montreal too.[/QUOTE]

Anybody in any of those 3 cities that seriously thought adding him was a key to winning a cup needs a reality check.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Yea that's right but the problem with the NHL is the ridiculous instigator rule. Basically you can chop someone's head off but no one can really "come after you" or they'll get ejected/suspended.

They should let the players police themselves like in the good old days.
unless your name is colaiacovo

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Mike8

Laraque's an anchor on that fourth line.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

I don't think it's fair to expect any player who plays 5-10 minutes a game to be the difference in your team winning the cup or not.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't think it's fair to expect any player who plays 5-10 minutes a game to be the difference in your team winning the cup or not.

Well aren't you Mr. Goody Two Shoes, with those rational responses and keeping your emotions in check here.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 03:40 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Laraque's an anchor on that fourth line.
cuz he's so slow?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
cuz he's so slow?
Exactly.

I see the value in Laraque, but I also see him limiting the usefulness of that fourth line. Okay, so he's solid at protecting the puck, but he has yet to really generate scoring chances based on that skill. And he's just so incredibly slow, which compromises Lapierre's game entirely.

The fourth line tended to be a line that flew around, making a couple of hits, and generate scoring chances based on outskating the opposition and quick cycling down low. Laraque is everything contrary to that.

I see Laraque as rendering Lapierre virtually useless.

Old
11-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

laraque is completely out of sync right now. He is unable to sheild the puck like he usually does, and he's getting to loose pucks a split second late. I think the fact that he didnt get to play in the pre season has set him back a bit. As for the toronto game, I'm not sure what he can do. You want him to go after grabovski or something? He's not that kind of player.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
laraque is completely out of sync right now. He is unable to sheild the puck like he usually does, and he's getting to loose pucks a split second late. I think the fact that he didnt get to play in the pre season has set him back a bit. As for the toronto game, I'm not sure what he can do. You want him to go after grabovski or something? He's not that kind of player.
We need more guys like Lucic, Clowe or Richards (Philly)- Guys who can skate, hit and score.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
It is not his job to go after Grabovski. A Heavyweight against a very Lightweight.... If a guy would have take a run on Grabovski, it would have been the job of Lapierre, Bégin. Not Laraque.

And for the past two games, Laraque was solid in the offensive zone. He will only get better with his game shape!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
It is not his job to go after Grabovski. A Heavyweight against a featherweight.... If a guy would have take a run on Grabovski, it would have been the job of Lapierre, Bégin. Not Laraque.

And for the past two games, Laraque was solid in the offensive zone. He will only get better with his game shape!
Fixed.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Seems to me that it's the Habs org. being pressured to do something they weren't that interested after all.

Honestly, what's the point in having Laraque going head to head against the other tough guy? Is that really what he was brought here to do? Seems to me that the purpose was that nobody would be as physical as they were before....hello? If there's something, they're more physical. And clearly both Thornton's and Fritz's fight made Laraque look like a human being. Make me thing that people are not that afraid anymore. But I really thought that while Laraque could not go and fight Grabovski, at the very least he could go in front of the net and play with Toskala a little....you hit Grabovski with a solid bodycheck....if you can catch him....He probably can't fight smaller guys but he has to make his presence known at one point....and it's not only with going against the other tough guy that he makes a point....

Another thing....a guy that openly admits that he hates fighting but do it 'cause it's his job might be considered too much of a nice guy.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Seems to me that it's the Habs org. being pressured to do something they weren't that interested after all.

Honestly, what's the point in having Laraque going head to head against the other tough guy? Is that really what he was brought here to do? Seems to me that the purpose was that nobody would be as physical as they were before....hello? If there's something, they're more physical. And clearly both Thornton's and Fritz's fight made Laraque look like a human being. Make me thing that people are not that afraid anymore. But I really thought that while Laraque could not go and fight Grabovski, at the very least he could go in front of the net and play with Toskala a little....you hit Grabovski with a solid bodycheck....if you can catch him....He probably can't fight smaller guys but he has to make his presence known at one point....and it's not only with going against the other tough guy that he makes a point....

Another thing....a guy that openly admits that he hates fighting but do it 'cause it's his job might be considered too much of a nice guy.....
Indeed, Laraque doesn't need to fight to make his presence felt. He just needs to go to the net hard if Toronto's running Price; he needs to get his speed up adequately so he can land a check or two on the forecheck, to neutralize guys like Schenn who may be rattled by Laraque.

Anyway, I don't mind the signing still, but I find players like Lapierre are worse for it. Granted, down the stretch, in the playoffs, in a series against a team like Boston, or Philly, Washington, Ottawa, etc., then Laraque would be very useful. But if Montreal were to go up against Buffalo, Carolina, NJ, Pittsburgh, then I would consider Laraque the 13th forward.

Old
11-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Yea so far he's been fairly quiet. Laraque has been mainly one of defending guys but have not seen him once play the agressor and bring an intimidating factor to his game. I have the feeling everytime someone come to MTL because of the limelight of playing for this glorious franchise, they lose their edge.

Time will tell if that's the case here.

Quote:

Except when Chris Neil was hitting everybody from the Pens two years ago, rendering Malkin useless and Therrien refused to send George on the ice, that was the turning point in the Sens-Pens series. The Pens were easy pick-em after that.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-09-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Corey

Georges should have been unleashed against Toronto. What is he being held back for?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

Nice guys always finish last.

Make of that what you will.

Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:21 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
what stuns me, is that edmonton were underdogs, with many players playing like crap...but somehow its Laraque's fault.

what stuns me also, is that Malkin and Crosby had difficult games , along with pits defensive unit... but , of course, laraque is to blame for that...

I agree with your post, I don't understand why people are being laraque haters because he never won the cup ...

Based on that logic, why is koivu still on our team

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Well aren't you Mr. Goody Two Shoes, with those rational responses and keeping your emotions in check here.
lol..It's not being a Mr. Goody Two Shoes, it's being Mature. Plus, I'm not fully awake yet.

Old
11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
If Grab (little puke as i refer to him) would have fought Sergeď he would have felt like Kostopoulos fighting Chris Neil (read: owned).

And ther's not a lot of people in the league who would accept to drop the gloves with Laraque, he doesn't have the choice to fight enforcers, or else he would have to attack unwilling opponent take a penality and be suspended. I think that komisarek should go back to his old habits and take on fighters that are afraid of Laraque.
Agreed 100% there. While it sucks to lose a d-man for 5 minutes (and maybe he's waiting for that RD weakness to get addressed) but Komisarek needs to get involved in that aspect of the game alot more. It's all fine and dandy that he blocks shots, throws hits, and plays decent defense, but this season he seems more content with watching a replay on the jumbotron during a scrum than grabbing a guy by the collar and giving him a word or more.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
what stuns me, is that edmonton were underdogs, with many players playing like crap...but somehow its Laraque's fault.

what stuns me also, is that Malkin and Crosby had difficult games , along with pits defensive unit... but , of course, laraque is to blame for that...

I agree with your post, I don't understand why people are being laraque haters because he never won the cup ...

Based on that logic, why is koivu still on our team
lol..I know, some people just can't grasp that hockey is a team sport. That it takes a full roster of players, not just a few to win the cup.